PDA

View Full Version : Can't get friends into reloading no matter what I do.....

Stopsign32v
04-09-2023, 09:27 AM
Anyone ever run into this? For the past 8 years I've probably tried getting my friends into reloading. Back at the beginning I just collected 9mm brass because "Some day..." but back then it was literally cheaper to buy and shoot 9mm rather than reload. Both my friend and I joked about this but I was the only one that would keep the brass. Fast forward to today, 9mm is the main thing I'm loading. Both complain the past years about the ammo shortage and ammo prices now. STILL despite me saying its still not too late to get into reloading, they flat out will not. I've personally found reloading to be almost meditating and I enjoy it more than shooting and told them if they just try it they would love it! Not only is it super easy for basic plinking rounds but you can tailor you loads for specific firearms.

Still no one will start reloading. Most common excuse is no room. Second is no time. :coffeecom

My one friend is to his own description not mechanically inclined and would never trust himself or his loads. I explained that I would walk him through it completely step by step by step from start to finish...Still no.

JSnover
04-09-2023, 09:36 AM
If someone doesn't believe they can do something... they might be right. Best leave well enough alone.

Dusty Bannister
04-09-2023, 09:41 AM
You should not be too surprised at the lack of interest in reloading. You have been on the forum long enough to have read about folks that just hate to cast bullets but have to do that to afford shooting a favorite firearm, or to feed a shooting habit. Some like to cast because it is relaxing, but do not look forward to reloading. Others reload as a matter of necessity due to finances, or not having easy access to ammunition.

Perhaps you may reconsider trying to encourage a person clearly doubting their ability to reload safely. If something ever goes wrong, who will he blame? If he had not been "forced" into reloading nothing would be broken, injured or missing.

This does not mean to stop offering to encourage persons to reload, this just suggests that perhaps the best intentions are just not welcomed at this time of their life.

I offer this suggestion because I have had one person who "wanted" to reload, but looking at this long term, it was for all the wrong reasons and his equipment is just gathering dust in his basement. Now he expects me to come over once a year or so to watch him reload to make sure he does things correctly.

kungfustyle
04-09-2023, 09:44 AM
Most people are intimidated by it. They are ether turned off by the dangers involved or the complexity. I've tried to get half a dozen friends into it, inviting them over and sit in for a reloading session. As of yet only one person got a press, but he never uses it. Go figure. As far as no room, my reloading room is a closet. I've even, at one point drilled holes in my computer desk and mounted the press on a board and used wing nuts to fasten it to my desk. Keyboard covered the holes when the press was put away. I think more and more, that people are getting out of the habit of doing things for themselves and either paying someone to do it or do without. Shame!

ioon44
04-09-2023, 09:44 AM
Reloading is not for everyone; you need a strong to do it and do it right.

Wag
04-09-2023, 09:47 AM
I love reloading and casting but for lack of space and time and many other reasons, I haven't done either for quite a while. I don't even save my brass any more which is probably my greatest sin. But when the time becomes right, I'll just flip the switch and jump back in again.

I don't try to talk people into things any more. As others said, you could set someone up for a world of hurt without meaning to do so.

--Wag--

Recycled bullet
04-09-2023, 10:25 AM
You are trying to change somebody, which is why you are getting push-back.

The change you are trying to effect would be in their benefit, in their personal interests.
They could make time, make space, for any thing they want.

And by offering it for free they fail to see the value.

Stopsign32v
04-09-2023, 10:33 AM
Most people are intimidated by it. They are ether turned off by the dangers involved or the complexity.

This is it. Same friend is into cars and has a Mustang but takes it places to be worked on. He would love to work on it himself but he "can't do it" without even trying.

Dad always told me can't never could.

Kestrel4k
04-09-2023, 11:00 AM
I do understand the sentiment here; I have a few friends that don't reload; "no time" or whatever, which I do not buy for an instant.
While they like to shoot, they seldom do; perhaps the cost of factory ammo but I can't be certain honestly.

The other perspective though; a few decades ago our club president really tried to get me into casting. I greatly enjoy reloading, and handloaded ammo is the keystone of my enjoyment of the shooting sports. He had me get a few 'group buy' molds, of designs he recommended - even gave me some boolits to try. I still remember his favorite, the legendary 311284 - which he demonstrated by having me spot him on the 600yd steel target with his 1903.

But there are some aspects of it that just don't suck me in - but I'm afraid that if I list my objections here I will just get the 'tough love' here. :-)
I really enjoy brass prep and also tuning my handloads w/ the incredible consistency of factory jacketed bullets - with my modest shooting (virtually none semi-auto) I have nearly a lifetime supply of.

So I kind of see both sides of the coin. Being interested in metallurgy (am actually a materials engineer), I actually read many of the 'lead' threads out of academic interest; as a handloader & not a caster, I still enjoy reading those parts of the forum.

G W Wade
04-09-2023, 11:10 AM
Took my twin son's down and taught them to load shotgun shells. Showed them where the powder, primers , wads and everything they needed. A few weeks later saw several cases of Federal store bought's sitting on the floor. They got a good deal but they paid for the shells instead of free components. You can lead them to the water but you can't make them drink GW

rintinglen
04-09-2023, 11:10 AM
When you believe you can't, you're right.

But I will say that the abolition of shop classes in high schools has eroded many people's ability to use basic hand tools to the point where "simple" becomes too complex.

Froogal
04-09-2023, 11:12 AM
What really bothers me is that they won't even bother to pick up the brass. Just leave it in the grass for the lawnmower to find.

racepres
04-09-2023, 11:13 AM
When you believe you can't, you're right.

But I will say that the abolition of shop classes in high schools has eroded many people's ability to use basic hand tools to the point where "simple" becomes too complex.

yup... looks that way....

dondiego
04-09-2023, 11:27 AM
Several years ago I bought a good friend and my son each a good RCBS Reloading kit and said that I would supervise their use. After 3 years and neither had loaded a round. I finally went to my friends house and sat him down and we loaded a box of .357 magnums. He was proud and shot them in front of his friends. That was years ago and I can't even get him to size any brass by himself!

I started helping my dad load shotgun shells in our living room when I was 15 years old with a LEE type die set, no press. I had to seat the wads and apply pressure on a bathroom scale. I sill have that die set. I have been an avid reloader ever since.

fastdadio
04-09-2023, 11:28 AM
I've been successful at getting two people into reloading. A good friend from work and his son. Both mechanically inclined hunters and shooters so they were born naturals.
Now, try convincing someone how much fun the black powder guns are.... eeww, they're so dirty, too slow to load, not enough power..... ect.

murf205
04-09-2023, 11:42 AM
I have a young friend that was also a fiend of my son. He showed an interest in loading ammo and I told him that his best bet was to buy a complete kit and several good manuals and read first and read a lot. If you have any questions just call me or come by. Man alive, did he have questions! I knew when he sent me some of his groups that he was addicted. He now loads everything he shoots, handgun, rifle and shotguns. He is a benchrest and precision rifle shooter now as well. He bought a house with acreage and has a rifle range out his back door. Converted a garage to a reloading shop and is in whole hog. If he started to cast, there would probably no lead for sale anywhere in North Alabama. All the other people that ask a couple of questions never bothered to take up the game.
The facts are that newbies will come to you and those with casual interest will buy their ammo. Like anything else, you can only suggest. My son is a classic example. His favorite saying is "Dad can load those".

waksupi
04-09-2023, 11:49 AM
A person just has to get the urge on their own. No use in trying to get them to do something, no matter if it makes sense or not. Kind of like getting married. Let them make their own mistakes!

tunnug
04-09-2023, 12:13 PM
I've successfully gotten two people into reloading, but then again they knew I reloaded and approached me and knew I'd be available to answer and help any way I could.
Had a co-worker approach me and say he'd like to relax and reload while having a beer, I told him all the dangers about that and showed him videos of guns deconstructing from overloads, turned him off real quick because he won't stop drinking, so yeah some should not reload.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-09-2023, 12:31 PM
Can't get friends into reloading no matter what I do......
Recluse had a great post about us boolit casters and such, where he categorized guns owners.
AND... some gun owners just have not yet worked up to the "Reloader" level.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?222520-Why-some-new-members-will-do-better-than-others-here

rbuck351
04-09-2023, 12:50 PM
I think most of folks now days have gone from DIY to get a good job and pay for anything you "can't" or don't want to do. I have made attempt to get folks to start reloading but so far no go. I don't push much after the first attempt.

gwpercle
04-09-2023, 01:22 PM
Way too easy to order ammo online and have it shipped to their door .
Plus companies pay salaries that blow my mind ... Plenty money ... easy to order ...
why bother reloading .
In 1967 if I wanted cast boolits and ammo loaded with cast boolits ...I had to Do It Myself .
Nobody sold cast boolits in my town ... you bought a Lyman mould .
Gary

Four-Sixty
04-09-2023, 01:36 PM
I also suspect we're becoming a Nation of voyeurs, people who watch other people doing stuff. I also think many are uncomfortable figuring things out - they're too risk adverse, even lazy.

daengmei
04-09-2023, 02:16 PM
I can't even get someone to go shoot, offering everything minus the range fee. I thought I had one interested in casting, a coworker. We talked and turned out he just wanted me to make him some weights for a grass roller on his riding lawnmower. My only shooting partner died several years ago, and only a couple trips with my daughter have been made. I shoot alone, and then afterwards, I drink alone.

And that lawnmower had a 1/4 acre, gee.

Outer Rondacker
04-09-2023, 02:59 PM
I know what your talking about.

I can not even get people at a gun club to let me host events to shoot.

Heck I can not even get guys to do anything other than handle there firearms and talk about some day.

Told the wife the other day. I am not happy in the area we are in no one has any interest in what I want to do. Sure I can fish that is a solo hobby. Sure I can go hunt alone. Sure I reload alone. I even teach reloading but no one wants to learn unless its going to make ammo free for them. So ya I know what you mean.

Im at the point where I think I would enjoy sharing my skills slash hobby with others but its to much work for them.

Sorry its not working out for you.

dondiego
04-09-2023, 04:43 PM
I can't even get someone to go shoot, offering everything minus the range fee. I thought I had one interested in casting, a coworker. We talked and turned out he just wanted me to make him some weights for a grass roller on his riding lawnmower. My only shooting partner died several years ago, and only a couple trips with my daughter have been made. I shoot alone, and then afterwards, I drink alone.

And that lawnmower had a 1/4 acre, gee.

I did get a coworker into reloading and then later into casting and he still does it..........when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself!

Hondolane
04-09-2023, 06:03 PM
May be a time when a reloader is king of the village.

M-Tecs
04-09-2023, 06:26 PM
Since the early 70's I've helped more than 50 people get into reloading. I don't fully remember but I believe everyone approached me for assistance. Me telling someone they should start reloading generally went nowhere.

Txcowboy52
04-09-2023, 06:28 PM
I’ve been reloading for more years than I care to remember, in all that time I’ve never been able to get any of my friends or family the least bit interested. The older I get with things the way they are and shortages on everything, why would I want to !! It leaves more for the rest of us!!

MrWolf
04-09-2023, 07:06 PM
See if you can get your friends into casting. This way they don't have to worry about an explosion (except tinsel fairy) or doing any damage as they can be melted again. That might make them less hesitant.

