PDA

View Full Version : Found one!!! 99 in 284 yahoo!

ammohead
02-07-2009, 10:33 PM
After picking up every savage at every gun show for nigh on 15 years, I found my quest at cabelas in Reno! Not a pristine example, the receiver is turning from blue to dark grey and the pressed checkering in the forestock is a little thin. But after a only a couple of applications of wipeout and chasing with a jag and patch shows a promising mirror bright bore. I ordered some brass online (a little pricey these days...thank you obama) and I already have a set of dies. Can't wait to do a little bench work with her.

She sports a well used Bushnell Scope Chief IV. That and the blueing wear on the receiver from being cradled in a hunters palm, give testimony of many hours in the field. Who would be able to part with such a partner. I sure hope that cabelas didn't cheat some poor widder woman on a trade in. Most likely some unaware heir trading it in for a "good flat shooting Nevada rifle" like a 7mm magnum. lol. Oh well their loss my gain for a paltry $399.99 plus tax and background.

happy day....happy day!

ammohead

MT Gianni
02-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Nice going Ammohead. I wish you years in the field with it. Gianni

The Nyack Kid
02-07-2009, 11:43 PM
While you are still on a roll, go buy a lotto ticket or two .

ammohead
02-08-2009, 01:48 AM
Gianni,

I may fit it in between cast shooters that haven't been bloodied yet. But most likely it will find it's way to Colorado where the oldest son Jacob, who has an aversion to bolt action rifles, doesn't have a decent elk rifle yet. 140 gr barnes triple shocks at about 2850 should fit the bill nicely. Of course I'll keep it long enough for extensive load developement, and I would guess that it will pass through a few hands at Winnemucca this May. I think that I have a heavy 7mm mould somewhere...

ammohead

onceabull
02-08-2009, 02:02 AM
I suppose the next part of the story is that it's an "F" instead of one of those newfangled clip guns..If Cabela's put the same % markup on that one as they did the Mann. Schoenauer I sold their store here recently,they only gave the widow(or heirs) $266.66 for it..BUT, they haven't sold it in nearly a month, so expect it to have a "get real" price on it during their big Chain-wide G.S. and "sale" Feb.13-15th.. Congratulations, Sir.... Onceabull

ammohead
02-08-2009, 02:31 AM
yes Bill an F it is. Looks like a steel spool. I'll let you fondle it in Winnemucca.

ammohead

johnly
02-08-2009, 03:20 AM
I have a pre-64 Winchester M-88 in 284 and it shoots condom bullets into less than 1.5 MOA with H4350. Glad you found what you were looking for. I'd love to stumble on to 99 in 375 win.

John

jh45gun
02-08-2009, 05:48 AM
So is a 284 yahoo better than a 284 Improved. LOL Congrats on your find.

Heavy lead
02-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Nice, LOL

Four Fingers of Death
02-08-2009, 09:13 AM
A 284 Yahoo! That must be some wildcat! :D

northmn
02-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Be careful about lending out treasured rifles to kids. I gave my daughter a Marlin Cowboy 30-30 to use deer hunting. Pretty soon it was "hers" I had to do some interesting trading to keep peace in the family so I could keep and use my Marlin. She now has a scoped 300 Savage bolt gun which I had to spend a few hours getting into shape. Now that she's nailed a couple of deer with it, she is happy with the trade.

Northmn