PDA

View Full Version : Turret Press?

Dancing Bear
03-21-2023, 12:30 PM
After many years of using my Redding Boss single stage press I'm thinking of buying a turret press just to reduce having to screw the dies in and out. Getting too old for that and a lot of other things. Looking at the Lee Classic Turret Press.
Thoughts? Recommendations?

NSB
03-21-2023, 02:08 PM
If you can swing it, look at the Redding turret press. I’ve owned a dozen different presses in my life (including two Dillons) and have had as many as three on my bench at one time. I’m now down to just the Redding. It does everything I need it to do. It’s plenty fast for loading, and now that I’m not shooting CF competition anymore it loads everything I need with ease. The quality and service are outstanding.

ukrifleman
03-21-2023, 02:19 PM
I use a Lee Classic turret press to load 14 calibres and can highly recommend it.

Once the dies are set up in the turret, it takes only seconds to swap calibres.

For pistol calibres, I use a Lee auto disk powder measure mounted onto the turret with the indexing rod installed, (this moves the turret on to the next die when you move the handle)

I can crank out 150+ 45 Colt rounds an hour with this set-up.
ukrifleman

omgb
03-21-2023, 02:26 PM
Buy the Redding T7 and don't look back. I have two. I've had lots of other presses too. The T7 does it all and produces perfect ammo. You may decide not to buy the slide primer. I have mixed feelings about it. The dang thing gets in the way. There is a Teflon bushing kit available for $20 that really makes that turret glide like butter.

kentfielddude
03-21-2023, 02:55 PM
+1 for the lee classic turret. It works well. Only annoying thing is the indexing rod uses a square piece of plastic to engage the grooves o the indexing rod which I find I have to replace every 1500 rounds or so.

openbook
03-21-2023, 03:22 PM
I'm a fan of the Lee Classic Turret. It's solidly built, easy to set up and enjoyable to use. Instead of screwing each die in, you pop all four dies in, already set in their turret, in about 15 seconds. I'm not familiar with Redding turret presses but I looked up the cost of a new T-7 turret and it's $100. Per turret. The Lee four-hole turrets are $13 right now.

This Youtuber reviews the Lee Classic Turret here. He's done a number of videos on it and has a lot of good things to say about it. This one is the most recent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJokIZ7nLxE

NSB
03-21-2023, 03:37 PM
The Redding turret head holds 7 dies. That’s why it’s called the T7. Extra turret heads allow another seven dies to be ready at a moments notice and take about 2-3 minutes to change. The biggest advantage Lee ever had against anything else is that they’re cheap….in both cost and quality. Yes, they work but you get what you pay for.

Sam Sackett
03-21-2023, 07:36 PM
The Redding turret head holds 7 dies. That’s why it’s called the T7. Extra turret heads allow another seven dies to be ready at a moments notice and take about 2-3 minutes to change. The biggest advantage Lee ever had against anything else is that they’re cheap….in both cost and quality. Yes, they work but you get what you pay for.

I beg to differ. The Lee Classic Turret press is one of the Best Buy’s in todays market. I have one and it’s very solid and dependable. The cost is $200 or less. Extra turrets are around $15. They are all the average reloader needs. If you need speed or supreme accuracy, you need to spend a whole lot more. I shoot cowboy action. I also reload for many rifle and pistol calibers. I use a progressive press for my blasting ammo. I use the turret for most of my pistol ammo. I use a single stage for my high accuracy loads.

If I could only have one press, it would be the turret press. Use it with the auto advance, or remove the rod and either manually advance or single stage. It’s a very versatile piece of equipment. Don’t bash it unless you had used one and can say what you don’t like about it.

Sam Sackett

porthos
03-21-2023, 07:43 PM
any thoughts on a old texan turret press?

Streetwalker
03-21-2023, 08:24 PM
I have a Redding T7 turret press that I received as a Christmas present. Best Christmas present I ever got! Built like a tank, seven die positions, easy to use and maintain..what's not to like?

almar
03-21-2023, 08:33 PM
+1 on the t7. I should have bought one a long time ago. It's a great press and a joy to use. I was contemplating the lyman, the t7 and the area 419. The 419 is top of the line but too expensive, the lyman had some complaints and is pretty new still. The t7 is time tested and good quality so I chose that one.

DougGuy
03-21-2023, 08:34 PM
I was wanting one of the Lee original turret presses without the auto index. Have looked at a few of them go for around $75 which is just WAY too much.

