PDA

View Full Version : 0-turn mower vs. tractor style mower

porthos
04-16-2023, 07:54 PM
i've always used "tractor" mowers. probably going to get a new riding mower. i cut 3/4 acre of pretty lumpy ground. are there advantages and/or disadvantages to either??

Winger Ed.
04-16-2023, 08:00 PM
That's about how much I mow with a 43" lawn tractor.
A 'O' turn is wider and would do it faster. For me the time saving isn't worth the extra expense of the O turn.
As far as ride comfort, I don't see much difference when going over bumps.

metricmonkeywrench
04-16-2023, 08:02 PM
I’m on a little over 2 acre site and a rider is about the right size. For 3/4 of an acre I don’t think a zero turn would even get up to operating temp.

I think your right between a large self propelled push mower or a small rider.

HWooldridge
04-16-2023, 08:15 PM
I vote for zero turn hands down - they are much faster and more efficient. I have a 42” Toro and a 60” John Deere; we mow our acre where the house is located, and another acre that our son lives on down the road from us. You’ll spend 4-6k for a new one, depending on size and brand - but you’ll never go back to a tractor style once you use a ZRT.

farmbif
04-16-2023, 08:19 PM
o turn is easier to maneuver around stuff like cutting close in around trees, backing up and turning around quick and getting in and out of tight spots. depending on mower the tractor style may ride smoother on bumpy ground but a lot depends on how fast your moving . when my grasshopper was running it would cut while moving at a pretty good clip and I would find myself slowing down because it would beat me up pretty good, nothing is flat or smooth on my property.
what ive found in looking at different new mowers over the past few years is for $3000-$5000 if cared for and using non ethanol gas for taking care of 1 acre it would probably last a long time.
keep in mind there is a big difference between commercial engines and homeowner engines. if there is an option to get a Kawasaki, Honda or Kohler commercial engine on the mower it will most likely last much longer.

G W Wade
04-16-2023, 08:30 PM
ZTR is great especially if you have a lot of trees or bushes to go around. I believe they are rougher riding. The suspension is how much air you run in the ear tires, I bought the bottom of the line John Deere at Lowes a few years ago for $2500 and good military discount. No problems. FYI the JD sold at Lowes is the same mower sold at the JD store. More attachments are available for lawn tractors GW

Edward
04-16-2023, 08:30 PM
My Zero turn Toro just got replaced with another after 13 yrs of hard use , never use a tractor again ! Tractors are slow /poor turning/ backing up/ useless about covers it!/Ed

Thundarstick
04-16-2023, 09:33 PM
A small 0 turn! Ferris makes one with suspension. One disadvantage of a zero turn? They can be a bear to operate on moderate to steep slopes. The front has a tendency to pull you down hill, and can get the operator into a hairy situation quickly. Much depends on what you have to mow around as to the time saving aspect of the one turn.

dverna
04-16-2023, 09:39 PM
3/4 of an acre is not much grass to mow. I love my ZT but it would be overkill for your needs.

I cut about 2 acres and it takes 45-50 minutes.

Get a decent rider.

Cast10
04-16-2023, 09:43 PM
I have both. Cub RZT50 and John Deere X320. Both run Kawasaki motors.

John Deere, hands down. This ain’t a HD or Lo’s model, this one you get at the JD dealership. It will turn sharp! Did I say it will turn sharp?

Hilly terrain, rough; tractor style.

pworley1
04-16-2023, 09:52 PM
You are the only one who knows what you need. If you haven't used a zero turn ask a friend who has one to let you try it out then make your choice.

Finster101
04-16-2023, 09:58 PM
you can get a 42" zero turn. For cutting grass there is no better tool. The maneuverability over a lawn tractor can not even be compared. Get a zero turn.

Finster101
04-16-2023, 10:02 PM
A small 0 turn! Ferris makes one with suspension. One disadvantage of a zero turn? They can be a bear to operate on moderate to steep slopes. The front has a tendency to pull you down hill, and can get the operator into a hairy situation quickly. Much depends on what you have to mow around as to the time saving aspect of the one turn.

This can be dealt with simply by putting better tires on the rear. I am running ATV tires on mine and it don't slide. You can get it stuck, but you have to work at it.

Reg
04-16-2023, 10:27 PM
Have both a zero turn and two JD riders. Both have plus and minuses. Biggest thing with the zero turn is you are sitting lower. On just a lawn there is not a problem but we use ours not only for the grass on the lawn but for all general mowing around the place. Some grass, some weeds, some dry stuff you name it. By sitting lower you are right down in it in the kicked up dirt and debris but on a rider you are sitting higher and often out of what ever is thrown up.

Finster101
04-16-2023, 10:34 PM
Have both a zero turn and two JD riders. Both have plus and minuses. Biggest thing with the zero turn is you are sitting lower. On just a lawn there is not a problem but we use ours not only for the grass on the lawn but for all general mowing around the place. Some grass, some weeds, some dry stuff you name it. By sitting lower you are right down in it in the kicked up dirt and debris but on a rider you are sitting higher and often out of what ever is thrown up.

Are you using a mulching deck?

ascast
04-16-2023, 10:40 PM
buy a Ferris

Paf
04-16-2023, 10:53 PM
I asked the members on this forum last year about what type of zero turn mower I should get for my parents place. After a bit of research, I selected a Toro 50 inch deck with the "My-Ride" suspension system. Was home two weeks ago and had it delivered. Drove around the yard to try it out. Looking forward to see how it does with the lawn this summer!

gc45
04-16-2023, 11:06 PM
for me, zero turn is awful on rough ground; sold mine and bought a new Deere X380, very happy. My son has an Xmark but very flat ground, he love it and I do as well, on his place!

Reg
04-17-2023, 12:46 AM
Are you using a mulching deck?

