PDA

View Full Version : H&R Ultra Varmint Trigger ?

Johnch
03-20-2023, 09:07 PM
A H&R Ultra Varmint in 243 Winchester followed me home

I wanted the Leupold 4.5x14 x 40 scope that was included with the rifle

The rifle has a thumbhole stock and a heavy barrel
But from the looks of the bore , it may have never been fired
Base is installed , no marks on the base from rings
This and the perfect bore make me think the rifle was never fired
The rings and scope are still in the factory boxes

Not sure how old the rifle is
It looks like New in The Box

BUT right now the trigger pull is at least 8 lb , maybe 10 lb
With the trigger pull about as smooth as a sheet of 60 .... maybe 80 grit sand paper

My question
Can these triggers be worked on by me or a gunsmith ?
And if they can , is a 3 or 4 lb trigger pull possible ?

If I can get the trigger smoothed out and down to 3 or 4 Lb
I would like to see if I could get it to group well
As sometimes I need a Varmint rifle for 400+ yard shots

Thanks
John

farmer66
03-20-2023, 09:11 PM
This may help:

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/how-to-basic-handi-rifle-trigger-job.72067/

Johnch
03-20-2023, 10:25 PM
This may help:

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/how-to-basic-handi-rifle-trigger-job.72067/

Thanks
After reading part of how he tells you to BEAT THE Blank on the pins to remove them
I think I will reread and reread his directions

Also looking in my safe
I have several H&R rifles
So I can first work on the trigger on the 357 Mag rifle

And then just cheat and swap receivers

John

Nobade
03-21-2023, 06:36 AM
A ball point pen spring is the perfect size to replace the monster truck spring they use for trigger return in those. It will result in a much lighter pull. Be careful stoning the sear engagement surfaces, they are thinly case hardened and easy to cut through that into the soft metal underneath.

Buzz Krumhunger
03-21-2023, 07:33 AM
I believe the .357 mag (and other straight wall) chambered rifles use a different composition and design (weaker) receiver than the ones chambered for bottle neck cartridges. You might not be able to safely substitute the .357 receiver for the .243.

Read about SB1 vs SB2 receivers.

BK7saum
03-21-2023, 12:08 PM
Thanks
After reading part of how he tells you to BEAT THE Blank on the pins to remove them
I think I will reread and reread his directions

Also looking in my safe
I have several H&R rifles
So I can first work on the trigger on the 357 Mag rifle

And then just cheat and swap receivers

John
Unless you can verify both are sb2 receivers, swapping is not advised. one is weaker than the other. Also barrels aren't fully interchangeable like TC unless fitted. Sometime they do.

megasupermagnum
03-21-2023, 05:20 PM
Working on the triggers of H&Rs is a chore, but it's not that challenging technically. A block of wood and some punches remove the pins easily. Just check your work as you go. You can just start the pins to check function. I don't drive them fully in until I'm done.

Jal5
03-22-2023, 12:37 AM
Go to the Graybeards
Outdoors forum and look into the HR subforum. Everything you want to know about these rifles is there. Good folks too.
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedman
03-22-2023, 08:21 AM
There is a method known as the Profino trigger job. You just spend as long as it takes keeping your thumb on the hammer and cocking and pulling the trigger without letting the hammer fall all the way.
Literally just wearing the hammer - sear in until the trigger pull improves to where you like it.
I have never tried it but its one way to do it without disassembling the action.

Jedman

Johnch
03-22-2023, 10:57 AM
Well I may have lucked out
I checked my Emails this morning and a friend Lurks on this site

Well he sent me a Email address of a local gunsmith that is ( his words ) a Wizard with H&R Handi rifle triggers
He told me he Only will work on a gun for you if he knows you , I sort of know him already
Or are a Friend of someone he knows and trusts

So I sent him a Email asking if he would clean up and reduce the trigger pull on the Ultra Varmint

Not expecting a 2 lb trigger pull
But having a gunsmith do the work reduces the chances I would mess things up

Thanks
John

Electrod47
03-22-2023, 12:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T_8kge23wQ&list=PLF12GhQTDDmXr1Z2lnUhS_z0lZhv4nPAC&index=1

Cut and paste the address above into your search engine. I tested it and it went to the video. I don't know how to paste a video. BUT, This guy was very helpful to me working on my own H&R/NEF's. He's just a normal mechanic guy like most of us here.