PDA

View Full Version : 9mm (.354") felt wads for the .451 Whitworth rifle.

BobInAus
04-06-2023, 10:45 PM
G’day again guys, I have just been speaking with a mate who informed me that I should be using more than hexagonal wads I had been cutting from thin old hat felt. He said I should be using thicker felt wads namely 9mm wads from a Peter Dyson over in England. Looking at the wads it looks like they will really soak up the lube. Now the big question is can any one of you more experienced muzzleloaders tell me what sort of lube could I use to soak up into the wads. Any information would be really appreciated.

Regards Bob.

swamp
04-06-2023, 11:24 PM
When I had mine, I used beer coasters to cut my hex wads from. For lube I used my tallow/ bee wax mix. Melted the lube in a shallow pan and soaked the wads till full. Never had any problems.
swamp

BobInAus
04-07-2023, 07:06 PM
Hey swamp, after the wads dried out were they hard or soft? Why I ask is because Peter Dyson wads are thick and they might dry hard and wont smeer the lube along the barrel. Am I on the right track?
Thanks for your reply.
Bob

swamp
04-07-2023, 07:17 PM
They thickened when the absorbed the lube and softened a bit. I don't remember having any problem with fouling. They fit the bore snug.
swamp

BobInAus
04-09-2023, 09:06 PM
Thanks for that bit of info. I'll go from here.
Bob

Edward
04-09-2023, 11:15 PM
I call Dura Felt and order their felt and punch holes with a set of $15.00 hole punches from Harbor Freight , and always go 1 size up on the wads
45 I use a 50 cal and so on .A complete set of punches covers a lot of sizes !!!/Ed