PDA

View Full Version : 357 Max stacked wadcutters looking for your thoughts

cumminsnut76
04-01-2023, 12:08 PM
Looking for some guidance, I have traditionally used speer shot capsules in 38 and 357 with 3 pieces of number 1 shot in them for fun rounds, however with the shotshells being hard to come by I have been venturing out into new ideas. With that I am thinking about doing is stacking short wadcutters in 357 magnum and in my 357 max. Anyone have any kind of load data suggestions for the 357max with 3 - 75gn wadcutters stacked up for a total weight of around 225gn? I can find plenty of gas checked and jacketed data but obviously this will be too fast for the naked based wadcutters. Am I even thinking properly????? Also a starting load data for a pair of them stacked in 357 mag would be appreciated as well. Data is out there for single bullets in that weight but I'm just looking for personal experience. Any tips and tricks welcomed. Planning to shoot the 357 max out of a 16" contender. 357 magnums are all revolvers 1 of which is a ported barrel. The speer capsules state to not use in a ported barrel. Any opinions on shooting these stacked wadcutters from a ported barrel?

Electrod47
04-01-2023, 12:43 PM
I have no experience with the Max, But I have loaded 3X75gr WC's in .357 magnum. Using published data (which is everywhere) with slight adjustments for payload weight, just treat it as a 225 grain bullet. My results in 6" 4" and 2" firearms where less than stellar. But, fun. For snakes. There is no pattern I could come up with. At 10ft they hold together, Beyond, they open up irregular. I was looking more for self defense aspect of having 3 projectiles instead of one doing some damage at close range. As far as magna-ported barrel, it should not effect anything, since they will be a solid leaving the barrel. Snake shot thru the magna-port might pose a problem for small shot or capsule plastic shards coming back at you

BLAHUT
04-01-2023, 01:58 PM
Looking for some guidance, I have traditionally used speer shot capsules in 38 and 357 with 3 pieces of number 1 shot in them for fun rounds, however with the shotshells being hard to come by I have been venturing out into new ideas. With that I am thinking about doing is stacking short wadcutters in 357 magnum and in my 357 max. Anyone have any kind of load data suggestions for the 357max with 3 - 75gn wadcutters stacked up for a total weight of around 225gn? I can find plenty of gas checked and jacketed data but obviously this will be too fast for the naked based wadcutters. Am I even thinking properly????? Also a starting load data for a pair of them stacked in 357 mag would be appreciated as well. Data is out there for single bullets in that weight but I'm just looking for personal experience. Any tips and tricks welcomed. Planning to shoot the 357 max out of a 16" contender. 357 magnums are all revolvers 1 of which is a ported barrel. The speer capsules state to not use in a ported barrel. Any opinions on shooting these stacked wadcutters from a ported barrel?

Many years ago I would load two round balls, spew to spew in my .45 colt. Used a light load and/or a black powder load. Do not remember how much. Was fun to shoot 6 shots and see 12 holes in the target.

Stephen Cohen
04-01-2023, 09:08 PM
You could try a tri ball load, just be sure you leave no gaps between the balls. Load data is easy enough jut weigh all three balls and use known data for that weight. I have tried this in my 357 revolver years ago but never in my max as it is has 21'' barrel and in my view defeat the purpose. Regards Stephen

TurnipEaterDown
04-01-2023, 09:28 PM
Make Sure that if you are using more than 2 balls to check available powder capacity left in the case. i.e. How much available case volume is Under the last ball.

I used multi ball loads in the 44 Rem Mag for a bit. 2 balls, right as rain.
3 balls, 1st shot pop, 3 holes case almost fell out. 2nd shot pop, 3 more holes, so didn't eject and fired the third. Pop, 3 holes. No significant recoil at all. Went to eject 2nd & 3rd case, no go.

Took SBH home, pounded the empty casings out of the cylinder. Cases had significant machining marks along the whole body, were 0.002" larger at mouth than normal high pressure loads, and had stretched (case #2) 1.269" to 1.282" (2 opposing sides, symmetrically) and (case #3) from 1.275" to 1.297" (one side). Primer APPEARED "normal". Cylinder star now imprinted on frame and gun "clicks" when cylinder is spun. Gun had not done this prevously w/ free spin pawl installed, but does now.
Otherwise gun seemed fine, but I think that I got lucky. Hopefully someone else doesn't have to.

Hypothesis is Probably too great of bullet intrusion (lack of remaining volume for powder) caused the high pressure.

The balls are round, and there will be space between the balls because they are Spheres contacting each other and are not Cylinders stacking w/o space. You can not use loads for an equivalent weight solid one piece bullet.

04-01-2023, 10:08 PM
In re: 75 grain wadcutters stacked. I've used load data for the total weight without any problem. A consideration, however, is the fact that the case walls thicken the closer you get to the base. What fit fine at the mouth of the case is tight as it gets deeper into the case overall. Only tinkering will give you the answer you are looking for. Never messed with .357 Max and multiple stacked wadcutters.

owejia
04-03-2023, 09:35 AM
Tried some in a j frame 38 spl. Stacked 2 end to end, didn't shoot as well as two .360 rbs. Round balls penetrate better in the jell test according to Fetcher's trials. This is my carry load in my j frame. Ten holes verses 5 holes.

Der Gebirgsjager
04-03-2023, 12:51 PM
Just one guy's opinion, but shooting two half-sized wadcutters at a snake 10 ft. away might result in a total miss. I'd strive mightily to find the makings for shot capsules!

DG

uscra112
04-05-2023, 02:52 PM
Stacking wadcutters results in an absurdly small powder space, so charges would have to be cut rather drastically. I just ran a crude 357Max example through Quickload - a 100% charge density of Lil'Gun got me only 950 fps out of a 12" Contender barrel. Tried it with Unique and pressure went to the moon. Blue Dot is about the fastest powder that's anywhere near safe.

Easy to buy gelatin capsules on-line. Just don't let 'em get wet. Could make paper capsules using papier-mache techniques. In the long ago all the pistol-caliber shot loads were in paper.

Charlie Horse
04-06-2023, 10:30 AM
Just curious. What do you use loads like this for?

lup
05-11-2023, 04:18 PM
Here is a factory shell example. https://www.ammoland.com/2011/03/tri-plex-multi-projectile-38-spl-cartridge/#axzz81R3D8EKj

The idea is to make a larger wound channel using the same size shell.

357 maximum if you have 3 bullets that nest like the picture you should have minimum powder space loss from an equivalent solid projectile.