Standard Hustler Raptor

Czech_too
04-17-2023, 05:06 AM
Since moving here, on this 1/2 acre 'bumpy' lot I've used a push mower, riding mower, commercial style walk behind & now a zero turn. The push mower, in 90 degree weather, will give you heat stroke, the rider will leave a wash board effect on the ground, think moist ground here, the walk behind was nice but after some years the knees didn't appreciate it anymore. Opted for the zero turn due to it's maneuverability, lower center of gravity & it's weight.

Thundarstick
04-17-2023, 05:07 AM
This can be dealt with simply by putting better tires on the rear. I am running ATV tires on mine and it don't slide. You can get it stuck, but you have to work at it.

It is also dependent on the wight of the z turn over the rear wheels. My first z turn was a small 42 inch cut snapper. It was light weight, and prefect for my smaller yard in town, but it nearly got me killed once before I realized one wheel was spinning forward and the other reverse, and I was on a sleigh ride to disaster! There are plenty of instances of folks being killed because a Z turn took them over an edge!

Finster101
04-17-2023, 06:52 AM
Standard Hustler Raptor

Put the mulch kit on it. Won't be near as dirty. Plus you don't have what seems like two feet of discharge chute hanging out there to bounce off of everything. I have that same mower by the way.

dverna
04-17-2023, 07:19 AM
IMO spending north of $5000 for a mower to cut 3/4 of an acre is silly. You have had some high end machines suggested.

Reminds me of a post similar to yours on a tractor forum. The guy had 2 acres to mow and was getting recommendations for $13,000 ZT's.

Once you have sorted through all this advice, go to a place or two that sells mowers. Not a Home Depot or Tractor Supply but a real small engine shop. They know your local conditions and hear what they have to say.

wildwilly501
04-17-2023, 07:46 AM
Couple things a zero turn is faster but if you’re not careful will tear up your yard turning.Narrow places or in the shade where the sod is thin it’s hard not to.If you have any steep hills that you have to turn on they will take off get away whatever you want to call it.The big commercial mowers aren’t too bad but the smaller home owner ones area putting aggressive tires on will just tear up your yard more.They do ride rough I have a Ferris which rides about the best but you’re not getting one new for 5or 6 thousand but I mow a lot more than 2 or 3 acres.

openbook
04-17-2023, 07:48 AM
Good advice from dverna. Like has been said a large zero-turn would make short work of 3/4 acre. Legit under 20 minutes. I'd recommend while you're at the small engine store ask if they might know someone who's selling a good used machine. I wouldn't pay for a new mower, the quality of new machines is so low these days you're not buying yourself any peace of mind. You're going to wind up fixing something on it inside of 24 months, so buy a used machine for less than half the money. FWIW I mow with a 60" diesel Kubota, bought used with 900 hours. In your shoes I'd probably look for a used Toro or Raptor Hustler, zero-turn, with a responsible-looking owner. The z-turns are very convenient.

There might be mower cos. who are putting out quality that's worth paying floor price for. I'm commenting b/o general quality of manufacturing—not intimate familiarity with the mower industry.

One thing that hasn't been addressed is maintenance. I haven't owned a ride-on-top tractor mower. Can some of you guys who have both tractors and z-turns comment on the relative maintenance burden of each?

Finster101
04-17-2023, 07:58 AM
For a 3/4 acre lot it would be a long time before the trans axles would need serviced. Oil changes and belts are the same as any other type mower. A good home owner grade machine can be had for well under 5k. I agree with looking for a good used one. I bought mine of Facebook with 100 hrs on it and it looked liked new. They are out there.

rockrat
04-17-2023, 09:21 AM
JD brought out a couple of 0 turn mowers for the wife to try. She said they just about beat her to death. Tried to get the Cub cadet dealer to bring out a few, but after a couple of phone calls and no response , I gave up. Ended up buying her a JD x304, 4 wheel steer, which she likes. I have a JD 445 I use, also a 4 wheel steer. If you include the pasture, might have about 2.5 acres to mow, otherwise, lawn is about an acre. Takes about an hour and a half to mow. Lots of trees in the yard.

Rich/WIS
04-17-2023, 09:40 AM
Cut about 2 acres with a Ferris IS 700Z 52" and takes a little over an hour. Suspension is adjustable to help with bumpy ground. This is a commercial mower and other than normal maintenance has not been a problem in the 7 years I have owned it. The comments on steep ground and tearing up the sod are spot on and when I got mine had to alter my mowing patterns to accommodate slopes. If you have a steep spot go slow and experiment with the direction you mow. I bought it when I lived in WI and the dealer was 10 miles away, when I moved to KY that changed, nearest dealer is 70 miles away, but normal maintenance does not require a dealer nearby. Check out who your nearby dealers are also what the local lawn care companies use before deciding on a brand. Down here in my part of KY the popular brand is SCAG. The advice to go to a dealer versus Lowes or Home Depot is absolutely correct. When I bought mine new 7 tears or so ago was just under 7K and something in that range now probably closer to 8-9K, but will vary according to the size mower you get. When I moved here I was the only one with a ZT mower, noticed over the years that the several neighbors replaced their riders with ZT mowers after watching me mow.

ascast
04-17-2023, 10:02 AM
You might price a landscaping service to mow for you. I am not pushing in that direction, but lots of urban people do. They all use ZTs. Around here ALL Ferris as well as Stihl with a load of other trimmers and etc., but who cares ? you in the house sipping a cool one. Might be worh a look.

porthos
04-17-2023, 10:36 AM
the speed of a zero turn would be of no use to me because of my bumpy ground. at this time, it takes me 45 minutes on my cub cadet and 25 minutes with a trim mower and weed wacker. i am going to go with a tractor mower

OS OK
04-17-2023, 10:46 AM
Go ride & mow with a Zero, any brand...when you walk away you may not be able to meet the $ to get one but...you will forever wish you had one.

https://i.imgur.com/6lTsib5l.jpg

This mower will pull a vacuum all day and not complain.

https://i.imgur.com/5NDgmdIl.jpg

I can't imagine towing this vacuum with my old rider...

