PDA

View Full Version : Reloading over carpet

ghh3rd
02-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I've got my equipment, now I have to figure out where to set it up. My only options seem to be in carpeted areas.

Since vacuuming gun powder is a no-no, how would you safely clean up any residual that could possibly wind up on the floor?

Thanks,

Randy

Shiloh
02-07-2009, 11:25 AM
I reload over carpet. I also vacuum up spilled powder. How else does one get it up from carpet?? I have never had a problem doing this. There have never been explosions or fires.
How much are you speaking about??

I have however, set off primers with the vacuum. This will get your attention and scare the bejeezers out of you.

See these threads
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40542&highlight=vacuum+powder
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=20440&highlight=vacuum+powder

Shiloh

HeavyMetal
02-07-2009, 11:35 AM
If you keep your reloading area fairly well organized, and cleaned regularly, a little powder won't be an issue.

A plus to the carpet is it act's like a cushion when you drop something, but small stuff can be real hard to find!

When I had a reloading station in the house it was in a small back room that was more a walk in closet than room and was perfect for reloading. I went to harbor freight and bought some of the interlocking "rubber" tiles they sell and covered the floor with them.

These "tiles" are about 2 foot square and come for to a package and can be laid out in a line, a square or can be cut to suit. They do not need to be glued or nialed down and provide a comfortable surface to stand on, a soft place for boolits and primers to land on, and can be picked up single and taken outside to be washed off!

Price was about 9 bucks a package last time I looked, get some you'll be a happy guy!

cbrick
02-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Hhmmm . . . I've never had a carpeted loading room but has anyone given any thought to static electricity? Especially in winter when the house is heated and the humidity is low and you walk across the carpet and touch a door knob . . . crack . . . oh I hate that. What about working with powder with low humidity and a carpeted floor? I have never heard of this happening but possibly an interesting scenario?

My loading room floor is rubber and there is a rather large fire extinguisher about two feet from my bench.

Rick

jonk
02-07-2009, 01:20 PM
No problems. If I spill some powder I sweep up as much as possible, and vacuum the rest. Modern vacuums have the motor isolated and insulated from the chamber. And even if it DID set some off, in a big shop vac it isn't going to make a big problem, I mean unless you try vacuuming up a whole can.

Bill*
02-07-2009, 02:16 PM
I've got W2W carpet where I reload, and never had a problem with static or the vacuum cleaner (course I aint the one who vacuums:mrgreen:). I'm sure I'll be "notified" pronto if it ever causes a boom. I dont spill so much that it could make it off the bench anyway.

Crash_Corrigan
02-07-2009, 03:28 PM
I cast in a carpeted room. Before I start I lay down about 3 layers of newspaper over the floor in the area where I cast. If any lead falls to the floor it is caught by the newsprint and can easily be removed and put back into the pot.

I had previously just worked ove the carpeting but some larger chunks of lead had eaten holes in the carpeting and became difficult to remove so I went to layering the floor with newspaper. No problems now.

The newer synthetic carpeting will melt and cause a permanent scar in the carpeting so to preserve it cover it with something. Even an old sheet or some toweling will work but do something or else the SWMBO will evict you to the porch or garage or driveway.

Flinchrock
02-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I've got my equipment, now I have to figure out where to set it up. My only options seem to be in carpeted areas.

Since vacuuming gun powder is a no-no, how would you safely clean up any residual that could possibly wind up on the floor?

Thanks,

Randy

I would vacuum it up.

waksupi
02-07-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/sparks/sparks.html

badgeredd
02-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Just thinking about the clean up of lost powder and I wonder why a plastic runner couldn't be laid next to the bench to make clean-up easier. Just a thought.

Waksupi,

Thanks for the link....I kinda wondered about the static build-up myself. Pretty much answered that one with the link.

Edd

shotman
02-07-2009, 07:56 PM
If you load shotshell carpet is a must. A small 2 1/2 gal shop vac is the best , that way you can pick up all the shot, powder, and LOST parts . It finds thing you dont know you lost. rick

HeavyMetal
02-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Cbrick:
You might want to rethink the fire extinguisher in the reloading room!

smokeless powder, through it's own chemical make up, contains oxygen. Once ignited you cannot put it out or so I'm told.

A fire extinguisher is only going to cause it to spread.

Had a buddy set his powder measure on fire. Burned like a rocket engine and put a 2 inch diameter hole through both floors of the house plus roof!

