PDA

View Full Version : 8.15x46r stop ring bullets

Kai
03-23-2023, 10:42 PM
Can someone explain the correct way to load/seat stop ring bullets in the 8.15x46r case? Thanks

barrabruce
03-24-2023, 09:50 AM
Well for my tapered and heeled bullets I either finger lube or dip lube.

Wipe the bum with a cloth on my knee then finger seat into primed and loaded cases without any sizing of cases.
I think your 815 ring bullet is ment to be loaded and shot as cast.

I use a simple de-repriming tool and a powder thrower or a dipper to load the case.
The base bands should fit in your fired case.
The ring stops on the case mouth and the bullet should seal in the throat /taper.
Something like that.

Usually I just pick up a bullet and scrape a bit of soft lube on the nose and finger lube and seat, if I’m just loading one case and using that.

I’m sure there is more complicated and tool intensive ways to do it thou.

If you just use a primer as a charge then the bullet should seat and seal the bore and your case will exit with pressure when the breach is opened.

Good luck with it.

Have fun

JSnover
03-24-2023, 10:19 AM
One description I've seen from a credible source:
Load the boolit a little long with only slight neck tension; don't seat it with the stop ring down against the case mouth.
When you chamber the round, the ring will stop when it hits the lip inside your chamber and the seating depth will be corrected as you close the breech.

Kai
03-24-2023, 10:33 AM
Thanks fellas. I figured thats pretty much what its all about. I've been reloading a long time for many cartridges but just now getting a lesson in loading for schuetzen as I have an older friend who has several rifles and the supplies to load for them but has lost confidence in reloading for himself.

hrkflyer
03-25-2023, 03:23 PM
Does anyone know where I can find either 8.15x46r ammunition or molds to make bullets? Just bought a gun but haven’t cast yet to know what size bullets I will need.

marlinman93
03-25-2023, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know where I can find either 8.15x46r ammunition or molds to make bullets? Just bought a gun but haven’t cast yet to know what size bullets I will need.

I use .32-40 brass and 8.15x46R dies. My bullets aren't stop ring, and never needed them. Use 170 gr. cast bullets sized to .316" for my gun, but you need to slug the bore to see what diameter yours takes.

uscra112
03-25-2023, 11:55 PM
I've always thought that a stop ring bullet was intended to eliminate the need to size the case after every shot.

JSnover
03-26-2023, 06:45 PM

Buffalo Arms (BACO) has the molds if you'd like to try the stop ring type boolits. Loaded ammunition might be impossible to find but brass is out there.