Froogal
04-17-2023, 10:58 AM
I have 1.74 acres. Not too many years ago I used a Farmall H with a 6' belly mower. Worked good out in the open areas, but then had to use a rear engined Snapper for the tighter areas, and then finished up with a push mower. 3 different rigs just to mow the lawn.

I started looking at zero turns. Bought a 42" Country Clipper with the joy stick steering. Right at $4,000.

Figured on still using the Farmall where I could, and finish up with the zero turn. Did it that way maybe twice and then did the whole lawn with the zero turn just as an experiment. SURPRISE SURPRISE. I got done in way less time and the lawn looked even better.

I gave the Snapper away. The Farmall got parked in a shed where it still sets, and I bought a cordless string trimmer for the close up work.

Should have gone with the zero turn many years ago.

MaryB
04-17-2023, 11:00 AM
I mow 1 1/2 acres(my yard and the neighbors plus an empty lot) with a 10 year old Sears tractor with hydrostatic drive. Take me about 2-3 hours(LOTS of obstacles) depending on how tall/wet the grass is. When I had to replace a blade tower bearing I borrowed a friends zero turn... it beat the crap out of me and it is a commercial model. Also fought it on some slopes I have to deal with. Ended up taking me an hour longer to mow because I had to slow down to keep my spine from being compressed.

ebb
04-17-2023, 11:21 AM
I had a very nice wheel horse rider that I bought ne and had been through 3 decks and was having trouble finding another (sand and Florida). Tried a very used dixie chopper, and would never go back to a garden tractor. The zero turn is a commercial mower, none of the garden tractors are commercial. My was worn out when I bought it and I have done some work to it but Ive been using it for 20 years. They now make zero turns that are not commercial mowers so be aware. Get a good one even a used mower and it will last you the rest of your life

racepres
04-17-2023, 11:35 AM
10 acres total...two different places (just across the Creek tho) Industrial tractor (40+ Horse) with a Landscape 3-point behind!!
also a John Deere Rider... No Zero turns for us...thanks.. use one at the Folks.. only advantage is trimming... and My Bitter Half still uses a Walk behind for some of that.. she gets mad if some aint left for her to do!!!
If it don't got a Drink Holder... or the drink jumps outta the holder... I don't want it.. Thanks..
Boils down to just like Driving... what the Hell is the Hurry???? Course...we likely take the Bike!!!!! No Hurries...No Worries..

Reg
04-17-2023, 12:57 PM
Put the mulch kit on it. Won't be near as dirty. Plus you don't have what seems like two feet of discharge chute hanging out there to bounce off of everything. I have that same mower by the way.

I will check into that. Thank you!

Finster101
04-17-2023, 01:20 PM
I understand Portho's point of view. It is just more mower than he needs. You don't drive finish nails with a 2lb ball peen.

HWooldridge
04-17-2023, 01:42 PM
A portion of the cost decision boils down to how much time do you want to spend? I've been mowing lawns since I was about 8 years old - my grandparents gave me an old mechanical reel mower before I graduated to a Huffy push mower. At this point in my life, I am no longer enamored with yard work.

My first ZRT cost me $1000 about ten years ago - it was a used 42" Toro and still runs. Before that, I did most of the rough work with a 6' shredder on the back of a tractor and string trimmed the rest. The Toro saved time, because it ran faster and more nimble, so it left less trim work. The JD takes even less time so that's yet another efficiency improvement. People make comments about spending several thousand dollars on a mower but how much time do you want to spend on the job? A push mower is great for a postage stamp yard but I'll stick with the ZRT for my current situation.

Froogal
04-17-2023, 01:51 PM
The beauty of any zero turn mower is NOT how fast it will go. The time saving comes from the fact that you can do the up close trimming as you go. When you're done, you're done.

Fishman
04-17-2023, 02:27 PM
What Froogal says. Spot on.

My yard is bumpy and about 3/4 acre with a lot of obstacles. ZTR saves me a half hour of mowing over the lawn tractor I had, and quite a bit more in trimming. 1-2 hrs of saved time every mow is significant when you have a regular job and a side business and . . . etc. Plus a ZTR is fun to mow with, if that is possible.

RickinTN
04-17-2023, 02:38 PM
As has already been mentioned....I own a home we don't live in but I pay a service to cut the lawn. It is 3/4 acre. They charge me $45 per cut and mow it every other week. I don't know how long I can pay them for what a new mower would cost. If I were to cut it myself I would buy a 36' to 42" lawn tractor, preferably used, and go at it.
We live on 5 1/2 acres which I used to mow myself. 18 years ago I bought a used Kubota 22 horse diesel lawn tractor with a 60" deck. I believe I paid $6,300 for it. I have some hilly terrain I wouldn't try to cut with a zero turn. I now have a general helper I have hired and he cuts for me on my tractor. It takes him about 6 hours to do the 5 1/2 acres.
I can't see spending lots of money on something fancy just to cut 3/4 acre.
Take care, and good luck!
Rick

popper
04-17-2023, 02:52 PM
SIL has a ZT JD2 blade. Works great for the slightly sloped 2 acre yard. He still finishes around trees with stihl trimmer. I've mowed one pasture with the JD tractor and bush hog, both are noisy and dirty. Wear hearing and mask helps. I'd rather use the ZT for 1/2 hr than the tractor for 2 hrs in hot sun.

GregLaROCHE
04-17-2023, 03:17 PM
My neighbor bought one a couple of years ago and I was really impressed with what he could do with it. I guess he cuts around two acres with it, but it doesn’t have a lot of straight runs to do. There’s a lot of trees and shrubs he has to go around. Unless there’s really something you need a tractor to do, I think the O turn mower’s are the best bet cheaper and probably consume less fuel.

OS OK
04-17-2023, 03:59 PM
Everybody's always worried about time! Mowing is therapudic...enjoy your sessions and forget the dang time!