He was able to keep the whole deal contained to just that much damage, had he hit it with an extiguisher he might have been homeless!

The real fire works started when SWMBO got home and found a smoldering hole in her side of the bed!

Bill*
02-07-2009, 08:22 PM
I think once the powder started burning I'd be long gone. I have an extinguisher next to my bench to keep a fire from getting there[smilie=1:

BruceB
02-07-2009, 10:47 PM
This thread brings back memories from many years back.

Not actually "reloading", but my good ol' pal Sylvano bought a nice new Lyman/Saeco melting pot, which he simply HAD to try out immediately. He set it up in the living room on a card table, over his wife's NEW (ten days?) carpet.

It was a bit of a stretch to the nearest power outlet, but he made it. Just as things got nicely liquefied, the phone rang and he made a dash for it. The "dash" intersected the stretched-out power cord....are you ahead of me?

Yep...twenty pounds of liquid linotype makes quite a statement in the middle of the living-room carpet. A NEW new living room carpet was installed within days, but the doors to the doghouse and the bedroom took a bit longer to get unlocked.

Those who merely "reload" over the carpet are rank amateurs. I'll save my praise (and prayers) for the intrepid souls who believe they can CAST over Mama's broadloom...they're gonna need all the help they can get.

BTW, I've vacuumed-up powder for decades without incident. Just be aware and prepared for the fact that you're NOT dealing with dust bunnies. Have a reaction prepared, just in case.

Tom W.
02-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Bunch of wusses..... my loading/ casting/ computer/ gun/ whatever room is carpeted and it is MINE! My wife is afraid to come in here.. says something about the BATF and FBI and raids and terrorists and some such mutterings....

Heavy lead
02-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Bunch of wusses..... my loading/ casting/ computer/ gun/ whatever room is carpeted and it is MINE! My wife is afraid to come in here.. says something about the BATF and FBI and raids and terrorists and some such mutterings....

Attaboy Tom, mine's not carpet (it's in the basement), but my wife is the same, she see's the sign "no girls allowed".

DLCTEX
02-08-2009, 08:50 AM
I use a Shop Vac and the dust bags that go inside the canister. Those bags will catch even the fine dust from sanding drywall and nothing goes through the impeller, just the hose. To reduce static electricity in carpet, and vehicle seats, mix liquid fabric softener with water and mist it over the area with a spray bottle, then let dry.

Dan Cash
02-08-2009, 10:26 AM
I vacuum as I please but did pick a vacuum that has the filter infront of the suction fan. A machine that passes the dirt through the fan on the way to the bag ala Kirby are quite entertaining to use; especially if you can get an inexperienced person to run the machine.

atr
02-08-2009, 01:19 PM
MY garage, and reloading area are totally OFF LIMITS to wife....

I do my casting on a wood bench made from sold fir hard enough it wouldn't know how to burn...
I always use carpet scraps around my reloading area....nothing worse than having a newely formed case or boolit hit the concrete floor....and dropped primers don't go far on the carpet.

cant say I've ever used a vacume in the garage to clean up spilt powder,,,more a broom and dust pan

FromTheWoods
02-08-2009, 07:16 PM
waksupi provided a link to information I disagree with.

My oldest son loves to "invent" creative methods of using up gunpowder. (Since 2001 though, we've slowed way down on our inventions.)

One of his ignighting methods was to induce an electrically produced spark--worked quite well for black and smokeless powder--BOOM!

We too just vacuum the powder off the rug.

smokemjoe
02-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I once had a mobil home, One bedroom I made into a gun room and reloading, It had carpet floor, One day it was hot and dry in it, I smashed a primer in the primer arm in a herters press. I picked up a tweester to pick out the primer,Soon as I almost touched it I seen a spark jump off it and it set the primer off with a big BANG. Sure glad I wear glasses, I still have carpet to stand on but now hand prime with a Lee capper. Be carefull, Joe

GSM
02-09-2009, 01:37 AM
A small portable vacuum cleaner works well. Not a lot of concern over static - I keep the humidifier on most of the time in the winter. I love the natural gas heating, but it is a very "dry heat".

If you drop a primer on the carpet, stop what you are doing and pick it up right then. Don't rely on memory as to where it bounced.

BrittanieBrummer
11-02-2016, 04:09 AM
A best vacuum cleaner always works well.

No Blue
11-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Step on a primer, hard floor, no shoes, then get back to us about carpeted floors....

too many things
11-02-2016, 09:32 PM
wow where did this get dug up 2009

JimB..
11-02-2016, 11:05 PM
A best vacuum cleaner always works well.

