PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro Auto paowder measure

dfwdon
02-07-2009, 05:39 PM
I have a Lee Pro Auto powder measure that seems horribly inacurate.
When I am using Win 231 powder and the .95 disk it is supposed to throw around 11 gr. What I actually get is about 5.3 grains.
Not sure if it is something I am doing wrong or have any of you also experienced these disks being so far off.

Even though it is way off , it is consistent.

Thanks,
Don:confused:

HeavyMetal
02-07-2009, 06:02 PM
some of the disks you are supposed to double up on. In this case if you used two disks you'd get your 11 grains? I have never had this type powder measure because I always seem to need a charge weight that isn't "preset" with the disks.

Suggest you play with disc combo's and see what you come up with.

dfwdon
02-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Will do. Thanks,
Maybe I should read a little more on it and doubling it makes sense but I don't recall the instructions saying to double to get to 11 gr.

Thanks again,
Don

Bill*
02-07-2009, 08:51 PM
According to one of the Lee "quick sheets" I have in front of me, a .49 disk throws around 5 grain of assorted powders so some thing aint right here. You may have a powder "bridge" blocking a full drop. Or possibly the soft white rubber "wiper" in the measure has folded in on itself or something. .95 should drop a lot more than that. Is it consistant?

Tom-n8ies
02-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Are you getting full travel of the disk?

Make sure it goes as far as possible both ways.

It is not uncommon for the disk to throw a slightly lighter than advertised charge in the table, but
half of the charge, something is wrong.

tom

Heavy lead
02-07-2009, 09:52 PM
I use this powder measure, actually have several of them. Something is wrong here. .95 should drop a lot more 231 than that and IME drop it pretty accurate.

hedgehorn
02-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I agree something is wrong here. I use these measures with my dillon 550 and they are as accurate as any. I would check to see if the disk is getting the full stroke as well.

dfwdon
02-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks all, when I changed the disk out and put .157 it throws right at 17 gr. the instructions says 16.9 so that one is pretty accurate.
I will reinstall the .95 and try again, and yes it was very consistent.

dfwdon
02-08-2009, 12:41 AM
OK, I took it apart again and carefully reinstalled the .95 disk. It is now consistently throwing Win 231 at 10.1 gr. It must have been the way I had it mounted or the small white wiper was folded as suggested by Bill*

Thanks all for the help and suggestions.