04-09-2023, 07:07 PM
Perhaps a reflection of the times. Seems generation !@#$%^&&**<>?/., is almost proud of not knowing how to do stuff. So many just giggle when they are asked to change a tire. "I don't know how to do that!" Self-reliance is something from the way-back machine. Hard times will usher in a cure for those who can't, won't do for themselves.

Abenaki
04-09-2023, 08:13 PM
I did not know any reloader. So, I had to teach my self how to do it. That was back in the 70's.
While I have never taught anyone to reload. I did run into a lot of people that wanted me to spend my time and money,
so they could have free ammo. Nope! aint gonna happen.

Take care
Abenaki

Winger Ed.
04-09-2023, 08:47 PM
I've had three that've helped and taught.
One would do it if I held his hand and supervised.
When I told him it was time to leave the nest and get his own equipment, he was done.

Another took to it like throwing a duck in the water and never shot factory ammo again.

A third doesn't shoot much but every couple of years or so he'll sit down and crank out a couple hundred 9mm.

jdgabbard
04-09-2023, 09:07 PM
Cost benefit analysis. Or possibly cost of startup, or components. Personally, at the moment I don't see a huge savings for anyone loading jacketed ammo over buying it. When you can buy a 1000rd case of ammo for +/- $200 USD, and a brick of primers alone costs $100, and the bullets about $100, the idea of reloading isn't that appealing. When you are talking about casting, sure, we can get the cost down. But the startup cost is much higher, and if you count your time you're losing money in this market. When we shift to 5.56, 7.62 Whatever, and any number of other rounds, sure we see a huge savings currently.

Personally, I've been reloading for two decades and I find it a hard sell to reload certain calibers right now, such at the 9mm. Primer cost is the huge hit. I can't justify dropping $100 in primers when I know that be half the cost of buying a case of ammo. Although I did load about 2k in 9mm earlier this year when I needed to restock. I had already dropped the money in components before the current buying frenzy. So I didn't have the additional out of pocket cost, just the replacement cost of whenever I go to buy some more. That is a different conversation. But it is still relevant...

dverna
04-09-2023, 09:57 PM
What a silly thing to worry about. I do not need affirmation that reloading makes sense for me. Your “friends” may think you are a fool and wasting your time....big deal.

Just smile and ignore them.

Friends want to take me ice fishing. I have no desire to. They love it. Different strokes for different folks.

Outpost75
04-09-2023, 10:04 PM
When they whine about the high cost and non availability of ammo and the requirement for a background check and thumb print for ammo taxed by the round, say " I told you so..." And walk away.

As me Sainted Mother warned me as a young lad regarding a fun loving girl I was spending too much time with...

" You can lead a horse to water, but not a ***** to culture."

405grain
04-09-2023, 10:06 PM
Because of ammunition restrictions in California there has been an uptick in the number of people here that want to get into reloading. Unfortunately most of these newbies don't know anything, and don't bother to read things like instructions. I just went over to the reloading section on the Calguns site and the top three posts were about brass prep services. A quick look on the reloading forum on Reddit also confirms what I've already found out. For way too many new reloader the No.1 most important criteria, in fact the most important thing about reloading period, is making sure that their brass is shiny. And don't worry about getting a case tumbler - just outsource it. Then you can share photo online about your shiny brass with your buds and not get shamed or have your posts down voted. The next thing that I noticed about these new reloaders is that they absolutely have to have a progressive reloading press as their first reloading tool. This has to be a Dillon, because it's the only brand that they know of, and if they don't get a Dillon they might get humiliated by their online followers. Sad indeed.

As far as I'm concerned economics has little or nothing to do with reloading. If reloading is the only option that you have in order to keep shooting, so be it. I think that the best reason that anyone should make their own ammo is if they enjoy it. I've had the same single stage Rockchucker since 1982 and it has produced tens of thousands of cartridges. The very last thing anybody needs to do when starting reloading is worrying about keeping up with the Jone's. Not surprisingly, at least in California, there seems to be a lot of fake people here.

jdgabbard
04-09-2023, 10:29 PM
Because of ammunition restrictions in California there has been an uptick in the number of people here that want to get into reloading. Unfortunately most of these newbies don't know anything, and don't bother to read things like instructions. I just went over to the reloading section on the Calguns site and the top three posts were about brass prep services. A quick look on the reloading forum on Reddit also confirms what I've already found out. For way too many new reloader the No.1 most important criteria, in fact the most important thing about reloading period, is making sure that their brass is shiny. And don't worry about getting a case tumbler - just outsource it. Then you can share photo online about your shiny brass with your buds and not get shamed or have your posts down voted. The next thing that I noticed about these new reloaders is that they absolutely have to have a progressive reloading press as their first reloading tool. This has to be a Dillon, because it's the only brand that they know of, and if they don't get a Dillon they might get humiliated by their online followers. Sad indeed.

As far as I'm concerned economics has little or nothing to do with reloading. If reloading is the only option that you have in order to keep shooting, so be it. I think that the best reason that anyone should make their own ammo is if they enjoy it. I've had the same single stage Rockchucker since 1982 and it has produced tens of thousands of cartridges. The very last thing anybody needs to do when starting reloading is worrying about keeping up with the Jone's. Not surprisingly, at least in California, there seems to be a lot of fake people here.

I'm with you on most of this. Although I do take pride in my finished product, and tumble the brass with a little NuFinish. And I primarily use a 4-hole Lee turret press these days simply because I shoot a LOT of handgun ammo, and it would simply take forever on a single stage press - an issue since I consistently find more of my time being taken up with keeping up the household... But you don't have to have the shiny brass. You don't have to have a Dillon Press (even though I wouldn't mind owning one). And you definitely are not servicing yourself by pushing your brass prep off on someone else so that you don't know what about it makes good ammo.

It always seems the new guys have the priorities mixed up. I can remember when I first got into handloading I was sorting pistol brass by weight. I guess I had it in my head that it made some type of difference that I'd be able to articulate while shooting handguns. Sure it resulted in accurate ammo. But not any more accurate than the mixed brass I use today...

Bigslug
04-09-2023, 10:31 PM
"Chingachgook told me 'Don't try to understand them; and don't try to make them understand you. For they are a breed apart and make no sense' " - Hawkeye/Daniel Day-Lewis, The Last of the Mohicans 1992.

I figure that for every 100-300 shooters, there's probably one reloader willing to "read the instructions" and get into messing with powder and primers. For every 50-100 reloaders, there's one willing to take the extra plunge into messing around with molten lead.

I got into it for the economy and got deeper into it because it allows me to shoot things that are old and/or weird. While I really do "enjoy the chase" that goes with the odd reloading project, I can certainly appreciate the concept of throwing money at the problem and coming home with a case of ammo. Lack of time, lack of space, and lack of energy are very real things.

openbook
04-09-2023, 10:51 PM
I think there's probably just a limited number of people out there who have a spontaneous interest in using precision tools and instruments. For some of us this is a meditative, satisfying process that exercises our faculties in unique ways. For other people it looks like a giant chore that starts with a 100-page homework assignment and then 50 decisions about what equipment to buy, etc., etc. Some just don't have the curiosity that led us down this path.

As to the question of why there are so few... My dad was an auto mechanic for 10 years, and although he moved on to other work, he always maintained our cars. When I was a kid I would sit next to the car and hand him tools when he asked, and he would tell me what he was doing. At some point he bought me a 180-piece tool set. I still have it and use it, and now a whole garage and basement full of other tools besides. Dad had a workbench, and I remember him fixing stuff at it. Maybe in a world where more kids knew their way around a tool kit, we'd have more men interested in reloading, building and machining. Or maybe it's just that not many men these days grow up in an environment where they learn the satisfaction that comes from pushing through to the end of a tedious job and enjoying the result. I knew another guy, a World War II vet. He was in his 90s and still did all the maintenance on his home use tractor. He loved that tractor and he loved fixing it. He had two retirements and didn't need to do the work. It was just what he loved to do.

justindad
04-09-2023, 11:30 PM
I need to buy some brass and ammo boxes. All my brass is loaded.

Outer Rondacker
04-10-2023, 07:27 AM
Heck now that I think about it I know guys who own guns and do not even have a bullet in the house for that caliber. I am not joking.

On another note yesterday yes on Easter a guy came to me and ask if I would load him up 5000 rounds of 9mm. I told him I didnt load for others and 9 was cheap enough he could just buy a few thousand for $350 ish a 1k at the shops. He said common Ill give you 100 bucks a 1000s. I laughed and asked let me guess you got your first pistol? Ya and I want to shoot and there is going to be a dollar tax per bullet soon on ammo in NYS. I said I have way to much reloading equipment and I would gladly sell you some at a more than fair price and even show him how to reload it. Heck if we get along perhaps you can even stop bye and shoot on my range with me. The reply was as expected. I just want to get some cheap ammo to blast stuff. I told him you have a good day and dont mud up the yard turning around. Should of asked him how he knew I was a reloader. I suspect one of the others who have tried the same in the past told him a story and he figured he would give it a go.

People think reloading makes ammo FREE or darn close to it. In my area cheapest I can buy a 1000 9mm is about 400 dollars with tax. Well before the NYS new tax hits. Then it will be an extra dollar to ever round and the money will be used to support more gun legislation.

I find its funny how ever once in a while you will talk about something and it seams to happen very shortly after.

Dancing Bear
04-10-2023, 08:29 AM
I know how you feel. I'm the only reloader in my group of shooters/hunters. Mentioned I'd teach them many a time but not one taker. And boy you should have heard the complaints just before the last fre hunting seasons!
Even during the buying ammo was cheaper than reloading era I still saved brass. I check the trash cans at the range and save in calibers I don't have right now. Can always trade or give it away.

Outer Rondacker: this guy wanted to pay 10 cpr? I'd do it If he provided the bullets, primers, brass, powder, dies and a progressive press with you keeping the press and dies.

charlie b
04-10-2023, 08:33 AM
An aspect I had never thought of before.

My daughter's friends discuss prepper compounds and such. They get to a point when they sum up what skills each of them has to offer the group. Most are fishing, sewing, weaving, carpentry, etc, etc. She does not have any of those types of skills. So, she came to me and asked if I'd teach her to reload so she would have a useful skill to bring to the table.

I am just fine being the 'odd duck' who casts and reloads. Let the others buy their ammo. After all, if it weren't for them there wouldn't be many components for us to reload with :)

dverna
04-10-2023, 09:01 AM
During peak of the ammunition shortage, I loaded some hunting ammunition for a guy at deer camp. There was no .270 ammunition available. The ammunition shot very well and then he asked me to load 500 rounds for his AR. I politely declined the "opportunity". I will never do that again.

People think you just sit down for a hour and crank 500 rounds out. I can do that with pistol ammunition (Dillon 1050) but not with rifle ammunition (Co-Ax). Plus, helping out a guy to hunt is a lot different than making blasting ammunition. It is not only illegal, but I do not enjoy making ammunition. And like others have said, they think it is "free".

I offered to show two guys at deer camp how to reload but told them upfront to plan to produce about one box of ammunition per hour until they learned the process Every case had to be inspected, cleaned and then trimmed before it could be reloaded because we had to buy unknown cases. They whined about the cost and availability of hunting ammunition but did not want to put in the effort.

