PDA

View Full Version : What’s it for mold?

Rockingkj
04-13-2023, 08:55 PM
I had obtained a bunch of bullet molds , most being factory molds. However the old fella was a machinist and had created this mold. Mystery to me as to how a person would use the projectile it would cast. Adjustable cavity measures.450 diameter. Anyone know what’s it’s for? Maybe if I cast a few it might be more evident. Ideas?

dondiego
04-13-2023, 08:58 PM
Most likely cores for swaging.

Rockingkj
04-13-2023, 09:03 PM
Thought about that. I have never swaged bullets. Looks like it would cast something that would have a skirt.

country gent
04-13-2023, 09:24 PM
Also might be a paper patch mould copied from a ideal perfection mould

megasupermagnum
04-13-2023, 10:11 PM
If I had to guess, the punch sits down tight in a recess and is not actually adjustable. The punch appears to be just that, a punch to eject the bullet. Could be paper patch mold, dimensions appear appropriate for something like 45-70. I have my doubts it would be a core mold, since a .450" core seems too big for 45 caliber. I don't swage, but this doesn't appear to be a core mold to me. There's also the possibility this isn't even a bullet mold.

Rockingkj
04-13-2023, 10:36 PM
Below the brass body there is a set screw, loosen that and the bottom screws in and out adjusting the cavity size. The punch appears to be just that a way to eject the molded lead. I have some molds he made that are nose pour with adjustable base plug to cast heavier or lighter bullets. Smooth sided so thinking those are for paper patch bullets.

megasupermagnum
04-14-2023, 12:38 AM
Below the brass body there is a set screw, loosen that and the bottom screws in and out adjusting the cavity size. The punch appears to be just that a way to eject the molded lead. I have some molds he made that are nose pour with adjustable base plug to cast heavier or lighter bullets. Smooth sided so thinking those are for paper patch bullets.

But the punch is so much smaller than the cavity. If you adjusted it up or down you are going to end up with some funky shaped bullet.

Rockingkj
04-14-2023, 07:28 AM
An additional picture with the insides taken out. The head of the punch is smaller than the bore of the mold. The insert it rides in is the same diameter as the bore. So the length of the casting is adjustable.

challenger_i
04-14-2023, 08:09 AM
Perhaps an adjustable hollow-base wad cutter mold?

Super Sneaky Steve
04-14-2023, 11:01 AM
The punch does look tapered. So hollow base wad cutter is my guess too. Might be good for a 45cal muzzle loader.

SSGOldfart
04-14-2023, 11:15 AM
kinda looks like a Sizing die ?[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Charlie Horse
04-14-2023, 11:39 AM
Try it and see what comes out.

metricmonkeywrench
04-14-2023, 11:45 AM
Kinda thinking works as a Whack-a-Bullet- Pour, Cut the sprue, whack the base on the bench and the bullet pops out- reset and pour again

Really neat design

Ajax111
04-14-2023, 11:49 AM
I have a mold similar to that. It has an adjustment on the bottom and a spring to reset the mold after nocking out the bullet.
My ram is not tapered and the mold is not made as fine as yours, but it does work good.

Rockingkj
04-14-2023, 12:22 PM
I’m just not used to a bullet that’s not pointed and not groved unless paper patched and the base is sorta goofy to my way of thinking.

mdi
04-14-2023, 01:24 PM
My guess would be an adjustable mold for swaging blanks with replaceable ends on the punch/stem for different bases or noses.

Mk42gunner
04-14-2023, 03:42 PM
At .450" diameter, I'm wondering if he had a Whitworth or other .45 cal Volunteer rifle. It may be just right for a paper patched bullet for one of those.

Robert

Rockingkj
04-14-2023, 03:47 PM
Well that the measurement I got with my mic. Actual dia of casting likely different. Have to put some lead in and find out. Thanks to everyone for your interest and thoughts.

gwpercle
04-14-2023, 04:14 PM
Try it and see what comes out.

