PDA

View Full Version : Lead gloves

long_arm
04-11-2023, 04:47 PM
Are they worth messing with?
A scrapper I know told me he has quite a lot of them.

Martin Luber
04-11-2023, 05:20 PM
Pure lead flat over sheaths in the shape of a hand? Or something else?

Pictures would help

Rickf1985
04-11-2023, 06:49 PM
Probably something to keep lead off of your hands while working with it. I use whatever work glove I have at hand usually and welding gloves when working with the hot stuff. Harbor freight work gloves are pretty good, The Hardy line of gloves. Cheap enough that when they get a hole you toss them and you have gotten your monies worth. No matter what I use I still wash my hands well before eating or anything else.

long_arm
04-11-2023, 07:34 PM
Apologies for my lack of clarity in the opening post.
A scrap metal guy I buy from says that he has a large number of 'used lead gloves', The type worn by radiologic technicians. I don't have any more information than that, unfortunately.

Dusty Bannister
04-11-2023, 07:40 PM
Might see what others have had to say about aprons used by the techs. Do an archive search for other threads.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259429-Rubberized-lead-how-do-I-extract&highlight=x-ray+aprons

Bruntson
04-11-2023, 07:54 PM
Lead gloves is a generic term for protective gloves worn by X-ray technicians. In years past they did have lead. But considering the EPA stance on lead, The manufactures make them lead free now. Your scrappers gloves may or may not contain lead. The gloves are usually vinyl on the outside and an inner layer of cloth. Try cutting one apart and see what you get before you commit to buying something you may not be able to use.

long_arm
04-11-2023, 11:26 PM
Lead gloves is a generic term for protective gloves worn by X-ray technicians. In years past they did have lead. But considering the EPA stance on lead, The manufactures make them lead free now. Your scrappers gloves may or may not contain lead. The gloves are usually vinyl on the outside and an inner layer of cloth. Try cutting one apart and see what you get before you commit to buying something you may not be able to use.

Thank you very much. I think I'll pass on these . Certainly appreciate your response

Winger Ed.
04-12-2023, 12:59 AM
Most X-Ray tech protective gear has a .5 mm Lead sheathing.
Not necessarily as Lead foil, but more like powdered Lead mixed in soft plastic and made into a vinyl cloth.
The aprons & such look and feel like a sheet of thick vinyl--- but it is real heavy for the size of it.
As far as salvaging that little bit of Lead from them isn't really worth the trouble.

Edward
04-12-2023, 07:43 AM
Thank you very much. I think I'll pass on these . Certainly appreciate your response

I get my gloves from my welding supplier , work great and have the dexterity to pick up (HOT) lead if I miss the pot !/Ed

GregLaROCHE
04-12-2023, 11:16 AM
I have welding gloves, but I tend to use normal leather work gloves while casting boolits or pouring ingots with a ladle. They are more comfortable and give me more dexterity. I keep the welding gloves at hand for really hot stuff.

I don’t think the lead gloves are interesting to wear casting, but if there is lead inside them and the price is right, maybe you can tear them down for the lead inside.

Rickf1985
04-12-2023, 11:34 AM
I have welding gloves, but I tend to use normal leather work gloves while casting boolits or pouring ingots with a ladle. They are more comfortable and give me more dexterity. I keep the welding gloves at hand for really hot stuff.

I don’t think the lead gloves are interesting to wear casting, but if there is lead inside them and the price is right, maybe you can tear them down for the lead inside.

Pretty sure that was his idea but it just seems like way to much work for way to little gain.

GlocksareGood
04-14-2023, 09:40 PM
I scrapped about 50lbs of lead blankets one time used for radiation shielding from the shipyards. It was a woolen lead mixed with some filler. When I melted it down I lost about 30% of the weight. Lead was pure besides that. Very soft.