PDA

View Full Version : Lee Auto Drum Leakage fix

kungfustyle
04-11-2023, 04:53 PM
Lee Auto Drum leakage fix:
Hello All,
I've been having fun with H110 and my Dillon powder measure. It leaked, and yes tried a bunch of fixes, one was switching to the large bar. However, the charge weights were all over the place. Tried a few fixes for that, but had about 1 grain variance from high to low charge amounts with 15 grains as my goal. Low was about 14.5 and high charge was 15.8. This is not a Dillon rant, I do use it for my auto's 9mm and 45 acp and it works great only about .1 variance. So down the Lee road I went, for a few different reasons. I just got the Auto Drum Powder measure and yes it leaked like a sieve, but it was accurate +-.1 for 15 grains of H110. I tried this fix and it helped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0-5GuuNeTI Then I polished the inside of the drum with steel wool and sanded the disk with 120grit sand paper, then 600 grit. IT WORKED!!!!!!!! NO LEAKAGE AT ALL!!!!!! I'm going to get two more for my press. Just thought I'd share. Any questions please let me know.
By the way did it with my second drum insert and no leaking!

Dancing Bear
05-03-2023, 06:52 PM
Glad to hear you fixed the leaking. i had some leakage on my new measure as well. All polished up now but haven't used it since the initial session.

jetinteriorguy
05-05-2023, 08:49 AM
I did something a little different. I took the drums and lapped them into the press using a mild polishing compound that was suitable for use on plexiglass. It was a bit tedious but eliminated the leaking on all but the finest powders. That being said, I hardly ever use the drums anymore since I load all my rifle ammo on single stage presses and I much prefer the Pro Disc for pistol loading. I work up the pistol load using my normal powder measure, then customize a cavity in one of the discs by using a tapered reamer to get the proper powder amount. I then mark that cavity and keep it in a container with the dies and have a sticker on the container with all pertinent load info for each load including which disc and cavity has been customized for that load.