PDA

View Full Version : Another FFFG question

Knarley
02-07-2009, 02:55 PM
As long as one is drop tubing and compressing the load, what difference would what granulation you use make?
Seeing as how once the load has been dropped, the volume changes, I began to scale my loads for consistancy.
They still get dropped then compressed. Once squished, what difference would it be if it was triple or two F?
Regards:castmine:
Knarley

Don McDowell
02-07-2009, 03:05 PM
about 50-75 fps per 2-3 grs weight.

mooman76
02-07-2009, 04:05 PM
The powder is compressed but not supose to be crushed. There is still small amounts of inbetween space there.

badgeredd
02-07-2009, 05:02 PM
As long as one is drop tubing and compressing the load, what difference would what granulation you use make?
Seeing as how once the load has been dropped, the volume changes, I began to scale my loads for consistancy.
They still get dropped then compressed. Once squished, what difference would it be if it was triple or two F?
Regards:castmine:
Knarley

FWIW, I found in my 40-65 that the velocitiy of the 3f was about 35 to 50 fps fast than with 2f. Not really that much difference, but the extreme spread was much better with 3f. Just guessing here, but it seems to me that I must be getting a more consistant ignition of the powder using 3f. BTW both were the same weight (scaled). Maybe volume measure would give different results.

Also my 45-60 likes 2f better than 3f. I suppose the bore diameter has something to do with it, but I don't know for sure. At any rate, I'll continue with the 3f in the 40 and 2f in the 45.

Edd

Just thought of something else that may be a contributor, the barrel length of the 45 is much shorted than the 40. Got me guessing for sure.

rhbrink
02-07-2009, 08:45 PM
I never could make 3f shoot as well as 2f in my BPCR rifles.

Boerrancher
02-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Just from my little experience I have noticed that I can get more bang out of 3F out of my 45-70 military carbine, and it shoots good enough to hunt with, but it seems that the 2F does shoot a bit tighter groups.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

The Double D
02-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Faster burn rate with smaller grade is suppose to equal higher pressure...

hiram
02-10-2009, 09:04 AM
If you take a 3f and 2f load, the same by volume, the 3f load will weigh more. The powder grains of 3f are smaller, settle more closely together, and have smaller voids between the grains than 2f. Weight wise, you are getting more powder in the case.

Boerrancher
02-10-2009, 09:53 AM
If you take a 3f and 2f load, the same by volume, the 3f load will weigh more. The powder grains of 3f are smaller, settle more closely together, and have smaller voids between the grains than 2f. Weight wise, you are getting more powder in the case.

I use to think that. I set up my Lyman powder measure and was dispensing 70 grs of 3F by weight not volume, scaled each drop. I loaded 10 rounds of the 3F and emptied the powder measure, not changing the settings on the measure, and filled it with 2F. I figured I would have to increase the volume dropped due to the larger powder size. Boy was I wrong. A 70 gr sized charge of 3F, volume wise, held 74 grs of 2F. The 3F was Goex brand, and the 2F was the Graf's brand. I wouldn't think that brands would cause that much variation.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Don McDowell
02-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Hmm that is interesting. When I leave my measure set for 68 grs of Goex Cartridge and then fill it with 3f express, the express loads will weigh about 4 grs heavier.
Going to Grafs 2f there's not enough difference from Cartridge setttings to get excited about.

hiram
02-10-2009, 12:44 PM
In physics class I was taught that mass is weight. That is why I load bp by weight, not volume. I feel that if I need, let's say, 63 grains by weight of bp, than 63 gr by weight of 2f weighs the same as 63 gr of 3f. The volumes may be different, but 63 gr of energy is 63 gr of energy. If you set your volume meter at 63 for 2f, and then measure the same volume in 3f, you have two different weight of powder and 2 different energy levels. I'll stick to the scale.

montana_charlie
02-10-2009, 01:37 PM
A 70 gr sized charge of 3F, volume wise, held 74 grs of 2F. The 3F was Goex brand, and the 2F was the Graf's brand. I wouldn't think that brands would cause that much variation.
Swiss is said to be more dense than Goex. It may also be true with Graf's.
CM

boommer
02-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Yes if you take a measured volume lets say 60grs. of 3f and 2f and pour it down a drop tube then you will have less volume in that case with 3f because it stacks tighter and less voids in between kernels of powder. The other thing I've found is that lets say your using your Lyman 55 or such you need to tap your measure with something lightly with the handle up to settle the powder in the rotor, more consistent on volume. Compression is consistent on volume and how fast you let powder pour the powder into the tube, the slower you unload that rotor the tighter the powder stacks. I GOT'S TO GO IT'S 63 DEGREES OUTSIDE AND MY SCOOTTER CALLING ME!