PDA

View Full Version : Best wood scraper for dollar?

nekshot
03-24-2023, 10:51 AM
I am tired of using glass as wood scrapers and would like to try metal. I see a bunch of them for sale and I can only imagine the cheap metal in those. Any body have a recommendation for a good set?

LAGS
03-24-2023, 11:25 AM
I make wood scrapers out of old files.
I use either ones I wore out , or ones I found for almost nothing at yard sales.
In some cases ,
I ground them to special shapes or sizes for what I need to shape.
I shape them or sharpen the edges on my grinder or disk bench sander.
I have also sharpened them with my sidewinder grinder or even a disc or drum sander in my drill motor.
Making stuff like that is easy and gives you a side project to work on when you have spare time.
Plus it is recycling things to get more use out of them.
I have also used old knife blades I pick up at yard sales

waksupi
03-24-2023, 11:26 AM
I use Fisher type scrapers, easily made at home. I made several odd balls for specific jobs. Jerry had a wide selection in his shop he had made over the years.

https://kurtthegunsmith.com/7-essential-tools-for-the-beginner-stockmaker/

Der Gebirgsjager
03-24-2023, 11:43 AM
I gave up on using glass many years ago. I can't remember ever getting a serious cut, but the threat was always there. When I was gunsmithing I ordered a set of Fisher, and then later Bone, metal scrapers from Brownell's and used them with satisfaction for about 30 years. They can be sharpened with a bench grinder.

DG

Reg
03-24-2023, 11:57 AM
Just make what ever shape you want from a old hand saw blade. Easy to cut roughly to shape in a vise with a sharp cold chisel then finish grind on a bench grinder then “curl” the edge with a burnisher.

cub45
03-24-2023, 05:05 PM
I cut up a old hand saw to what i need , grind to what you need.

porthos
03-24-2023, 07:41 PM
as above; old handsaws. i cut mine with a cutoff wheel in a 4 inch dewalt grinder.

smokeeter
03-25-2023, 08:21 AM
power hacksaw blades are easy to shape and last quite well.

JimB..
03-25-2023, 10:56 AM
Bahco always made a good card scraper.

yovinny
03-25-2023, 12:41 PM
If you happen across anyplace that might get big heavy shippments, discarded pieces of the large size blued banding straps that are about 2" wide make excellent material for wood scrapers...And can be had Free.. ;)

GregLaROCHE
03-25-2023, 01:30 PM
Make your own with old saw blades.

Tokarev
03-27-2023, 07:06 PM
Broken metal saw blades make great scrapers either on their own or soldered or brazed to bars of mild steel. I usually braze and quench them after brazing. Thus they can be used for both wood and metal.

Rayant
03-27-2023, 08:14 PM
Mark Novak (YouTube) shows you how to make a scraper in Thoughts on Stock Sanding. He explains the process very well.

samari46
03-27-2023, 11:39 PM
Old blades from mowers should work. I got a couple really thick ones from the guy who does my repairs. He was going to scrap them and gave me couple. I was going to try and make a knife out of one. Frank

greenwart
03-28-2023, 08:28 AM
I helped my brother in law( who has no tools) strip and refinish a dining room table and got so frustrated I repurposed a 3" metal paint scraper. I took some sandpaper and squared the edge off and it worked really well. It has a little flex but not too much so you could follow some of the imperfections in the wood. I have an old set of Diston cabinet scrapers and they have a slight amount of flex. They are a bit harder than the paint scraper and and hold an edge longer. The main idea of the scraper is to get a fine burr edge to cut into the wood. I have used sections of hacksaw blade if I want something a little more flexible.

greenwart
03-28-2023, 08:39 AM
I was going to suggest the Diston cabinet scrapers that I have and did a search to see if they are still available. They are selling them for $28.50 or more on ebay. I didn't know they were made out of precious metal. So they are not in the cheap category any more.

Preacher Jim
03-28-2023, 11:49 AM
i make my own but friend came buy with a set he bought from grizzly cheap that worked well and easily resharpened

AJB
03-29-2023, 11:37 PM

I make them out of spade drills.

ebb
03-30-2023, 08:45 AM
Sandvic

Rapier
03-30-2023, 10:16 AM
I use old hacksaw or Skill saw blades, disk blades, etc. Cut the shape with an angle grinder the square the edge to the angle of the grip, wrap the grip with electrical tape.

nekshot
04-02-2023, 05:46 AM
Thanks for info, looks like I have the material in the shop for what I need. Maybe my old cabinet hand saw is in danger, nah that one is like a old friend.