PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Tru-Line Jr: "J" to "X" adapter for LEE Classic bullet sizing.

nitro-express
04-13-2023, 11:52 AM
The Tru-Line Jr project keeps hitting small bumps in the road. I have a Gunshow coming up and I'd like to display my Tru-Line Jr. I have some reloading components to sell, and the press will be used as a visual needed to catch the buyers attention.

I've got a 45 Auto die set to install in the turret, a three die set, so that leaves a spare hole. I use 451 cast bullets, mostly commercial cast, and they come 452. I like to run them through a 451 LEE Classic Sizing die so my bright idea for the day was to use the spare hole in the T-L Jr for that task.

This would require using that J to X adapter. That is where the fun started. The J to X uses a set screw to secure the X shellholder and it is used to secure the sizer punch. The clearances on the sizer die are fairly tight, 0.002" app, and when you tighten the set screw, the punch does a bit of rubbing. It didn't work to my liking at all.

My mind went slightly outside of the box and I came up with an idea to retain the punch with a rubber O-ring. This worked "but", the O-ring would keep slipping off. If I gave the J to X a half turn, the O-ring would stay put.

That proved the concept, but that would require an additional hole in the J to X opposite the present retaining hole. The J to X is not made of soft steel, it is almost as hard as the hubs of Hades. Drilling does require the use of carbide or diamond coated tools. I like the carbide bits that are for drilling tiles or glass, they are not overly costly and they will drill hardened steel. Dremel also has small carbide burrs that work on hardened steel. The project became a DIY.

312919 312920

I sized about a dozen bullets, I'm satisfied with the work around.