PDA

View Full Version : Chili Relleno Soup

buckwheatpaul
03-25-2023, 05:31 PM
Found this recipe and tried it....it is so good!

Chili Relleno Soup
(Cooking Professionally)
Ingredients:
• 5 poblano peppers
• 2 T. light butter (2 flats = regular butter)
• 3 T. chopped onion
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tsp. ground cumin
• 4 C. chicken broth
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 12 oz. cooked chicken breast shredded (about 2 breasts)
• 8 T. light cream cheese, cut into cubes
• 4 C. shredded cheddar cheese, divided (save 1-1/2 C. for toping)
Directions:
1. Roast poblano peppers until skin is charred and blistered. You can do this over the open flame on a gas stove or by heating your broiler to high and place the poblanos within a few inches of the broiler and turning to get all sides charred.
2. Place the charred poblanos in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool. Rub the skin to remove as much as possible. Cut out seeds and place in a food processor or blender to finely chop. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and poblanos and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Stir in chicken broth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Add shredded chicken.
5. Add cream cheese and 2-1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese and whisk until smooth.
6. To serve, divide into 6 bowls and sprinkle each with ¼ C. shredded cheddar cheese. Sit briefly under the broiler until cheese is melted and browned (this step is optional but Oh So Good).

gwpercle
03-25-2023, 05:59 PM
Thanks for posting this one ...
Sounds like a Keeper for sure , Pablano peppers , chicken , cheese and easy to assemble !
Gotta try this one !
Gary

HWooldridge
03-25-2023, 06:11 PM
I would certainly eat that. Might also be good to add some pico de gallo on top.

Rapier
03-25-2023, 06:28 PM
I feel sorry for folks that miss eating good Mexican food on this earth. This sounds really good.

Txcowboy52
03-26-2023, 01:10 AM
I will absolutely try this ! I love chili rellenos, no doubt this will be amazing. Thank you for sharing!

GregLaROCHE
03-26-2023, 04:07 AM
Sounds really good!

farmerjim
03-26-2023, 06:51 AM
Looks good. I just planted 5 poblano pepper plants. ( to replace the 5 I planted before the late freeze)

Txcowboy52
03-28-2023, 04:25 PM
Wow that is some good soup! Just made a pot and it is as good as it sounds!

T-Bird
04-23-2023, 09:56 AM
I'm gonna try this!

HWooldridge
04-23-2023, 12:12 PM
I made a pot today but it’s still simmering. We’ll see how the grandkids like it with tortillas.

HWooldridge
04-23-2023, 01:39 PM
I made a pot today but it’s still simmering. We’ll see how the grandkids like it with tortillas.

And it was killer…even my wife ate a bowl (and she doesn’t like soup).

JimB..
04-23-2023, 04:21 PM
What does this mean..
“(2 flats = regular butter)”

DougGuy
04-23-2023, 06:14 PM
STOLEN!! LOL Well, not exactly but... Your recipe made me go look up a Chili Relleno Casserole and it looked interesting and easy, so I went to Compare Foods (Local Hispanic market) and got 6 big poblanos, some Queso Fresco and Cilantro to finish with, and I made the recipe. I will start another thread instead of hogging in with this one. Thanks buckwheatpaul! It's coming out of the oven in about 30mins.

Cosmic_Charlie
04-23-2023, 06:25 PM
Yes, I have made a casserole too and it was good. Our market only has Poblanos for a few weeks in the spring. Have to watch for them.

45workhorse
04-23-2023, 07:30 PM
Anything with Poblano peppers, as one of the main ingredients, has got to be good.

MT Gianni
04-23-2023, 08:36 PM
I really enjoy Chili Relleno casserole. It's quick and easy.

JimB..
04-24-2023, 12:12 AM
Just made this, or something close.
Bone-in thighs were on sale, so I browned 3 lbs of them in a dutch oven and saved enough of the rendered fat to saute the onions. Doubled everything except the cheddar cheese and I still think it a little cheddar forward. Overall, great soup!