PDA

View Full Version : Replace Red Dot loads

racepres
04-10-2023, 09:13 AM
Quick, I Hope, question.. I am having a very hard time locating Promo/Red Dot here in my part of the Rhubarb Patch!!
In Fact... Not many Alliant Powders at all!!!
So, I believe that AA Powders can be Had... obvious question now...can #2 or #5 (doubtful) possibly come close to Red Dot in Everything??
Yes, I use Red Dot in .32 S&W thru 30-06, and all places in between!!! Should Have Stocked Up!!!!
Thanks for your Input.

Martin Luber
04-10-2023, 09:30 AM
AA #2 is a fast powder like bullseye. Dense though.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-10-2023, 09:49 AM
Promo and Red Dot don't have any deterrent coatings, so that makes them different than most other smokeless powders. So it will likely be difficult to find such a universal replacement.

racepres
04-10-2023, 09:55 AM
Promo and Red Dot don't have any deterrent coatings, so that makes them different than most other smokeless powders. So it will likely be difficult to find such a universal replacement.
I Bet!!!
Darn it!!!

charlie b
04-10-2023, 11:50 AM
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

These guys tried a bunch of powders for low vel loads.

metricmonkeywrench
04-10-2023, 11:56 AM
Stating the obvious- time to go back to the books. There's plenty of load data out there for all the calibers you load and in some cases potentially with better performance.

racepres
04-10-2023, 12:08 PM
Stating the obvious- time to go back to the books. There's plenty of load data out there for all the calibers you load and in some cases potentially with better performance.

I gots lots of Books, and Lots of Loads.. Red Dot can be used in All of my calibers... and I like to shoot those loads..
Question is still...is any Powder as Versatile????

anothernewb
04-10-2023, 12:14 PM
Bullseye at Brownells this morning (4/10/23) fairly close to red dot, if not quite as bulky.

racepres
04-10-2023, 12:25 PM
Bullseye at Brownells this morning (4/10/23) fairly close to red dot, if not quite as bulky.

Thanks
Someone else just told me Brownells has Alliant powders.... Never dealt with Brownells at all... but, that may change!!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-10-2023, 03:14 PM
I wonder how N310 would do with large case capacity?
because reading the manufacturer's description leads me to believe it has a high ignitability factor.
Red Dot and Promo's secret sauce for use in reduced loads in large capacity cases, is it's high ignitability factor, due to lack of deterrent coating.

https://www.vihtavuori.com/powder/n310-handgun-powder/

foesgth
04-10-2023, 06:14 PM
TrailBoss will do it but it is as rare these days as Red Dot.

RichardB
04-10-2023, 06:15 PM
if you were closer I'd offload a keg of Red Dot. Its a powder I rarely use having found other powders I use instead. If you ever head west on I-90 get in touch. I am only 7 miles from an off/on ramp.

racepres
04-10-2023, 06:29 PM
if you were closer I'd offload a keg of Red Dot. Its a powder I rarely use having found other powders I use instead. If you ever head west on I-90 get in touch. I am only 7 miles from an off/on ramp.

Great offer...and I have been known to run that route!! I will drop you a PM in a Bit if you don't mind.. Tho it may be some time before I head that way again!!! Ya Never Know!!!

dverna
04-10-2023, 08:50 PM
I found a few places selling Promo with a quick search. Not cheap but it is out there.

I have four jugs and live near Gaylord Michigan. PM me if that is not to far for you to travel.

racepres
04-10-2023, 09:17 PM
Done

Kosh75287
04-10-2023, 10:08 PM
If you can find any IMR-700X, that's what I'D try for duplicating Red Dot/Promo loads. It won't be interchangeable, but it's similar in burning rate, and has a good history of being used for reduced stuff.

P Flados
04-10-2023, 11:35 PM
During the Obama shortage, I ran out of Promo. I was using it for a lot of different handgun applications.

I ended up trying Titegroup. I found that Titegroup is also very versatile and worked for all of the stuff where I had been using Promo. It is also an "easy to ignite" powder that can be downloaded to mouse fart levels.

In general I like Promo a little better and went back to it for most (but not all) loads when it became available again.

A big plus with TG is that tends to be a lot easier to find during a shortage. Ball powders in general seem to be more available and less overpriced than flakes or the extruded stuff.

I may run out of Promo again before that current shortage ends. If so, I do have TG and know what it can do.

