PDA

View Full Version : What size is shot "dust" and where can I get it

Tomkat
04-07-2023, 01:06 PM
What size is shot "dust" and where can I get it?

I already sprung for a BPI 11 pound bag of #12 shot; I really like the results in 38 and 357 cases. I wanted to try dust for amusement factors.

Seems like there is little to no information on the interwebs regarding this.

Great board here...

Chris

Bruntson
04-07-2023, 01:26 PM
Before lead shot was banned in many public areas, Lead dust could be bought. It was generally considered to be .048" or less. It is dangerous to inhale and for the environment. It will also coat your clothing, meaning you will bring it into your home. Kids have been found to have high levels of lead in them because, dad brought it home from working at a gun range. I do not think Lead dust is available in the US anymore nor would I recommend you firing it out of any firearms. As for other types of dust, with such a small market for it, I doubt you can find it either.

racepres
04-07-2023, 01:37 PM
Believe me... Uncooked Rice... muy effective...

BTW the old "dust" that I had, was Not really Dust at all... very fine shot.. looks alot like Ball Powder...

HWooldridge
04-07-2023, 01:40 PM
#12 is about as small as you can reasonably go, unless you want to shoot salt.

12 works on snakes and rats up close, but #9 has a lot further reach and no less lethality.

racepres
04-07-2023, 01:45 PM
#12 is about as small as you can reasonably go, unless you want to shoot salt.

12 works on snakes and rats up close, but #9 has a lot further reach and no less lethality.
I don't shoot snakes here... But, If I lived in FL, I would use my usual Rat medicine.. 44 spl, Speer Capsules, no7-1/2 shot.. or the 410 Contender.. No Wiggle Room.
The rice goes in 38spl with card wads, for Sparrows in my Barn

Tomkat
04-07-2023, 07:32 PM
Thank you all for the replies. Given the lack of online information, I thought it was no longer available.

I seem to remember something about #14 shot, but that was many years ago and maybe I misremember. I'll give bird seeds or rice a try. #12 shot is really nice stuff, and a little bit goes a long way.

Chris

elmacgyver0
04-07-2023, 10:00 PM
The stuff inside those little folded crimp .22 bird shots shells is pretty small, don't know the size though.
I remember melting some lead as a kid and kind of shaking it as it cooled, and it turned into a kind of powder but not quite.

Tomkat
04-07-2023, 11:48 PM
The .22 long rifle shot shells are loaded with #12 shot. I've not seen them loaded with any other size than that.

GregLaROCHE
04-08-2023, 05:30 AM
I’m not overly worried about lead, but I would stay away from lead dust. I did have a bad experience when sweeping up an indoor range, while collecting the lead.

cwlongshot
04-08-2023, 07:56 AM
I have herd the term a number of times. I always assumed #12. Thats what I use and its fine. Many moons ago When Sportsmans Warehouse first started mail Order catalogue's I nought a bottle. Its still going!

CW

pete501
04-08-2023, 11:46 AM
Here is a picture of what my lead "dust" looks like. Dipping the micrometer into the pile and screwing down I come up with 0.040"

G W Wade
04-08-2023, 12:58 PM
I hhave seen many reloading sources refer to #12 shot referred to as "dust". GW

Adam Helmer
04-08-2023, 01:24 PM
Tomkat,

After I retired in 1996, I experimented with shot loads in handgun calibers. We have Copperheads and Rattlers hereabouts. I settled on #7.5 shot for all uses. Be sure to ALWAYS wear eye protection because handgun shot BOUNCES Back!

Adam

barnetmill
04-08-2023, 04:48 PM
Museums used to use various dust shot loads for collecting small critters including things that crawled and flew. i remember a box for such loads in the back rooms of the field museum in Chicago when I was an undergraduate. The box was very old and in .32 caliber.

barnetmill
04-08-2023, 04:50 PM
Tomkat,

After I retired in 1996, I experimented with shot loads in handgun calibers. We have Copperheads and Rattlers hereabouts. I settled on #7.5 shot for all uses. Be sure to ALWAYS wear eye protection because handgun shot BOUNCES Back!

Adam

I believe number nine is a little too small penetration wise on water moccasins. I may try reloading in 7.5 shot.

racepres
04-08-2023, 05:15 PM
However...Dust is much different from #12... as it looks less like Shot, and much more like Ball Powder

Tomkat,

Adam
For tough critters, Large Snakes (which we gots none that are Dangerous in My part of the Rhubarb patch)or them Barn Yard Rats... some large as a Possum... #7-1/2, please...from years of experience..

