PDA

View Full Version : Emergency lighting and outages

barnetmill
04-15-2023, 06:51 PM
This passed over two hours ago. And I lost my power. Once the major storm band, that is the heavy red yellow passed over, I with an umbrella went out and checked the lines. There was a good size branch from a dead tree that was over the wires in the drive way. Line was not down, walked over, looked up at the fuses on two of the poles. one on the street and the other with my transformer and all seemed to be not thrown and went in the house.
What was nice is my installed emergency lights came on. One is battery bulb light that I keep on 24/7, when when the power goes out, it comes on for a few hours, I recently purchased and installed an inexpensive battery backed up unit with two led lights that is permanently plugged in. So the batteries are always charged and light comes on when the power is out. I am not stumbling around looking for a light. I also have these battery booster thingies that have been in flash light they can charge your phone.
Called the power company and the automated voice told me it was the main power line with about 500 plus outages and give a time estimate for repair. It was one hour 45 minutes sooner than stated.

Whole Bunches
04-15-2023, 07:29 PM
Mine is still out. I’m in Allentown.

Finster101
04-15-2023, 07:33 PM
Nothing like have a good standby generator. Unfortunately for me mine has been used way more than I thought I would need it.

barnetmill
04-15-2023, 08:32 PM
Mine is still out. I’m in Allentown.

You a lot more rural than I am in Pace, woodbine hills area. Your storms are worse than ours. Someone in my neighborhood said there was a 70 mph plus downdraft. I hope you power does come back on soon.

barnetmill
04-15-2023, 08:35 PM
Nothing like have a good standby generator. Unfortunately for me mine has been used way more than I thought I would need it.

I go the cheap way. I have a generator and extension cables for the rare instances where I will need it. The back up lights were just fine for a couple of hours. I use a wood burning stove for heat.

SciFiJim
04-15-2023, 08:47 PM
I live in the West Pensacola area, very close to Perdido Bay. We got an inch and a quarter of rain out of that storm. I was wondering of my lights would go out, but they stayed on. I just got done spending over five grand for backup power. Having spent the money, I will probably never need it.

Whole Bunches
04-15-2023, 09:00 PM
I have an EcoFlow solar generator for quick use (as in seconds) for the fridge, tv, and satellite dish, but it can only help for a few hours. Gives me time to start a gas generator which is running now and/or give the power time to come back. It’s now been fours hours without power.

Mk42gunner
04-15-2023, 09:06 PM
Emergency lights to me are the old kerosene lamps. Work every time, as long as you have a suitable fuel.

I do have a small gasoline powered generator to keep the freezer frozen. It would not be fun to loose a deep freeze full of meat.

Robert

Whole Bunches
04-15-2023, 09:09 PM
For you West Fl guys, there is the Gulf Coast Gun Forum if you are not already on it.

To keep this on topic, still no power but running house on gen and recharging my EcoFlow as another storm is forecast in about 8 hours.

ulav8r
04-15-2023, 09:42 PM
My power went out just before 5:00, got a text from Entergy about 20 minutes later telling me power was off and should be restored by 7:00, weather permitting. About 20 minutes later got another telling me power should be back on by Midnight. Hooked up my generator to get internet and TV weather. Power came back on about 7:52.

Our storm blew through in about 20 minutes, the power went out about 5-10 minutes before the storm hit here.

barnetmill
04-16-2023, 12:17 AM
For you West Fl guys, there is the Gulf Coast Gun Forum if you are not already on it.

To keep this on topic, still no power but running house on gen and recharging my EcoFlow as another storm is forecast in about 8 hours.
I do not have much to do with Torstar and vertical scope owned forums. I have decided I will only post there if I have something to sell or need to buy something. I do not like antigun companies buying up outdoor forums.
Cast Boolits is the superior forum.

barnetmill
04-16-2023, 07:31 AM
Well just does not stop. At 6am I hear thunder go down stairs to let one of the bulldogs inside that does not like thunder.
I will have to wait a little longer to check for damage outside for the first much stronger storm.

barnetmill
04-16-2023, 08:44 AM
If anyone is missing a metal shed in the Berry Place neighborhood after the storm please let me know, it is currently in our back yard.