PDA

View Full Version : Schofield - Uberti 7” 44-40 Hammer Block Removal

RadarsRUs
04-07-2023, 08:57 PM
Just want to throw in my 2 cents on whether is worth it or not to Remove the Modern-Alteration Hammer Block safety that comes inside the action of the present day Schofield repro’s by Uberti and all others. (Uberti makes them All for rebranding)

The little Hamer Block in question rides up in action to prevent any fwd Hammer movement when the revolver is taken to 1/2 cock for breaking-open, unloading, reloading. It is kind of like a transfer bar effect, but actually a mechanical block in the works.

This is Not part of the original design in the lock-works and the “Safety & 1/2 Cock position” always had the captive step for the sear in back of hammer like all designs did back then. That safety Notch in back of hammer As Original is stronger that I was willing to Squeeze that trigger and was quite a bit.

For a Range Gun, absolutely adequate & don’t Drop your firearms on the ground.

I bring up because some have mentioned that Removing the little steel block and its spring pin Improves the quality / smoothness of the Single Action hammer draw-back when manipulating to fire gun.

I can report this is absolutely TRUE. The guns internals / action Do feel Much Nicer and Smoother with the Modern safety hammer-block Removed. There is also no “strange pre-click” just before reaching 1/2.

I wrapped part and plunger in tape, wrote description on it and Stored it inside the grip-frame between the 2 wood halves of the stock. Will never get lost.

If I ever Sell (strongly doubt it, this things is just beautiful and shoot well in 44-40 as I have) That Block will always be there to quickly pop back in.

Everybody stay well, SD