PDA

View Full Version : Today It Happened… a Ruger #3

Green Frog
04-02-2023, 10:20 PM
OK, for several years I’ve speculated on how wonderful it would be to own and shoot a Ruger #3 Carbine in 327 Fed Mag. At a gun show this weekend I did well enough to take the first step. I purchased a shooter grade #3 in 223 Remington.

I don’t know a lot of details about them, my only personal experience with a #3 was decades ago and I’ve had time to forget a lot. First I’d like to know whether a ca 1980 example would have come from the factory with an adjustment screw in the upper curve of the trigger shoe? Also, I’d love to know about any caliber changes folks have done. I’m especially interested in what had to be done about extractors

By way of history, I once owned a Ruger #1 that had been rebarreled from 22-250 to 32-40. It was built for Schuetzen by Bud Welch and was quite good, but at the time, I was pretty well committed to my 32-40 high wall, so it went away. I don’t know whether the trigger on that one was original, but I don’t remember a screw in the trigger shoe of that one.

I’m casting a wide net at this point. I’d like to hear from anyone with experience or history with the Ruger Number 3. Anybody wanna help me out?

Froggie

Harleysboss
04-02-2023, 11:13 PM
I had bought a #3 in 45-70 just for the action. It is now a 50-70 gov't with a 28" octagon barrel. The wood was replaced with a #1 stock set. A local gun smith (Taylor Machine) did the conversion work. It's a real hoot to shoot! Probably not what you are looking for but? I have another #3 again in 45-70 that is being restocked with a #1 buttstock. That on my turn into a 38-55 down the road, we'll see. Fun little guns. Good luck with your project.

Fitz
04-02-2023, 11:47 PM
I have a #3 that was born a 223 Rem. but wasn't all that for accuracy ,it took a trip to Jess in Oregon and became a 350 Legend now it shoots a 280 gr. paper patched bullet and will do 1 in. groups all day if I do my part . best re bore I ever had done.

Nobade
04-03-2023, 07:17 AM
The earlier ones had those trigger adjustment screws. It's a good thing to have them. The extractor you have should work fine for 327 fed mag. They are spring loaded and cover a wide range of case head sizes. It should just take a barrel change and you'll be in business. Enjoy!

ohen cepel
04-03-2023, 07:39 AM
Sounds like a great option! I'm a big 32 fan. Please keep us posted.

gewehrfreund
04-03-2023, 08:19 AM
The Number 3 NEVER came with the 3-screw adjustable trigger. From the start, Ruger put only the 2-screw (spring tension and overtravel) trigger in these. So, if you want a nice trigger (i.e. adjustable for sear engagement), you'll probably have to get one of the aftermarket examples, or find an older 3-screw No. 1 trigger; they show up often on ebay, etc.

I've owned a several No. 3s over the years, and sold my last original one last year. I do have two custom rifles built using the No. 3 action. One is a 222 Rem. that J.K. Cloward worked on, but that was missing a lot of parts and was unfinished. It is nice and shoots very well.

The other has had a No. 1 barrel attached, that was originally a 7mm Mag, then relined by Steve Durren to 32-20. A fun and accurate rifle. I also used No. 1S wood, and have plans to put some custom wood on it.

gunther
04-03-2023, 09:01 AM
gewehrfreund: does the #1 in your second photo have a folded down receiver sight, and, if so, how did you mount it?

kootne
04-03-2023, 10:18 AM
Froggie, I sold my #3 40 years ago, all I remember is a really clunky stock. I like the thought these guys have of using #1 wood. Also, not knowing what you are doing about a barrel but I don't think a rebore will work. 223 case being bigger diameter than .327 But a longer, thinner octagon barrel seems better to me anyway.
Have fun building it. I know you will have fun when it is done.
Dennis

Green Frog
04-03-2023, 12:36 PM
Well, I’ve gotten it home now and had time to look at it in the daylight. There’s a bit more blue wear than I thought on the barrel, no bare spots or browning, but it is thin. The scope is a lower priced BSA (which I knew going in) and I’ll probably end up changing that out. As for the stock, part of the reason I wanted a #3 was for the carbine sized stock and barrel. I’ve seen several “Number 2s” with a #1 stock added to a #3 with attractive results. Steve Durren did a nice build I used to see at the ASSRA Nationals, for instance. The only thing I didn’t like was how cramped the lever became when used with a pistol grip. Has anyone here tried to heat and reshape one of these levers?

