PDA

View Full Version : .500 S&W Raging Hunter

Targa
03-23-2023, 12:47 PM
I know that there is not a huge interest in the .500 S&W but for you big bore aficionados what are your thoughts on the new release of this Taurus? If these sell in the ballpark of $900 like the rest of their Raging Hunter line up, I am probably in line for one mainly because they will be offered in barrel lengths that S&W has left out of their line up and saving a few hundred bucks doesn’t hurt either.

FarNorth45
03-24-2023, 01:51 AM
I have not shot and do not know anything about the Taurus...... but this last weekend my buddy came over with his 460magnum and 500 Smith..... the 460 had a 8" barrel with a muzzle brake . The 500 Smith had like a 3" barrel .
He was warning me about the recoil of the 460 with hot loads .... I shot it a few times and grinned to myself.
I handed him my Freedom arms model 83 in 475 linebaugh with 400gr bullet @ 1350fps and grinned. Boy did he get a surprise ha!ha
The 500 Smith/460 magnum feels tame ... do to the weight when you compare it to a lighter 475linebaugh.
I personally find the 500 Smith pleasant to shoot .... unless you really want to shoot really heavy hot loads in it . That's just my opinion and his to after shooting my pistol lol

Targa
03-24-2023, 08:33 AM
I noticed the same with the Xframe .460. Due to the weight of the gun, 8 3/8” barrel, muzzle brake it is a fairly tame recoil. Now the blast from the thing was something else.

Iwsbull
03-24-2023, 10:05 AM
I have yet to try the big S&W magnums but had heard they were not too terrible on recoil but that the heft and muzzle blast was much less than pleasant. I find muzzle blast to be more unpleasant than recoil hence I have no ported firearms.
Not saying I will not buy one but a 5” BFR short cylinder at 50 ounces is about as heavy as I care to tote.