One tip-n-trick for making less of a job of it is to make significantly 'less turns' in the overall mow job.
My front is 2 acres, I've chopped it up into 3 major pretty much equal size sections...all full of trees to zip around but that's the ticket for the front.

In the rear is another 2 acres & a major slope, that one I have one major sized section with 150 yard runs between turns and then 2 smaller sections that go pretty quickly but more turns in those.

Once a year in the fall, I'll cut my 2 acre pasture down for the winter but it is just one huge curved rectangle section with 4 corners.

I know that when I get going I hate to stop & get off and pick something up (dog & kid toys or whatever you have to watch out for) so...I cary one of those long reach tong looking tools on board so I can pick things up without getting off the mower. For time savings & aggravation savings & dulling the blades opportunities...a long grabber is a must!

Best thing is to forget the time it takes...enjoy the day and the smell of the fresh cut grass...soak up some good'ole Vitamin 10 and work on your tan. :bigsmyl2:

Mk42gunner
04-17-2023, 05:46 PM
For 3/4 acre of somewhat bumpy ground, I'd look for a decent rider with a 38-46" deck.

I think money for a zero turn would be wasted, you won't be able to use the speed potential.

Don't get one of the old rear engine Snappers, they ride rough. I had one and liked the way it cut, but it beat me to death riding it.

Don't get a Craftsman 42" deck from about 2000 on, the mower deck spindles are junk. I replaced one and made it 3/4 around my yard before it went to pieces. No I didn't hit anything with it either.

Two of the best riders I ever had were a Murray 12 HP/38" cut from the early eighties and a Cub Cadet from about the same era.

The absolute best rider I ever had was a Yanmar 12HP diesel YK122 IIRC. It was a good lawn and garden tractor, until the hydraulics went out. Zero parts support. It weighed close to 900 lbs and filled the back of my pickup from the toolbox to the tailgate.

Robert

Finster101
04-17-2023, 05:54 PM
I don't understand why a lawn tractor would ride any better than a zero turn. Can someone explain that to me?

Ford SD
04-17-2023, 07:09 PM
I don't understand why a lawn tractor would ride any better than a zero turn. Can someone explain that to me?

most of the zero the zero turn mowers have a hard front wheel

4 tires filled with air = softer ride

also if sharpening blades or replacing blades check for balance

I replaces some blades on for the outlaws :) and the center hole was off center about 1/16 of a inch = 1/8 longer on one side

did not balance so I ground the end of the blade so the hole was equal distance to the center, then it balanced

Finster101
04-17-2023, 07:11 PM
I have never, never seen a zero turn that had solid front wheels and I have looked at a lot of them. Why would blade balancing be less important on tractor with two or three blades than a zero turn with the same number of blades?

Mk42gunner
04-17-2023, 08:14 PM
I think it has to do with the relatively small front wheels and the speed most of them seem to run at. Kind of like the rear engine Snappers, unless the lawn is smooth you feel each and every bump.

I just got done mowing my yard with my Kubota L175 w/ Woods L59 belly mower. Nice smooth ride on my very rough "lawn", but it is way too much for a small yard.

Robert

megasupermagnum
04-17-2023, 09:04 PM
Back when I worked on a farm I often had to mow the yard and ditches. Not mowing hay mind you, just keeping the grass down around grain bins, equipment, etc. I'd guess it was somewhere around 20 acres. After using both a rider and a zero turn, I honestly don't think there's a huge difference in ride if by bumpy you mean rough ground. Even mowing ditches I liked the zero turn. Some claim they don't work as good, but I felt much more secure on one, than on any riding tractor. The riding tractor you would spend your day leaning way over, grabbing the handle on the fender, the other cranking on the wheel. It's not that fun. It's not fun on a zero turn either, but you just basically sit there, one arm way more forward than the other.

The riding tractor has two huge advantages to the average person. They are multi-functional, and they can be cheap. I never could understand why anyone would buy a brand new one for $2000+ when there are so many perfectly good ones used for cheap and often free. I still remember one time picking up a riding tractor, said free on it at the end of a driveway. Got it home, and the only thing wrong with it was the drive belt was shredded. You just don't find deals like that with zero turn mowers. If you do, get it. From a purely mowing perspective I can't think of anything a riding tractor does better. The constant back and forth around trees and such on a riding tractor is enough to make a person insane.

Honestly the very best thing for rough, rooted yard around trees and such is a push mower. That's what I use now, a push mower, and I mow about 3/4 acre of my grass. Get a bigger and self propelled one, and it would be a breeze.

owejia
04-18-2023, 08:30 AM
Bought a zero turn mower 3 years ago. The old 73 + yr old legs did not like following a self propelled push mower any more, my house is on a hill so not much level ground to mow. Put tractor tires on the o turn mower for up and down hill mowing. I use it to mow around my boundary electric fence on 70 + acres. Saves a lot of weed eating. On the interior electric fences can mow under the wire on both sides which really save a lot of weed eating. Basically use it like a mini tractor for small projects instead of the AC 185 diesel. Mow the side of the road and ditch by my house. Goes where a riding tractor mower will not go. Pastures are mowed with the AC 185 and 15 ft. batwing bush hog. As poster #44 says enjoy your mowing time, cause eventually you will not be able to do it. Sold my cabbed tractor this year but still love getting on my open station tractor and mowing my pastures. Fresh air, sunshine and the smell of diesel smoke, will enjoy while I can.

racepres
04-18-2023, 08:41 AM
Everybody's always worried about time! Mowing is therapudic...enjoy your sessions and forget the dang time!

One tip-n-trick for making less of a job of it is to make significantly 'less turns' in the overall mow job.
My front is 2 acres, I've chopped it up into 3 major pretty much equal size sections...all full of trees to zip around but that's the ticket for the front.