I have also toyed with the idea of trying CBI (https://www.cdvs.us/product/cbi-pistol-powder-with-this-you-get-four-4-jugs-for-a-total-of-16-lbs-of-powder/) (a bulk milsurp type of proposition). The price is good, but shipping and Haz are steeper than typical. A big order might not be a bad idea not only because of the shipping and Haz, but also to ensure you will never have to deal with "lot differences". Most of my Promo loads are "midrange" and well below max allowed pressure. For these, I am confident that CBI would work fine.

racepres
04-11-2023, 08:43 AM
During the Obama shortage, I ran out of Promo. I was using it for a lot of different handgun applications.

I ended up trying Titegroup. I found that Titegroup is also very versatile and worked for all of the stuff where I had been using Promo. It is also an "easy to ignite" powder that can be downloaded to mouse fart levels.

In general I like Promo a little better and went back to it for most (but not all) loads when it became available again.

A big plus with TG is that tends to be a lot easier to find during a shortage. Ball powders in general seem to be more available and less overpriced than flakes or the extruded stuff.

I may run out of Promo again before that current shortage ends. If so, I do have TG and know what it can do.

I have also toyed with the idea of trying CBI (https://www.cdvs.us/product/cbi-pistol-powder-with-this-you-get-four-4-jugs-for-a-total-of-16-lbs-of-powder/) (a bulk milsurp type of proposition). The price is good, but shipping and Haz are steeper than typical. A big order might not be a bad idea not only because of the shipping and Haz, but also to ensure you will never have to deal with "lot differences". Most of my Promo loads are "midrange" and well below max allowed pressure. For these, I am confident that CBI would work fine.

Interesting....Thanks for that!

dverna
04-11-2023, 08:52 AM
I used jugs of Clays for light .38 Spl loads and I believe it works in many pistol calibers. I have no experienced with reduced loads in rifles as that is not my thing.

racepres
04-11-2023, 09:21 AM
I used jugs of Clays for light .38 Spl loads and I believe it works in many pistol calibers. I have no experienced with reduced loads in rifles as that is not my thing.

And I use as much Red Dot in rifles as Handguns!! Usually in deference to Old/Unknown Gun... fairly mundane loads ya know!! Tho the Pressure keeps away from shoulder set-back....Usually!!

mc1911
04-12-2023, 08:39 AM
Check out trap clubs. When powder was nowhere to be found I bought red dot and 700x at these places.

megasupermagnum
04-12-2023, 11:48 PM
700x is the closest thing there is to Red dot.

lightload
04-13-2023, 01:03 AM
http://grafs.com

Check Grafs. I think they had 700x plus others.

I've noticed a large number of scam sites advertising components.

15meter
04-17-2023, 07:29 PM
If you are willing to travel some, call Schanz Supply Inc. down in Otsego. It's been awhile since I was in there, but they have had shotgun powders when no one else did over the last couple of years.

racepres
04-18-2023, 09:11 AM
If you are willing to travel some, call Schanz Supply Inc. down in Otsego. It's been awhile since I was in there, but they have had shotgun powders when no one else did over the last couple of years.

Actually, I get down to Martin, Often...313127

So Maybe..
Also, Dverna has made a Kind offer ...about the same travel time/distance other direction!!
Thanks goes out to All...

nanuk
04-20-2023, 11:19 AM
Gotta love the great guys on this site!!!

Wish I lived in the USA! Amazing place!

Kestrel4k
04-20-2023, 11:40 AM
I concur on the CBI suggestion, although I haven't gotten mine yet (will be able to do local pickup in approx a month); looking forward to extending my existing Red Dot supply with it.
Even bulkier than Red Dot; my limited research suggests that the burning rate could be comparable to Trail Boss.
Easy to ignite, since it's an ignitor ? lol we'll see I guess. :-/

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?408501-CBI-pistol-powder

P Flados
04-20-2023, 08:42 PM
FYI, Using Quickload I estimated that you will use around 40% more CBI to get the same velocity as compared to Red Dot.

racepres
04-21-2023, 08:11 AM
FYI, Using Quickload I estimated that you will use around 40% more CBI to get the same velocity as compared to Red Dot.

Not for me then... Really... Trail Boss fills such a very narrow usage that I may Not replenish!!

georgewxxx
04-21-2023, 04:10 PM
If you can find any IMR-700X, that's what I'D try for duplicating Red Dot/Promo loads. It won't be interchangeable, but it's similar in burning rate, and has a good history of being used for reduced stuff.

I concur with using 700-X.

Gobeyond
04-23-2023, 07:57 PM
The lee second addition load book list lots of AA powder for cast boolits. I don’t have it with me but whole sections of AA in some calibers.