Welcome to the forum.

Hick
11-03-2016, 01:30 AM
I reload in a carpeted room also-- but I have a little throw rug I keep in that corner of the room. If I spill something I can take the throw rug outside and shake it out--- then just vacuum up what little got past the throw rug. My casting, however, I do out in the barn.

CASTER OF LEAD
11-03-2016, 03:54 AM
My Reloading/casting room is carpeted. However I simply put down a sheet of plywood (cut to fit ) under and around my bench. Serves 2 purposes 1. Rolling chair moves with ease. 2. Makes clean up of any above mentioned items easy to clean up. Additionally it lessens any static build up. Just my .02 - CASTER

Kevin Rohrer
11-03-2016, 04:06 PM
Vaccuming is not a problem. If you feel it is, put down a plastic runner.

country gent
11-03-2016, 07:40 PM
If your using a shop vac 2"-3" of water in the bottom of the tank will trap any "flamables" and help keep them from passing thru the motor. We have used this to suck bees out of brick work, just dont shut the vacum off for a few hours till they have all drowned.

browntown
11-07-2016, 01:14 AM
The loading room is carpet, it is also the "cat room" where the litter boxes, food and water dishes reside. It's a mess. Between tracked litter and #8 shot, the carpet is full of stuff that would destroy the wife's vaccuum. Because of concern that the lead shot would destroy the motor on the wife's vacuum, I bought a small shop vac that stays up there for spills. When she would go over that carpet with the regular vacuum, one would here that shot spinning and banging inside the machine. I recently bought the cheapest bagless tornado style vacuum I could find at the box store just for that room. That way if I destroy it, it'll only be a 40$ loss. Also I intend to bolt a baking tray under the MEC 9000 that likes to dump shot when I get careless and short stroke the operating handle.

Short answer, if you're worried about it, use a shopvac. One day I may splurge and put a wall mounted GUV in the room.

r1kk1
11-07-2016, 09:42 AM
I bought a huge roll of almost clear vinyl/rubber floor that fits under the bench and almost to the end of a 12x12 room. I think Staple's, Office Depot/Max sold it. Chairs could glide over it easily. I can't recall the name but it worked.

take care

r1kk1

paul h
11-11-2016, 08:10 PM
Cbrick:
You might want to rethink the fire extinguisher in the reloading room!

smokeless powder, through it's own chemical make up, contains oxygen. Once ignited you cannot put it out or so I'm told.

A fire extinguisher is only going to cause it to spread.

Had a buddy set his powder measure on fire. Burned like a rocket engine and put a 2 inch diameter hole through both floors of the house plus roof!

He was able to keep the whole deal contained to just that much damage, had he hit it with an extiguisher he might have been homeless!

The real fire works started when SWMBO got home and found a smoldering hole in her side of the bed!

All good and well unless after the powder burns up, the powder started something else burning that you can put out with the fire extinguisher.

I load the garage with anti fatigue mats on the concrete. No problem cleaning up spilled powder and cushions your feet as well as whatever you drop off the bench.

3jimbo3
11-20-2016, 09:58 PM
Well.....I managed to destroy a washing machine and a dish washer and I'm no longer allowed to use either one.:mrgreen: I also run multi million dollar cranes and handle millions of dollars worth of materials at work every day, I leave grass laying on the lawn one time and I'm not capable of mowing the lawn any longer. I still have to use the vacuum though. So in my infinite wisdom, when I was still allowed to reload in the house, I dump about 20 or so live primers in the floor. I fire up the wife's sweeper style vacuum and proceed to clean under my table. To make a long story short, it destroyed the Hoover and I had to use my reloading fund to replace the broken appliance. I think she's on to me guys, I had to move to the garage too!
Never had a problem with powder though, I try not to spill too much anyway, it's precious.

KenH
11-21-2016, 10:50 PM

Sounds like my wife talking there - She's always talking about the Feds raiding our house because of all the stuff I order - mostly just ham radio parts and gun related stuff.

and she has NO say over my reloading room.... That is MY ROOM - and it is W2W carpet!!! Of course, she does have everything else {g}

Doggonekid
11-22-2016, 12:55 AM
I only vacuum my gun room when my wife is not looking. I don't want her to know I can operate one. Powder has never been a problem, but along with the rest of the guys I too have heard loud bang or two in the vacuum when I find a live primer.