PDA

View Full Version : Man you guys were right about MP molds!

lancem
03-23-2023, 09:00 AM
Ordered on Sunday received on Wednesday, from Slovenija to Texas in 3 days, I don't get my Amazon things that fast. And the mold, OMG, it's my first brass mold but it was like holding gold in my hand. It's the first HP mold of this type that I've ever used so I curious how it's going to work and choosing which pins to try first, this is all too much fun!

But first, advise please, how to properly start with my new brass mold. And the HP pins, exactly how do you cast with them?

Recycled bullet
03-23-2023, 09:04 AM
Hot and fast. Please read "so I'll be raining bullets".

Targa
03-23-2023, 09:13 AM
MP molds are outstanding! I clean mine well with acetone and a clean, brush from my gun cleaning kit. After it’s clean I heat cycle it on a hot plate a couple of times to give it a bit of patina this is suppose to help with the mold break in and to facilitate releasing your cast bullets, I don’t know if this makes much of a difference or not but I do it. Before casting I color the HP pins with a lead pencil to help facilitate the bullets dropping off the pins and then I get the mold up to around 400 degrees on the hot plate while my lead melts in the pot. I would also add to get a diffuser plate to put ove the hot plate and set the mold on, it distributes the heat from the hot plate evenly. I use the one in the attached link https://www.amazon.com/Heat-Equalizer-Diffuser-Stove-Electric/dp/B0B1ZWKRQJ/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?keywords=heat+diffuser+plate&qid=1679577140&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRjEyVzk5SUZEMjZSJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDk5NDg5RlROMUlBREVCSjJQJmVuY3J 5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwODQ0NzdUN1gwNjRJQlJHWU8md2lkZ2V0T mFtZT1zcF9tdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3R Mb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Misery-Whip
03-23-2023, 09:42 AM
Keeping the heat in the pins is key. I use a single burner hotplate with an old sawblade on top for preheating. Mold opened about 1/4 inch and the sprue plate closed.

Sometimes a propane torch is needed to warm the pins a bit more.

dannyd
03-23-2023, 09:46 AM
Ordered another Mould from MP on Monday out for delivery today.

Gamsek
03-23-2023, 11:06 AM
Lancem, on MP web page you can find instructions under tips&tricks…..

https://www.mp-molds.com/tipstricks/general-advice-for-using-brass-hp-hollow-point-moulds/

Preheating on the hot plate is essential for pins to get and stay hot. Make sure shafts are sliding in and out without any force.

For HP spins: Pour, weir for sprue to freeze, cut, tap tap on the hinge bolt (mould will start to open) then turn around the mould and tap tap again, with short pins they usually fall out, (longer pins-I push the shafts).

dannyd
03-23-2023, 12:05 PM
Just got my mould today :)

openbook
03-23-2023, 02:14 PM
Be patient with the break in, you just have to cast with it. Mine was sticky for the first three casting sessions. After pushing through, it casts like a dream. Prior to first cast I did a good cleaning and the hot plate cycle, three cycles. I did not color the pins with graphite, chalk, etc.

lancem
03-23-2023, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys, hopefully in the next couple of days I'll have time to break it in, can't wait! I can do some easy heat cycling right now and have that done.

dannyd
03-23-2023, 03:54 PM
Pin moulds are painful but do work with time and patience's

GregLaROCHE
03-24-2023, 10:14 AM
If they have it in stock, you’ll get it right away. I only object to having to pay the same shipping as to the US and I’m only next door. Still, they have good deals on quality molds. If I should buy another mold I will be considering them.

dannyd
03-24-2023, 11:03 AM
If they have it in stock, you’ll get it right away. I only object to having to pay the same shipping as to the US and I’m only next door. Still, they have good deals on quality molds. If I should buy another mold I will be considering them.

Drive over and pick it up. :)

GregLaROCHE
03-24-2023, 02:20 PM
Drive over and pick it up. :)

I actually thought about it just to see there operation.

kevin c
03-25-2023, 01:51 AM
I’ll be taking a trip in the area, and, believe me, I’m tempted.

Though, being a small operation (1-2 people?), I’m a bit hesitant about being a disruption and interruption.

45workhorse
03-25-2023, 02:58 AM
Hollow point pins can have a burr on them, sometimes.. Chuck in a drill motor and buff them out on a piece of leather or buffing wheel! Doesn't take much.
Cast HOT!