PDA

View Full Version : Mid range magnum vs full-house…

Krh1326
04-02-2023, 08:05 PM
Hi All,

An embarrassing question here…..
Do I have to load a magnum revolver cartridge, different for lever carbine?

I have come far, with reloading and casting boolits…. But I am still learning, everyday, and found myself questioning a particular application.

In my .357 revolver, I’ve settled on a nice load , using HP38, and a full house load, using H110.
I came across a forgotten goody…. My old beat on Rossi Puma M92, in .44 Mag.

I made up some rounds with a 250 gr MP mold. Loaded some with the HP38, and I made up some full house, with H110….. just like I do with my .357 revolver.

The HP8’s were really nice, and did well. The H110 rounds… well….. a nightmare, lol.
I honestly thought I broke my shoulder. The monster purple bruising, with that jaundice yellow trim? Yup. Now my Rossi has that steel buttplate, and that heavy crescent stock. I should have shouldered it, like a BP muzzy, but I didn’t.

Soooo…. Do cartridges for a carbine, have to be loaded differently ?

M-Tecs
04-02-2023, 08:11 PM
Depending on which levergun OAL case length can be an issue for feeding and bullet should have enough neck tension and or crimp to prevent the bullet from setting back in the mag. Other than that there shouldn't be a difference.

charlie b
04-02-2023, 08:22 PM
They don't have to be the same. Some guns, even different pistols, can prefer different bullets/loads. My father-in-law had a DA, SA and Marlin lever all in .357mag. Each of them liked a different load. The DA liked max 125gn loads. The SA liked mid range 158SWC loads. The Marlin likee heavy 158gn loads.

The differences were not huge. An example is the DA would shoot the 125gn into 2" at 25yd, but, 158gn would open it up to 3" or 4".

405grain
04-02-2023, 08:50 PM
Most any round that will work in a pistol should be safe in a rifle of the same caliber. However: since you can tailor your loads it only makes sense to make up ammunition that works best in your particular firearms. Generally speaking a curved steel buttplate with a maximum load is what I call a "shoulder plow". Mid-range, or even milder loads, would be much more enjoyable to shoot, and without the sharp recoil they would be likely to be more accurate too. Also, with the longer carbine barrel you can get magnum pistol velocities with those midrange loads; kinda like free velocity with less recoil. Personally, I'll take better accuracy over higher power on almost any occasion: better to get the hit than to make a bigger noise and miss.

gc45
04-02-2023, 09:09 PM
full house using h110 is a handful, handgun or lever. 405 is giving U good advice...

Krh1326
04-02-2023, 09:55 PM
Lol…
Let me tell you how surprised I was, with those H110 loads.

Tim357
04-03-2023, 11:40 AM
You may be able to fit an aftermarket buttstock with a shotgun butt to your rifle

racepres
04-03-2023, 12:38 PM
Listen to 405...
My levergun in 44 Mag can be Torture...or it can be mucho fun... I do Not load "painful" any more.. the Redhawk is much more pleasurable than the Lever Gun, with real Magnum loadings..

Jack Stanley
04-03-2023, 06:54 PM
The load for my .44 clocks at 900 FPS from a four inch barrel revolver . That same load does 1200 FPS from the 20 inch carbine barrel . Full power would be much more than I enjoy so I hold the throttle back . If deer hunting is what you're after , the carbine still knocks down Michigan whitetail .

Jack

Dom
04-03-2023, 06:59 PM
I got a slip on recoil pad for my Winchester44 mag rifle. Made a tremendous difference. I use different loads in my rifle than my hand gun. Just the way it worked out.

farmbif
04-03-2023, 07:16 PM
one of the beauties of reloading is you can load shells mild or wild. these days I mostly use be-86 powder for milder loads in 357, 41 and 44 mag and 4227, 2400, no9 or 300mp for full power loads. h110/296 is a good powder but you have a very limited load window usually just a couple grains from minimum to max for a safe load.
you can use the same cartridges in pistol or rifle, stick to published loads from one of the reloading books or the alliant or imrpowder web sites and you can be assured you loads are safe.

fredj338
04-04-2023, 07:35 PM
In a word, no. Any load you can run in your handgun you can run in the carbine.

GhostHawk
04-04-2023, 08:56 PM
Now my .44's are both Handi rifles, not Rossi levers. But both shoot 6.5 grains of Red Dot below a 200 or 220 gr cast boolit more accurately than I can hold.

And those loads are nice and easy on shoulders and ears.

Load to suit your guns and your shoulder. It isn't anyone else's business.

Winger Ed.
04-04-2023, 11:59 PM
. Do cartridges for a carbine, have to be loaded differently ?

No. The rifle will handle higher pressure, and you'll get more speed from the rifle than the same load in a handgun.

The big deal with loading hot rod ammo for the rifle is that if those loads found their way into a handgun- it could be problematic.
You could get in trouble the way you would by loading .357Mag loads in a .38Spec. case.
They might not be a big deal in the .357, but be a BIG problem if they found their way into a .38.

If ya read the sections for loading a handgun cartridge for a rifle- the load data gets right up to the edge,
but doesn't go past the max. pressures for a handgun.

For myself, I load under the max. for my handguns and just be happy with how they work in a rifle.
I figure if I want .444Marlin performance--- I'll buy one rather than trying to make my own from a .44Mag.

Jack Stanley
04-05-2023, 08:29 PM
Something else you should watch for the carbine . Any length can be single loaded directly into the chamber but from the magazine is another story .

I load the Lyman 429244 in the revolver to the length an old Lyman manual calls for , works great . Not so much in the carbine , I have to shorten the length so it doesn't get caught coming out of the magazine .

Jack