My current plan is to take it out and shoot it as is, just to see how it feels, then start shopping a barrel job around. I have a new young gunsmith here I may give a crack at it, otherwise I’ll have to send it off to one of the established single shot gunsmiths. Now that Durren has retired I’ll have to dig a little deeper. I don’t know how Taylor feels about Rugers?

Froggie

Rapier
04-03-2023, 01:23 PM
This is my #13, a #3 with #1 wood, #1 barrel and #1 extractor, changed from a cobbed up 22 Hornet barrel to a 7 mm Rem Mag shoots sub 1/2". Bought it for the action. Ruger used to sell the extractors, Eben Arthur Brown EBCO also used to sell triggers, but sounds like your #3 has had a trigger change.
You glass bed and free float the barrel by mounting the for-end on the hanger, then shorten the scope rail so it does not touch the action.

eastbank
04-03-2023, 04:43 PM
312549 i bought this ruger #3 in 45-70 some time ago and was going to rebarrel it to 7mm08, but decided to shoot it first and boy am i glad i did. this 3 shot group was shot at 100 yards with a 300 gr hornady bullet with 50 grs h-4895 and a older 1.75-6x leupold scope. rifle is straight factory stock, with odd barrel band. i have killed a boat load of game with it over the years.

gewehrfreund
04-03-2023, 04:44 PM
gewehrfreund: does the #1 in your second photo have a folded down receiver sight, and, if so, how did you mount it?
It's actually a #2 (#3 action, #1S barrel and wood), and no, it does not have a receiver sight. I've seen Ruger single shots that have been D&T on the side of the receiver for an aperture sight (Williams used to make one specifically for the it), and even some high end custom guns with a tang sight fixed into the safety slot. But since NECG came out with their aperture sight that mounts right on the Ruger scope base, there's no need to finagle one for it.

MT Gianni
04-03-2023, 04:52 PM
Beware of the take it out and shoot it plan. I have a couple of Encore barrels I bought for a rebore that I made other plans after shooting them.

Mk42gunner
04-03-2023, 05:15 PM
I'll second the "Don't shoot the donor rifle" plan. It never works out well for preshoot plans.

I'll check my No.3 trigger tonight, I think it is from the late seventies.

Robert

Green Frog
04-03-2023, 05:19 PM
Beware of the take it out and shoot it plan. I have a couple of Encore barrels I bought for a rebore that I made other plans after shooting them.

I had considered that, but I’ve already got plenty of 223s (1) and I don’t I’ll ever have enough 32s. Can you imagine being able to shoot everything from 32 S&W(“short”) and 32 ACP up through Long, H&R and 327 FM from one carbine? I’m beginning to salivate just thinking of it! Where’s my bib?
Froggie

gunther
04-03-2023, 06:08 PM
The reason I asked gewehrfreund about a receiver sight revolves around one of those custom #1's a friend had built in 32 40. It showed up in Gun
Digest some years ago. It featured a tang sight that bridged the safety. In envy, I found a #1 in 338wm, hoping to convert it to 38 55. Made the mistake of shooting it with cast first, and, oops, it's a keeper. The addition of a Ruger front sight banded ramp from Brownells, and a Lyman 17 sight on top of that took care of one end and an Enfield rear sight with homemade clamp blocks for the Ruger quarter rib did the other. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the rear sight to become a fold-down. That's the fun of it.