In the rear is another 2 acres & a major slope, that one I have one major sized section with 150 yard runs between turns and then 2 smaller sections that go pretty quickly but more turns in those.

Once a year in the fall, I'll cut my 2 acre pasture down for the winter but it is just one huge curved rectangle section with 4 corners.

I know that when I get going I hate to stop & get off and pick something up (dog & kid toys or whatever you have to watch out for) so...I cary one of those long reach tong looking tools on board so I can pick things up without getting off the mower. For time savings & aggravation savings & dulling the blades opportunities...a long grabber is a must!

Best thing is to forget the time it takes...enjoy the day and the smell of the fresh cut grass...soak up some good'ole Vitamin 10 and work on your tan. :bigsmyl2:

There Is a Very Good Reason that I must have a Cup (can actually) Holder:)

Froogal
04-18-2023, 09:07 AM
most of the zero the zero turn mowers have a hard front wheel

4 tires filled with air = softer ride

also if sharpening blades or replacing blades check for balance

I replaces some blades on for the outlaws :) and the center hole was off center about 1/16 of a inch = 1/8 longer on one side

did not balance so I ground the end of the blade so the hole was equal distance to the center, then it balanced

ALL 4 tires on mine are pneumatic. The ride is no worse or any better than any lawn tractor I have operated.

Froogal
04-18-2023, 09:13 AM
A couple of the road banks are steep enough that I was a bit apprehensive with the zero turn at first, but I developed a technique. Requires going slower and anticipating a bit, but we git-er-done.

racepres
04-18-2023, 09:44 AM
ALL 4 tires on mine are pneumatic. The ride is no worse or any better than any lawn tractor I have operated.
Not been My Experience... But, I buy the Tractor with the Largest Diameter Tires... Don't want my beverages Spilt!!!

BTW I can Operate the folks Zero Turn with one hand... not for extended periods... but doable... it still Spills!!!!!

MaryB
04-18-2023, 12:54 PM
I think the zero turn is rougher riding because of the wheel footprint... wider track... so when both my front wheels of the lawn tractor were going into one of my sinking spots(old outhouse holes? Old septic tank? Who knows! Lot of junk buried in my yard including some bodies according to legend, my house was the old midwives house) only one of the zero turns went in making that corner dip and snap my spine side to side... something not good for my bad back!

OS OK
04-18-2023, 04:06 PM
I think the zero turn is rougher riding because of the wheel footprint... wider track... so when both my front wheels of the lawn tractor were going into one of my sinking spots(old outhouse holes? Old septic tank? Who knows! Lot of junk buried in my yard including some bodies according to legend, my house was the old midwives house) only one of the zero turns went in making that corner dip and snap my spine side to side... something not good for my bad back!

YOU DON'T NEED AN ARTICULATING SPINE-SAVING LAWNMOWER...you need a dump truck full of topsoil to level your graveyard. :bigsmyl2:

Smoke4320
04-18-2023, 04:16 PM
For many years I have mowed Approx 5 acres of Grass with lots of trees and bunkers (paintball field) and approx 1.5 acres of house yard again with 10 plus trees with a tractor mower. A few years ago I was lent a JD Zero Turn Mower.
Job was literally done in half the time and done without tire trenches from trying to make sharp turns with ribbed tractor tires.
for my situation a Zero Turn is the only way now.

If your 3/4 acre yard is virtually treeless/obstacle free a tractor mower might be just fine. Add things you have to go around/stop/start to change direction zero turn all the way
but then you have to weight is saving that time worth the extra zero turn expense.. For me definitely for you very possibly not

farmbif
04-18-2023, 04:17 PM
just came back from farmers coop. they have Husqvarna and ferris. the cheapest riding mower, a husky tractor $2999. cheapest husky zero turn just over $5000, the top of the line that they had in husky zero turn $13300, nice, very nice, the ferris looks like real well built mower, the 500 model just under $6000, the 800 model, $11100, most all had Kawasaki engines I put that is800 zero turn ferris on my wish list, you know, for when that winning lottery ticket comes in.

dverna
04-18-2023, 05:29 PM
just came back from farmers coop. they have Husqvarna and ferris. the cheapest riding mower, a husky tractor $2999. cheapest husky zero turn just over $5000, the top of the line that they had in husky zero turn $13300, nice, very nice, the ferris looks like real well built mower, the 500 model just under $6000, the 800 model, $11100, most all had Kawasaki engines I put that is800 zero turn ferris on my wish list, you know, for when that winning lottery ticket comes in.

When I win the lottery, I am having AstroTurf installed.

Finster101
04-18-2023, 07:20 PM

Husky today at Lowes when I was there was less than $3500.00. For 3/4 acre property the mower will most likely outlast the user. You do not need a commercial grade machine for this.

porthos
04-18-2023, 07:33 PM
ENOUGH guys. i am going to buy a tractor style mower. i will tell you a short story: bought a cub cadet at a cub cadet dealer in 2013. at 36 hours the transmission quit. called the dealer. cost was around $1000.00. 36 hours was under warranty but the 5 years had passed. cub cadet, never again!!

racepres
04-18-2023, 07:46 PM
ENOUGH guys. i am going to buy a tractor style mower. i will tell you a short story: bought a cub cadet at a cub cadet dealer in 2013. at 36 hours the transmission quit. called the dealer. cost was around $1000.00. 36 hours was under warranty but the 5 years had passed. cub cadet, never again!!
Last I knew...Cub Cadet is actually an MTD... In Fact, these days...Most mowers are in fact MTD... Not JD of course, except big box store JD's. nor Simplicity, a couple others certainly.. Bush Hog comes to Mind!! Possibly Husqvarna Not MTD..
BTW... Most claims are that Cub Cadet is one of the best..homeowner type lawn and garden brands... possible you got a Lemon..Or??

Finster101
04-18-2023, 08:11 PM

Porthos, not trying to sway you one or the other you stated your choice was made which I acknowledged. There are statements being made that are untrue and that bothers me, but at your request I will desist.