Oh... and Not out of anything smaller than a 44Spl,...again from experience...won't anchor the Buggers..

One more Edit, If you think you have a Good "shot" load...shoot a red squirrel... If ya drop him right where he is...you may be onto something!!!

GregLaROCHE
04-09-2023, 03:17 AM
I remember shooting 22lr birdshot as a kid. I couldn’t kill anything with it. I think it must have been smaller than #12.

M-Tecs
04-09-2023, 03:51 AM
22LR birdshot is/was normally 12 shot. Remington made a smoothbore 22LR. It patterned OK. Out of rifled barrels you need to be really close to be effective.

I have never saw a printed reference for shot smaller than 12.

GregLaROCHE
04-09-2023, 07:49 AM
I’m sure you are right. As a kid, I couldn’t help prying one open a couple of times. I remember they were tiny. I said to myself, that’s why it wouldn’t kill anything.

owejia
04-09-2023, 09:13 AM
Have 30+ pounds of this stuff. Measured with mics it runs about .040 or smaller. Hard to measure. Most of this was used as ballast in exercise equipment, but a small portion came from one of the ballast bags that the old Garmin GPS used. Have not loaded or shot any of it. Back in the 70's, worked with a guy in Virginia that was showing me pictures in a magazine of people loading small shot/dust in the plastic shot cartridges and hunting grasshoppers with them. He told about loading shot in the cci shot shells and shooting empty cans while in the air, not telling the other guys he had shot shells instead of bullets, proving he was a better shot. His father owned a construction company in one of the towns across the James River from Newport News Va. but can't remember his name. We have grasshoppers that get to 1 1/2 in long here in the late summer, so guess it is feasible to shoot big insects with the dust. Have thought about loading some in my 38 spl carpenter bee loads and trying them but the walnut media does a really good job. Have dispatched a couple of small " mister no shoulders " with the walnut media as well.

MostlyLeverGuns
04-09-2023, 09:25 AM
22 LR 'rat shot is #12, CCI 22 Mag shot uses #11, CCI 9mm, 40 S&W, 44 Spcl, 45 Colt, 45 ACP all come in #9, some in #4. I have loaded 44, 45, and 38 using #10. The #10 works well on rattlers as do the CCI #9. Sometimes the 22 LR take a second shot to really finish some snakes, but under 6 feet they work. Still, shooting at the head works best. Wife did kill a bunny at 8 ft with A CCI 44 #9. It caught the wads and all, eating a newly planted tomato stalk. Most of them not of much use past 10-12 feet.

GregLaROCHE
04-09-2023, 12:07 PM
Once I used 44 mag shot to kill some marten that were sneaking into my cabin at night. It didn’t damage much else, but really worked on them.

ohiochuck
04-11-2023, 12:23 PM
I recommend that you review Outpost75's posts about the effectiveness of snake loads in popular pistol cartridges.
Jim

Texas by God
04-15-2023, 11:06 AM
I bought some irregular #11/#12 shot from a member here. I believe that it will work fine. This paper snake took 27hits(including the plug for the Speer .38 capsule) at ten feet.
The pattern is starting to show gaps but a snake ten feet away doesn’t bother me. Unless it’s a Cottonmouth- then I’d better have a real shotgun!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230415/f801fafe39d91a9a07afe33d7e228d14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alferd Packer
04-19-2023, 09:54 AM
No.12 was always called dust shot.
It looks like dust when it hits anything hard and literally makes hamburger out of rats or snakes or anything else it hits
The fact that its lead is what gives it the range.
I can duplicate those results with uncooked rice at close range.

The .no12 lead shot is worth it when you find it.
12 ga RIO SHOTSHELLS had been selling with no12 shot.
A box of those will give you a great many loads for pistols.
Wear eye protection.
Richocettes are vicious

barnetmill
04-19-2023, 03:26 PM
I bought some irregular #11/#12 shot from a member here. I believe that it will work fine. This paper snake took 27hits(including the plug for the Speer .38 capsule) at ten feet.
The pattern is starting to show gaps but a snake ten feet away doesn’t bother me. Unless it’s a Cottonmouth- then I’d better have a real shotgun!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230415/f801fafe39d91a9a07afe33d7e228d14.jpg

If it was not a pit viper or python I would not shoot it.
With number 11 or 12 shot if that was a water moccasin it might still be capable of biting. I assume the large dark spots on the head are eyes and with a hit near an eye. The snake would likely only be badly wounded and might very well die from the wound but not anytime real, real soon.
I usually get a little closer with gun at about 6 feet away and shoot to sort of anchor it and if it seems stunned get a little close and pulp the head.

