PDA

View Full Version : Locktite with pipe threads

GregLaROCHE
04-11-2023, 04:57 PM
People are using Locktite for so many different things now, that I was wondering if it would work to seal pipe threads. I just have one to do.

country gent
04-11-2023, 05:04 PM
One of the side benefits of pipe dope is it helps to keep the pipe thread free so it can be disassembled later. Thread locker will seal the threads but disassembly will be impossible.

Bruntson
04-11-2023, 05:13 PM
Loctite was never designed to be a thread sealer and will not work as one. It is a thread glue to resist or prevent the thread from becoming unscrewed.

CastingFool
04-11-2023, 05:21 PM
Teflon based pipe dope should work for most applications on iron or copper pipe. If potable water, Teflon tape should be used

fc60
04-11-2023, 07:51 PM
Greetings,

LocTite 592...

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/pressure-sensitive-adhesives/loctite_592.html

Cheers,

Dave

megasupermagnum
04-11-2023, 08:01 PM
Assuming you mean Loctite red or blue thread locker, I wouldn't use it on pipes. As long as your threads are good, tape does fine. I'll often both tape and dope in industrial plumbing, but that's just to be 100% sure. I mostly use tape alone at home. Blue Monster tape and dope is the good stuff. Regular Teflon works fine too.

M-Tecs
04-11-2023, 08:06 PM
People are using Locktite for so many different things now, that I was wondering if it would work to seal pipe threads. I just have one to do.

LOCTITE products are great if you use the correct product for that application. Pipe threads are no different. You need to use the correct product for pipe threads.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/products/industrial-sealants/thread-sealants.html

john.k
04-11-2023, 08:55 PM
Loctite(R) is a very expensive way to buy stuff that others also sell ......the pipe honey or pipe cream ,so called ,is available in large containers from other makers at a fraction of the price.....so if you have a big project ,buy a big container ......the stuff lasts for many years ,so just store away what you dont use.

Hannibal
04-11-2023, 09:11 PM
Pipe sealants are generally designed for things which will be placed back into service immediately also. Loctite? Generally not. And someone will curse you for eternity if you pick the wrong Loctite.

Winger Ed.
04-11-2023, 09:41 PM
It will probably work.
However; everyone will be pointing and laughing at you if you ever have to take it back apart.

GregLaROCHE
04-11-2023, 10:16 PM
Believe it or not, I have never been able to find pipe dope for sale over here. They have always used some fibers, maybe jute. I see it for sale. They wrap the threads with it and screw it together. Maybe that’s why I have a leak today, less than ten years since it’s installation. I guess I’ll try a lot of Teflon tape. The male threads are brass and the female threads are old galvanized pipe.

Winger Ed.
04-11-2023, 10:23 PM
I'm a big fan of teflon tape.
Get the thicker, more expensive roll. The thin cheap stuff works, but can be rather frustrating
since you have to wind it around the pipe more times.

.429&H110
04-12-2023, 12:05 AM
+1
teflon tape for water pipe
brass steel pvc copper don't over tighten,

but I don't use teflon on solvents

orange teflon tape will work for propane
but the threads have to be perfect
and there are few perfect threads.

Teflon does not seal freon, teflon is a fluorocarbon.
There is only one thread goop that works on freons
Loctite 554 at $20 an ounce
(The competition works on freon threads until it hardens)
Loctite 554 does not lock threads
and we don't like to find threads on refrigeration besides.

megasupermagnum
04-12-2023, 12:34 AM
Believe it or not, I have never been able to find pipe dope for sale over here. They have always used some fibers, maybe jute. I see it for sale. They wrap the threads with it and screw it together. Maybe that’s why I have a leak today, less than ten years since it’s installation. I guess I’ll try a lot of Teflon tape. The male threads are brass and the female threads are old galvanized pipe.

I always forget you are in France. These are tapered threads, correct? If you can get Teflon tape, that stuff works. It doesn't take a ton, about 3-4 wraps is perfect with blue monster, maybe 5-6 if your tape is thin, then the pipe has to be sufficiently tight to crush the threads. The tape is only sealing the very tops of the threads in an ideal case. Make sure your threads aren't in bad shape. No amount of sealer will fix bad threads.

Iowa Fox
04-12-2023, 02:30 AM
We used to use the Loctite pipe sealer at work but it didn't perform well for us.

Re-do's and field service re-visits from repairs leaks was critical for us. We switched to Fel-Pro to eliminate leaks. I've been retired for 13 years and that's all I use.

https://fedpro.com/collections/pipe-thread-sealants

nseries
04-12-2023, 02:38 AM
Blue Loctite will work fine. I worked for a national company that serviced fryer oil equipment used in the food service industry. We exclusively used blue Loctite on 3/4" thru 1-1/2" pipe threads.

Teddy (punchie)
04-12-2023, 03:09 AM
Pipe threads for water line run a tap and die over them cleaning up and then put it together with tape.

Growing up on farm I have use black tape, Teflon any things else to get by. Most of these tape shrink around chemicals (gasoline) so they are a short term fix. But in most cases worked for a little while enough to get the hay in etc.

Good Cheer
04-12-2023, 05:00 AM
If the engineering behind the design is for it to be sealed with compressed fiber, is the thread geometry compatible with using a liquid or paste? If it is compatible then why not use the last of an old can of solvent based enamel?