So now I go to fleabay just to look, and here is this rusted POC non-indexing Lee press, for $130. That's not a deal that is an INSULT.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-21-2023, 08:45 PM
Really happy with my Lee Turret. Load around 12 calibers and enjoy trying different loads, so I am always swapping out turrets. Around 200 pistol rounds per hour without too much trouble once I get the autodrum adjusted which only takes a couple minutes. I place the primers by hand because the primer feed mechanism looked cumbersome to me. Ironically, I rarely drop small primers, but manage to drop one or two out of a hundred large primers. They seem to stick to my finger for some reason. Still on my original ratchet after probably 10-15,000 rounds. I’ve got some spares. Maybe that is why it hasn’t failed? Early on someone mentioned not getting any oil on it as it would soften and wear out faster. Some folks are probably easier with the handle than others as well.

Also have a RCBS Jr that I put the kids on occasionally to size boolits and what not. The Lee has quite a bit more leverage.

ulav8r
03-21-2023, 10:54 PM
Who makes a 7 die set, or a six die set? Are there maybe 5 die set forming dies? I have heard of 4 die sets.

deces
03-21-2023, 11:05 PM
I was wanting one of the Lee original turret presses without the auto index. Have looked at a few of them go for around $75 which is just WAY too much.

So now I go to fleabay just to look, and here is this rusted POC non-indexing Lee press, for $130. That's not a deal that is an INSULT.

In recent years Lee presses are hot sellers.

omgb
03-21-2023, 11:34 PM
I load my T7 as follows: size/decapping, powder/expander, bullet feeder, seating die, crimping die. I need two open holes to get clearance for the powder measure and the bullet feeder. That’s for pistol. For .348 Win I set it up this way: size/decapping, powder drop, belling die, bullet seater, crimp die. I leave an open station on either side of the powder drop. I insert a case and rotate the turret head all the way through.

For 45-90 I decap powder off the press, compress the powder on the press, add a wad, bell the case, seat a bullet

I use the on press primer occasionally. I’ve had a Lee. I broke too many plastic parts. I had two LNLs but spent way too much time tweaking them. I still have a Rockchucker. It’s great for detail work but it is too shallow for 45-90 and too slow for volume pistol. The T7 is just a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trails4u
03-21-2023, 11:47 PM
I'd say 90% of what I load is on a Lee Turret... It's fast and accurate for pistol and rifle plinking, but I can also run it pseudo single stage and crank out sub-moa stuff without much fuss. It would be my only press if I could have only one'

jetinteriorguy
03-22-2023, 07:33 AM
The Lee Classic cast turret is the one press I will never get rid of. It’s perfectly capable of producing MOA or better ammunition in every caliber I have.

460S&W
03-22-2023, 08:00 AM
I’m going to throw another in the ring for the Lee Classic turret, great press for the money if you don’t want to go progressive.

Dancing Bear
03-22-2023, 08:21 AM
Thanks all for your input. Going to go with the Lee Classic. Can't justify spending a ton of money at this point and it seems like it'll fit my needs just fine. Not really sure how I'll set it up since my current process is:
1. Universal die deprime
2. Wet tumble
3. Prime using Lee Auto Bench Primer
4. Either set aside for later or proceed to loading.

On video's I see reloaders deprime then size and prime as the next step. Don't they have primer pocket crud issues? I always cleaned after depriming even when I dry vibed.

gunther
03-22-2023, 08:34 AM
A shooting buddy has a couple of those distinguished medals (.22 and .45, halfway on revolver), and mentioned once that he never bothered with cleaning primer pockets

OS OK
03-22-2023, 08:38 AM
After many years of using my Redding Boss single stage press I'm thinking of buying a turret press just to reduce having to screw the dies in and out. Getting too old for that and a lot of other things. Looking at the Lee Classic Turret Press.

I like the Lyman T-Mag II, it is the workhorse of the press table...working up loads as it's shown here or mount a dispenser on the turret and make large batches. The turret has a snugging nut under the back of the turret across from the die station your using and adjusting that nut takes all the slop out of the turret top. Extra turrets are available too.

https://i.imgur.com/UX5AKJyh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BddwHGHh.jpg

Soundguy
03-22-2023, 10:05 AM

I love my lee 4 hole classic. Buy a tool head disc for each caliber you shoot then no more shuffling dies around so much.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Thanks all for your input. Going to go with the Lee Classic. Can't justify spending a ton of money at this point and it seems like it'll fit my needs just fine. Not really sure how I'll set it up since my current process is:
1. Universal die deprime
2. Wet tumble

On video's I see reloaders deprime then size and prime as the next step. Don't they have primer pocket crud issues? I always cleaned after depriming even when I dry vibed.