Green Frog
04-04-2023, 10:04 AM
Mr Gunther, shooting a 338 is never a mistake! It’s simply a modernized version of the rebored 32-40s done by Harry Pope and others to 33-40 or similar. They won a lot of prizes in single shot rifles back in the day. If your particular #1 shoots well in that caliber, it would be a shame to change it.

Froggie

Good Cheer
04-04-2023, 03:02 PM
The No.3 is my favorite rifle I'll ever own.
https://i.imgur.com/TZkklmp.jpg

Green Frog
04-04-2023, 03:27 PM
OK Mr Cheer, don’t leave us hanging. Tell us about the (wildcat?) 38 Long Cox. Is it based on the 30-30 case or is it something bigger? It looks kinda like a 25-20 WCF on a lot of growth hormones. BTW, is that a #1 fore arm or is it custom as well? Inquiring minds…

I’m wondering how there are any original configuration #3s left. They are such great donor guns to build people’s pet customs. Originally Ruger sold #1 bare actions for the custom rifle crowd. I think their lawyers made them quit, but wouldn’t it be great if they would sell a no frills #3 action for those of us with dreams of greatness?

Froggie

Mk42gunner
04-04-2023, 06:00 PM
Froggie, I checked my No 3 last night. It does have the two screws in the trigger as depicted in the downloadable owner's manual. No luck on the date of manufacture, I got a big fat "we can't find it" from the Ruger website.

Mine is still factory original, albeit with a big honking steel block (greatly resembles a small brick) for a front scope base. Redfield IIRC.

Oh yeah, its a .22 Hornet.

Robert

Good Cheer
04-04-2023, 06:54 PM
OK Mr Cheer, don’t leave us hanging. Tell us about the (wildcat?) 38 Long Cox. Is it based on the 30-30 case or is it something bigger? It looks kinda like a 25-20 WCF on a lot of growth hormones. BTW, is that a #1 fore arm or is it custom as well? Inquiring minds…

I’m wondering how there are any original configuration #3s left. They are such great donor guns to build people’s pet customs. Originally Ruger sold #1 bare actions for the custom rifle crowd. I think their lawyers made them quit, but wouldn’t it be great if they would sell a no frills #3 action for those of us with dreams of greatness?

Froggie

Hey Green Frog.
That was my from the ground up 200 yard cast bullet deer hunting rifle. It's a 45-70 case necked down to hold lots of lube grooves. Wanted the right amount of case volume for my purposes and 45-70 worked out just right. After it was all said and done turned out that what I'd invented amounted to a smokeless version of the 9.5 Mauser. Those in the picture were loaded with the Lyman #375296 (283 grains), a compressed charge of 760 and CCI-250 primers, 2153FPS, what I used in '91. The point of the design was to get a heavy soft bullet moving fast enough without pressures subjecting the base to plastic deformation that would destroy its accuracy. Bullet design compatible to those ends was critical. When I designed the cartridge in the early 80's the conventional wisdom was to cast hard and use fast burning powders. Experimented with cartridges until I figured out how to make this work, selected the diameter and weight I needed, chose the parent case for volume and neck length. Got the reamer and dies. Don't mind telling you I was way proud when it all came together.
Oh, forgot to answer your question about the wood. That's all from the No.3. The brother's skilled eye and hands at work.

Green Frog
04-04-2023, 07:58 PM
I found a listing of dates... at least they had the starting number for each year. I’m on my old iPad now so I can’t get to it, but if you’ll post the prefix and first few numbers (like 130 123XX) or send me a PM with the whole thing, I’ll look it up on the other brain when it’s recharged and give you the date and the URL. In return, where did that PDF come from?

Froggie

Green Frog
04-04-2023, 08:48 PM
PS to last- here’s the URL to Ruger’s serial nos for #3s;
https://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RI-No3.html

Mk42gunner
04-04-2023, 10:06 PM
I found that chart a few minutes ago, thanks anyway. It gives close enough results for me.

