PDA

View Full Version : Zinc sheets I have accquired

Charlie Horse
04-08-2023, 08:25 AM
I got ahold of some zinc sheets. They are about 2' x 2' square and about .025" thick. Those are approximations.

What would these be good for?

I grabbed them, thinking they were tin. But they are not. They are zinc. They are old. What can I do with them? I've got about 20.

William Yanda
04-08-2023, 08:58 AM
probably make great donors for galvanizing some Fe items.

georgerkahn
04-08-2023, 09:09 AM
I got ahold of some zinc sheets. They are about 2' x 2' square and about .025" thick. Those are approximations.

What would these be good for?

I grabbed them, thinking they were tin. But they are not. They are zinc. They are old. What can I do with them? I've got about 20.

If they were mine, they would be nailed, adjacent to each other with a small -- 2-3 cm -- overlap around the perimeter of any wooden-based buildings at camp. The expletive-porcupines LOVE eating wood, and these zinc sheets might be the trick to arrest them? (I now have some aluminum flashing, but the porky's are able to gnaw right through it! Also, as another possible use, zinc as you have would be great for flashing about roof-through chimneys...
geo

sparky45
04-08-2023, 09:18 AM
Arts and Crafts plates for decorative punched art.

Charlie Horse
04-08-2023, 11:25 AM
I thought about melting them for fishing weights.
I have a mold.
But I also have beaucoup fishing weights.

MaryB
04-08-2023, 12:04 PM
Sell them to the cannon guys to make cannonballs!

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-08-2023, 02:40 PM
cut into strips and mount them on the peak of shingled roofs, specifically the north side, it inhibits moss/mold growth.

Winger Ed.
04-11-2023, 01:57 PM
cut into strips and mount them on the peak of shingled roofs, specifically the north side, it inhibits moss/mold growth.

Yeah, it'll sure work for that. Until it was banned under the water pollution laws, Zinc was in the bottom paint for boats.
It stopped the algae attachment/growth on the hull below the water line.

Scorpion8
04-11-2023, 02:59 PM
Zinc strips at the top peak of a roof to stop moss buildup in climates such as mine.

GregLaROCHE
04-11-2023, 03:20 PM
You could use them for fishing weights, but don’t mix them with boolit alloy. Some people are starting to cast pure zinc boolits. Check YouTube if you want to know more about it.

Charlie Horse
04-12-2023, 07:25 PM
You could use them for fishing weights, but don’t mix them with boolit alloy. Some people are starting to cast pure zinc boolits. Check YouTube if you want to know more about it.

I assume this should be done in a separate pot that I use for lead?
This is actually a pretty good idea. In an earlier post I mentioned my overabundance of fishing weights.
But I could melt the fishing weights into boolits and make the zinc into fishing weights.
Yea. Sounds like a plan.