I quit cleaning primer pockets years ago on the advice of someone here. Never had a problem. Just make sure your primers are fully seated. Doubt you could see a difference in pistol ammo. A benchrest shooter might be able see a difference in rifle ammo, but I can’t.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-22-2023, 11:23 AM
1. Universal die deprime
2. Wet tumble

That is how I do it with common pistol ammo. While I have had the occasional primer issue due to certain brands of brass (read primer pocket size), I have never noticed a problem that I concluded was due to primer crud...if I did ever have accuracy issues due to primer crud, which is likely...those issues wouldn't be measurable at the distances I shoot pistol.

I do also load rifle ammo on the Lee CCTP, but those cases get deprimed and pockets cleaned before they get on the press.

lightload
03-22-2023, 01:05 PM
Lee's Classic Turret Press is a bargain which appears to have excellent engineering. I have it and the T-7. Eventually the T-7 will cost too much to manufacture and will go the way of other products that became too expensive to produce.

openbook
03-22-2023, 01:07 PM
1. Universal die deprime
2. Wet tumble

On the Lee turret and using a regular three- or four-die set, the upstroke resizes and decaps, the rocker inserts a primer at the top of stroke, and the downstroke seats the primer. With the four-hole turret you have considerable options about how to set up your sequence. You can separate the seating and crimping steps, or use an M die, or add a post-sizer, among many other options. Granted you can't fit five, six or seven dies, but I think this is an advantage in many cases. For the majority of my loading I won't use more than four dies. The extra cycles of the handle to bypass empty stations on the turret would really add up over the course of many hundreds of rounds.

I think it was in Richard Lee's Modern Reloading that I read a discussion to the effect that cleaning primer pockets is not very important. I'm not home to verify at the moment. You will experience a strong draw to the use of the downstroke-prime feature on the Lee turret (whether you use it or not is of course up to you). I have compared it to cases I primed early in my reloading when I was measuring primer seating depth with a caliper. The Lee turret tends to seat the primers slightly more shallow. There is a small amount of variation in depth if you apply considerably more force. I have not had any issue with cases primed on the turret (and without cleaning primer pockets).

Cleaning primer pockets wouldn't be an extra step if one was full-length resizing/decapping with sizing lube, and using a tumbler to clean off the lube. But with carbide and/or neck sizing dies, it's a lot more straightforward (on the turret press) to clean first and then do the whole loading sequence with one trip to the turret.

Soundguy
03-22-2023, 01:18 PM
I only clean primer pockets when scrounging brass that has laid on the ground an unknown amount of time at a range. If it's my brass I just picked up..dust off or tumble if in sand.. Then let it ride the turret press.

For those that like to deprime as a separate step..use a single stage for that..them let the 4 hole do the rest.

jetinteriorguy
03-22-2023, 01:28 PM
1. Universal die deprime
2. Wet tumble

I deprime with a universal depriming die and process my brass off press. Then on the Turret I size and prime in station one, powder drop in station two with Lee Pro Disc using NOE powder through expanders, seat bullet in station three, and crimp in station four. This is my setup for pistol loading, I still load rifle using a couple of single stage presses but have loaded rifle in the past on the Turret with good results.

mike_kaleigh
03-22-2023, 07:33 PM
I have t7 and big boss, the t7 is a tank, I love it and if you can save up the money you will never regret it, the dies never leave my press, 223 and 300blk, makes it so much easier. Also redding has great service and stand behind their products, I even need a different seating stem for 40 grain bullet in 223, they sent me one for free.

dverna
03-22-2023, 07:54 PM
I do not need to be screw in dies. Either the Co-Ax, or a press that takes quick change bushings will do the job.

deces
03-22-2023, 08:39 PM
I deprime with a universal depriming die and process my brass off press. Then on the Turret I size and prime in station one, powder drop in station two with Lee Pro Disc using NOE powder through expanders, seat bullet in station three, and crimp in station four. This is my setup for pistol loading, I still load rifle using a couple of single stage presses but have loaded rifle in the past on the Turret with good results.

If he went Lee he could also buy a Lee APP and still be under the Redding probably.
Decapping on the APP is really nice.

Hondolane
03-22-2023, 08:45 PM
Everyone has their favorites, mine is the Redding T-7. Well designed, accurate loading, built strong and will last for generations. ,

Hondolane
03-22-2023, 08:46 PM
Duplicate post.

JSnover
03-23-2023, 10:44 AM
I have an old Lee on my bench next to a fairly new Redding T7 and I like them both but I find myself using the T7 more often.