Do not make the mistake of helping out a friend by loading a box or two of hunting ammunition for them. They will expect you to "help" them again. And today, ammunition is available so there is no need. If it costs $30+ a box, it is not your problem.

JoeJames
04-10-2023, 09:06 AM
I have always been particular about my shooting. Being on the college rifle team in the late 60's encouraged that. Been reloading since @1982. Did a little casting, but really got serious about it about 4 years ago when I could see the handwriting on the wall regarding bullet supply. Then as an extra unforeseen benefit I discovered my cast bullets tended to be more accurate than store bought; at least in the pistol calibers - 32S&W Long, 38 Special, and 44 Special. One friend has started reloading for 41 Special. I have helped him get over the hurdles with that caliber, but he's not gotten into casting yet.

Rockindaddy
04-10-2023, 09:11 AM
Stopper:
Had great success teaching my grandson how to reload. He bought himself a really nice Ruger 77 at a gun show. Being 18 years old and shopping for just the right rifle and learning how to negotiate with older sellers; worked a fair deal. He kind of cringed when he saw the ammo prices. So it was "hey pap, you reload don't you". Can you whip up some shells for me. Of course I said yes but will need some help. He showed up with his new rifle on a Saturday with his girlfriend. Figured I would start from scratch. Handed him the RCBS 270 dies I had on the shelf. He stopped earlier in the week and bought a 100 Hornady 140 gr bullets. Showed him how to screw the dies into the press. He learned how to resize and reprime. He had his girlfriend weighing powder charges and seating bullets. What really made it was the fact that I have a 100 yard range on the farm. He and his friend took his new rifle oout to the range and shot the different powder charges to pick the best group. He shot a nice 10point buck that fall with his reloads. He banged several woodchucks with his reloads too. Now he has an AR platform 223 that is his coyote rig. He got to reloading for that rifle and shoots dime size 100 yard groups. Check out Ethan the "yotey" hunter! Shot with his pet handloads. Sometimes you can teach a skill and your student runs with it. Sometimes there is no fire or ambition and your student is lazy or just cannot be bothered.312836

Targa
04-10-2023, 09:26 AM
Of the few friends I have, all gun guys, I am the only one that reloads. They threaten to take up reloading but haven’t made that leap yet. Of course it probably doesn’t help that I am an enabler and with exception of the high volume bottom feeder stuff I reload for their wheel guns .38Spl to .44mag and to an extent a few rifles.

Dancing Bear
04-10-2023, 09:44 AM
Oh, and I have an acquaintance who offered to go the range with me and help me shoot my 44 mag reloads. No thank you. About 10 years ago I put together an analysis of reloading costs vs manufactured ammo for him and his son. But....

Froogal
04-10-2023, 10:01 AM
Next question. Do we shoot so we can reload? Or do we reload so we can shoot?

The answer to both questions is YES.

Stopsign32v
04-10-2023, 10:35 AM
Next question. Do we shoot so we can reload? Or do we reload so we can shoot?

The answer to both questions is YES.

I absolutely love reloading. To take a mess of parts which don't mean much and put them all together with your own knowledge and turn them into 1 thing that has a purpose...Well it's the closest thing to giving birth us men can do.

Adam Helmer
04-10-2023, 10:38 AM
Post #2 says it all.... I always encourage folks to get into reloading, IF they ask for help. I began reloading in 1962 and casting for most of my guns in 1967. I do not think I have a dozen boxes of factory on the farm.

I would be reluctant to have some of my friends reload ammunition. Many gun owners are not "too swift." Case in point: last year a fellow gun club member got gas at a full-service gas station nearby. The attendant checked the oil in the truck as said it was "about a quart low." The truck owner asked the price, which seemed too much, so he got a quart of oil at Walmart on the way home. About an hour later he called me and asked me to come over. I went and saw the hood up on his truck in the driveway. He said, "The oil won't go down." I told him it would go better into the crankcase than the power steering reservoir!

Some folks should let reloading ALONE! LOL.

Adam

murf205
04-10-2023, 11:01 AM
Stopper:
Had great success teaching my grandson how to reload. He bought himself a really nice Ruger 77 at a gun show. Being 18 years old and shopping for just the right rifle and learning how to negotiate with older sellers; worked a fair deal. He kind of cringed when he saw the ammo prices. So it was "hey pap, you reload don't you". Can you whip up some shells for me. Of course I said yes but will need some help. He showed up with his new rifle on a Saturday with his girlfriend. Figured I would start from scratch. Handed him the RCBS 270 dies I had on the shelf. He stopped earlier in the week and bought a 100 Hornady 140 gr bullets. Showed him how to screw the dies into the press. He learned how to resize and reprime. He had his girlfriend weighing powder charges and seating bullets. What really made it was the fact that I have a 100 yard range on the farm. He and his friend took his new rifle oout to the range and shot the different powder charges to pick the best group. He shot a nice 10point buck that fall with his reloads. He banged several woodchucks with his reloads too. Now he has an AR platform 223 that is his coyote rig. He got to reloading for that rifle and shoots dime size 100 yard groups. Check out Ethan the "yotey" hunter! Shot with his pet handloads. Sometimes you can teach a skill and your student runs with it. Sometimes there is no fire or ambition and your student is lazy or just cannot be bothered.312836

Wow, that's a big coyote. There is nothing like having a grandson/daughter at your side to teach a lesson/hobby to. Congrats to him and the girlfriend for making this pay off. This grandfather thing is even better than I thought it would be.

Recycled bullet
04-10-2023, 11:10 AM
I shoot so I can cast[emoji16]

Bruntson
04-10-2023, 11:13 AM
I find that reloading is a separate hobby from shooting. It involves a different skill set and different equipment. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reloading. If I had to judge which hobby I enjoy more, reloading would come out on top by a slight margined. As a subset hobby in reloading is casting and sizing. Once again its a different skill with different set of equipment. I cast from 6 different pistol molds in 4 calibers. If I had to rank order, top to bottom, which hobby gives the most enjoyment it would be; reloading, shooting, then casting. I have attempted to get others interested but their main goal is to save money on ammo. What with start up cost in equipment, dies, powder, and primers (if you can find them), they quickly lose interest and buy factory ammo. I did show one relative how to reload. He said he was interested if he could use all my reloading equipment and supplies. But he did offered to just pay for the powder, primers, and bullets he used. I politely declined.

makeurownfun
04-10-2023, 11:36 AM
Oh man, I have gone back and forth on this topic. I have a couple of "gun friends" and none of them load.

IF they ask, I tell them to get into it, and I'll help. I won't do it for you. But I do not mind sitting down with them and explaining anything I can.

Reloading is a hobby of mine. I enjoy buying and building guns. I enjoy shooting. So, reloading only made sense. My grandfather reloaded back in the late 80s to 2000 or so. While in school I would go and load his primer tubes for him (not knowing anything that was going on) and man what I would give up, to have those times back! I inherited his equipment and my uncles, so that just cemented my passion for this hobby. I now keep track of what and how many primers/powder I have on hand, like my Pappaw.
I started collecting lead about 6 years ago because I could see the writing on the wall. I now cast my own projectiles and my buddies think it's awesome. Yet, none of them have as much as dipped their toe in.

I've explained to all of them when they ask, it's not hard, but also not fast. It's a labor of love, and if you don't enjoy doing it, you won't do it. Some weekends are only brass prep...

farmerjim
04-10-2023, 11:43 AM
I started reloading 12 ga shotgun 59 years ago to save money. $3 for 25 vs $1.50 to reload. When checking the shot patterns on my gun I found many had big holes in them.I found a 1 5/8 2 3/4 in load that shot like a dream. After a couple of years of shotgun loading I got into rifle and pistol loading.
I bought a couple of molds and 300 lbs of WW for $.005 a pound. Got out of reloading for a while ( lived in Canada and had to leave the pistols back in Louisiana) I got all my old reloading equipment bought back in the 60's and started reloading again. I have tried to get others into reloading, but with no luck. I did reload some 30 carbine for a friend when there were none to be found, but nobody wants to learn. Everybody is complaining about the cost of ammo, but I am still loading with components bought back in the good old days.

Kestrel4k
04-10-2023, 11:49 AM
Had great success teaching my grandson how to reload. [...]
Really good job on that; sounds like a new lifelong reloader & certainly good to have on board. :-)

MostlyLeverGuns
04-10-2023, 12:00 PM
I have had acquaintances and neighbors ask me to reload for them. Some act like they are really giving me a great opportunity to make money. Comfortably retired, I always offer to teach them to reload, using my equipment to start, even supply component for the first box. NO TAKERS. I do enjoy reloading, finding that 'just right' combination for a particular firearm and purpose, easy shooting for fun, a few thumpers for elk, speedy, flat shooters for pronghorn. Hunting, shooting are highest on my list, tinkering on guns and reloading for accuracy and specific purpose next, casting, not so much. I like to shoot cast bullets, I have all the stuff to cast and a mold for every rifle, plus a many more, but there are many cast bullet sellers with high quality products at very reasonable prices that I use. Chasing after scrap lead is time consuming and expensive where I live. UPS and USPS deliver reliably so... Some calibers - 9mm, 40 S&W are not worth reloading at current cost of replacement primers, I do enjoy shooting my .32 Special's and .35 Remington's while others can't find cartridges.

rbuck351
04-10-2023, 12:39 PM
When I lived in AK I was on Alaska Outdoor Forum which has a shooting and reloading section. I offered anyone that wanted to learn to come to my house and use my equipment and I would show them how to reload with several different types of presses. In several years I had one show up as he wanted to load some 32/20 for a revolver. I supplied the powder, primers and boolits for 50 rds. Might have been a couple of dollars worth of components. I think he just wanted to shoot an old revolver he got from his grandfather.
One other friend had a Ruger 44mag that he wanted to reload for. I cast him some boolits and let him use my press. He is the only one I have ever actually got into reloading and he went nuts with reloading and more guns.

I DO NOT reload for others except for my son but I will let most anyone use my loading gear and knowledge to learn to load.

I reload so I can shot as much as I want. If I didn't load I would have trouble shooting many of the guns I have. 25/20, 32/20, 35, rem 350 rem, 358 Norma, 7.62x25 , .410 7.7 Jap, 30 rem. and others are very difficult to find.

Murphy
04-10-2023, 02:36 PM
In my 40-45 years of reloading, I've gotten exactly 3 people into reloading that I know of who are still active at it. Two of them started years ago, one started during the pandemic. I told the last one, you couldn't have picked a worse time to start hoss. His work had him traveling quite a bit, and that helped him gather some of the items he needed. Once he had obtained all the necessities, I went to his house and helped him mount the press and get started. He hasn't been back in touch but 3-4 times since then.

Casting you say? Not one person has wanted to learn when I told them I cast my own, none. I do have one who own's and operates a local pawn & gun. He has all the equipment, and has had for 3-4 years that I'm aware of. He said he and a friend were going to learn. I told him I'd been doing it for decades and would be more than happy to come lend a hand if he'd like. So far, he still hasn't fired up a pot of lead.

I guess it all comes down to priorities. Either someone wants to shoot, or they don't. Okay, economics do come into play and I understand that. Been there, done that.

