PDA

View Full Version : Problems, Problems, Problems!

deltaenterprizes
04-17-2023, 10:31 PM
I bought some 7.62x39 brass from a member here and wanted to deprime it before tumbling.
The first case I tried to deprime broke the pin of my LEE universal decapping die!
After a couple of tries to locate a suitable rod to make a replacement I decided to fix the original rod but I had done a repair previously by drilling a hole in the top of the rod and installing a decapping pin.
Now I had a rod with broken pins in both ends!😡
I heated the end with the original pin red hot and sharpened the.070” drill bit and successfully drilled out the original pin!
The hole is a little over sized so I used some Loctite to hold it in and decapped all of the brass without any problems!
If I break the pin, a little heat to soften the Loctite and I will be back in business!

rbuck351
04-17-2023, 11:21 PM
Military M16 cleaning rod sections are just the right diameter.

jmorris
04-18-2023, 08:42 AM
If you don’t over tighten the collet, the stem will slide up before the pin breaks.

challenger_i
04-18-2023, 04:27 PM
Just checking: have you checked the brass to ensure it is Boxer-Primed?

Guncrank
04-18-2023, 08:57 PM

Thank you RB!

That's some valuable info!!!

GC

deltaenterprizes
04-19-2023, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the info! I searched all over and couldn’t find anything the right diameter!

deltaenterprizes
04-19-2023, 05:03 AM
Just checking: have you checked the brass to ensure it is Boxer-Primed?
Yes, I did and I don’t know why the pin broke!

deltaenterprizes
04-19-2023, 05:04 AM
If you don’t over tighten the collet, the stem will slide up before the pin breaks.

For some reason these primers were a little tighter than normal.
This happened on the first one!

Larry Gibson
04-19-2023, 08:26 AM
What make of cases?

jmorris
04-19-2023, 09:35 AM
For some reason these primers were a little tighter than normal.
This happened on the first one!

I have had some with tight flash holes that pulled the pin out but I always try and set the collet to slip before there is enough force to break anything.

ulav8r
04-19-2023, 11:18 PM
So far, I have only used my universal decapper to prepare some 9mm brass I purchased from the s&s section here. Many of the primers were tight and the pin kept slipping. I tightened it down as much as I dared with an 8 inch cresent wrench. It would still slip occasionally and not remove the primer. I would then tap on the pin with a hammer to drive the primer out so I could remove the case from the shellholder.

lcclower
04-20-2023, 10:40 AM
Is it the dimensions of the primers and pockets or just Chuck Norris grade crimps?

deltaenterprizes
04-20-2023, 11:04 AM
What make of cases?
S&B and Hornady, I think it was the Hornady with the small primer pocket that I tried first, they were crimped.