HWooldridge
04-19-2023, 04:00 PM
I carry a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog with either #9 or #12 shot for snakes, and either will put a big hurt on most any native snake. Not sure I would shoot pythons in Florida with them but even the biggest rattlers or cottonmouths die pretty quickly. It's also no problem to double-tap the big ones if you feel like it's necessary.

Smoke4320
04-20-2023, 08:49 PM
#12 will work fine in short distance for snakes.

Bruntson
04-20-2023, 09:50 PM
The chart on the Wikipedia page on Shot has all the sizes of shot including dust. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet) #12 and dust are different sizes.

barnetmill
04-21-2023, 01:52 PM
I carry a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog with either #9 or #12 shot for snakes, and either will put a big hurt on most any native snake. Not sure I would shoot pythons in Florida with them but even the biggest rattlers or cottonmouths die pretty quickly. It's also no problem to double-tap the big ones if you feel like it's necessary.
I use .38 spl and can see a distinct advantage using the payload of a .44 on snakes.

racepres
04-21-2023, 02:57 PM
On our Giant Rats (pig barn rats) 7-1/2.. Overkill???? Maybe... drop em dead in their tracks??? Yup!!
Snakes... IDK, Honestly...I never shot one... we don't gots mean/deadly snakes in my yard!!

Adam Helmer
04-27-2023, 12:41 PM
Great Responses;

ALWAYS be sure to wear EYE Protection with ANY shot loads. BOUNCE BACK of pellets will Blind a shooter FOREVER! Be Safe!

Adam

barnetmill
04-30-2023, 04:35 PM
Great Responses;

ALWAYS be sure to wear EYE Protection with ANY shot loads. BOUNCE BACK of pellets will Blind a shooter FOREVER! Be Safe!

Adam

Likely an advantage to using the smaller shot in that bounce back momentum and energies are very minimal. I am always firing into the ground at a standing angle. I have never had any bounce back. I once has .22 cal round balls shot from a 140 crossman air rifle come back fast by me. I fired at a concrete block wall.

trapper9260
05-11-2023, 06:30 AM

When I grew up that #12 shot is always called dust shot. At times #9 was too.This was many years ago.

Texas by God
07-14-2023, 11:46 PM
I cut a chicken snake in two with one shot then brained it with the next one.
Range was two feet as it hid behind the dogs water bucket.
About 5’ long before the gun fired.
#11/12 shot, Speer capsule, .38 Special Rossi snubby.
Tomorrow I’m kayaking the river;
20 gauge Maverick pump for that trip!

slim1836
07-15-2023, 01:09 AM
[QUOTE=Texas by God;5600868]I cut a chicken snake in two with one shot then brained it with the next one.
Range was two feet as it hid behind the dogs water bucket.
About 5’ long before the gun fired.
#11/12 shot, Speer capsule, .38 Special Rossi snubby.
Tomorrow I’m kayaking the river;
20 gauge Maverick pump for that trip!

Last time I did that I lost all my firearms, be careful out there.

Slim

ebb
07-18-2023, 09:25 AM
When my oldest daughter was 3 she was out on the porch and started yelling peacock poo on my shoes! truth was she had peacock poo all over her, and mom was not happy. The owner never did much to keep it at home after repeated requests. I decide I could train it to stay home with 22 rat shot. At ten feet the rat shot infected some pain but mostly just bounced off its feathers. It was getting where it would not let me get close and would run , but not all the way home just another spot in my yard. A sneak shot from the SGD at 40 feet killed it grave yard dead, much to my surprise. I buried it and covered up the fresh dirt with a piece of plywood. Later in the day all the baby peacocks were pecking at the plywood looking for mom. I wish I had film of the baby peacock round up. just a tale on how one bad decision can go down hill to many more.

owejia
08-03-2023, 09:23 AM
TomKat inquiring minds want to know if you ever had a chance to load any of the shot dust shot shells!