Moleman-
04-18-2023, 09:02 PM
We have a 2012 JD x720 which was renumbered as the x730 because they offered a bucket kit for it but didn''t put ROPS on all of the x720's sold. So number change and no more bucket kit. We mow 2.5 acres and have a long driveway and lots of concrete parking that needs cleared of in the winter. The X720/X730 with a 62' deck leaves about an 18" circle unmowed when turning tight with effortless power steering. If you have sapplings or small trees you're not going to want to skin the bark off of them so that's about perfect. Most of our trees are bigger in diameter and the few little ones we put the rubber mulch rings around which keep you from having to weed whip anything. 27HP EFI water cooled kawasaki engine has been maintenace free for the past 11 years. Replaced the battery one time and it's about time for another one. I do have a preemptive new set of bearings for the deck spindles and usually replace the guide wheels every couple years along with sharpening the blades 2-3 times a season. The 6 way hydraulic snow blade makes quick work of snow and being in MI we get lots of it. There is a replacement wear bar on ebay for the 54 snow blade that is thicker than the JD part and also made from AR400 steel that is cheaper than the JD part and lasts longer. Cut strips from the old ar400 bar and weld them to the bottoms of the snow blade guide feet for longer lasting guide feet.

Before getting the JD we used a 1985 IHC Cub Cadet 682 with a 50" deck. Neighbor used the 782 which is the same tractor with a hydro cylinder for raising the deck. They leave about a 5' circle when mowing so the x720/x730 is a much better upgrade. The hydrostat on his 1893 782 needed a rebuild and he borrowed our mower. Take a guess what's sitting in his pole barn now?

brokeasajoke
04-18-2023, 09:10 PM
Scag, cub, ferris, gravely, toro, snapper pro(ferris in disguise) in walk behinds , ztr and 3 wheels mowers. I've run several and owned several. Ztr sucks on hills, walk behinds rule on hills. Yet to run a surfer style . I don't care what name is on it, I look at transaxles and engine mainly and then features. On the commercial side they use a lot of the same trans and engines across models.

ulav8r
04-18-2023, 09:10 PM
Porthos, not trying to sway you one or the other you stated your choice was made which I acknowledged. There are statements being made that are untrue and that bothers me, but at your request I will decease.

He did not say he wanted you to die. Perhaps you should just desist.

Finster101
04-18-2023, 09:17 PM
He did not say he wanted you to die. Perhaps you should just desist.

LOL. Duly noted and edited.

ulav8r
04-18-2023, 09:22 PM
Mowing mom,s 2 acres plus, a 52" ZTR saves about 40 minutes of mowing time, not enough to be a big deal but it is less tiring. Can not see any use in a drink holder, as I do not like having grass clippings and dirt in my drinks. An advantage gained from Covid was the availability of face shields. Wearing a face shield GREATLY reduces the amount of dust blown into my eyes while mowing.

My yard is currently being mowed with a 19" battery powered mower. Last Saturday it took about 25 minutes to mow the front yard. The back takes a little less time, but it is behind a privacy fence so I only mow it every other time.

MaryB
04-19-2023, 11:50 AM
YOU DON'T NEED AN ARTICULATING SPINE-SAVING LAWNMOWER...you need a dump truck full of topsoil to level your graveyard. :bigsmyl2:

Nightcrawlers turn it into a moonscape too... be careful walking across it or twist an ankle!

Moleman-
04-19-2023, 11:57 AM
Nightcrawlers turn it into a moonscape too... be careful walking across it or twist an ankle!

Our area has tons of moles and voles. Trapped almost two dozen last year and one so far this year in the short time between snows. We treat our lawn for grubs and have ducks that like to eat bugs but the neighbors do nothing. So they come into our yard to look around. You may get them all, but the tunnel will remain active even if flattened and bring new ones into your yard. Lawn roller helps some if you use it after a decent rain.

MaryB
04-20-2023, 11:29 AM
Our area has tons of moles and voles. Trapped almost two dozen last year and one so far this year in the short time between snows. We treat our lawn for grubs and have ducks that like to eat bugs but the neighbors do nothing. So they come into our yard to look around. You may get them all, but the tunnel will remain active even if flattened and bring new ones into your yard. Lawn roller helps some if you use it after a decent rain.

To much like work LOL my version of lawn care is I don't care! It is crabgrass and weeds...

OS OK
04-20-2023, 11:45 AM

I've been fighting those lil'buggers forever! I've been keeping the mounds of dirt raked down so that a new hole is easy to spot.
When I do, I hook a hose to the exhaust of the diesel motor of my yard buggy...allow it to idle for about 10 minutes and then cover the hole back.
I am not sure it works all that well...or...there's a lot more of them down there that I never imagined.
We don't use poison or traps that snap because of my dogs.

https://i.imgur.com/n0bwz7zl.jpg

Moleman-
04-20-2023, 12:16 PM
I've been fighting those lil'buggers forever! I've been keeping the mounds of dirt raked down so that a new hole is easy to spot.
When I do, I hook a hose to the exhaust of the diesel motor of my yard buggy...allow it to idle for about 10 minutes and then cover the hole back.
I am not sure it works all that well...or...there's a lot more of them down there that I never imagined.
We don't use poison or traps that snap because of my dogs.

https://i.imgur.com/n0bwz7zl.jpg

Our yard is pretty sandy, as in it's dirty sand down around 18" where it turns to clean tan colored sand. Our old house had lots of clay and you could just stick a hose in it and flood the entire tunnel system. But here the water only goes a few feet before soaking in. I also use an engine, I'll hook up the B&S engine on the old edger and let it run for a while if we can find a new tunnel. No poisons either because after 20 years of using them one of our dogs suddenly thought that the mole pellets were tasty treats. Dog lived but the look on the touchy feely vet who was wanting to send out for $1500+ of testing on top of the bill for pumping his stomach (nerve poison) when I told her I could get a whole new weiner dog for $500 was priceless. Mostly just put out 4 scissor type traps on major runs they keep wanting to use. Much higher success ratio with the scissor traps over the spike type. Grub poison (need to keep the ducks penned for a while after), milky spore, traps, engines, and the occasional pitchfork if I see a new tunnel popping up.