My little .22 Hornet was made in 1978, which kind of goes with the M8-4X Leupold that sits on top of it. If it weren't in such good condition, I could see turning it into a .327 Federal.

Robert

Green Frog
04-04-2023, 10:23 PM
Good Cheer, it sounds like you’ve described a “38-56 Improved” there. It looks to me like you’ve got a real winner. The fact that you did all that designing and testing puts you on a much higher level than I’ve even dreamed of. Your brother must have a real artist’s eye; that fore arm is a great match stylistically.

Robert, changing the barrel and fore arm is not a permanent change if you don’t want it to be. All alteration would involve removing the fore arm and unscrewing the barrel, then putting them aside in a safe place. Then fit the barrel of your choice, add some wood, and voila! your dream #3. At least I hope it will work like that when my 327 FM carbine build begins.

Froggie

eastbank
04-05-2023, 05:45 AM
i have a ruger #3 .22 hornet barrel(bore pitted some) that i bought to have rechambered and rebored to 7-08, never got to it, if some one could use it i would let it go.

Green Frog
04-05-2023, 09:50 AM
PM sent, eastbank.
Froggie

rintinglen
04-05-2023, 10:17 AM
Froggie, whatever you do, DON'T SHOOT IT! The surest way to buy a great shooting gun is to buy it as "a project gun." Then one of two things happens. Either it shoots so well you have to buy another one for the project, or else you bull ahead and convert it anyways, and the project then fails to live up to expectations. Be safe. Don't raise your hopes only to see them shattered by the cruel reality of scattered groups.:kidding:

murf205
04-05-2023, 03:41 PM
I second that Froggie. I bought a Monkey Ward 30-06 with a hideous stock but a FN Mauser action for $125 to build a 35 Whelen but shot it first. Still don't have a Whelen but got a great 30-06!

Mk42gunner
04-05-2023, 04:33 PM
...Robert, changing the barrel and fore arm is not a permanent change if you don’t want it to be. All alteration would involve removing the fore arm and unscrewing the barrel, then putting them aside in a safe place. Then fit the barrel of your choice, add some wood, and voila! your dream #3. At least I hope it will work like that when my 327 FM carbine build begins.

Froggie

You enabler you.

I have way too many projects in the line right now to start another one.

But I am not doing anything with the No. 3 right now...

I really need to finish the .30 BR Savage bedding job and make some dies for it first.

One of these years,

Robert

Chena
04-05-2023, 05:06 PM
Back around 1980 a friend’s hot loaded .45-70 No. 3 gave me the worst beating of any rifle I have ever fired. I still wince when I think about it. That said it was a wonderful little gun in every other way. Still kicking around the cabin somewhere is one of his round ball hand loads intended for hare and grouse. Those I could shoot without my eyes watering.

Texas by God
04-05-2023, 09:41 PM
The early #3 45-70 that I had was one the best shooting Rugers that I ever had. Factory 405gr and my cast loads were just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Frog
04-06-2023, 10:36 AM
I’ve told this story before, but here goes. About 30+ years ago, Dad was the third owner of a #3 in 45-70. It came with the original box of factory ammo, with only 2 rounds fired. That should have been a warning to us. He shot it once and I shot it twice (I’m a slow learner!) and that carbine got swapped off with a box of 15 unfired rounds. I don’t need that kind of abuse.

As for this project and my advancing age… this is the last of my “dream” projects, having been percolating in my brain ever since I had my K frame Smith built in 327 and bought my 327 Blackhawk. This may be my last major project, but I just felt like it was something I just had to do. The Henry lever gun in 327 is just too heavy, and I’ve always loved single shots, so there we go. Yes, I’ll shoot it in 223, just to check function and see how it fits, but that caliber holds little or no attraction for me. It appears I’ve been offered a 22 Hornet barrel to have rebored, and I’m liking the idea of a reshaped forearm for a more graceful appearance. Yes, this plan seems to finally be starting to come together.

