PDA

View Full Version : Xmas vacation project: Win 12 stock.

Tokarev
03-20-2023, 02:28 PM
Thanks to a kind soul, I now have a 3D printed stock on my Winchester 12. It replaces the original wood stock, which is cracked at the wrist like many others.
Since their 3D printer's envelope is only about 8x8x8" it is a 2-piece* model held together by 4x wood screws, which I welded together once assembled.
Its geometry mimics and matches the original in the LOP and cheek weld except for the slightly extended bottom of the pistol grip. The originally fitted Pachmayr buttpad mathches perfectly. Finally, I can shoot this beauty.

*Sorry, I goofed: it is a 3-piece model because the buttpad sits on its own insert into the buttstock.

flemdoug
03-20-2023, 09:54 PM
I'm impressed. Curious -- what filament was used? I'm also curious how it was modeled in 3D Cad -- did you (or the designer) use some kind of scan of the old stock?

Tokarev
03-21-2023, 09:52 AM
Thanks! It is metal grey PLA. No scan was used: it was an iterative process of the designer working off a picture and dimensions of the original and me correcting them. In the end they said that it was the most difficult item that they have ever worked on, due to all of the splines and irregularly shaped curves. Winchester 12 is not an easy shotgun to design stocks for!

GWS
05-07-2023, 08:46 PM
If you stand it on the butt end, how tall is it all put together? More and 400mm? (15.748 inches) Was just wondering about printing it in one piece with the butt down? But 400mm is max printing height on my printer.

HollowPoint
05-10-2023, 04:57 PM
Well dang, that turned out good as far as I'm concerned.