funnyjim014
04-26-2023, 06:14 PM
When using the 0 turn....you use both hands...can't hold the beer unless you dig out your old beer helmet for hands free device

megasupermagnum
04-26-2023, 08:05 PM
When using the 0 turn....you use both hands...can't hold the beer unless you dig out your old beer helmet for hands free device

That's rookie talk, you have to master the art of drinking on the straightaways. :p

snowwolfe
04-26-2023, 08:32 PM
About 7 years ago we moved to Tennessee and needed a riding lawn mower to cut our lawn. I cut about 1.5 acres. Ended up with a JD D130 riding mower. I thought it was the greatest mower ever and was glad I ignored all the advice of my neighbors to buy a zero turn. Second year was not as much fun, 3rd even less. By the 4th year I hated cutting the grass. Mower rode rough and cutting around 25 fruit trees was a royal PITA.
Last month I bought a Bad Boy zero turn with a 54 inch deck. Still learning how to steer it well but this thing is like comparing a Cadillac to a 1 ton truck. Only cut our lawn twice with it but my guess is I decreased my mowing time by 40%. Best part is when I finish my back no longer feels like a herd of cows just walked on it.
If a person can't tell the difference between a middle of the road riding mower compared to a good zero turn they are only fooling themself.
Now, is the price difference worth the money? To me it was. Your opinion many vary.

Rapier
04-26-2023, 08:46 PM
Live in FL so a canopy is a great idea, for any grass cutting, without overhanging trees.

MostlyLeverGuns
04-26-2023, 10:05 PM
Used a Sears riding mower for many years, probably the generic one with lots of labels and colors. Got a John Deere Zero Turn, mowing time reduced to about one third, wider, faster, little difference in ride or 'hill' capability. Well worth the extra cost for more than 5 acres, rifle range to 250 yards, walking paths in rattler season (1/2 mile plus) double pass. Just gets done so much quicker.

shooterg
05-03-2023, 10:53 PM

Cub and maybe others make a ZT with a steering wheel - friend has one with 60" deck . I wish my Toro was like it, can't drink and drive with both hands occupied !

farmbif
05-04-2023, 01:04 PM
ive been struggling to mow my grass for at least about 3 years now since my mower died. using tractor and 4' bushing for wide open and a walk behind for getting close to edges. I finally got the 16 year old grasshopper going again, it sat so long the tires would no longer hold air, I replaced the old turf tires with the ones with bar tread. the tire dont slip on hills anymore. it took less than a hour to get about 4 acres mowed, around rocks, trees buildings. these grasshopper mowers are tough as a tank when they run. I hope to never be without the zero turn again.

alfadan
05-04-2023, 03:10 PM
I asked the members on this forum last year about what type of zero turn mower I should get for my parents place. After a bit of research, I selected a Toro 50 inch deck with the "My-Ride" suspension system. Was home two weeks ago and had it delivered. Drove around the yard to try it out. Looking forward to see how it does with the lawn this summer!

I got the 54" My Ride. Its like mowing in a recliner! Very nice mow-chine.

Paf
05-05-2023, 12:21 AM
Alfaden,
Good to hear about the "My Ride". Can't wait to go try it out myself!

jonp
05-05-2023, 06:07 PM
Nice to hear you got what will work. My 2 cents is that if you have under an acre or two a zero turn is wasted money. A Ferris, Dixie Chopper or the like for a residential lawn is also silly.

TXTad
05-06-2023, 11:53 AM
As long as we're talking zero-turns, what is the lowest priced one that has serviceable transmissions? I have a 42" Toro that will be garbage once the transmissions are shot, which I can tell is approaching. I'd rather have one that I can keep going.

alfadan
05-06-2023, 03:14 PM
I've pondered on the nonservicable hydros. You can drain and fill them but have to remove them to do so.

I figure even if you have to replace both with new units, you'll be money ahead vs. buying a whole new mower.

LeadHead72
05-11-2023, 01:21 PM
We've owned both and Z-turns are amazing. When we moved to our 2.5 acres back in 2004 part of the deal was that the Toro Timecutter (residential unit) stayed with the property. It lasted us for many years and was quite reliable, but the deck (stamped style) finally gave up the ghost once and for all. We crippled along with other options for 3-4 seasons until a year ago when I decided enough was enough and started shopping for another Z-turn. After considering different brands I decided on another Toro and it just so happened that they were offering 48-month 0% financing. While we didn't quite *need* as much of a machine as I ended up choosing (a Titan Max, Havoc edition) it will hopefully last us 15+ years and it is quite heavy duty, being considered entry-level commercial.
It saves a TON of mowing time compared to our old mowers and makes the old TimeCutter (as good as it was) seem like a toy.

Jungle Dave
05-11-2023, 04:04 PM
Husky tractor. I run over everything with it, like a bushhog, and pull my wagon. Can't do that with a zero-turn, I had a John Deere one and tried.

OS OK
05-11-2023, 06:14 PM
Husky tractor. I run over everything with it, like a bushhog, and pull my wagon. Can't do that with a zero-turn, I had a John Deere one and tried.

I'm glad you warned me about them John Deere's, I've been pulling this chopper/vac around since 2017 and haven't realized yet...that I can't do it!

https://i.imgur.com/zXGa19Ml.jpg

You do have one on me though...running a lawn mower as a brush hog. "Why didn't I think of that?" :bigsmyl2:

Finster101
05-11-2023, 07:09 PM
I'm glad you warned me about them John Deere's, I've been pulling this chopper/vac around since 2017 and haven't realized yet...that I can't do it!

