PDA

View Full Version : Rechargable battries

abunaitoo
04-04-2023, 09:53 PM
I'm looking to get a AA and AAA rechargeable battery kit.
So many different brands out there.
Anyone have one and like it?????

Misery-Whip
04-04-2023, 09:56 PM
Panasonic Eneloop

Watch out for the kits that include Cs and D sizes. Most just include a C or D adapter the included AA goes INSIDE of it.

Nueces
04-04-2023, 10:08 PM
I've had really good experience with Amazon Basics chargers and Ni-MH batteries. A set of four AAs has lasted years in my computer mouse, changed out several times a month.

megasupermagnum
04-04-2023, 11:37 PM
I'm having moderate success with Energizer rechargeable batteries. I got them mainly for trail cameras, and they do ok. Compared to lithium they are much weaker. An Energizer lithium is good for a whole year for me using 3 picture bursts. I get thousands of false trips from windy days, and the batteries still last. By comparison, the Energizer rechargeable are good for about 2 months. They also don't seem to store well. I had a lot of problems last year with batteries I charged over the winter. Come September, and they only lasted 3-4 weeks in the camera. They also drain in cold, I would not expect over a month in the winter. The upside is they can be way cheaper in the long run.

I've also tried them in lights, flashlight, headlamp, etc., and have had zero success. The lower voltage is no good for my uses. Very dim light, some don't work at all.

Random stuff like a remote, toothbrush, clocks, etc. rechargeable are fantastic.

My charger is a Bonai, and it is awesome. It can do both AA and AAA.

.429&H110
04-05-2023, 12:41 AM
Back in the 80's my boys had a fleet of ""Stomper 4X4s"
Little battery killers, good fun unless stepped on.
A fine test for the energizer bunny.
So I got a mess of RadioShack AA rechargables
that only charged to 1.4 volts
would run a Stomper for half an hour.
Noisy little trucks, had curves to turn them.
Around and around they would race.
Slower and slower they would go.

So the boys learned about battery internal resistance
multitesters
current and volts
dc motors and gears
cleaning tiny machines
charge/discharge curves
rectified power supplies
Good old E=IR
and that batteries cost real money and have a limited lifetime.

America is being sold full sized Stompers.

deces
04-05-2023, 12:48 AM
A fast talker with a high pitch voice, who does reviews for things like this.

https://youtu.be/CzZrB974Zro

GregLaROCHE
04-05-2023, 01:05 AM
I gave up on rechargeable AA and AAA a few years ago. Don’t have many things that use them. I know regular batteries are fully charged and how long they will last. Usually a lot longer than a mid life rechargeable.

RogerDat
04-05-2023, 01:45 AM
Look for one that has automatic cut off for charging. Faster charging generally means more heat and heat is hard on the batteries. Rechargables also have a discharge rate just sitting on the shelf. I think it varies by battery type but for older rechargables it was something like 1% to 3% per month. So they can lose a fair amount of power just sitting around.

I found this article rating the different types of battery. NiMh, Lithium etc. as well as chargers.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-rechargeable-batteries/

Worth noting that Li-ion rechargables don't have the same voltage as NiMh or Alkaline do. 1.2 volts as opposed to 1.5 volts. Some devices it won't matter, others it will.

I will say for camera speed lights I have used rechargables for a good while with satisfactory results. That particular battery isn't any longer available so no point on mentioning its name. I do however always carry backup alkaline batteries because as someone else mentioned I KNOW what they will deliver fresh from the pack as long as I rotate the stock occasionally.

One other sort of related thing, the spring in battery compartments is because there really isn't an international standard size for batteries. Spring allows for some adjustment so "undersized" batteries will fit and be held in place. Open up a cheap Harbor Freight flashlight and compare the included batteries with one from the store. The ones I have checked were not as big around and a touch shorter. Rechargeables will have a Milliamp hour rating which provides a way to compare the batteries capacity independent of its designation as A or AA etc. All things being equal as to quality a 2300 mAh has more capacity than a 2100 mAh battery.

GhostHawk
04-05-2023, 08:08 AM
Lithium IMO is much better than Nickle Metal Hydride. Was not impressed with the performance of those.

I have several series of Lithium 18650 batterys which I use in my flashlights and my vape power unit.
Where the old pen style battery's were quitting after less than a day. The 18650 will give me 2 to 3 days use on a charge.
They are reasonably priced, and if you look for a mid range flashlight that uses them you can often find a duel or quad charger as part of the package.

Screwbolts
04-05-2023, 08:22 AM
I have Panasonic Eneloops that are 14 yrs old and still give me 100% capacity in RC equipment that I use alot. get the Japan manufactured Eneloop batteries not the Chinese clones. I find that Batteryjunction.com to be my trusted source.

I have many LiFE, LiIon and even some NiCd still in use but because of the quality of Eneloop batteries I go that way. Yes I make my own battery packs and unlike some, I know how to cycle batteries and establish there capacity regardless of there chemistry.

Eneloop for reliabitity and long life!

Soundguy
04-05-2023, 09:16 AM
I'm looking to get a AA and AAA rechargeable battery kit.
So many different brands out there.
Anyone have one and like it?????