Froggie

eastbank
04-06-2023, 11:43 AM
at near 80 its time i let go of some of the projects i also planned on doing. i don,t know where the time went, it seems like i was 30 yesterday. untill i look in the mirrow when i shave.

gnostic
04-06-2023, 12:10 PM
I owned a #3 in 45-70 years ago. It was without a doubt the most punishing rifle I've ever shot. It kicked like a demented mule and that was the good news. The bad news was, it put a big, painful bruise in my middle finger.
Re barrel it to a small cal, as anything with any recoil will rip your head off....

eastbank
04-06-2023, 01:10 PM
yes you can load the # 3 to kick like the bugger, the load i shoot 50 grs H-4198 with the 300 gr bullet at close to 2000 fps is a load i don,t mind when hunting and is a good deer-bear killer, however you can load that bullet to close to 2400 fps and that load will rattle your teeth and put colors on you biceps that need to be seen to believe.312645. as my ruger #1 is heavier it handles better with the real hot loads.

Gray Fox
04-06-2023, 08:01 PM
Not a #3, but a #1 in .45-70. About 30 years ago my B-in-law and I were going on an invited hunt for elk in SE Utah. Back in those days a non-resident could walk into a hardware store and buy a license and elk tag over the counter. Anyhow, he decided he was going to load the max load in the Hornady reloading manual for a #1 .45-70 with the 350 round nosed bullet. I opted for a much lesser load with the Lyman 457193 for use in my B-78 .45-70. These were to be our "dark timber" rifles we'd read about that we just had to have to go out West that would augment our .30-06s. Well, he snuggled down on the bench behind that rifle and touched off his first round--and concurrently knocked off three very expensive dental crowns. Being a relocated Yankee I was very appreciative of the N. Georgia hill country swear words I learned that afternoon. GF

Green Frog
04-06-2023, 09:47 PM
Yankees can curse or even be obscene at times, but we Southerners know how to sprinkle cuss words through the whole conversation as subject, verb, adjective and adverb! Sometimes you don’t even know we’ve said it, and sometimes you can’t forget it.
Froggie

Idaho Mule
04-07-2023, 12:22 PM
You guys are enablers. I have a #3 in 22 Hornet that doesn't get used enough. This thread got me thinking that a simple re chamber job to 218 Bee could be fun.

Rich/WIS
04-07-2023, 03:31 PM
The lever can be reshaped, had it done on one of my #3's. I wonder what Bill Ruger was thinking when he designed the butt stock on the number 3, it gets my vote as the worst design for recoil management.

spoon
04-09-2023, 05:34 PM
Ha! I have a #1 in 218 Bee and have been thinking of rebarreling to 30 Badger.
The 218 was bought with a rebarrel in mind but shot so well I kept it! How the world turns.

Frank V
04-23-2023, 05:55 PM
Oh boy, a rifle I traded years ago & wish I hadn’t is the Ruger #3 200th year of American Liberty in .30-40 Kraig. Sometimes we really goof up!

Green Frog
04-23-2023, 06:55 PM
I'd have loved to have a #3 in 30-40 Krag about 20-30 years ago, but I guess I've gotten way too old to take on many more quests.

Anybody wanna buy a slightly tilted windmill?

Froggie

Rich/WIS
04-24-2023, 11:25 AM
My #3's are both 30/40, one with a #1 buttstock made in 1976 and the other with a custom buttstock (not by a master stockmaker) and reshaped forend made in 1974. Both shoot okay but are not MOA rifles. Didn't try a lot of loads with either cast or J but even so will do better than 2 MOA, fine for steel plates and deer.

Rapier
04-24-2023, 03:33 PM
The #1s and #3s make a great custom single shot rifle, if you did not get exposed hammer withdrawals..... Some folks also get freaked out by not having a second shot, but if you learned to shoot on a one shooter, you do not miss the next shoot all that much, especially if you carry the next shot(s) between your fingers on the off hand. With practice it is quick.
Of course making the first shot count gets to be all that counts.