Takes too much time? I guess that depends how much a persons time is worth to them. I don't really know what my time is worth, I truly don't. That's up for each individual to decide for their self.

Truth be told, I'm starting to run really, really low on empathy for people who haven't figured it out yet. It costs more to shoot these days, period. Or, you can learn to reload and save a fair amount. And that's even going to cost more than it used to.

One of the irony's of this site, is the number of people who don't cast. After all, the intent and purpose of this site to begin with was to learn about casting and share experiences.

Murphy

fredj338
04-10-2023, 03:09 PM
Reloading isnt for everyone, especially in todays component shortages/pricing. Fear is a factor, time is a perceived factor, though realy isnt. I have gotten a few people to jump in, but they are all competition shooters.

Kraschenbirn
04-10-2023, 03:15 PM
I've been reloading since the late 1950s...learned from my Boy Scout Rifle Team coach. Since then, I've introduced/mentored several shooters into reloading but, these days, like the OP said nobody's seems interested.

I've been a member of the same rifle/pistol club for over forty years and, when I first joined, the majority of members with whom I became acquainted were reloaders. Today, of our 250 members, perhaps a 10% reload...and I suspect that estimate may be over optimistic. Not many years ago, you rarely found any serviceable brass on our range; today, the gravel of our covered firing lines contains nearly as much brass as rock...mostly 9mm and 5.56/.223. This morning, the scrap bucket behind the pistol line was about half full of of once-fired 9mm and .38 Spl from the weekend. No, I didn't bother to scarf up on it as I already have several two-pound coffee cans of each...already tumbled and ready to feed to the Dillon. Sad, but I guess that's just the way things are.

Bill

GregLaROCHE
04-10-2023, 03:17 PM
Reloading is a small part of the overall firearms market. Some of us enjoy it, but the vast majority would rather be doing something else. As far as encouraging a friend to try it, is like trying to make a horse drink water.

charlie b
04-10-2023, 03:34 PM
Reading all this reminds me of another hobby I used to do. RC airplanes. There is a choice to buy a ready to fly plane or to build your own. I almost always built my own. Gave me a lot of satisfaction to fly planes that I build. Others scoffed at me for taking all that time to build something that they just purchased off the shelf.

Another one. Sewing. Making something with your own hands. You get to make it exactly the way you want. Most just buy the stuff off the shelves. Offshoot of sewing is weaving. Make the cloth that you sew with. And, no, I don't make clothes. Lots of bags of various types, gun cases, etc. And leatherwork is part of that as well, so, holsters and belts.

The difference in these other hobbies is the final product you make costs as much or more than what you can buy in the store, made in some sweatshop in a 3rd world country. We do it because we derive a lot of satisfaction from making our own stuff.

Some people like making stuff. Some don't.

jdgabbard
04-10-2023, 03:38 PM
In my 40-45 years of reloading, I've gotten exactly 3 people into reloading that I know of who are still active at it. Two of them started years ago, one started during the pandemic. I told the last one, you couldn't have picked a worse time to start hoss. His work had him traveling quite a bit, and that helped him gather some of the items he needed. Once he had obtained all the necessities, I went to his house and helped him mount the press and get started. He hasn't been back in touch but 3-4 times since then.

Casting you say? Not one person has wanted to learn when I told them I cast my own, none. I do have one who own's and operates a local pawn & gun. He has all the equipment, and has had for 3-4 years that I'm aware of. He said he and a friend were going to learn. I told him I'd been doing it for decades and would be more than happy to come lend a hand if he'd like. So far, he still hasn't fired up a pot of lead.

I guess it all comes down to priorities. Either someone wants to shoot, or they don't. Okay, economics do come into play and I understand that. Been there, done that.

Takes too much time? I guess that depends how much a persons time is worth to them. I don't really know what my time is worth, I truly don't. That's up for each individual to decide for their self.

Truth be told, I'm starting to run really, really low on empathy for people who haven't figured it out yet. It costs more to shoot these days, period. Or, you can learn to reload and save a fair amount. And that's even going to cost more than it used to.

One of the irony's of this site, is the number of people who don't cast. After all, the intent and purpose of this site to begin with was to learn about casting and share experiences.

Murphy

I understand that all too well. Back when I was still living down in Atoka I knew of about three people that messed with it. Only one of them cast, and hadn't done that for years. Today, now that I live in Tulsa, I only know a few who still handload. And they were met on this forum.

Seems that in today's shooting sports it isn't quite as popular as it was in the decades past. I think a lot of that has to do with cheap bulk ammo. But a lot also has to do with ever increasing component cost. And also people's busy lives today compared to what it used to be like.

OS OK
04-10-2023, 03:49 PM
It ain't their 'cuppa'tea' so forget about it, simple as that. If ever they do want to reload/cast you'll probably be first on their list of possible mentors.

blackthorn
04-10-2023, 04:52 PM
My personnel journey started in the mid 1960's after six+ years of scrimping/saving to finally get the 300 Weatherby rifle my heart desired. It came with open sights, sling, scope and one box (20) of cartridges. Cartridges were $20 per box at that time. I determined I needed to reload. Reason? Why to save money of course LOL. At the time, new brass was simply not available. A hunting partner told me 300 H&H would fire-form to my chamber so I bought three boxes of 300 H&H factory rounds from a going out of business sale (cheap). I also owned a 30-30 Marlin octagon barreled rifle (not carbine), a Lee Enfield 303 and a Savage 270 so I began to load for those also. I learned to reload from books and some help from an older gentleman at the range. Early on I determined that we (Canada) had a history of more Liberal governments than Conservative and they do not like (want) an armed populace (I hate Liberals)! Every chance I get I buy components and just put away the ones I do not need immediately. I have two sons, one Granddaughter and one Great Grandson (he's 11). My Granddaughter is not a shooter (I tried, but---) but both sons are, and my Great Grandson looks forward to my visits so we can spend time together, some of it shooting. I wish he lived closer but life is what it is. In addition to the aforementioned saving money, my basic underlying purpose in accumulating components and reloading tools is because I fear the Liberals will eventually succeed in making it impossible to get what we need, one way or another. My entrance into the world of bullet casting was/is driven by the same philosophy. I have mould(s) for everything I have (but one). I have at least a ton+ of lead, some solder and quite a bit of Babbitt put aside and I will not say no thanks to any offers of more.

dondiego
04-10-2023, 05:56 PM
You guys are amazingly unique and talented individuals and I am proud to know you. When I was shooting competitive Trap, I was shooting 5000 targets a year.....yea, I reloaded mine.

45workhorse
04-10-2023, 05:58 PM
Like everybody else, I have offered, but no takers.
Plenty of, can you load caliber X, usually yes, can you load some for me, no!

hades
04-10-2023, 06:10 PM
A coworker bought a 300 blk AR. He did graciously let us all have a few shots with it one time when we were shooting 'league' at my place. I've asked him a few times if he's shot subs out of it yet and how it did.

His response is, have you seen how expensive those are?

Ehhh, no, no I haven't because I could load my own for a fraction of the cost, (if I had a 300 blk..).

I've tried getting him into it and another coworker as well that both really like shooting and have commented multiple times about ammo cost.

Buys ANOTHER 9mm, I'm like why don't you get a 357 revolver or something different since you've got like 6 9mms already.

Again the ammo cost.

Wouldn't cost all that much if you rolled your own... They both steadfastly refuse to entertain the idea.

The one is all about DIY and is a smart capable guy too. He'd really enjoy learning all there is to learn about reloading his own ammunition.

I'll keep not so subtly dropping hints by getting out my 44s and passing them around for everyone to shoot and shrugging off the cost of ammo since, while not free, is a hell of a lot less than 70 cents or a dollar a round that its currently going for.

Get a press, dies, and scale, and pay me in lead and it'll get real cheap to shoot, when I give some of the lead back as bullets.

Four-Sixty
04-10-2023, 08:06 PM
I'd be curious if those of you who reload, also do your own home improvement? I think that could be a litmus test of if someone is viable candidate to be a reloader, or caster. I've laid my own tile, installed wood flooring, rebuilt an entire kitchen, replaced wire, sweat copper pipe, put in fencing and installed a shower and more.

Kraschenbirn
04-10-2023, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=Four-Sixty;5562597]I'd be curious if those of you who reload, also do your own home improvement? I think that could be a litmus test of if someone is viable candidate to be a reloader...

You could be on to something here. I'm a retired restoration/renovation contractor and still do as much of my own improvement/repair work as I'm physically able to handle safely. Of course, I was reloading long before I got into the business but, then, I've alway preferred 'DIY' to store-bought, anyway.

Bill

jdgabbard
04-10-2023, 08:43 PM
I'd be curious if those of you who reload, also do your own home improvement? I think that could be a litmus test of if someone is viable candidate to be a reloader, or caster. I've laid my own tile, installed wood flooring, rebuilt an entire kitchen, replaced wire, sweat copper pipe, put in fencing and installed a shower and more.

Depends on what we’re talking about. Need a new faucet or light switch installed, no problem. Need something that is going to look good, I’ll hire someone. Fact is that while I grew up doing house work I realize that I’m not a plumber, electrician, roofer, or a tile guy. My profession is the legal field. That’s what I’m good at. Not ruining a perfectly good floor with a substandard job. I wouldn’t suggest a plumber do his own legal work. And I wouldn’t expect a plumber or electrician to tell me to do my own plumbing or electrical work. It’s all about knowing where to draw the line…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregLaROCHE
04-10-2023, 11:24 PM
I understand that all too well. Back when I was still living down in Atoka I knew of about three people that messed with it. Only one of them cast, and hadn't done that for years. Today, now that I live in Tulsa, I only know a few who still handload. And they were met on this forum.

Seems that in today's shooting sports it isn't quite as popular as it was in the decades past. I think a lot of that has to do with cheap bulk ammo. But a lot also has to do with ever increasing component cost. And also people's busy lives today compared to what it used to be like.

The average American gun owner has changed greatly over the years. I think the percentage of gun owners that reload has gone way down.

35 Rem
04-11-2023, 12:12 AM
When somebody wants me to load them up some cheap ammo I always tell them that if they buy the bullets, powder and primers and bring cases I'll help them put it all together. That has stopped all so far. Once they see how much current costs are plus the fact that the components aren't ever going to all be used up due to the quantities you have to buy they quickly decide to keep on buying factory ammo. Most of them are only hunters anyhow and don't need more than a box of ammo each year or two. I always emphasis that I anticipated politically driven price/availability issues with components and that I'm not willing to sell them my components at 5 or 10 year ago prices then have to replace them at today's prices just so they can save a few dollars on a box of deer ammo.

As far as starting people on loading ammo I was really only involved with a couple that I can recall. One was a do-it-yourself friend who bought a 1911 and wanted cheap ammo for it. He got a Lee progressive exactly like the one I had at the time and used it quite a bit for a good while. Not sure if he loads anymore now or not. He never had interest in loading for any other guns. The other fella was a real enthusiastic revolver shooter when we 1st met and he knew I was into guns. We talked for may long sessions all about guns and loading ammo. He had the burning desire and predictably soon got into loading his own ammo. It took a few more years until I could get him to try casting his own bullets. Once he found the Fryxell book that was the final straw he got into casting full force and is one of the most enthusiastic shooters I know.

