PDA

View Full Version : Matchng Buffalo Bore heavy loads in lever action carbine

braddock
04-06-2023, 07:59 AM
BB are claiming some really eyebrow raising mvs for their 180 grn rngc bullets in 357, has anyone matched this ? Reason I ask is over here in the UK we have a minimum muzzle energy for harvesting some of the deer and this round and their 158 grn load surpass it.

Silvercreek Farmer
04-06-2023, 08:41 AM
This will get you close.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/power_pro_300.aspx

GregLaROCHE
04-06-2023, 03:26 PM
I never realized your boolits could get you a speeding ticket. So far, no limits on muzzle velocities in France.

M-Tecs
04-06-2023, 04:09 PM
BB are claiming some really eyebrow raising mvs for their 180 grn rngc bullets in 357, has anyone matched this ? Reason I ask is over here in the UK we have a minimum muzzle energy for harvesting some of the deer and this round and their 158 grn load surpass it.

Buffalo Bore chrono's various firearms for actual velocities. Most other use standard pressure barrels. I have only chrono'd a couple of their loads but the published velocities verse claims for that specific firearm and barrel length have been very accurate.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

If you barrel is longer than 18 1/2 they used it will be faster.

braddock
04-06-2023, 06:25 PM
Silvercreekfarmer, many thanks for that.
Greg, 'tis a minimum muzzle energy requirement, 1000ft.lbs minimum m.e. for muntjac deer and chinese water deer, 1700 ft.lbs mnimum m.e. for the remainder of UK deer. It's slightly different in both Scotland and Northern Ireland and in all cases bullets that can expand and/or deform must be used.
Buffalo Bore ammo, to my knowledge, isn't imported into the UK yet so the recipe in the link Silvercreek posted is helpful but, regrettably one has to provide makers evidence ie factory ammo and packaging.
For me it's hypothetical really as I've given up on deer hunting for a couple of reasons and am selling my stalking rifle I just wanted to emulate the ammo in reloads. Fortunately the powder is REACH Compliant and available in the uk so I'll pick up a bottle next time I see some.

Beerd
04-07-2023, 06:44 PM
braddock,
just out of curiosity, what is your stalking rifle?

and Vihtavouri shows some speedy .357Mag load data on their website.

GregLaROCHE
04-08-2023, 04:31 AM
Silvercreekfarmer, many thanks for that.
Greg, 'tis a minimum muzzle energy requirement, 1000ft.lbs minimum m.e. for muntjac deer and chinese water deer, 1700 ft.lbs mnimum m.e. for the remainder of UK deer. It's slightly different in both Scotland and Northern Ireland and in all cases bullets that can expand and/or deform must be used.
Buffalo Bore ammo, to my knowledge, isn't imported into the UK yet so the recipe in the link Silvercreek posted is helpful but, regrettably one has to provide makers evidence ie factory ammo and packaging.
For me it's hypothetical really as I've given up on deer hunting for a couple of reasons and am selling my stalking rifle I just wanted to emulate the ammo in reloads. Fortunately the powder is REACH Compliant and available in the uk so I'll pick up a bottle next time I see some.

I reread your post. I got it backwards. That makes sense now. Good luck on your reloads.

Shawlerbrook
04-08-2023, 06:48 AM
There is a YouTube video where the Buffalo Bore 357 load is recreated with Cast Performance 180’s and Lil Gun powder.

braddock
04-16-2023, 01:30 PM
braddock,
just out of curiosity, what is your stalking rifle?

and Vihtavouri shows some speedy .357Mag load data on their website.

Ruger #1 in 308 win, most successful with speer 165 grn BTSP and latterly with 130 grn barnes tsx but they ain't cast.