PDA

View Full Version : grease cookie

500swshooter
02-07-2009, 12:28 AM
can someone explain what a grease cookie is and how it is used?

montana_charlie
02-07-2009, 01:06 AM
A grease cookie is a disc made of bullet lube that is placed in the case (like a wad) underneath the bullet.

It is the only source of lube to keep BP fouling soft when shooting paper patched bullets, and it is 'supplemental' lube when used with grease grooved bullets that don't seem to carry enough on their own.

CM

500swshooter
02-07-2009, 12:39 PM
is a wad required between the powder and the cookie and is the cookie made out of the same lube that is applied to the bullet.

Junior1942
02-07-2009, 12:49 PM
can someone explain what a grease cookie is and how it is used?About half way down this article there's a tutorial on making them: http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/1871.htm

SharpsShooter
02-07-2009, 01:10 PM
is a wad required between the powder and the cookie and is the cookie made out of the same lube that is applied to the bullet.

Charge the case with powder. Insert a .030” fiber wad and compress to the desired amount. Insert grease cookie. Mine are .200” thick. Insert a .030” card or LDPE wad. Finally seat the boolit.

SS

Wills Point Pete
02-24-2009, 05:46 AM
If you melt some pure beeswax into a thin sheet it makes a better overpowder wad than a card wad does. The beeswax will not allow any bullet lube to contaminate the powder. Then a dab of bullet lube and a card wad if you want. Back when the Remington swaged lead bullet had a nice deep hollow base I used to fill those with black powder lube, it would work on any barrel length. The newer Remington swaged won't take enough lube for a rifle barrel.

StrawHat
03-01-2009, 07:01 AM
I am not a target shooter so my cookies may not be what others use but they work for me.

I make a cookie with a card wad, disc of lube and another card wad. I cut my wads from a cereal box and my lube discs from a sheet of lube (well chilled). Low tech but effective for hunting or plinking.

Not the most technical of methods but certainly an option.

northmn
03-01-2009, 07:21 AM
I have had some success making wads out of wax paper and putting the grease in between two sheets of the wax paper, which disentegrates on firing.

Northmn

03-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Sharpshooter,
You referenced a"LDPE" wad. What is that?

SharpsShooter
03-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Sharpshooter,
You referenced a"LDPE" wad. What is that?

LDPE-low density polyethelene..

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4.html

SS

RMulhern
03-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Here's the way I've found is best! Level container....pour in melted lube to the thickness you desire and cut as shown:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/BPCR%20SHOOTING%20RELOADING/SeatingLubeCookies.jpg

StrawHat
03-06-2009, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=FPMIII;511422]Here's the way I've found is best! Level container....pour in melted lube to the thickness you desire and cut as shown:QUOTE]

FMPIII,

Are you using a card disc to hold the powder? I like the idea, it might be a bit easier than my low tech method.

RMulhern
03-06-2009, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=FPMIII;511422]Here's the way I've found is best! Level container....pour in melted lube to the thickness you desire and cut as shown:QUOTE]

FMPIII,

Are you using a card disc to hold the powder? I like the idea, it might be a bit easier than my low tech method.

StrawHat

I use a .030" Walters Veggie wad.

StrawHat
03-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Never tried the veggie wads, I am too cheap to buy them. My cereal box wads work okay for me. I am not a target shooter, just a shooter.

Next time loading, I may give the cookie cutter idea a try.

Knarley
03-18-2009, 07:13 PM
A 400 I.U. (what ever IU is) vitamin E capsule works well. Just squish it end to end and slide it in the case. It does take up quite a bit of space, leaves a nice star at the end of the bbl AND leaves a stream of oil all the way to the target sort of like a tracer![smilie=w:
Like WAY cool:bigsmyl2:
Knarley