A couple other gun nut friends I know where already so deep into guns when I 1st knew them that we were all loaders and casters already. My best friend in High School and college was sort of like me, we were born with a burning desire to fool with guns and learn as much as possible. We had no adult/internet or even reloading manual to teach us. We just sort of instinctively knew what to do somehow based on sheer desire to learn. If somebody don't have that, they aren't going to stick with it anyhow.

M-Tecs
04-11-2023, 12:41 AM
Getting into reloading and starting a diet have a lot in common. No one wants to hear about it or do it until they are ready to. I have been competitively shooting in one form or another for a very long time. Economics pushes most of them into reloading. Optimizing accuracy for long range competition is another.

Low usage or low demand shooters tend not want to get into reloading or if they do they don't want to get very in-depth.

trapper9260
04-11-2023, 05:32 AM
Like everybody else, I have offered, but no takers.
Plenty of, can you load caliber X, usually yes, can you load some for me, no!

I get that also from some, but they complain about can not find ammo or the cost is too high. I tell them well load your own ammo then . If they say I do not know how, then learn and there is manuals out there. They back off. Also what many stated on here . It is their problem not my.

762 shooter
04-11-2023, 06:58 AM
Most are amazed and wonder at how I learned to reload.

I'm still trying to figure out a fitting response to that question.

Froogal
04-11-2023, 09:16 AM

YES! Electrical, plumbing, remodeling. Also do most of any mechanic work. Used to do all of it, but old age has gotten in the way. I even build my own steel targets and the frames to mount them although some of those are rather crude.

Rapier
04-11-2023, 09:49 AM
I am getting older now but in my early life, I did a bit of motorcycle and car racing, mountain climbing, parachuting, free diving, gulf fishing, etc. I usually ask, and leave it at that. I tend to my interests and let those that do not share my interest go their own way. I do not go back and ask them again unless they have another commitment, then I will ask twice.

charlie b
04-11-2023, 10:11 AM

Yes. Rebuilt a kitchen and two bathrooms (including wall work, cabinetry, plumbing and some electrical). Put a new floor in two houses. Also did my own car maintenance, rebuilt an engine on both truck and motorcycle. Made my own gokart when I was still in grade school. Army time I was part of a tank crew so did my part of the maintenance.

So, yeah, reloading was kind of a given when I started shooting a lot. I remember shooting my 1911 for less cost than a .22. Primer and powder, wheel weights were free, cases were 'free' from the military ranges I was assigned to. Even got a batch of 1911 magazines one time when the armory was replenishing old stuff.

I had to teach myself the majority of the time. Books from the library and an quest for knowledge about how things work, eg, in 8th grade I read a book on the efficiency of exhaust systems on engines. Formal education went on to an MS deg in mech eng and then learning a lot more on the job, especially the high power laser stuff. :)

Soundguy
04-11-2023, 10:40 AM
Anyone ever run into this? For the past 8 years I've probably tried getting my friends into reloading. Back at the beginning I just collected 9mm brass because "Some day..." but back then it was literally cheaper to buy and shoot 9mm rather than reload..

Wait.. what? cheaper to buy than reload 9mm 8ys ago? uh... nope.. I'm calling this one out.

8ys ago it was easy to get 2.5c primers..28$ a pound powder and 1$ /# range lead.

Lets break that down:

using a 115gr cast projectile.. you run about 1.6c per bullet out of that 1$ range lead. ( 60.86 bullets per pound.. round to 60 )

using 28$ a pound powder ( titegroup ) you use 4.1gr charge ( yeilds 1707.3 charges rounded to 1700 ).. thus 1.6c powder

Primers are 2.5c

lube? .5c easily

brass? free.. you were picking it up..

(math) = 6.2c per round

Where were you buying a 50round box of 9mm for 3.10$ 8 ys ago?.. that's 62$ per thousand.

I just researched 9mm ammo on TFB from 2015 ( 8 ys ago.. right? ) they have kept price lists per manufacturer on line as searchable data. The very best price around for bulk 9mm in 1000rnd lots was centerfire systems for 199$.. so.. 20c a round.

Cheapest i ever remember was a pawn shop near me back in 96 that would sell lead reloads.. and the 9mm ammo was 8$ per 50.. but if you brought the box and tray back they were 6$ per 50... Back then I could shoot more than I made on a single stage press so sometimes bought those 6$ boxes..

Either you lived in an area where ammo prices were 75% cheaper than the rest of the country.. or your reloading resources cost 75% more than most other places????

In any event.. yeah.. I can't imagine why some shooters won't reload. I have a friend who works in the tech sector and likes to shoot.. He noticed I have never had problems with ammo over the years with all the weapon bans.. sandy hooks.. etc.. So he one day just ordered himself up a full dillon setup with all the bells and whistles and caliber conversion kits in the 3 rifle and 4 pistol calibers he shoots. Everything at once... 20# powder.. about 10K primers.. about 5K assorted bullets... all the goodies.. prep kits.. powder droppers.. hand tools.. trimers.. etc.. whole deal...he makes good money.. so he got it all in 1 lick... a manual for each powder maker and projectile maker.. plus the hornady online subscription and app.. etc... setup his air conditioned garage.. with a nice hardwood bench.. shelves.. got the aftermarket light kit and all the trays and feeders for his dillon... and yet... I think he has made about 10 rounds in .223 so far...and the gear just has been setting there for the last 4 years.

It kills me to go to his place and see a reloaders dream setting out there doing nothing.. and yet when he is not working from home and actually goes to his office.. he passes a bass pro and will buy pre made ammo???? ***?

It took me decades to piece together my mixed bag of gear.. lee pacific..lyman.. rcbs.. C&C ideal.. etc... I have a good setup for me.. but it was a work in progress for the last few decades... I can't imagine what it would have been like starting out with everything all at once...

Ed K
04-11-2023, 03:33 PM

I came in the house for a cool drink and find myself reading Cast Boolits after doing the brakes all around on my Ford explorer. Do I do my own home improvement? Everything! From recently fixing my plumbing that was unproperly pitched by a licensed plumber to single-handedly stripping and reroofing 54 squares last fall.

Handloading, heating exclusively with wood, coping base molding one day and working with my milling machine the next. Not blowing my horn here as I really believe a lot of you guys are like me. Glad to be here. :drinks:

Oh, and I don't load "blasting ammo" so I don't compare my cost with 9mm FMJ. For example magnum revolver loads with quality cast WFNs & LFNs costs a lot even in the best of times. So either those or similarly interesting rifle ammo is what I cast & load. Hate to say it but the economics of handloading that stuff still works with $75 primers.

35 Rem
04-11-2023, 04:53 PM
I certainly fit the bill for a do-it-yourselfer. I shy back from finished house work. That's not really an issue because I'm easy to please and once a house is built I have no desire to change anything. Now I do plumbing repairs, change light switches. Did all the wiring for my detached garage including digging the ditch to run the power out there and install the breaker box. I used to be a real hotrod nut and have rebuilt over a dozen engines. Did an engine swap in one of my cars that required drilling new holes for the engine and transmission mounts to locate the drivetrain from scratch. Have kept all sorts of old farm machinery running for years - mostly 1940's Farmall tractors but also various hay equipment, plows, etc. Mess around with machining using a cheapo lathe/mill combo machine but have been limited there. Weld whatever breaks around the farm also. Work on wells, barn tops, built a large pole barn shop with concrete floor with my Father 30+ years ago. He taught me to be self-sufficient and it stuck I suppose. :) It was just natural that I would want to make my own ammo when I got into guns at an early age.

Kraschenbirn
04-11-2023, 08:03 PM
I gotta agree with Soundguy...(discounting time spent) it's always been cheaper to reload. At one time, I was shooting a lot of revolver competition...like PPC, Pin games, etc...I ran the numbers for my .38 Spls and .45 ACPs and, at that time, those agreed within a penny or so with his for 9mms. Of course, I can also remember getting pull-down 147 gr FMJs (from M80 ball) from Pat Bartlett for $60/1000 (+shipping), too.

Bill

Soundguy
04-11-2023, 09:05 PM
Yup.. No doubt..time is spent! No argument there...

mike_kaleigh
04-12-2023, 06:40 AM
I am an electrician of 25 years, but can do most stuff for my cars, (but new stuff is getting real hard with out 2000 dollar computer) i have a 300 dollar one, do everything around my house, heat with wood, weld. I got all my skills from my dad, and i am trying to make sure my kids get it from me, my daughter is 17 and I made her pack her own wheel bearings when she smoked the brakes off her car, my son 14 is really getting interested in all the cars, tools ect. he is actually paying attention when I make my kids help me around the house work on things.

MY wife shoots with me occasionally and even has her conceal carry license. That is a lot, when I first meet her she was anti gun 100 percent. She told me she did not want guns in the house before we got married, told her that was not up for discussion, but she realized it isn't a big deal and supports my hobbies and even helps clean brass, she told me to get the dillion rl1100 I had my eye on for years. Both of my kids shoot because with guns in the house they need to know about all of them, the safety involved ect. My son is definitely more into shooting, and we do it all the time together, he is more of a blaster shooter, but we always make bets on who has to buy the other a slushee at the end of the range session by who get closer to the 10 ring with the 308 bolt gun. When he gets a little older I will get him more involved in reloading than just helping.

Very few people at my sportsman club reload, but the few that do pick up every piece of brass before I can get it, and I have to go to state ranges to get brass. I dont have any friends that reload, had a bunch ask me to make them ammo. told them they can come over and make it with my help, no takers. I think reloading is dieing out and especially casting with all the awareness of lead and health.

kevin c
04-12-2023, 12:29 PM
In all my years in the action pistol games, there was only one regular who used factory ammo, and he had money. Everyone else reloads because the round can be tailored to the gun and specific use, and it saves a pile of bucks when you go through 30 thousand or more rounds per year.

Casting, though is a different matter. The time commitments are more than most folks are willing to deal with for the amount of bullets needed for the action shooting sports, especially pistol. By way of example, I just finished casting 17 - 18 K 9mm slugs, which represents 24 hours of nonstop casting. Making the alloy was about 3 hours work, and coating, baking and sizing the bullets will take about 10 1/2 hours (I didn’t include set up and breakdown, since I can’t leave my gear set up where I currently do it; that adds a lot more time). So that’s over two hours of work per thousand just to get to having a reloadable bullet. My friends’ eyes light up when I tell them my production cost is under 1.5¢ per bullet, but balk when I describe the time commitment.

So some reload as a matter of have to, some for fun, but if it’s viewed as a time consuming chore that money will make go away, most will opt to buy rather than make their ammo. And that goes double for casting.

Soundguy
04-12-2023, 12:50 PM
Imagine if you lube-sized vs powder coated..how much that 10hr coating and sizing would drop. ;)

jdgabbard
04-12-2023, 01:23 PM
I am an electrician of 25 years, but can do most stuff for my cars, (but new stuff is getting real hard with out 2000 dollar computer) i have a 300 dollar one

I know that feeling in my bones. A friend of mine is an Electrical Engineer who does maintenance on navigation systems in the Aviation field. One of the protocols used in Avionics is the ARINC 429, which costs a good bit of change to acquire. This protocol is used in a variety of applications, it's mandatory that you have a way to read the data from it in order to diagnose and test aircraft. However, getting a portable solution for test flights of repaired systems is astronomical in cost. This prompted us to begin development of a home rolled solution. Currently we have a working prototype, and he's working on software development. Right now the the idea is be able to log the data and verify it with another portable unit. But eventually this will be a stand alone system capable of receiving or transferring packages of data on the fly for testing and debugging. Our goal is to offer an affordable solution to the industry...something nobody does for Aviation....

phantom22
04-12-2023, 01:24 PM
Part of my desire to learn reloading was my own life philosophy of being as self-reliant as possible. This was years ago before Covid and since then it has only cemented the philosophy of self-reliance. It's not even anything major. Simple things like changing my own oil, reloading, casting, cooking, lawn care, home repair, computers etc...

