PDA

View Full Version : OAL for .30-06. How short is too short?

John in WI
03-20-2023, 08:19 PM
Hello folks,
Years back I bought a used RCBS "rock crusher". It sat in a box until I went to buy .30-06, and they wanted $50 a box for it!
I'm now geared up to reload .30-06. I cast and gas checked some Lee 170gr flat points. They are sized. A friend sold me a couple hundred primed, once fired cases. I'm using an RCBS die and shell holder. My Lyman manual says, for a very similar projectile (same weight/shape but lyman rather than lee) 2.968" is listed as the overall length.

I made 20 rounds, starting with a dummy round. Unfortunately, I didn't check after I tightened the locking screw, and just went ahead. I don't know how short my rounds are ran out of time before I could measure them, but I would guess about 0.5mm. I'm using a decent caliper, my rounds are all consistent, but just short. I tried them, and they appear to chamber in the rifle just fine (as I would have expected--they are too short, not too long).

Is there a safety issue with firing slightly too short ammo? The case isn't even close to full (21gr 2400 powder), so there is no compression going on. I'm at 21gr 2400--Lyman lists it from 20-27gr. So I am way on the bottom of the pressure scale.

I just don't want to mess up the chamber in my rifle, or do anything that could be potentially dangerous.
It was a dumb, newbie mistake. I made the dummy that was up to the correct length, but tightening the locking ring must have dropped the die just a hair more than intended. Won't make that mistake again!
Thanks for any info.

M-Tecs
03-20-2023, 08:38 PM
Your fine. As you know reducing case volume does increase pressure but in your case you are so low pressure you are well under max pressure.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-20-2023, 08:49 PM
Couldn’t tell you how long mine are, but I seat to the crimp groove with that boolit in 30-06. 21 grains of 2400 shoots very well with that combo, near MOA, sometimes under, and has put a lot of deer meat in the freezer. But, don’t be afraid to drop down a few grains if needed if you don’t find accuracy. I wouldn’t go any higher, assuming a 1-10” twist.

GregLaROCHE
03-21-2023, 04:47 AM
There has been debate on whether or not it was a good idea to seat gas checked boolits, with the GC below the neck of bottle neck cases. Are you getting into that territory? If not, you should be fine.