Dancing Bear
03-23-2023, 06:27 PM
I only clean primer pockets when scrounging brass that has laid on the ground an unknown amount of time at a range. If it's my brass I just picked up..dust off or tumble if in sand.. Then let it ride the turret press.

For those that like to deprime as a separate step..use a single stage for that..them let the 4 hole do the rest.
I plan to stay with that as brass should be deprimed before wet tumbling.
PS I do appreciate that the T-7 is a better press but at $400 and $100 per turret it's not an option. The Lee is about $135 and turrets are $11 each.
I probably only have limited shooting time left at 72 and just can't justify the investment.

deces
03-23-2023, 06:40 PM
I plan to stay with that as brass should be deprimed before wet tumbling.
PS I do appreciate that the T-7 is a better press but at $400 and $100 per turret it's not an option. The Lee is about $135 and turrets are $11 each.
I probably only have limited shooting time left at 72 and just can't justify the investment.

I would try to get the Classic turret if you want a sturdy press, it is built with the classic cast in mind. the linkages are over built and stout. The budget turret is like the pro 4000, it's fine for what it does but there is flex in the linkages.
The lee bench plat is a nice accessory for Lee presses, with the twist of 4 crews, you can swap out any tool imaginable that will fit on a plate.

Baltimoreed
03-23-2023, 06:49 PM
I have a pair of T-2 Lyman’s with Dillon 550 powder measures on them. Love them.

hawkeye1
03-25-2023, 09:54 AM
Turret press is definitely a great way to go. It’s so handy to have turrets ready and preset. I have a Lee 3 hole turret press that I have used for prolly 25 years or more. Excellent product. I just recently added a Lyman 8 turret press. Not because anything wrong with Lee, but always wanted the Lyman. It’s everything the Lee is and more. I caught it on sale at Midsouth. Rock solid press. They are both great presses and plan to hand them down to my sons one day.

nitro-express
03-25-2023, 01:04 PM
All the points seem to have been touched on, and I feel compelled to touch on those I strongly agree with. But first I've been looking at the new Zero reloading press. Even if you can't afford the press, watch the video, IMHO it makes a few very important points. https://www.area419.com/product/the-zero-reloading-press/

The Dillon 550: very good press, priming is the best on press priming system I've ever used. VG mechanical advantage, less fatigue for the operator. The Dillon powder measure is a tough act to follow, very good measure IMHO.

I also like the old T-Mag II by Lyman. I never used the on press priming but before upgrading to the 550s, I had about a half dozen turrets all set up for my reloading. It's a friend, and i couldn't sell it. I smiled when I saw the comment of fitting it with a Dillon powder measure, perfect. I used a Dandy and an Accumeasure. Both are fine but sometimes you just need the charge that has no bushing. I own 6 Dillon measures, I fully endorse them.

Before buying the T-Mag I had a Redding 25, and excellent press but turrets for the Lyman were easier to find, and the slanted press would mes with my mind. The 25 is discontinued, but Redding presses are built really well. I have a Ultra-Mag and it is solid. I still have a single stage and eventually I think I'd like to upgrade it to a Redding Big Boss II. At present I have a 550 Dillon that I converted to a single stage. It works well, so no hurry on the upgrade.

All the presses I have listed above have one important feature. They all extend to TDC or cam over, either system is what I prefer. I've owned a LEE Classic Cast and my brother has a LEE Classic Cast Turret. Both presses hard stop long before TDC, a feature I do not like, YMMV. I modified the linkage on my CC, and that improved the operation, but complicated the primer disposal. I sold the press as the alignment was bad enough that I didn't like to use it. Dillon has a toll for their 550s that check alignment and let you adjust the base plate for perfect alignment. Once you have used a press with perfect alignment, the ones that do not align are annoying and I avoid them. Every Redding press that I've owned has had good alignment, as have both the T-Mag IIs that I have owned. One of my recent projects is the Tru-Line Jr press, again, alignment not an issue.

Because the LEE press has a two piece ram, I was able to mostly correct alignment, but it had to be the worst aligning press I've owned. Although the Rock Chucker I started with would be in the running for that award as well. LEE must use green casting because over the time that I was unfortunate enough to own mine, I had to correct alignment about three times. The LEE Classic Cast turret uses the same/similar hard stop before TDC linkage as the Classic Cast. That, and the wiggle in the turret and the plastic indexing pieces would be enough for me to avoid it. I do like that the turrets are not expensive, but they are only 4 hole and sometimes a set-up needs more than 4 holes. I even found the 6 holes on my Y-Mag a limitation. i like to run 44 Mag and Special on the sale turret and the same for 38/357 and depending on the set-up, it would need more than 6.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is to do your research and buy the press that has the features you want and is built to a standard that you can live with. After all, perfection is a bit of an unrealistic expectation, or so I've been told.