Yeah !
Plug in your pot and make a cast ... it has a sprue plate , sprue cutter and sprue hole so you know where to pour the lead ... I want to see what this puppy makes !
Don't You ?
Gary

Digital Dan
04-14-2023, 04:24 PM
I paper patched the .44 Mag for a long time. .430 groove in the barrel, .422" bullet diameter. 9# onionskin applied wet, .430" when it dried. MOA shooter it was. 300 grains, 1,600 fps.....splat.

Rockingkj
04-14-2023, 07:37 PM
You bet, will see about getting to pouring some lead this weekend.

Harter66
04-14-2023, 09:24 PM
303 guy made some a little like that for his fat 303 Brits to paper patch .

Neat design .

In 45s after you get to 510-525 gr nose shape matters less as you get into "free BC" numbers .

Rockingkj
04-16-2023, 04:06 PM
Well here is what it casts. .453 dia with a .394 deep cavity. Personally no closer to finding a use for the mold.

TurnipEaterDown
04-16-2023, 04:44 PM
Could be a core for a .475 or .510 inch bullet, depending on jacket thickness.
If so, I would lean toward a guess of 50 cal, .512 finished w/ a .030 jacket. .030 is about right w/ copper tube jacket on a 16-1900 fps gun.
I use a 416 325 gr Hawk w/ .025 jacket on deer at 2000 fps, and it is devastating. Original intent is pistol at 1500-ish, but in my little 416, the landing area for the deer is right at his viewing location...

Rockingkj
04-16-2023, 04:45 PM
Well think I solved the what it’s for. I had taken another of the molds out and cast bullets with it. Thought it cast a nice bullet with an odd base. thinking the 1st mold casts the base and the other the front. A two piece bullet. Got pics of the second mold and the product

Rockingkj
04-16-2023, 04:47 PM
Both the front and the base are adjustable for weight. Interesting way to make a bullet. The old feller must have been a thinking man. Hard telling how well it would shoot. Must have used a press of some sort to press the two pieces together.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-16-2023, 05:56 PM
Well think I solved the what it’s for. I had taken another of the molds out and cast bullets with it. Thought it cast a nice bullet with an odd base. thinking the 1st mold casts the base and the other the front. A two piece bullet. Got pics of the second mold and the product

WOW, that's a lot of Lead.

Rockingkj
04-16-2023, 06:55 PM
Yeah I had adjusted both out before casting and figuring out what they were for. Postal scale says 1.9oz

Mk42gunner
04-16-2023, 07:49 PM
Still no real idea what he used these for, but the joint area looks like it would make a big lube reservoir.

It would be a way to have soft noses.

Weren't some of the Lyman devastator molds meant to be epoxied together? I mean the base and nose sections of the projectile.

Robert

Rockingkj
04-16-2023, 08:04 PM
I think with the cavities adjusted to make a much lighter weight bullet and sorta swaged together the product would be used as a paper patched bullet. In the pic I had just hand pressed to two together. Correctly assembled expect a hairline seam would be all that would be seen. Wide range of different weight bullets could be made. Could be a tinkerer’s dream. Not me, eventually I will find someone who will want such a thing. Been an interesting “what’s it”

TurnipEaterDown
04-17-2023, 10:10 PM
Now, that just aint fair, showing only 1/2 your puzzle pieces the first go 'round. :) (Sarcasm.)

Honestly: Neat mold. I bet when seated together under pressure and poked through the rifling, it acts pretty reliably like a 1 piece bullet. Would be interesting to find out. Entering throat and leaving the muzzle would be the worrisome points of the journey it seems. Shortest nose for desired weight might be the way to go.

Rockingkj
04-18-2023, 02:00 AM
It’s a wonder I was smart enough to put the two together. Spent a fair bit of time getting a full unwrikled sample from each mold. Was still clueless and HOURS later had the light bulb moment that they went together. I don’t own anything to shoot a finished bullet in so most likely I will never how it preforms. These were extra molds included in the bunch I got from an estate. The workmanship and odd design made me curious about them. Speculating that running thru something like a Lee push thru size die would put ‘‘em together. Paper patch would protect from ignition to leaving the muzzle. Missed buying a Remington Hepburn 45-70 from the same estate which could have been what he made the molds for. That was a dandy long range target gun set up. I pick poor times to be responsible and frugal. Ever notice a fellow regrets what he did not buy rather than what he did?