PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Mauser Extractor

HumptyDumpty
04-11-2023, 06:08 PM
So, I've managed to wear-out the extractor on a Spanish Mauser. Granted, this thing has had a long service life and I am only responsible for the last few hundred rounds, but still, it has lost tension, to the point that I the claw frequently jumps case rims. This might be a stupid question, but is there any reason to replace the collar while I am at it?

Scorpion8
04-11-2023, 06:19 PM
Only if you bend the collar too much by removing it over the bolt body. If you're just prying and sliding the extractor off, then the collar can stay and be re-used. They make specialized Mauser extractor tools but it can be done without those also.

Mk42gunner
04-11-2023, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't.

Taking the extractor collar off (and reinstalling it) has caused me more problems than any other single thing when working on Mausers.

Robert

HumptyDumpty
04-11-2023, 06:27 PM
That's kind of what I suspected, but it never hurts to make certain. Thanks.

racepres
04-11-2023, 08:58 PM
I wouldn't.

Taking the extractor collar off (and reinstalling it) has caused me more problems than any other single thing when working on Mausers.

Robert
This!!!
If you have never done it...PM me.. Easy stuff!!!

Gtek
04-11-2023, 10:09 PM
I have cheated them before. Place extractor between two pieces of wood and clamp vertical in vice with rear of collar retention area flush with vise top. Take crescent wrench and tighten down on end sticking up and GENTLY tweak a little to you as needed. They are springy and they are hard and they will snap but sometimes a gotten away with tweak will wake them up. I know you know the difference between push and controlled feed.

36g
04-11-2023, 10:32 PM
You don't need to remove the extractor collar to replace the extractor. The extractor slides off the collar once you've cleared the extractor head out of the extractor groove in the bolt body.