At work we like tenergy or enloops.. and try to get the highest mah you can. some offer up to 2800 on the AA's

MrWolf
04-05-2023, 10:02 AM
I have been using the EBL batteries and chargers from Amazon. The best unit is in the house and the other is in the garage. They come in handy and I have had no problems so far in well over four years. I got the first one when I had bought it for a gf but we broke up before I gave it to her. I can't tell you why a battery charger would make a good gift as I would probably get banned[smilie=w:

Soundguy
04-05-2023, 10:09 AM
I have been using the EBL batteries and chargers from Amazon. The best unit is in the house and the other is in the garage. They come in handy and I have had no problems so far in well over four years. I got the first one when I had bought it for a gf but we broke up before I gave it to her. I can't tell you why a battery charger would make a good gift as I would probably get banned[smilie=w:

Yup.. EBL are decent too.

abunaitoo
04-05-2023, 02:46 PM
Looking for lithium.
I'll check out amazon.
Thanks Y'all

GregLaROCHE
04-05-2023, 04:09 PM
I find that many things that used to use the small batteries, now contain there own and recharge with a USB cord.

abunaitoo
04-05-2023, 11:16 PM
I've ha really good experience with Amazon Basics chargers and lithium batteries. A set of four AAs has lasted years in my computer mouse, changed out several times a month.

The charger is "out of stock"
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ni-MH-Battery-Charger-Port/dp/B00TS18AEA/ref=sr_1_24?crid=GE451DCMJJ5P&keywords=amazon%2Bbasics%2Bchargers%2Band%2Blithiu m%2Bbattery&qid=1680750866&sprefix=amazon%2Bbasics%2Bchargers%2Band%2Blithium %2Bbatterie%2Caps%2C1004&sr=8-24&th=1

OOOOOps
This is for Ni batteries.
Not the one I'm looking for.

megasupermagnum
04-05-2023, 11:18 PM
The charger is "out of stock"
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ni-MH-Battery-Charger-Port/dp/B00TS18AEA/ref=sr_1_24?crid=GE451DCMJJ5P&keywords=amazon%2Bbasics%2Bchargers%2Band%2Blithiu m%2Bbattery&qid=1680750866&sprefix=amazon%2Bbasics%2Bchargers%2Band%2Blithium %2Bbatterie%2Caps%2C1004&sr=8-24&th=1

Get this one. If I had to charge 4 batteries at a time, I'd never get any trail cameras out.

https://www.amazon.com/BONAI-Battery-Charger-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B07H2C8D5R/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=bonai+charger&qid=1680750995&sr=8-13

abunaitoo
04-05-2023, 11:24 PM
Ugggggg
Can't ship Lithium batteries to me.
Back to the drawing board.

Bmi48219
04-06-2023, 08:50 AM
Lithium rechargeable batteries are great, but having seen the effects of a lithium battery fire I won’t charge then indoors and I store them in a small fireproof lockbox.

Nueces
04-06-2023, 10:10 AM
Ugggggg
Can't ship Lithium batteries to me.
Back to the drawing board.

I checked and found that my good experience has been with Ni-MH batteries, not lithium ones. Cheap enough to begin with a 4-charger and a small set of batteries, then buy a larger quantity if you like the results.

I keep a few lithium cells around for use in the temperature sensor of my winter water well heated hut, as they outperform other types in low temperatures. I prefer Ni-MH for better power, as in lighting.

megasupermagnum
04-06-2023, 11:34 AM
Lithium rechargeable batteries are great, but having seen the effects of a lithium battery fire I won’t charge then indoors and I store them in a small fireproof lockbox.

Do rechargeable lithium AA or AAA batteries exist?

MaryB
04-06-2023, 11:58 AM
Do rechargeable lithium AA or AAA batteries exist?

Yes, every portable tool battery pack is made with AA rechargeable lithium batteries

megasupermagnum
04-06-2023, 12:12 PM
Yes, every portable tool battery pack is made with AA rechargeable lithium batteries

I mean AA 1.5V batteries you can use for things. Not the higher voltage AA size cells. They must exist, but I've never seen them.

farmbif
04-06-2023, 01:31 PM
old tablets and other goodies that have lithium batteries have made for real good target practice just be sure they are in a place where everything won't burn down when they start to burn and you can scrape up all the bits and pieces once the fire burns itself out cuz just old water won't put it out.

GregLaROCHE
04-06-2023, 03:00 PM
So if someone shot a lithium battery there would be a fire or explosion? Sounds like they would make good reactive targets..

Rockindaddy
04-06-2023, 05:10 PM
All Electronics in The Peoples Republic of Mexifornia. They have alot of good surplus rechargeable batteries and chargers.

BK7saum
04-06-2023, 07:10 PM
Panasonic eneloop are the best rechargeable AAs I have ever used. Running some that are 6 to 7 years old and still going strong.

Lloyd Smale
04-07-2023, 03:03 PM
I gave up on rechargeable AA and AAA a few years ago. Don’t have many things that use them. I know regular batteries are fully charged and how long they will last. Usually a lot longer than a mid life rechargeable.

me too. they dont hold near the charge and between the cost of them and the charger and the fact that lithium's hold there charge in storage for years there just not worth my time

justindad
04-07-2023, 03:43 PM
Rechargeables are made in China. Disposables are made in USA.

megasupermagnum
04-07-2023, 07:22 PM
Rechargeables are made in China. Disposables are made in USA.

Of what brand?

My favorite are Energizer Lithium, they are made in Singapore. My Energizer Rechargable NIMH are made in South Korea. The Eneloop batteries recommended here seem to be made in Japan. As far as I can tell the only two options for made in USA batteries are Energizer alkaline and Duracell alkaline. I'm not seeing any name brand batteries made in China, although I'm sure there are millions of generic brands out there made in China.

GregLaROCHE
04-09-2023, 03:43 AM
Those generic ones from China must be what you get when batteries are included with the product. They never last very long.