PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 507 mold

Kuffar
03-26-2023, 12:38 AM
I picked up an old Lyman ST turret press along with some other stuff in a box. I got this stuff at a flea market last summer. Anyhow, buried in the bottom of the box was an old Lyman 2 chamber mold. The only markings on it are Lyman 507. I'm not sure what caliber this is. It appears to be around .30 cal. but I'm not certain. I haven't cast anything it it yet to mic. Since its steel I'll have to polish it up a bit. Any ideas? Thanks!

rintinglen
03-27-2023, 11:37 AM
The 507 is almost certainly an assembly number used to keep both sides of a mold together while it is being processed, as to what it is--it is anyone's guess. I have read that at one time Lyman sold blanks to DYI mold makers, so perhaps it is something like that. I know that they would make molds to an individual caster's specs for a considerable sum of money, this maybe such a mold, designed by a wealthy experimenter to test some personal theory. On the other hand, perhaps it is a Monday morning Mold, packaged and shipped by a hung-over warehouseman who didn't check to see that it was properly stamped. Or maybe it was a Lunch pail mold that followed a dishonest employee home. Or maybe it was a hectic Friday afternoon, and staff was hurrying to get everything mailed out. If you got it at an estate sale, the chances verge on a certainty that no one knows now.

Pictures would greatly help in identifying the design of the boolit.