Since adopting that philosophy I have learned to do a great deal of things. I've learned what's beyond my capabilities (usually physically at this point). Saved a boat load of money. The sense of accomplishment from having no knowledge about a subject to being able to make it work yourself gives plenty of confidence to try and tackle the next challenge.

One of the main takeaways from this way of life is that I 100% should have went to a trade or vocational school. Most of what you pay out the nose for as far as routine maintenance and basic repairs are incredibly easy once you put the effort in to learn and try.

My latest huge savings was fixing a cracked and leaking pipe in my crawlspace. I have a bad back and being 6'4" is not a good start for crawlspace work, but the $15 dollars in parts and the 90 minutes of time (most of which was trying to crawl in the small space) was a good result. I never got any estimates, but I figured it would probably be at least $200-300 for a plumber to come do it for me.

I also call reloading and the like, Practicing the Manly Arts. So if all else fails, mock them for being soft. It doesn't work for everyone, but a well deserved mocking will motivate me to do things I would have never thought I could do. :razz:

Budzilla 19
04-12-2023, 02:58 PM
For the past 30+ years, I have tried to get my friends to get into reloading their own ammo! ONE, ONE guy took it up. Still does it and when found out about casting lead boolits, and the cost savings associated with it, he went HOG WILD!! Powder coat, sizers, the whole 9 yards! ......................... the rest of those knuckleheads? “ Hey, bruh, you still reload, I can’t find any shells for my whatever caliber” sorry, dude, told ya to get on board. I know where you at.

JoeJames
04-13-2023, 09:14 AM
There are some folks who do not read or know much at all about firearms, much less reloading or casting. My cousin had a gun shop/pawn shop. He was talking with one of his older customers. The feller said he liked to shoot his 44 Magnum revolver, but it was just too stout for him. He said he bought special reduced power 44 Magnum reloads from a feller who would custom reload them for him, and they were kind of expensive. My cousin asked him why he didn't shoot 44 Specials in his 44 Magunm revolver? The feller had never heard of such. My cousin explained about 44 Specials and how they would certainly shoot just fine in his revolver. Finally the light bulb went on, and the feller bought some boxes of factory 44 Specials from him. This was before factory ammo prices went crazy.

rbuck351
04-13-2023, 11:51 AM
I'm a DIY guy. I have worked as a motorcycle mechanic, auto mechanic, auto engine rebuild ( I assembled over 500 at one shop ) and do all my own work at home from raising a house and finishing the basement to doing all my auto repair. It's very seldom I pay to have anything done. I do all my own gun repair including an occasional rebarrel.

When I started reloading it was all about economy. I started with a Lee whack a mole 12ga at 14 yrs old and learned from a friend how to save even more. I bought reclaimed shot and picked up used wads at the trap club then washed them in the washing machine. IIRC it cost me about $1.25 per box to reload 12 ga. A few years later I was casting and loading 38Spl for about a penny a round. I still, at 74, do every thing my self so I can have more money for toys.

Yesterday UPS dropped off the new front springs for my Chevy Cavalier and I need to install those then rototill the garden to get it ready for planting the potatoes and corn. I don't think I'll ever get caught up.

lightman
04-13-2023, 12:16 PM
I have to admit that I haven't tried very hard to get new people involved in reloading. I'll go to a lot of effort to help new reloaders but I just haven't tried to promote it.

We all have "that friend" that just doesn't need to be reloading. I guess another thing is that all of my close friends already reload. One of my Sons reloads and the other never has any interest. I guess it helps that Dad keeps him in ammo! :grin:

kerplode
04-13-2023, 12:23 PM
Reloading isn't for everyone, and frankly, lots of people don't have any business doing it.

It's a distinct hobby from shooting that requires significant investment of space, time, capital, and attention. Many shooters don't want to deal with that...They just want to buy a cheap box of 9 and blast it into the dirt.

I think it's pretty clear at this point they're not interested in taking it up. Accept that and leave them alone. How'd you feel if someone was pestering the hell out of you all the time to take up golf or some other such hobby you had no interest in?

elmacgyver0
04-13-2023, 12:59 PM
The only thing I really disliked about reloading was the messy lubes and handling the cartridges when loading magazines later.
Did not like the lube and lead on my fingers.
With powder coating that all went away.

35 Rem
04-13-2023, 03:06 PM
There are some folks who do not read or know much at all about firearms, much less reloading or casting. My cousin had a gun shop/pawn shop. He was talking with one of his older customers. The feller said he liked to shoot his 44 Magnum revolver, but it was just too stout for him. He said he bought special reduced power 44 Magnum reloads from a feller who would custom reload them for him, and they were kind of expensive. My cousin asked him why he didn't shoot 44 Specials in his 44 Magunm revolver? The feller had never heard of such. My cousin explained about 44 Specials and how they would certainly shoot just fine in his revolver. Finally the light bulb went on, and the feller bought some boxes of factory 44 Specials from him. This was before factory ammo prices went crazy.
This is one of those prime examples of how reloading adds so much flexibility. For a magnum revlover shooter to be paying extra for reduced loads sounds so strange to those of us who load our own and especially if we cast our own bullets. Those are the very loads we shoot for practically nothing. I benefit from that in a big way with my 460 Weatherby rifle. Sure it was fun to bust up firewood, blocks of concrete, stacks of rough lumber, etc. when I 1st got it using full power loads with the Hornady 500 grain steel jacketed bullets BUT eventually you tire of that and want something a bit more tame to shoot. Being able to load I can use all the 300 - 350 grain bullets and make it a lot more versatile and easy on the shoulder.

But as has been said already, if somebody only has few guns I common chamberings and mainly wants to blast they don't stand to gain much if anything by loading their own.

WRideout
04-13-2023, 07:23 PM
Part of my desire to learn reloading was my own life philosophy of being as self-reliant as possible. This was years ago before Covid and since then it has only cemented the philosophy of self-reliance. It's not even anything major. Simple things like changing my own oil, reloading, casting, cooking, lawn care, home repair, computers etc...

Since adopting that philosophy I have learned to do a great deal of things. I've learned what's beyond my capabilities (usually physically at this point). Saved a boat load of money. The sense of accomplishment from having no knowledge about a subject to being able to make it work yourself gives plenty of confidence to try and tackle the next challenge.

One of the main takeaways from this way of life is that I 100% should have went to a trade or vocational school. Most of what you pay out the nose for as far as routine maintenance and basic repairs are incredibly easy once you put the effort in to learn and try.

My latest huge savings was fixing a cracked and leaking pipe in my crawlspace. I have a bad back and being 6'4" is not a good start for crawlspace work, but the $15 dollars in parts and the 90 minutes of time (most of which was trying to crawl in the small space) was a good result. I never got any estimates, but I figured it would probably be at least $200-300 for a plumber to come do it for me.

I also call reloading and the like, Practicing the Manly Arts. So if all else fails, mock them for being soft. It doesn't work for everyone, but a well deserved mocking will motivate me to do things I would have never thought I could do. :razz:

You know you are in trouble when the plumber shows up at your house in a Mercedes, and he asks You for references.

Wayne

WRideout
04-13-2023, 07:25 PM
I don't know why it is, but people I have met who don't yet reload all seem to believe that they should buy a Dillon progressive to start with.

Wayne

Recycled bullet
04-13-2023, 08:48 PM
Some of "The people" I know who don't reload have an entitled attitude that I should reload ammo for them for free. Strangely I have found asking them to read a reloading manual when they attempt to mooch free ammo from me repels that freeloading attitude. There is a constructive ignorance at play and the solution is simply...

I'll write a book and charge for it.

Then they might actually read it.

Soundguy
04-13-2023, 09:08 PM
Reloading isn't for everyone, and frankly, lots of people don't have any business doing it.

It's a distinct hobby from shooting that requires significant investment of space, time, capital, and attention. Many shooters don't want to deal with that...They just want to buy a cheap box of 9 and blast it into the dirt.

I think it's pretty clear at this point they're not interested in taking it up. Accept that and leave them alone. How'd you feel if someone was pestering the hell out of you all the time to take up golf or some other such hobby you had no interest in?

Yup.. as much as reloading is a distinct hobby from shooting so is casting from reloading

Willie T
04-13-2023, 11:11 PM
Ive never actively tried to get others to reload. If someone asks for my help, I gladly help. I did teach my son when he was in JR high. That little rascal loved to shoot. He wanted to shoot up everything I loaded. No matter how big the pile was. I told him now that he is responsible enough, I would show him how. Then he needed to start loading it back up if he was gonna shoot it all. I supplied the components. He went through a bunch of them. He also learned a few lessons about doing things right along the way when he had to break loaded ammo down. We had a ball. He is grown man now. He still loads and prefers shooting his own center fire hand loads and shot shells. I have had several friends and acquaintances ask me to load for them and tell me they just don’t have the time. I politely decline. I tell them I don’t have the time to load their ammo either. My take is grown men who possess the desire to load their own also generally have some mechanical aptitude. They just get the tools and components they need and a manual or two and get after it without waiting for a bell cow to follow. If they need their hand held, or it isn’t worth investing the time, loading and casting probably isn’t gonna be their gig.
Willie

trapper9260
04-14-2023, 04:57 AM
I don't know why it is, but people I have met who don't yet reload all seem to believe that they should buy a Dillon progressive to start with.

Wayne

I hear that also and they think they can push out ammo like a factory and dose not look for accuracy. I see to many that dose that or they just look for speed.

truckjohn
04-14-2023, 08:54 AM
Reloading is a different hobby than shooting. It takes its own skills, time, effort, and cost. Many people just don't have the interest or inclination to research loads, make test loads, and then sit at a bench for hours assembling ammo.

Look at model airplanes... Building airplanes is not the same thing as flying them. Now that you can fly without building, far fewer kits are bought. Often the people building them are so horrified at the prospect of plowing one into the ground at 50mph that they don't fly them.

Look at racing... There are builders and there are drivers. Very different skills.

Look at fishing... There are fishers, and there are people who build boats.

So for the shooter who doesn't reload... That'a fine. He has chosen his hobby - shooting. I would expend the energy on somebody who wants to learn reloading rather than trying to convert those who only want to shoot.

Froogal
04-14-2023, 08:55 AM
Don't have time?? Just 2 hours or so instead of watching some goofy show on TV is all you need.

Thumbcocker
04-14-2023, 09:02 AM
I actually started with a Dillon 550 in 1986. The press was purchased with part of a settlement from an auto accident I was in. I started casting the same year.

No one to teach me so I read a lot and proceeded carefully. I have never had a problem loading for any cartridge with it. I don't go for just speed. When doing load development I am pretty slow but when cranking out a known load I go faster. I have never even gotten close to 550 rounds per hour.