Green Frog
04-24-2023, 04:12 PM
Rapier,

My bench gun for ASSRA for about the last twenty years or so has been a Peregrine built for me by Charlie Dell. I don't need no steeenkin' hammers! :bigsmyl2:

I've done a fair amount of shooting with Winchester high walls and low walls, so that lever on the #3 fits my fingers just right! :mrgreen:

Froggie

garbler
04-26-2023, 01:56 PM
I’ve got an early #3 that was my Brothers who guided in Wyoming between drilling jobs. He was always running to Salt Lake to Parker Ackley for various project but one was this #3. Parker pretty much talked him into a custom rifle chambered in the 444 Marlin. Ackley was interested in this job as he told my Brother that Bill Ruger would never chamber the round in either of his single shots as he did not get along with the management at Marlin. To this day I could never figure the 444 being absent from his line up as it’s perfect in so many ways so maybe the story was true. Me Brother waited a year for the rifle and when picked it up Ackley told him he has run about fifty rounds through it as was very happy with results.

It’s got a 25” 1-18” barrel around a #4 or #5 contour and deep blue black bluing. Custom Claro walnut stock with cheek piece and nice figure. The butt cap is a checkered steel Niedner and the scope bases were made by a guy named ‘ Phillips ‘ ? Trigger break clean at 3.0 lbs with absolutely no creep. My Brother installed a nice early Weatherby German 2 x 7 scope the ones with the twin turrets on top with Euro style heavy post reticle. Not sure what else Ackley did to the action but it’s real smooth. This rifle will put bullets from 220 grain to the old big 300 grain Barnes without enough spread to worry about. It’s an honest 1/2” shooter but then I’ve almost always found bigger bullets to more accurate.If you need to drop a big moose near water and not worry about getting muddy and wet the 444 will blow both shoulders out and drop the animal where it stands. The 444 is a contender and gains range with pointy bullets

300 Gr Barnes: 2250 fps
265 Hornady : 2360 fps
H335 compressed loads firm crimp

Rick

Rapier
04-26-2023, 04:47 PM
Nice old P.O. #3 rifle. One day I may find an Ackley or Pope gun to own, if I am so lucky.

tejano
04-26-2023, 05:05 PM
Nice rifle indeed!

Green Frog
04-26-2023, 05:09 PM
Garble, that stock is gorgeous! It reminds me somewhat of the old high wall Special Sporter stock.
Froggie

garbler
04-26-2023, 05:25 PM
Garble, that stock is gorgeous! It reminds me somewhat of the old high wall Special Sporter stock.
Froggie

You’d look good in 444 and I know you have some nice trading stock

Rick

Green Frog
04-26-2023, 10:30 PM
Thanks but no thanks. You should have caught me with that one twenty years ago. At my age that caliber has one too many 4s in it!
Froggie

alfaguy
04-28-2023, 08:16 AM
My #3 was given to me with a buggered stock, so I ordered a fancy one with cheek rest. It is being converted from the stubby 30-40 Krag barrel to a 30" octagon 38-55. Barrel is in the mail from BRC in New Mexico - then off to Bobby Hoyt to be fitted. I love the 38-55 round, and converting the Ruger seemed like a better solution than buying a lever gun.

Green Frog
04-28-2023, 09:39 AM
The #3, properly stocked, has the potential to be the basis for virtually any traditional single shot caliber. The 38-55 ought to be a great match.
Froggie

