PDA

View Full Version : Cimarron MP523 shooting low out of the box

Babbott213
03-26-2023, 12:21 AM
I bought a brand new Cimarron Model MP523. 44wcf on the black powder frame. I知 shooting 200 grain Missouri Bullets with 6 grain of Trailboss and it痴 shooting at least 8-10 inches low at around 20 yards. Is this normal for these pistols? I知 having to put half the front blade above the frame to even remotely hit where I知 aiming. I知 thinking about trying black powder rounds next and see how the do, but I just wanted to check here and see if anyone else has first hand experience with this model first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScrapMetal
03-26-2023, 03:23 AM
I'm not sure what "normal" would be on that particular pistol but in the past single action revolvers with fixed sights would leave their front sights a little high (and shoot low) so the end user could shorten it and make it hit to a particular load. Either that or you could adjust your load to try and bring it up a bit.

FWIW

-Ron

Nobade
03-26-2023, 06:52 AM
I bet if you loaded it with full power black powder loads it would hit right on.
I have the opposite problem, my SAA hits right on with poofter loads but hits a foot high with full power BP ammo.

bedbugbilly
03-28-2023, 11:30 PM
I'm not a 44 guy, but before you get your file out, maybe you should try a number of loads out with different powders to see where they hit. Most of the SAAs I've had have usually shot a tad high. Through playing around with different powders and boolit weights, I've been able to come up with decent accuracy as far as POA / POI. And on any SAA, a little Z"Kentucky windage" comes into play as well. Nobade makes a good suggestion as well - try some BP cartridges as well - you might be pleasantly surprised with a full BP load - worth a try! Good luck!

Wayne Smith
03-29-2023, 08:39 AM
I have a Uberti Cattleman in 7.5" barrel and in 4.75" barrel. Both have the same front sight. I had to file down the shorter barrel front sight.