PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian 1908 Carbine

StarMetal
01-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Okay, this is an update on the Brazilian Mannlicher Carbine I made and scoped. Even thought the barrel is brand new it's groove diameter is .289. I have and like the Lyman 287405, as it's shot subperb in other 7mm's for me, but it drops at .285. I wouldn't shoot good in the carbine so I made a bump up swaging die on my lathe to .290 diameter. Went I tried those bumped up bullets today and my group so far shrunk from like 4 to 5 inches at 100 yards to about an inch today and that was with 3 different first try loads and fire forming some military cases. So I do believe with some fine tuning on the loads this little baby will be shooting just fine. It's amazing how much muzzle blast and noise there is from a 20 inch barrel on a 7x57.

Joe

Buckshot
01-21-2006, 06:10 AM
..............Good work Joe. Gotta see pictures of that die. How are ya ejecting the bumped boolit?

................Buckshot

StarMetal
01-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Buckshot,

I'll post a pic when I get around to it. Anyways the nose punch has a long stem on it that protrudes up out of the top of the die. After swaging up a bullet a few taps on that stem with a little brass hammer ejects the bullet.

Joe

africa
01-27-2006, 09:21 PM
kind of odd, groove diameter of .289 in your 1908 Brazilian Mauser. Brazilian gov. specs at
DWM factory were groove diam. of .286. Anyway, provided a good barrel, they shoot great.
I have one, sporterized, that with cast linotype GC bullets sized .287" and 45 gr. of IMR 4831 averages 1.5" five shot groups at 100 meters. Nose diameter of the bullet is of utmost importance. Unless it matches exactly the bore diameter of my rifle, accuracy suffers. Have a good time with yours!

StarMetal
01-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Well we done some measuring once on the forum because we were going to design a heavy 7mm bullet for the old 7x57 milsurp rifles. Oldfeller asked that we slug the bores and do a chamber/throat cast. That carbine of mine had a serial number of only 3 digits, in the very low 900's. The rifle was mismatched parts, but the barrel was original and you have to figure it was on that action for alot of years especially being a low serial number action and it's groove diameter miked the same as that brand new barrel .2885 to .289. and it was in really good shape. We found alot of 7x57 barrels on 93's 95's and 98's mike out fat, not everyone mine you but alot.

Joe