PDA

View Full Version : Star sizer instructions?

870TC
02-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Anyone know where to get instruction or operating manual for adjusting a Star sizer?. Looked at Magma and a website on Star machines and struck out.

Need to know if there is a way to get more lube to come out for each bullet.
When using LBT commercial, with a heater and Magma air cylinder, I run out of lube after doing about 20 bullets. Get a partial fill of the lube grooves then, and end up pumping the handle 10-12 extra times to get one bullet filled with lube. If you stop and walk away for 5-10 minutes it self corrects, but then screws up again after about 20 bullets. Have played with pressure from 0-80lbs and heat from cool to, hot (like butter in the summer.)

HeavyMetal
02-07-2009, 11:09 PM
sounds like you've got an air bubble. I've never had the problem myself but have seen this issue / question here several times.

Because you already have lbe in the unit I'll suggest you heat it up, the whole resiviour area, with a heat lamp or gun. You want the lube almost runny! Then crank down on the pressure screw, or in your case increase the pressure but don't run any boolit's for 5 to 10 mintes.

This should force the air bubble down and out as you re start sizeing. You could also Blead it out from the screw on the side of the sizer that holds in the die. Be aware you ill get a bunch of lube two and it could be hot enough to burn!

From now on melt you lube and pour it in the resiviour and that problem should go away.

Strange it seems only the guys with the added air pressure system have this problem?

Willbird
02-07-2009, 11:10 PM
I think what is happening is that the lube in your reservoir is cold. The heated base is warming the lube but once you deplete the warm lube it vapor locks, then it warms more lube if you let i sit.

Mine would act like that on me before I got the Magma heated base, and I have gotten it to act that way if I start using it before the unit is completely warmed up. I heat my shop area with an electric unit heater, so I leave my heated base on all the time, the btu's are not wasted, they help heat the work area. maybe try warming your lube reservoir or try wrapping something around it to insulate it a bit. Is your work area heated ??

I run my air cyl at 60 lbs and it worked great with LBT regular and now I use Felix.

I'm also curious if the OP is using hollow or solid lube sticks ??

I have poured mine full of felix twice now and it seems to work ok.

Bill

mtgrs737
02-08-2009, 01:33 AM
I let my Star heat for about an hour before I use it. I don't run my heater very high but in an hour it even heats the lube tube enough that I don't run out of soft lube that the air cylinder can keep up with the lube pump. I use Lar's BAC solid stick lube with a 3/8 slice of Carnuba Red melted and mixed in with the BAC to firm it up a bit. I premelt my lube in a second hand store sauce pan on a hot plate and pour it in the Star with a funnel made from the top of a 2 liter pop bottle, works great and no mess as I toss the funnel in the trash after use.

Springfield
02-08-2009, 02:01 AM
The heaters only heat the bottom of the sizer, and you get good flow as long as this is warm, but the top part is still cold. You need to either heat the room, wait longer for the whole sizer to heat up or use a softer lube. Air bubbles will work themselves out as long as the lube is soft. I usually size a few thousand at a time so I have run into my share of air bullbles. The air bubble is partiall caused by you sizing while the lube stick is still stuck up in the body and not down in the bottom where you need it. And I personally run about 140 lbs in my air lube feeder, but then I do mostly Big Lube(tm) bullets that can really suck up the lube.

crabo
02-08-2009, 02:12 AM
I let my Star heat for about an hour before I use it. I don't run my heater very high but in an hour it even heats the lube tube enough that I don't run out of soft lube that the air cylinder can keep up with the lube pump. I use Lar's BAC solid stick lube with a 3/8 slice of Carnuba Red melted and mixed in with the BAC to firm it up a bit. I premelt my lube in a second hand store sauce pan on a hot plate and pour it in the Star with a funnel made from the top of a 2 liter pop bottle, works great and no mess as I toss the funnel in the trash after use.

I melt my lube in the microwave, (speedgreen) in a pyrex measuring cup. It comes with a pouring groove and works well. I just keep overfilling the dang thing...

I also let the heater warm up for about an hour before I start.

cajun shooter
02-08-2009, 09:50 AM
+1 on the Springfield answer, I do use less air than he does but he's selling his and needs to be fast. THe LBT is a hard lube and needs the heat to be on. As stated I start my heat and do other things while she warms up.

870TC
02-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Answers to many questions you asked: Using hollow LBT sticks (so I can buy one kind for star and lyman), using Magma heated base, problem continues after many hours/thousands of bullets, happens w/multiple calibers, shop heated with electric space heater (65 degrees?), have heated up base until liquid lube drips from machine, then let it cool slightly.(thats a real mess, lube is so soft it gets on other bullets and everything.)

Will try insulating or warming the top of the machine (maybe the air cylinder sucks the heat away) Will try higher pressure.
Funny thing this does not seem to happen as often when I use Magma hard blue lube.

wheelgunner
02-08-2009, 08:33 PM
PM sent to 870TC.

I have the Star manual on PDF if anyone want it drop me an email and I'll send it along

xpshooter
02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
I got a start manual off their web site =

http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/StarInstructions_012009.pdf

Also have punch setting pdf

http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_sizer_bullet_punch_settings.pdf

ddeaton
02-13-2009, 11:04 PM
I started out with the hollow sticks and had about the same problems. Like they said, heat and pour so no air pockets. Crank the heat up with the air cylinder out so as to melt what you have in there and it will settle out. I also helped it a little with a large wood dowel. Poked the warmed lube stick down to get rid of the hollow. After it all settled out mine has been running fine. Dont give up, I about threw mine against the wall until the fine gents on here talked me down and stayed with me to the end.:drinks: