PDA

View Full Version : Why is 5 minute epoxy never 5 minutes?!?

Scorpion8
03-15-2023, 01:22 PM
Using Gorilla epoxy, quick-set (5 minutes). That was an hour ago, and it's still not completely set. If I mis-mixed, then how do you correctly match resin and hardener amounts with the twin tubes that control your output onto the mixing tray? I've had great luck with epoxies in the past, but can't remember which brand. This Gorilla, well I've used it about 4 times and been disappointed each time (but it's what I have). Last time I don't think it ever truly "set" at all.

Who makes the best epoxy out there?

Recycled bullet
03-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Warm it during the curing phase to make a stronger faster bond.

deltaenterprizes
03-15-2023, 01:35 PM
JB Weld is good stuff!
The 5 minute stuff is not as strong as the regular stuff.

MT Gianni
03-15-2023, 01:38 PM
Ambient temperature and humidity factor in.

Scrounge
03-15-2023, 01:49 PM
Using Gorilla epoxy, quick-set (5 minutes). That was an hour ago, and it's still not completely set. If I mis-mixed, then how do you correctly match resin and hardener amounts with the twin tubes that control your output onto the mixing tray? I've had great luck with epoxies in the past, but can't remember which brand. This Gorilla, well I've used it about 4 times and been disappointed each time (but it's what I have). Last time I don't think it ever truly "set" at all.

Because if you mix it long enough to be thoroughly mixed, like it needs, it's already cured by the time you're done mixing. I never buy 5minute epoxy.

foesgth
03-15-2023, 01:51 PM
Because if you mix it long enough to be thoroughly mixed, like it needs, it's already cured by the time you're done mixing. I never buy 5minute epoxy.

Most folks do not mix enough. If you are not mixing rapidly for at least on minute you are not even close to mixed.

hoodat
03-15-2023, 02:06 PM
If you've got a bubble or void in one side of the twin-syringe dispenser, waste a little glue to even things up, then make your batch.

The post above is correct, JB is great -- if you can live with the color for what you're doing.

Also, even though 5 minute epoxy sets quickly, it simply isn't completely cured for work for -- often 24 hrs. jd

Sig
03-15-2023, 02:06 PM
I've had good luck with Devcon.

country gent
03-15-2023, 02:08 PM
How long have you had it "on Hand" most epoxies have a shelf life. JB weld is very good as are the locktite and devcon. I very seldom use the 5 mins cure not enough working time.

abunaitoo
03-15-2023, 02:17 PM
I don't use the 5 minute epoxy anymore.
You have to mix any epoxy really well, or it will not cure.
Had it happen a few times.
With the fast curing epoxy, it starts to cure to fast for me.
One hour epoxy is about the speed for me.

Scorpion8
03-15-2023, 02:43 PM
How long have you had it "on Hand"

A week. Fresh from ACE Hardware.

Sig
03-15-2023, 02:47 PM
How long have you had it "on Hand" most epoxies have a shelf life. JB weld is very good as are the locktite and devcon. I very seldom use the 5 mins cure not enough working time.

My bottles of Devcon are probably 20 years old. I used some last month & it cured fine. I also have used rod building epoxy meant for thread wraps that was at least 10 years old with no issues. The epoxy does take on a yellow/brown hue as it ages in the bottle. I've even warmed semi crystalized paste epoxy back to life & it performed fine. The warming was recommended by the manufacturer.

stubshaft
03-15-2023, 02:58 PM
I use the original JB Weld long cure and a LOT of PC 7 epoxy. Both have served me well for years now.

truckjohn
03-15-2023, 07:40 PM
Warm it up with a hair dryer and let it sit. This often fixes problems like that.

megasupermagnum
03-15-2023, 07:42 PM
I've used JB quick weld on a lot of boat repair, filling holes, popped rivets, rock damage, etc. That stuff sets up quick. If not 5 minutes, it's ready by 10. I've had boats back in the water in an hour. It seems to hold up. I've never had any fail yet. All I do is sand, acetone, and apply.

If you need a quick fix, one thing I always keep with me is JB steel stick. It's a putty you apply, and it hardens really fast. It isn't super strong, but it will hold a brake lever to a handle bar for half a dirt bike Enduro.

I've never seen a good product from Gorilla. Their glue is useless, their tape isn't that great. It is useless below freezing.

45DUDE
03-15-2023, 08:30 PM
I've probably used 200 tubes or more of J.B. Weld. Mix 50-50 and it helps to pre heat what your putting it on. It's great for gluing a rear view mirror. I sealed the bottom of carburetor wells to prevent leaks with gasoline and if I rebuilt 8 years later it was still sealed. It needs to be stored at room temperature. I know one guy that used it instead of Bondo body filler. Whatever you use it on needs to be clean. Carburetor or brake cleaner will clean. You can warm the tubes in hot water before you mix. Forget the 5 minute cure. It take 24 hours to fully set and the warmer the weather the better.

Hannibal
03-15-2023, 08:35 PM

Completely agree with the shelf life. Manufacturers put a date code on their stuff and they definitely don't last forever. Ran into this issue with LocTite recently. Gotta throw that stuff out after a couple of years.

Hannibal
03-15-2023, 08:38 PM
My bottles of Devcon are probably 20 years old. I used some last month & it cured fine. I also have used rod building epoxy meant for thread wraps that was at least 10 years old with no issues. The epoxy does take on a yellow/brown hue as it ages in the bottle. I've even warmed semi crystalized paste epoxy back to life & it performed fine. The warming was recommended by the manufacturer.

Your experience certainly doesn't mirror mine. I do store things in a garage that is heated and cooled.

Hannibal
03-15-2023, 08:40 PM
A week. Fresh from ACE Hardware.

Check the date code but wherever you use it everything needs to be about 70° to cure. Epoxy has to have heat to cure. I'm guessing that is the problem.

brassrat
03-15-2023, 08:40 PM
I figured everything G is a garbage overpriced product

gloob
03-15-2023, 09:35 PM
Regular JB can set in 5 to 10 minutes if you heat it up just right. If it bubbles, that is too hot.

I will try the JB 5-minute version for plastic if i am desperate. It is supposed to be better for plastic. Not sure that I agree, but i would say it is definitely worse for everything else!

gloob
03-15-2023, 09:45 PM
Over years of using it, I have a superstition that using slightly too much black will make it not set. Slightly heavy on the grey seems to be safer, if you err. I have read that most epoxies last forever, on the shelf, so long as you don't expose them to UV light. JB comes in a foil tube, so it should last forever. I buy it in the huge tubes and it has never gone bad on me... yet.

John Guedry
03-16-2023, 09:59 AM
Plus one for J B Weld. I don't believe that 5 min. hooey.Manufactuers are like politicians "they lie".

Misery-Whip
03-16-2023, 10:25 AM
I see a lot of problems when squirted out of the twin cartridge onto a piece of cardboard. The cardboard soaks up much of the active ingredient. Try a mixing nozzle, or something that doesnt absorb. A bondo spreader is what I usually go for if I only need a little, if I need more I go for a waxed paper cup. One place I worked we had glass cutting boards we mixed on. Then had to clean up.

I dont like solo cups either due to the edge in the bottom.

Shawlerbrook
03-16-2023, 10:53 AM
Love JB Weld, but not the syringe. I prefer the 2 separate tubes and if it’s two different colors it’s easier to see when fully mixed. Can’t beat the “regular” cure time stuff for strength.

Skipper
03-16-2023, 11:01 AM
Just for chemistry info...

Every 18 degree increase in temperature doubles the reaction speed.

Woodtroll
03-16-2023, 07:02 PM
I've found the Gorilla Glue epoxy to cure with a greasy, tacky film on it. It's done this with several tubes, not just one, so I assume that is just a characteristic of it. Once it does cure it seems pretty strong, but I don't like the finished surface of it.

deces
03-16-2023, 07:33 PM
Does anyone know where to buy reasonably priced liquid epoxy by the gallon? I don't like the, the smaller the container, the higher the price per ounce deal.

porthos
03-16-2023, 07:36 PM
unless you have a real need for a quick drying epoxy; don't use it. a regular (not quick) under a light bulb 8-10 inches away greatly quickens drying.

Hannibal
03-16-2023, 07:38 PM
Does anyone know where to buy reasonably priced liquid epoxy by the gallon? I don't like the, the smaller the container, the higher the price per ounce deal.

By the gallon?

I hope I never need to fix that much stuff in my lifetime. :shock:

ulav8r
03-16-2023, 09:55 PM

http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html Their 4:1 is supposedly the same thing as Brownell's Acraglass. A 2:1 or 3:1 should be less critical on mix ratio but many epoxies of various brands must have accurate measures. Too little hardener won't cure and too much will cure improperly. Before going with any particular epoxy, try to find multiple reviews.

megasupermagnum
03-16-2023, 10:26 PM
What good would a gallon of epoxy be for small repairs? The stuff would be trash the third time you went to use it. The only time I ever use epoxy by the gallon is floor/concrete repair. True bond is some serious stuff, but I would never use it for anything but floors, and I either use a full gallon, or none.

jimlj
03-17-2023, 12:05 AM

My experience with "most" epoxy is about 24 hours longer than advertised for set time. 5 minute epoxy might feel like its set up, but I wouldn't count on it for at least a day if you can wait.
Ditto what others have said about proper mixing, and heating the epoxy AFTER you have it in place.
Ditto what others have said about JB Weld. I think it is about as good as you can get off the shelf.
Totalboat makes and sells several different epoxies for different applications. You can buy it by the gallon. I have had that stuff set up while mixing on a hot day, but like I said earlier I don't think it is truly set for at least a day. (totalboat.com)

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-17-2023, 09:05 AM
Set time and cure time are two different things.
I just use the cheap stuff from the dollar store, works every time.

Plain old super glue works better on some plastics, if you use "the trick"
I was skeptical of it, until I fixed a crack in a chainsaw gas tank, best fix I ever did.

Sig
03-17-2023, 09:25 AM
What good would a gallon of epoxy be for small repairs? The stuff would be trash the third time you went to use it. The only time I ever use epoxy by the gallon is floor/concrete repair. True bond is some serious stuff, but I would never use it for anything but floors, and I either use a full gallon, or none.

I guess you don't work on boats. I use West System for fiberglass work & again have not had any aging issues with it other than it getting darker in color. Better check your primers for an expiration date.:kidding:

megasupermagnum
03-17-2023, 12:52 PM
I guess you don't work on boats. I use West System for fiberglass work & again have not had any aging issues with it other than it getting darker in color. Better check your primers for an expiration date.:kidding:

I do regularly, but never any that bad. I also avoid fiberglass.

Beerd
03-17-2023, 01:19 PM
Set time and cure time are two different things.
I just use the cheap stuff from the dollar store, works every time.

Plain old super glue works better on some plastics, if you use "the trick"
I was skeptical of it, until I fixed a crack in a chainsaw gas tank, best fix I ever did.

I give, whats "the trick"?

deces
03-17-2023, 01:26 PM
Ive used 30 year old epoxy that was my grandfathers, it wasn't trash then.

super6
03-17-2023, 01:29 PM
I have used JB weld on hydraulic systems that run 3000 p.s.i. no leaks! Think pipe joints. That stuff is tough. A bit of heat will release it. Propane torch LOL.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-17-2023, 01:35 PM
I give, whats "the trick"?

type, "super glue and baking soda" into your favorite search engine, then chose your favorite link/video

megasupermagnum
03-17-2023, 02:11 PM
Ive used 30 year old epoxy that was my grandfathers, it wasn't trash then.

That would obviously depend on what it is. JB weld will not last that long. You can't even get it out of the tube a few months after you expose it to air.

45DUDE
03-19-2023, 04:38 AM
A piece of molding fell off the microwave. I fixed it with a piece of sliced cheese. I got this idea by dropping a slice on the floor and had to scrape it up.[smilie=w:

Recycled bullet
03-19-2023, 06:26 AM
type, "super glue and baking soda" into your favorite search engine, then chose your favorite link/videoI like the trick is a real lifesaver

I use a product called q bond to repair automotive plastic parts

I've used it to glue together broken electrical connector pigtails when a rebuild kit is on galactic backorder and looking at a six week lead time to get the part from the dealership

it's the same idea just powdered plastic instead of baking soda can be layered on and can be sanded to match comes with grey and black powders

biggest advantage is bonding difficult interior trim bits and making seamless fixes on dashboard plastics