PDA

View Full Version : Charter Arms Pug?

leadhead
04-08-2023, 09:22 AM
Anybody know the difference between the Bulldog and Pug models?
I bought a Pug in .44 special and have always have heard about
the Bulldog, but never heard of the Pug. What's the difference?
Thanks for any info.

racepres
04-08-2023, 10:04 AM
I thought Shorter Barrel, Pachmayr type grips, maybe Rounded Corners, and Dehorned Hammer... But..I dont honestly recall...

rintinglen
04-08-2023, 10:14 AM
What Racepres says encompasses my understanding. The Bulldog originally was a blue, pencil barrel, 3", 44 spl. The pug has a shorter, under-lugged barrel, and is about the same size as a Ruger Sp101, though a bit lighter. Nowadays, The Pug is usually a 357 while the Bulldog comes in a variety of finishes and configurations and is a 44. I believe that the Bulldog frame has been used for other calibers, 45 ACP, 41 mag etc.

racepres
04-08-2023, 10:42 AM
^^ Yes yes... The Original is what I have, and Love..
One day...if (big word) if I get a new Handgun, it would be a Tracker... Unless I came accross a Ruger Six series that was converted to 44Spl!!! A dream come true!!!

Good Cheer
04-10-2023, 10:06 AM
A rose by any other name, the .41 is a mag pug.:confused:

pettypace
04-12-2023, 09:14 PM
I believe the .45 ACP, the .45 Colt, and the .41 Magnum are all on a beefier "XL" frame.

Good Cheer
04-20-2023, 09:19 AM
The larger bore Pugs remind me of some of those handy self-defense revolvers from the end of the 19th Century.

pettypace
04-21-2023, 08:50 AM
The larger bore Pugs remind me of some of those handy self-defense revolvers from the end of the 19th Century.

http://rewebster.org/pics/MP_BD.jpg

georgerkahn
04-21-2023, 09:10 AM
Anybody know the difference between the Bulldog and Pug models?
I bought a Pug in .44 special and have always have heard about
the Bulldog, but never heard of the Pug. What's the difference?
Thanks for any info.

The NRA has an article which you may enjoy reading: https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/review-charter-arms-41-mag-pug/

They indicate, "But a couple of years ago, Charter Arms took its famous 5-shot .44 Special Bulldog and enlarged the frame and cylinder just enough to accommodate the increased pressure levels produced by .41 Rem. Mag. revolver cartridges. Stuffing this potent round into a snub gun isn't a wholly original idea. Taurus USA briefly offered the Model 415, a 2.5" barrel 5-shot available in steel and titanium frames. That model has been out of production for several year so, as far as I know, the Charter Arms offering is the only .41-cal. concealed-carry revolver currently in production.

Dubbed the .41 Mag Pug, this stainless-steel revolver sports a 2.5" barrel and a 1.60" diameter cylinder. That makes the Mag Pug 1.05" longer and 0.25" wider than the .357 Mag. version of the SP101. However, the Mag Pug weighs 3-oz. less while launching larger bullets at similar magnum-level velocities."

It is, indeed, a bit confusing (at least to me) as Charter Arms ran ads for its Pug in .357 Mag -- and then, announced the .41 Mag version -- I think (???) technically they refer to it as the "41 May Pug" as opposed to the earlier, simply monikered "Pug" (in .357 Magnum).

Hope this helps...
geo