In the early 70's my 2nd job was running batches at an epoxy adhesives plant. The owner showed me that trick for tapered pipe threads. He generally used an old can of spray paint.

Texas by God
04-12-2023, 08:59 AM
Rector seal works on steel, steel to brass, copper to brass, and even PVC if careful.
NeverSieze also works- you might find it at a tractor dealership over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CastingFool
04-12-2023, 09:32 AM
Where I worked as a pipe fitter, Teflon tape was only used in potable water service, and with plastic threaded fittings. The consensus was that the Teflon tape did not provide enough friction to keep the joints tight when used on metal threads.

Gator 45/70
04-12-2023, 06:57 PM

Better look for a split or crack first.

jonp
04-12-2023, 07:06 PM

Depends but generally no. Use tape which is cheap and use the right tape for the job. Tape for water pipes does not work well if used for propane. Ive use the liquid seal in a tube but not with any luck

justindad
04-12-2023, 07:07 PM
I'm a big fan of teflon tape.
Get the thicker, more expensive roll. The thin cheap stuff works, but can be rather frustrating
since you have to wind it around the pipe more times.

+1 …

Scrounge
04-12-2023, 07:23 PM

There is a kind of Loctite that will fill gaps (intended for bearings in slightly out of tolerance seats), but the ordinary stuff is too thin for that. You may lock up the joint, but it will not necessarily be water or air-tight. If you use the high strength Loctite, it's going to be a bear to get loose when/if you need to. You need the thread sealant to fill the gaps between the threads. See what Country Gent said. A small roll of teflon tape is pretty cheap, and a small bottle of a teflon-based thread dope is likewise, and pretty good insurance that you won't about kill yourself or burn the place down trying to get Loctite to release when you need to work on it next.

Bill

john.k
04-12-2023, 08:04 PM
Most here are confusing the Loctite thread locker with the Loctite(and other brands) pipe sealant ,which is a yellowish white thick creamy goo,and which stays somewhat flexible even when cured...........i have used this stuff as anti rust paste on big threads (1"+) in a salt water environment....for instance the rubber blocks on wharf buffers

megasupermagnum
04-12-2023, 08:31 PM
Most here are confusing the Loctite thread locker with the Loctite(and other brands) pipe sealant ,which is a yellowish white thick creamy goo,and which stays somewhat flexible even when cured...........i have used this stuff as anti rust paste on big threads (1"+) in a salt water environment....for instance the rubber blocks on wharf buffers

The OP has stated he has not been able to find that there in France. He was asking about threadlocker.

uscra112
04-12-2023, 08:50 PM
An old, old way was to wind heavy sewing thread onto the male part. I'm talking 100 years ago.

Gasket shellac (Aviation Form-a-Gasket) would work, but you'd have a lot of fun getting it apart if you ever had to.

DougGuy
04-12-2023, 09:03 PM
I have fit screw pipe with about every sealer under the sun. I have probably 6 down in the basement now, Keytite, Gasolia, Oatey, teflon tape thin and thick.

Put the fittings together dry, if it turns more than 3x you will need 2-3 wraps of tape, AND a good bit of sealer. This works great for them Asian fittings you get from Zoro. They fit loosely and screw on a long way before becoming snug.

Correctly threaded fittings will go 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns and can use just tape, OR the soft sealers. Not recommended to use both, use one or the other.

justindad
04-13-2023, 01:07 AM
If you never have to take it apart, JB Weld will work. A thick thread locker could also work (at low pressure where things don’t stretch) if the liquid fills the threads and is pushed out while you tighten the fittings - don’t wipe off the excess and let it cure for 24 hours before you let the fluid/gas flow. Get spare parts and test them before you do the real deal.

GregLaROCHE
04-13-2023, 03:48 PM
I took it apart today. It’s an automatic purge to let out air that gets in the radiator system. The brass male end screwed out shiny clean clean, but I had to put a bore brush on a drill to clean out the female cast iron threads. I wrapped a lot of Teflon tape around the threads and and when I first tried it, I took it back out and added more tape. I know there is thicker tape available, but once someone gave me a whole box of the thin stuff. I filled the system with water, it was still a leaking a bit. I tightened more and more and it finally stopped. A job that could not have gone well, turned out fine.

Thanks for all the help and ideas. Yes JB weld was on my mind if the Teflon tape didn’t work.

john.k
04-13-2023, 07:41 PM
White lead and oakum was the traditional one.....dont know if you can still buy white lead ,but I have one gallon pail of it I can hardly lift.

MT Gianni
04-19-2023, 07:49 PM
I have fit screw pipe with about every sealer under the sun. I have probably 6 down in the basement now, Keytite, Gasolia, Oatey, teflon tape thin and thick.

Put the fittings together dry, if it turns more than 3x you will need 2-3 wraps of tape, AND a good bit of sealer. This works great for them Asian fittings you get from Zoro. They fit loosely and screw on a long way before becoming snug.

Correctly threaded fittings will go 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns and can use just tape, OR the soft sealers. Not recommended to use both, use one or the other.

We had good success double doping gas lines over 125 psi with threaded fittings. Another hint was to wrap with teflon and spray it with WD 40 which would shrink the tape to the pipe.

If you cannot find pipe joint compound anywhere in France try a solid bar soap. The taper of the threads should seal them, the dope or teflon tape just allows you to tighten it further.