PDA

View Full Version : HowTik Tok Figures You Out

GregLaROCHE
04-10-2023, 02:45 PM
This is an interesting report about how platforms can figure out what your interests are and tailor their prompting to you.

https://youtu.be/nfczi2cI6Cs

HWooldridge
04-10-2023, 02:50 PM
Good to know - even though I'm not currently nor plan to ever be on TikTok or any other similar platform.

GregLaROCHE
04-10-2023, 02:55 PM
Good to know - even though I'm not currently nor plan to ever be on TikTok or any other similar platform.

YouTube does it too as well as Facebook.

GregLaROCHE
04-10-2023, 04:23 PM
It’s in Our Town where a lot of different things are discussed.

barnetmill
04-10-2023, 05:55 PM
I noticing that google and the other try, but seem to have the general topic, but not what I want. I guess I am hard to please. But it means that homeland security can figure our hobbies and maybe our plans.

popper
04-11-2023, 10:04 AM
Advertisers find the AI bunch that has the best tracking system and pay that company for ad 'insertion' into your browsing.

GregLaROCHE
04-11-2023, 02:59 PM
Advertisers find the AI bunch that has the best tracking system and pay that company for ad 'insertion' into your browsing.

I first encountered it years ago when internet was dial up. I searched for motorcycle insurance and all of a sudden I was swamped with insurance adds. Now the biggest problem is when my son gets on my YouTube and changes the algorithm and I am not interested in most of what it suggests until it gets back to knowing my choices.

Gtrubicon
04-12-2023, 09:56 PM
I’m still glad I don’t tik toc, Facebook or you tube. If I wanted to be tracked and followed, I’d let ya. Nothing on those sites enhances my family’s or my life.

megasupermagnum
04-12-2023, 10:13 PM
I’m still glad I don’t tik toc, Facebook or you tube. If I wanted to be tracked and followed, I’d let ya. Nothing on those sites enhances my family’s or my life.

The best use of tiktok is watching old people, especially politicians argue about it. I don't use any social media either, but watching the highlights of the congress committee hearing was a riot. Makes you wonder how some people can tie their own shoes.

Gtrubicon
04-12-2023, 10:20 PM
Lots of ignorant people getting a bad education on social media. It could be much different if people could think on their own, draw their own conclusions. All it produces are sheeple that applaud some confused worthless human being that made it far enough to get its name on a light beer can.

Thumbcocker
04-13-2023, 09:52 AM
Famous last words: If I die delete my search history.

Alex_4x4
04-13-2023, 07:07 PM

The dead have no shame.

WILCO
04-13-2023, 07:10 PM

We need a "like" button!

farmbif
04-13-2023, 07:19 PM
anyone ever completely read and understand the licensing agreement or whatever you call it you have to agree to when downloading or start to use an app? some of them even lawyers dont understand.

armoredman
04-13-2023, 08:18 PM
I've seen it when my loving wife bought me a new computer. The opening screen is a blend of MSN and other stories. After a few months od watching what I open and don't, I get a lot more stuff I am interested in and no more Occupy Democrats.

SeabeeMan
04-13-2023, 08:38 PM
TikTok's algorithm is so good, it actually scared me off it. I downloaded it on a whim one day, gave it basically no information about me or what I wanted to see, and just started watching stuff. No likes or following, just time. Within 20 minutes it was nothing but cars, DIY projects, dad jokes, and guns. Deleted it and haven't looked back.

gwpercle
04-18-2023, 03:57 PM
We need a "like" button!

:goodpost:
LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!

I've been saying we need a like button for years .
Best I can do is this ... Like button would be easier but what do I know !
Gary

10x
04-19-2023, 07:37 AM
anyone ever completely read and understand the licensing agreement or whatever you call it you have to agree to when downloading or start to use an app? some of them even lawyers dont understand.

Lawyers are good at not understanding.
Every courtroom has two lawyers in it, one of whom is wrong...

trebor44
04-19-2023, 09:44 AM
It's your browser! Has anyone ever checked the Privacy or Security settings? The newer the browser, the greater the intrusion into your "life"!

Thumbcocker
04-20-2023, 08:52 AM
Lawyers are good at not understanding.
Every courtroom has two lawyers in it, one of whom is wrong...

John A. Logan was an Illinois lawyer, politician, and very capable civil war general. During his legal career he was both an elected State's Attorney and a defense attorney.

As State's attorney he prosecuted and convicted a man for a serious offense. (Murder iirc). On appeal the the case was remanded to the trial court for a new trial. While the appeal was pending Mr. Logan's term had expired and he did not run for re-election, opting to go into private practice.

The defendant hired Mr. Logan to represent him in the second trial. The defendant was acquitted. A reporter asked Mr. Logan which verdict was correct. He replied "Both of them."