You do have one on me though...running a lawn mower as a brush hog. "Why didn't I think of that?" :bigsmyl2:

OS, I'm like you. I learn every day things I CAN'T do yet have managed to for quite a while. We're just lucky I guess.

Jungle Dave
05-11-2023, 07:50 PM
I will admit, that's pretty good :D
Bigger wagon here though...I had to put the tractor kind of tires on the rear so could gain traction on the uphill...the grass tires just don't grab, they just spin....
That's the same Deere I had. I will say one thing...they sure can move...so you got me on speed :bigsmyl2: [smilie=2:

porthos
05-12-2023, 07:44 PM
jeez guys, i started this thread. i think that 5 pages is enough. PLEASE

OS OK
05-12-2023, 10:52 PM
I will admit, that's pretty good :D
Bigger wagon here though...I had to put the tractor kind of tires on the rear so could gain traction on the uphill...the grass tires just don't grab, they just spin....
That's the same Deere I had. I will say one thing...they sure can move...so you got me on speed :bigsmyl2: [smilie=2:

Like You...I had to install ATV tires on the rear of mine too... pulling this vac. on hills it wouldn't put the HP to the ground, it just spun.
The tires they come with are easy on the grass especially with those who like to hot-rod & race cut the acreage...with the ATV tires you have to be careful in tight turns or the inside wheel will dig. You learn quickly to be sensitive on the sticks.

OS OK
05-12-2023, 10:55 PM
jeez guys, i started this thread. i think that 5 pages is enough. PLEASE

Well...it prolly ain't the first time porthos, but you were wrong! :bigsmyl2:

Finster101
05-13-2023, 04:38 PM
What's wrong with the rest of us having a civil discussion?

GONRA
05-13-2023, 06:30 PM
GONRA's Xmark (0 turn) verked great for years.....
Gave it to to SIL when I quit doin' yard verk.....

porthos
05-14-2023, 10:48 AM
OK, i give up!!

Winger Ed.
05-14-2023, 01:12 PM
OK, i give up!!

Just don't take prisoners. Otherwise, you'll have to feed them.

Idaho45guy
05-19-2023, 05:14 AM
I have a double lot in town with a small front yard, a smaller side fenced in yard for the dog, a medium sized side yard, and a large lower yard that is used for parking my trailer.

I currently use a cheap Craftsman push mower to mow everything, and a Murray gas-powered trimmer to clean up. Works fine, but takes hours and I reach my physical limit about half-way through the property. It takes me an entire weekend to do everything. And this time of year, that means every weekend is spent mowing and trimming.

Last weekend, I had to go mow my folk's property since they were still wintering in Arizona and their yard was getting bad. My dad has a Craftsman smaller riding tractor mower and a snapper self-propelled mower. I used both to do their 1-acre parcel.

I had never used a rider before and was enthralled. I got everything done in 3 hours. It was actually fun to ride around on the mower.

My dad said I could get a decent smaller riding mower for $1200.

I went to the Home Depot and Lowes websites and the cheapest tractor mowers were $2000 now. Wow!

My dream of owning a riding mower were dashed, as I only had $1500 saved up. So, I may get a decent self-propelled mower since the Craftsman is 10 years old and upsets me every time I use it due to it clogging up so easy. Or, I could just keep using the old Craftsman and hating life every weekend from now until the first part of July.

jonp
05-19-2023, 04:27 PM

I always wondered if those could tow stuff. That is a redneck setup if I've ever seen one and I salute you.

Meanwhile im using our $50 Craftsman DLT3000 bought at an estate sale to mow after our $100 Cub Cadet finally stopped after 10yrs.

New tires, belt and battery has it running like a top.

TXTad
05-19-2023, 05:00 PM
I always wondered if those could tow stuff. That is a redneck setup if I've ever seen one and I salute you.

Meanwhile im using our $50 Craftsman DLT3000 bought at an estate sale to mow after our $100 Cub Cadet finally stopped after 10yrs.

New tires, belt and battery has it running like a top.

Both of my Toros came with a trailer hitch. My old Timecutter 4235 has a small pin hitch for a small cart or trailer with no stated maximum weight, but I'm sure they expect it to be low. My new Z Master 2000 has a 2" receiver hitch, but a GTW of 250 pounds and no more than 49 lbs tongue weight. I'm sure you can go a little heavier without problems as long as you're not being ridiculous.

jonp
05-20-2023, 11:27 AM
Both of my Toros came with a trailer hitch. My old Timecutter 4235 has a small pin hitch for a small cart or trailer with no stated maximum weight, but I'm sure they expect it to be low. My new Z Master 2000 has a 2" receiver hitch, but a GTW of 250 pounds and no more than 49 lbs tongue weight. I'm sure you can go a little heavier without problems as long as you're not being ridiculous.

They did? 250lbs doesn't sound like much but a wagon full of leaves or something to spread lime isn't very heavy

funnyjim014
05-20-2023, 02:45 PM
If ya go with the zero turn that has the twin sticks.....you can't drink a beer while ya mow lol

Idaho45guy
05-22-2023, 12:42 AM
I just inherited a newer Husqvarna riding mower yesterday when my biological father passed. Horrible way to get a mower.

alfadan
05-22-2023, 08:30 PM
Sorry to you and your family 45guy.

TXTad
05-25-2023, 10:39 AM
They did? 250lbs doesn't sound like much but a wagon full of leaves or something to spread lime isn't very heavy

It is not much. I had to read it twice to make sure it wasn't 250 kg, but it is not.

I suspect it can handle more if you're smart about it, but I bet it wouldn't take much trailer weight to cause major problems if you're trying to pull across a hill, so they went with a very conservative limit.

silvertip47
05-27-2023, 12:00 PM
If you buy a 42" zero turn do not buy the 10 or 11 hp engine. In tall or heavy grass will bog down, know this from using one. Sure wish that I had bought the 23 hp.