braddock
07-01-2023, 09:10 AM
I've a 1982 #3 in 223, I bought it with the intention of rebarreling in 6.5 swede but shot it and was hooked on the 223, I also had a #1 in 308 but sold it on as my knees are just about shot and, being a similar age to Froggie, have no intention of having knee replacement surgery and I've done my bit for deer management here in the UK.
I transferred the Zeiss 1.x6 scope that used to be on the #1 and finally got it sighted in this morning.
Is it me or is there a lot of BS about the accuracy of ruger's single shots? I bought an electronic torque meter and snug the bolt up and both guns would put 3 shots into an inch at 100 yards.
My #3 has the two screws on the trigger, the gun came to me and the trigger set up was fine I've never altered it or wanted to even.
Now it shoots 50 grn Barnes varmint grenades at around 3200 fps and this am prone with a cheap chinese bipod shot 10 into about 1.25" with 1 flier.
I was going to sell it but I bought it so cheap it's not worth it and it goes out with me on most range trips now, especially with the Zeiss glass on top.315534 I love it to bits. I should point out I'd been loading it with 55 grn gas checked cast boolits but bought a 1000 barnes VGs in a store blow out and they were cheaper than cast.

Green Frog
07-04-2023, 01:52 PM
Nice #3, Braddock. What varmints are available for hunting in the UK? That 223 would be just the thing for our Virginia groundhogs. My best friend here used to use a 222 bolt gun on them here in VA, so I guess I could keep my #3 as-is for that purpose if I weren’t Jonesing so badly for a 327 FM in a single shot rifle.
Froggie

curioushooter
07-04-2023, 08:50 PM
Is 38 long cox a 35 KRAG with a long neck? It started as a 45-70 but if I'm not mistaken 45-70 and 30-40 Krag have the same shellholder.

Green Frog
07-04-2023, 10:23 PM
Nope, the 30-40 and the 444 may take the same shell holder from some manufacturers. The 45-70 has a larger base diameter and rim diameter.

Froggie

Jedman
07-04-2023, 10:40 PM
I had a FFL back in 1986 and remember getting flyers from Southern Ohio Gun ( SOG ) when they were selling off large stocks of Ruger no. 3’s they had. The sale price was $ 149.99 ea. with further discounts for buying in quantity. I had the money but not the knowledge needed to buy a bunch back then.
Jedman

Green Frog
07-05-2023, 09:36 AM
I had a FFL back in 1986 and remember getting flyers from Southern Ohio Gun ( SOG ) when they were selling off large stocks of Ruger no. 3’s they had. The sale price was $ 149.99 ea. with further discounts for buying in quantity. I had the money but not the knowledge needed to buy a bunch back then.
Jedman

As my PA Dutch ancestors would say, “Ve grow too zoon oldt und too late schmardt!” I tell myself that when I could have bought stuff I want now very cheaply,I had even more less “disposable income” than I do now. ��
Froggie

braddock
08-06-2023, 01:54 PM
Nice #3, Braddock. What varmints are available for hunting in the UK? That 223 would be just the thing for our Virginia groundhogs. My best friend here used to use a 222 bolt gun on them here in VA, so I guess I could keep my #3 as-is for that purpose if I weren’t Jonesing so badly for a 327 FM in a single shot rifle.
Froggie
We got rabbits, fox, muntjac deer plus all the feathered ones when they land in front of a good backstop, though, tbh, under a couple hundred yards those VGs don't stay in one piece, especially if you hit the birds smack on the breast. I don't hunt much any more especially with the 223 as it's so bloody loud.

ith

Green Frog
08-06-2023, 03:33 PM
Wow Braddock, that mail boat was slow going East! Maybe this one will be quicker. I hear ya on firing that 223, but since I’m getting close to legally deaf anyway, I’d be more concerned about the bloody mess it would make of the game than the bloody noise it would make!

What’s the hunting situation there in the UK these days? Do you have to be a landowner (or good friend of one) to hunt, or are there places available for the common folk like myself? In my area, it’s not too hard to get hooked up with one of our local farmers (especially if you “know somebody who who knows somebody”). Shooting clubs for clay, steel and paper are reasonably close and the one to which I belong offers wide programs in all three.

I guess I’ll just have to try this 223 Ruger #3 on our 300 yd range. But I have been plotting for so very long to own a #3 in the versatile 327 Fed Mag chambering that if my health and finances last, it WILL be done! It took me too long to find and buy the suitable donor gun for this project to turn back now.