Froogal
04-14-2023, 11:04 AM
Reloading should never be interpreted as a show of strength, nor as a race to see just how many rounds you can crank out in one hour.

I use a LEE single stage. If I get 100 rounds per session I am happy. Sometimes 50 rounds is about my limit before my shoulders start complaining.

HEY, 50 rounds is enough. Tomorrow is another day.

wwmartin
04-14-2023, 07:14 PM
I looked at 9mm components today at midway and came up with around 44 cents to load a round + the powder of your choice and time. That was new brass and jacketed bullet +primers.
They have WW white box on sale at $299 a 1000.
With your brass and a home cast bullet reloading is still economically viable but not by much.
Most of the other cartridges I load for the spread between factory and reload is more noticeable and easily justify the time and save components for them. 9mm??

Bill

45_Colt
04-14-2023, 07:37 PM
Yes, I too have noticed that 9mm round prices have dropped considerably. Don't shoot it, but do and have been keeping and eye on prices of various ammo. Being that 9mm is a very popular round, and used by NATO, I can see why the price is low.

But needing to put out $2+ a round for decent 308 or 30-06 hunting ammo, ouch. Even decent 223 is between 75-cents and $1.25 a round.

45_Colt

P.S. shouldn't include the cost of brass as that get reused when reloaded.

Soundguy
04-14-2023, 11:40 PM
I looked at 9mm components today at midway and came up with around 44 cents to load a round + the powder of your choice and time. That was new brass and jacketed bullet +primers.
They have WW white box on sale at $299 a 1000.
With your brass and a home cast bullet reloading is still economically viable but not by much.
Most of the other cartridges I load for the spread between factory and reload is more noticeable and easily justify the time and save components for them. 9mm??

Bill

Bass pro had plain Jane 9mm fmj plinkers for 26.99/100 today.

I can still reload cheaper with cast bullets..but the margin gets thinner. About 15$ per 100 using my brass.

Outer Rondacker
04-15-2023, 09:26 AM
I often try to save my primers for rounds that cost much more to buy. Like my main gun is a 45 GAP. Being out of work and on a very hard budget I am forced to make sure I get every piece of brass I have since finding more is not easy or affordable. So if I was in the market I would consider buying 9mm and saving primers for other cals.

I was speaking to a friend the other day and I mentioned how we are having this conversation online about people not wanting to get into reloading or even shooting but they own many guns. He gave me a different prospective on the mater. He loves guns and likes owning them and sometimes shooting them. He is more into the ownership than the firing of such weapons. He stated reloading for him would be a waste of an investment as he shoots around 50 rounds a year if not less. I can understand that. I guess it makes me realize that not everyone who owns firearms is a shooter.

JoeJames
04-15-2023, 10:10 AM
I often try to save my primers for rounds that cost much more to buy. Like my main gun is a 45 GAP. Being out of work and on a very hard budget I am forced to make sure I get every piece of brass I have since finding more is not easy or affordable. So if I was in the market I would consider buying 9mm and saving primers for other cals.

I was speaking to a friend the other day and I mentioned how we are having this conversation online about people not wanting to get into reloading or even shooting but they own many guns. He gave me a different prospective on the mater. He loves guns and likes owning them and sometimes shooting them. He is more into the ownership than the firing of such weapons. He stated reloading for him would be a waste of an investment as he shoots around 50 rounds a year if not less. I can understand that. I guess it makes me realize that not everyone who owns firearms is a shooter.That is true. There are a lot of dedicated deer hunters I know who probably do not shoot more that 6 or 7 rounds a year; if that much.

WRideout
04-17-2023, 01:53 PM
In PA some deer hunters have carried the same box of ammo to deer camp "up north" for twenty years. About the only game they ever bag is a "Wild Turkey."

Wayne

Alferd Packer
04-18-2023, 04:44 AM
This is why the create channel is watched.
They are lazy and would be useless dead weight in a survival situation.
Wouldn't lift a finger to save themselves.
Sad but sad,truly.

dverna
04-18-2023, 12:19 PM
Yup.. as much as reloading is a distinct hobby from shooting so is casting from reloading

I agree with that. I doubt I will ever stop reloading but I hope to stop casting someday. I dislike everything about casting...except the money it saves.

The "problem" I have is that I got acquired my casting equipment when I was shooting a lot. I have about $2500 in pots, molds, and sizers.

A typical reloader who shoots 2-3k rounds a year can buy a years worth of cast pistol bullets for $300. Sure, he can cast 3k bullets for $100 but that is not enough of a saving for most people to get into casting.

Here is the cost of 124 gr HI-Tek coated bullets for 9mm:
https://hoosierbullets.com/new-profile-9mm-124-grain-rn-hi-tek-coated-no-groove/
$276 delivered for 3650 bullets. Less than $76/k. Cost of lead at $1.25/lb puts home cast bullets at $22. With a four cavity mold it will take 4-5 hours to cast, lube and size 1000 bullets to save $54. I won't do it.

My main CF plinking/fun guns are 9mm. Using current cost of $100/k for primers, $50/lb of powder and $76/k for the Hi-Tek bullets above, I come out to $205/k for reloaded 9mm. I can purchase FMJ 9mm ammunition for $255 delivered. If I had not "hoarded" components, and did not reload on a 1050, I might not reload 9mm. Think about a new reloader with a SS press making 100 rounds an hour. It will take 10 hours to save $50.

skrapyard628
04-18-2023, 12:43 PM
https://hoosierbullets.com/new-profile-9mm-124-grain-rn-hi-tek-coated-no-groove/
$276 delivered for 3650 bullets. Less than $76/k. Cost of lead at $1.25/lb puts home cast bullets at $22. With a four cavity mold it will take 4-5 hours to cast, lube and size 1000 bullets to save $54. I won't do it.

This is why I only cast for a few rifles and shotgun slugs. My time is worth more money than what I would save by casting for most pistol cartridges. The cost of the bullets and slugs for the larger bore rifles and shotguns can be close to or over $1 each so casting saves quite a bit of money and allows me to create a load that shoots well and is accurate.

Common pistol cartridges? Nope. Not going to cast, size and powdercoat thousands of rounds for them. My time is worth much more than ~$10/hr. Add in the time it also takes to reload those cartridges and I will stick with just buying bullets for those.

I understand some folks just really enjoy time at the lead pot. And thats awesome for them. Ive got other hobbies and work to do that I enjoy just as much as they enjoy casting. So I trade my time off to those other hobbies by buying bullets for certain things.

Soundguy
04-18-2023, 02:19 PM
I agree with that. I doubt I will ever stop reloading but I hope to stop casting someday. I dislike everything about casting...except the money it saves.

The "problem" I have is that I got acquired my casting equipment when I was shooting a lot. I have about $2500 in pots, molds, and sizers.

A typical reloader who shoots 2-3k rounds a year can buy a years worth of cast pistol bullets for $300. Sure, he can cast 3k bullets for $100 but that is not enough of a saving for most people to get into casting.

My main CF plinking/fun guns are 9mm. Using current cost of $100/k for primers, $50/lb of powder and $76/k for the Hi-Tek bullets above, I come out to $205/k for reloaded 9mm. I can purchase FMJ 9mm ammunition for $255 delivered. If I had not "hoarded" components, and did not reload on a 1050, I might not reload 9mm. Think about a new reloader with a SS press making 100 rounds an hour. It will take 10 hours to save $50.

Agreed.. Money invested in gear is a determining factor for many in the casting or reloading game.

I remember getting into safari calibers.. .458 win mag and .458 lott, etc. To shoot those guns I had to reload.. Otherwise I was paying 5-6$ a trigger pull. Reloading dropped it by 80%.. And casting another 10%.

Shooting a lot..and or shooting expensive to purchase calibers is one reason I got in. Some rifle cartridges only do one run a year. If I didn't reload 35 rem.. Me and a buddy would likely not be able to shoot it due to cost and availability. Many rifle ammo types are still hovering at around a buck a round or more.

Good Cheer
04-18-2023, 03:58 PM
Started out casting for economy. Then it became a hobby. Then an art form.
Half a century later it's just an understood way of getting things done with confidence.

Wolftracker
04-18-2023, 04:22 PM
I've been reloading for 41 years now. I also cast or swage my own bullets. I did get a brother to get into it enough to make his own hunting loads for himself and his sons and one friend invested enough to get started but he doesn't do it much. One advantage of not alot of people you know who reload is that free range brass. It's rare that I ever buy brass which leaves money for primers and powder when I can find them. I just love that once fired 300 Win Mag brass occasionally found when hunting season approaches and there are lots of others one can find any time as well!

samari46
04-18-2023, 11:23 PM
Had a friend complain about the high costs of ammo. Start casting your own bullets I told him. Told me they would mess up his barrels. Laughingly told him been casting my own for over 30 years. Initial costs with a custom mold would be about $300. And then I get the cost is too high. I give up. Frank

LenH
04-19-2023, 07:58 AM
I have never tried to get anyone into reloading. I have helped 2 or 3 guys get started and helped them along but that is as far as I go.
Most of the people I know in the shooting world reload their own, most are Bullseye shooters. Some of those guys look at you like you have an eye
in the middle of your forehead when they ask, 'Where did you get those bullets?' and when you tell them that I cast them myself the see to get
cross-eyed and stare off into space.

charlie b
04-19-2023, 08:32 AM
I have never tried to get anyone into reloading. I have helped 2 or 3 guys get started and helped them along but that is as far as I go.
Most of the people I know in the shooting world reload their own, most are Bullseye shooters. Some of those guys look at you like you have an eye
in the middle of your forehead when they ask, 'Where did you get those bullets?' and when you tell them that I cast them myself the see to get
cross-eyed and stare off into space.Yep. Except when I shoot my cast bullets better than they shoot their jacketed bullets :)

Sent from my SM-P613 using Tapatalk

dverna
04-19-2023, 10:53 AM
Yep. Except when I shoot my cast bullets better than they shoot their jacketed bullets :)

My experience is different.

When I was shooting Bullseye, we tested bullets at 50 yards with a Ransom Rest. We never found a cast bullet that would shoot better than the Remington 148 gr HBWC. We put hundreds of rounds on paper and there was no question about it. My buddy shot a Clark and I had M52 with sleeved 1-10 Douglas barrel.

In rifle shooting, jacketed bullets are superior in almost every way.

I do not drink the cast bullet Kool-Aid. In part it is my lack of ability to make cast bullets work as well as guys like you or Gibson et al. But that is the reality for the vast majority of people who cast bullets. There are exceptions, but most cast bullet groups posted on this forum are either pretty sad or "wallet" groups that cannot be achieved consistently.

Most people casting bullets make an inferior bullet to a commercial bullet. They do not do enough testing to know, ignore reality, or they don't care. I shoot cast in pistols or pistol carbines to save money. Achieving best accuracy, or superior ballistic performance for non-critical loads is not worth the expense of jacketed/swaged bullets for the majority of shooting I do. Cast is good enough.

When accuracy and ballistic performance matter, I will not shoot cast in the .223's or .308's unless I cannot get jacketed bullets. I load jacketed defense bullets in the 9mm's .357's if "serious work" may be required.