There is one LEE press that has caught my interest, the Value Turret press looks perfect for normal production of pistol and pistol caliber carbine ammunition. It looks to be a modern version of the Lyman Tru-Line Jr. and I suspect it would work within the same limitations, but would have a modern primer disposal tube. I may buy one to put it through its paces. The bolt down uprights should allow for proper alignment.

Thanks for reading, being at the bottom of the second page, I don't expect it to get read much.

rintinglen
03-25-2023, 01:11 PM
I like the Lyman T-Mag II, it is the workhorse of the press table...working up loads as it's shown here or mount a dispenser on the turret and make large batches. The turret has a snugging nut under the back of the turret across from the die station your using and adjusting that nut takes all the slop out of the turret top. Extra turrets are available too.

https://i.imgur.com/UX5AKJyh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BddwHGHh.jpg

This is what I have as well. 380, 9MM, 38 and 357, cartridges I shoot a lot of, get loaded on one or the other of my Dillons. Everything else gets loaded on the Lyman. I also have an RCBS Turret but I hated the primer feed mechanism on that one and do not recommend them. My brother has the LEE and has used it with complete satisfaction for years. IIRC, his is the older 3 hole variant. I strongly recommend going to one of the larger gun shows for your purchase of a another press. Most used presses are in fine mechanical condition and are much cheaper than new. You'll save enough to buy some primers

Dancing Bear
03-26-2023, 09:30 AM
This is what I have as well. 380, 9MM, 38 and 357, cartridges I shoot a lot of, get loaded on one or the other of my Dillons. Everything else gets loaded on the Lyman. I also have an RCBS Turret but I hated the primer feed mechanism on that one and do not recommend them. My brother has the LEE and has used it with complete satisfaction for years. IIRC, his is the older 3 hole variant. I strongly recommend going to one of the larger gun shows for your purchase of a another press. Most used presses are in fine mechanical condition and are much cheaper than new. You'll save enough to buy some primers

Nice setup there. Unfortunately the gun shows here are not like they used to be. The deals just aren't there any more as a rule.

DAVIDMAGNUM
03-26-2023, 10:03 AM
The Lee Classic cast turret is the one press I will never get rid of. It’s perfectly capable of producing MOA or better ammunition in every caliber I have.

I agree whole heartedly.

Doug Guy, You can remove the indexing rod on a Lee Turret press with two fingers. Viola, no auto indexing.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-26-2023, 11:30 AM
I have two Lee Classic Turret presses. One is the standard 4-place turret. The second I changed to use the 3-place turret, as I had the older Lee Turret press. I don't really use them as turret presses, spinning the turret for each cartridge, I use the turrets as die holders, eliminating die changing, die adjustment, turning dies in-out for each step. I've been using Lee Turrets since they came onto the market. Have had no reason to change, ease of swapping die sets, not resetting anything is my reason for the turrets. I do have a single stage compound leverage red Pacific(Hornady) 'O' press but it sees little use. I have a couple Lee 1000's, A Loadmaster and a Dillon 550 but the Lee turrets get most of the rifle work.

tew3006
03-26-2023, 10:32 PM
I used a single stage RCBS for about 30 years. I finally decided I wanted a turret. I watched a lot of YouTube videos and read everything I could on these forums. After taking everything into consideration I bought a T7. I couldn't be happier!

huntinlever
03-26-2023, 11:18 PM
I went through a ton of 45-70, 30-06, 30-30 and .44 mag loads on my Lee Turret Press, along with a LFCD for all but the 30-06. Performed flawlessly. However I took out the indexing rod and used it basically as a single-stage press. I debated about doing it again but don't find it a big deal to take dies in and out on my RCBS single-stage, though it was convenient to have one turret per cartridge. I'd be very happy with the Lee.

Baltimoreed
03-26-2023, 11:37 PM
In order to get the on the press priming to work 100% on my Lyman T Mags I had to cut the inside bottom corner and smooth the interior step on the shell holders where the primer cup goes through it as well as the top corner radius on the outside of the primer cup to prevent the primers from flipping as those corners would catch on each other and when they released the primer would flip. I also removed burrs on the aluminum piece that holds the tube of primers to allow better feeding into the primer cup.