Froggie

braddock
03-11-2024, 05:51 PM
Mail boat still slow!! Hope your health is holding out.
It's not desperately difficult to get hunting, I belong to pigeon clubs where we are welcomed for crop protection but this is shotgun/airgun hunting.
Rifle shooting is a little more involved basically because the certificate (permit) we get for rifles has conditions attached, to use them for hunting written permission is needed so the police can add the condition to the certificate once that's done the other hoop you gotta jump through is the animals you can shoot, vermin destruction covers many things, deer and hogs have to be specified and there are agreed procedures and minimum calbers that can be used.
Many police forces insist on a hunting qualification which proves your competence and safety with rifles. That's not difficult understanding the calibers is.
We have 4 countries in the UK, England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
For england and wales the calibers are the same, for muntjac and chinese water deer minimum bore of 224 minimum muzzle energy of 1000 ft pounds, for the other deer minimum is 244 bore (6mm) minimum energy is 1700 foot pounds. It's very similar (but not identical) in NI but in Scotland it's a buggers muddle there are minimum energy requirements but also a minimum muzzle velocity of around 2450 fps which just about rules out old time calibers, some 30/30 scrape in but 600 NE doesn't neither does most 45/70 loads I don't even want to go there , suffice to say most full bore military calibers cut it plus all the other crap but TBH scotland isn't a place I want to return to for deer hunting. On top of all that all the countries specify a minimum bullet weight, I think it's 100 grains for 6mm up and 50 for 224 sized.
What everyone wants to get as a condition on their certificate is "any other legal quarry" or AOLQ.
I've managed to confuse myself so I'll add this link which can elucidate more :- https://bestpracticeguides.org.uk/feral-pigs/feral-pigs-shooting/
I have a 308 if I choose to hunt again plus the 223, 30/30 and 357 mag for the smaller deer. The Win 94 in 30/30 and the rossi R92 in 357 are both "made" for woods shooting in the UK, the 223 #3 is really handy but not so good at brush bucking as the other 2 but great for open field shots.
So the answer to your query is yes provided you manage your way through all that crap I mentioned. Otherwise the credit card rules and you can buy hunting really cheap as deer are being culled in ever greater numbers as they have absolutely no predators.
The minimum caliber for hogs in England and Wales was 270 win but I think that's been relaxed somewhat

15meter
03-11-2024, 06:48 PM
I’ve told this story before, but here goes. About 30+ years ago, Dad was the third owner of a #3 in 45-70. It came with the original box of factory ammo, with only 2 rounds fired. That should have been a warning to us. He shot it once and I shot it twice (I’m a slow learner!) and that carbine got swapped off with a box of 15 unfired rounds. I don’t need that kind of abuse.
Froggie

Waaaay late to the party, a buddy had a #3 in 45-70 that he loaded with full house #1 Ruger jacketed loads. I shot 1 (one!) and went looking for a shoulder to cry on and reduced loads.

Settled on 4.4 grains of Clays under a Lyman 457122. Made a very nice load.

After my buddy passed away I ended up with some of his loads, including the shoulder busters. I just disassembled the last of them this past winter. Best thing that happened to them.

pietro
03-11-2024, 08:18 PM
The only thing I didn’t like was how cramped the lever became when used with a pistol grip. Has anyone here tried to heat and reshape one of these levers?

Froggie

FWIW, the lever doesn't need to be re-shaped IME

Once upon a time, I bought a used #3 that some amateur had fitted an aftermarket PG buttstock on - and, as you said, the lever was cramped because the owner just installed the buttstock w/o adjusting the PG profile. (or shortening the extra-long LOP that the stockmaker left on the stock wood)

I cut the lower end of the PG to an angle equal to a straight line from the PG bottom flat to the top of the buttstock's heel after I shortened the stock to a 14" LOP - both of which operations also moved the fwd end of the PG bottom away from the lever towards the rear, thereby "un-cramping" the lever.