Soundguy
04-19-2023, 11:15 AM
I have had pretty good luck with cast bullets in rifle. .. but then I shoot rifle that tends to do ok with lead.. like 45-70 and 35 rem. Both of those work up great with rifle. so does 30-30. None of those work up blindingly fast.

For faster rifle like 8mm mauser or 30-06 I do harder and gas checked.. and only make about 2/3 max speed.. so terminal ballistics do suffer.. but for 100 yrd shooting which is about all I do.. it will do anything a jacketed bullet will do as far as taking game.

35 Rem
04-19-2023, 05:05 PM
My experience is different.

When I was shooting Bullseye, we tested bullets at 50 yards with a Ransom Rest. We never found a cast bullet that would shoot better than the Remington 148 gr HBWC. We put hundreds of rounds on paper and there was no question about it. My buddy shot a Clark and I had M52 with sleeved 1-10 Douglas barrel.

In rifle shooting, jacketed bullets are superior in almost every way.

I do not drink the cast bullet Kool-Aid. In part it is my lack of ability to make cast bullets work as well as guys like you or Gibson et al. But that is the reality for the vast majority of people who cast bullets. There are exceptions, but most cast bullet groups posted on this forum are either pretty sad or "wallet" groups that cannot be achieved consistently.

Most people casting bullets make an inferior bullet to a commercial bullet. They do not do enough testing to know, ignore reality, or they don't care. I shoot cast in pistols or pistol carbines to save money. Achieving best accuracy, or superior ballistic performance for non-critical loads is not worth the expense of jacketed/swaged bullets for the majority of shooting I do. Cast is good enough.

When accuracy and ballistic performance matter, I will not shoot cast in the .223's or .308's unless I cannot get jacketed bullets. I load jacketed defense bullets in the 9mm's .357's if "serious work" may be required.

I agree with you to a degree. I got into shooting mainly because of a love of varmint hunting and that of course means I have a bunch of 22 centerfire rifles. I don't have the slightest motivation to shoot cast in say a 22-250 0r 220 Swift. Even the 22 Hornet doesn't appeal much because you end up getting 22 Magnum ballistics out of any 22 centerfire because of velocity limits with lead. It's way too easy to just go buy a box of 22 Mags. When I shoot my Hornet or 218 Bee I want flat out full power so it's going to be jacketed there or nothing. Needless to say my 17 Remington would be foolish to even think about cast bullet use. I have to come to the same opinion for the 25-06, 257 Weatherby and even 270 Winchester. Why should I limit those to 2,100 ft/sec? Now when I get to 8x57 I can sort of see cast with it but still not all that excited to work up a load that loses 1/3 of the velocity potential of the cartridge.

But when I look at some of my other rifles such as the 30-30, 7.62x39, 32 Special, 32-20 and 35 Remington all of a sudden cast bullet give up nothing compared to jacketed. These cartridges operate withing the velocity threshold of cast bullets even when loaded to full power, so a cast load shoots just as flat and hits just as hard. (I know the Hornady gummy tips are one possible exception for down range velocity.) I think that you may honestly get better performance with cast - for hunting purposes - if you chose a bullet with a larger meplate than available jacketed bullets. One thing is for certain and that is the cost savings. You can afford enough to practice with your rifle and become a better shot. Also as long as you have lead you never have to worry about finding another 100 of your favorite jacketed bullets.

Soundguy
04-19-2023, 06:17 PM
My 35 rem I've worked up for my buddy and my 336's are as accurate as anything jacketed factory..and have less deviation per batch than factory . ammo. I tend to be a bit biased..but I've always liked heavy cast bullets that deform and retain 100% weight vs jacketed that she'd most of the time when they hit. Many many dead deer and hog in the Southeast us can attest to this.

charlie b
04-19-2023, 07:07 PM
Slight misunderstanding. When I said out shoot I meant the 'normal' folks at the shooting range. The folks who go out and shoot half a box of ammo so they can keep the second half for hunting season. Put up a paper plate and are happy to hit it somewhere in the middle. Those are the folks who are astonished that a cast bullet load does so much better than they do.

My cast are not as accurate as jacketed given the same rifle and me.

For the record, I do not compete. And, I am not a great pistol shot.

Soundguy
04-19-2023, 07:41 PM
At 100 yards..factory fmj 'pattern' compared to my cast loads that chew out the center of the target. Actually..shooting cast saves me money on targets. All I have to do is put a piece of tape in the center.

Stopsign32v
04-19-2023, 07:54 PM
At 100 yards..factory fmj 'pattern' compared to my cast loads that chew out the center of the target. Actually..shooting cast saves me money on targets. All I have to do is put a piece of tape in the center.

Bragger

My shooting results in people telling me nice grouping for buckshot. :???:

dverna
04-19-2023, 09:17 PM

You are comparing apples to oranges.

I do not hunt with FMJ. I use a .308 with good hunting bullets and I doubt there are 10 people on this forum that can shoot 5 five shot groups with cast bullets that will beat my jacketed bullet groups at 2400+ fps. And that is reality. I doubt even three could do better at 300 yards.

There is a good and obvious reason no one shoots cast bullets in competition High Power.

If you are happy with fat slow bullets at short range, that is not a place I play in. And for what you do it works so it is good enough. But do not ever believe cast bullets are better.

Look, our needs are totally different. I need a bullet that works at ranges from 50 to over 300 yards. If I wanted to hunt at less than 150 yards I would use a .30/30. It is silly to take a .308 and load it to less than .30/30 performance to save $.35 on a bullet.

HWooldridge
04-19-2023, 09:39 PM
A lot of people are nostalgic, which is one reason why there is such an interest in black powder and muzzle loading. Our ancestors were more pragmatic, which is why old photographs show a steady progression of firearms as they developed. Take a look at period pictures of Texas Rangers and they always upgraded when an improvement came along. ‘73 Winchesters became ‘92’s, then ‘94’s, then ‘95’s. Now they carry AR’s for serious work.

I have always cast bullets due to my desire to be self-sufficient and the cheaper cost considerations, but I agree jacketed bullets typically perform better. If that were not the case, the major manufacturers would offer a wider variety.

Soundguy
04-20-2023, 07:45 AM
I don't hunt with fmj either. My phone keeps auto correcting jacket ed to fmj and I'm tired of re correcting it. ( every instance of fmj or jacketed has to be re typed ).

Jacket ed soft point is what I hinted with when using jacket ed.

I don't do any long range hunting..so im not getting any benefit of jacket ed over cast at 100 yards.

Obviously you can load copper past lead..but if you aren't shooting past lead...why?

Soundguy
04-20-2023, 07:48 AM
Ps.. You should be able to load 308 lead to 30-30 lead specs straight up..no need to go lower.

dverna
04-20-2023, 10:46 AM
Ps.. You should be able to load 308 lead to 30-30 lead specs straight up..no need to go lower.

You are missing the point. Why would I want to turn a .308 hunting rifle into a .30/30? What does a lead bullet do better than the 150 gr Hornady Interlocks or 165 gr Sierra GameKings I have a lifetime supply of? Maybe a cast bullet with a huge meplat does a better job 90% of the time, but it is not a 300 yard bullet.

It costs me about $300-400 a year to hunt deer. In addition, I put in 5-7 days of work at deer camp putting in food plots, blinds, trimming trees etc. Saving $.35 each on the handful of bullets I use a year is moot.

Think about that. It is why people do not reload. Factory ammunition at $1.50-3.00/shot is a miniscule cost for most hunters. There are six of us at deer camp. I am the only one who reloads. Two of the guys do a lot of hunting and travel out of state or to Canada every year to hunt game from deer to moose. Neither of them use more than a box or two of ammunition a year.

Soundguy
04-20-2023, 11:30 AM
Simply can't get any 300yrd shots here in Florida. Most of my hunting spots are 50-75yrd lane. On rare occasion on shooting in power line right of way you can get a slightly longer shot.
And yes.. The wide meplat does great on game. I would much prefer hunting hog with big fat wide meplat bullets. Pointy bullets go right thru sometimes and don't do enough damage..

I do plenty on non hunting shooting too.. Casting and reloading makes a huge difference. 458 win mag and Lott cost 5-6$ a round to buy.

rbuck351
04-20-2023, 12:20 PM
I have never used cast for big game hunting. With 32 years hunting in AK. I decided that cast didn't give the performance that I wanted for caribou, moose and possibly a large brown bear up to 350 yds or so. A couple of 50 cent bullets for checking sights and one or two for a moose is the cheapest part of the hunt.

Caribou and moose are not easy to sneek up on when your hunting on open tundra so a rifle that will hit hard at a longer distance without a rainbow trajectory is very helpful. Jacketed bullets and higher velocities make the hunt easier but I hand load those as ammo for my 300 H&H is not available just anywhere.

For small game hunting, I use either a 22lr cast boolits in 25/20 or 22H/KH.

I could afford to shoot jacketed for every thing I shoot but I enjoy casting and reloading as much as shooting.

Soundguy
04-20-2023, 01:28 PM
Makes you wonder how people managed to take game back when you poured gunpowder down the barrel and pushed a lead ball in...or early cartridge guns.. Single shots..45-70 etc. They all must have went hungry and been terrible hunters and just went to publix?? Oh wait... Lead was just fine for them. It's not that animals have developed an immunity to lead... Hunters skills have changed....

Winger Ed.
04-20-2023, 01:39 PM
. They all must have went hungry and been terrible hunters .

That's how vegetarians came to be.
Their desendents are still with us.

Smoke4320
04-20-2023, 01:51 PM
I can tell you how many people ( got be at least 50+) I have offered to teach reloading .. Exactly 3 have taken me up on it
All I have asked is you purchase the equipment, with some guidance from me, and I will help you set it up and teach you to reload on YOUR equipment

Good Cheer
04-20-2023, 09:05 PM
I'd rathered to have designed my own hunting cartridge and rifle to use cast, to have shot MOA and dropped game at hundreds of yards. So I did. But that was a long time ago and even here the arts are lost.

Stopsign32v
04-20-2023, 09:19 PM
The friend I can't get into reloading asked me if I powder coated my lead bullets to prevent rust.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IckyBossyHarvestmen-max-1mb.gif

Dusty Bannister
04-20-2023, 09:28 PM
Don't be too hard on your friend. PC will prevent oxidation, and most non-bullet casters may not know the difference.

Kestrel4k
04-20-2023, 09:48 PM
Don't be too hard on your friend. PC will prevent oxidation, and most non-bullet casters may not know the difference.
Maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(fungus) ?

Winger Ed.
04-21-2023, 12:05 AM
The friend I can't get into reloading asked me if I powder coated my lead bullets to prevent rust.

One time out at our poison ivy farm and tick ranch, I was picking up a bunch of .45ACP brass in the grass.
My Dad suggested I just get a brass magnet so I wouldn't have to be constantly bending over.

charlie b
04-21-2023, 05:48 AM
Makes you wonder how people managed to take game back when you poured gunpowder down the barrel and pushed a lead ball in...or early cartridge guns.. Single shots..45-70 etc. They all must have went hungry and been terrible hunters and just went to publix?? Oh wait... Lead was just fine for them. It's not that animals have developed an immunity to lead... Hunters skills have changed....They all stayed in the cities. And, yes, went to the butcher shop. :)