PDA

View Full Version : Help with repairing 92 legacy ??

freedom475
02-06-2009, 09:40 PM
I have a 92 LSI in 480 Ruger.... It has trouble feeding.
I have been trying to break it in and was hoping it would smooth out but it hasn't.... Now I figured out why.

I thought it was just hitting in the top of the chamber on feeding but I discovered today that it is actually the ejector.

There are 2 small posts that stick out on the bottom edge of the ejector and these are going into the primer pocket and causing the feeding problem.

I'm not sure but can these just be filed back/off or should the cartrige be made to come up sooner so as to be higher when the ejector contacts the case so it would contact below the primer pocket??

Any one else ever had this trouble?? I know I could send it somewhere but that is not in my nature[smilie=1:... I will fix or break it myself:mrgreen: But I would sure like to hear from anyone who has seen this before.
Thanks,
Wes

looseprojectile
02-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Take your dremel and a small, about half inch polishing bob and some polishing compound and go after it. Just breaking the sharp edges should help if not completely eliminate the problem. Wouldn't hurt to round off the edges in a lot of other places also. Those ejectors all have waaaay too much urge.[spring].
I am totally surprised that a straight case feeds at all on any 92. It don't hurt to polish the bottom of the feed/guide rails also.
Got several of em. Lot better gun than the M ones[smilie=1:.
Life is good

freedom475
02-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Take your dremel and a small, about half inch polishing bob and some polishing compound and go after it. Just breaking the sharp edges should help if not completely eliminate the problem. Wouldn't hurt to round off the edges in a lot of other places also. Those ejectors all have waaaay too much urge.[spring].
I am totally surprised that a straight case feeds at all on any 92. It don't hurt to polish the bottom of the feed/guide rails also.
Got several of em. Lot better gun than the M ones[smilie=1:.
Life is good

Thank you for the info...the action of the gun is as smooth as any I have ever felt except for the ejector hang-up with the primer pocket. If I fill and tape the primer pocket flat/closed you can't even tell it's loading a round.:Fire:

Does anyone know the function of these 2 little projections on the bottom face of the ejector ??

looseprojectile
02-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Those little ears are there to initially contact the rim of the cartridge on the lifter and push it foreward and up. The ones on my 92s are radiused on the bottom and they work nice and slick. I suspect that yours may need some massaging. I have owned and handled dozens of these rifles and have not seen your problem in any of them. These are great guns and I hope you get yours running. I would be careful to not remove any length from those legs on the ejector.
If your ejector spring is soft enough the ejector will slide all the way into the bolt while feeding a round and still be strong enough to eject loaded rounds.
Are you really sure that is the problem? You might try tightening the screws that hold the feed rails one more time. Are you shooting reloads? Measure them and the dimension between the rails. Might be crud under the rails or they dont fit.
I do hope you get your problem solved.
Life is good

freedom475
02-07-2009, 05:40 AM
I spent a lot of time learning and polishing the rifle and I believe this to be the problem....The little ears are hooking/entering the primer pocket and binding there. When you add enough pressure it depresses the ejector and then the ears pop out of the primer pocket leaving a visable mark in the brass as the shell comes up.

Primarilly the Right hand projection leaving the mark. I just tried holding a little piece of paper behind the shell, the right hand ear pocks a triangle hole in the paper, but that is the only mark on the paper. It also appears that the right hand ear is a little longer than the left. I will try buffing and adding a little angle/radius to the bottom portion of the right hand ear without shortening it and see if it will help.

I really appreciate the advice.:drinks:

cajun shooter
02-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Before you mess up by taking too much off your parts PLEASE CALL STEVE YOUNG!!! Steve will take time to talk with you and he is the 92 GURU. His number is 309-437-1550. Steve also sells a DVD for 29.95 that has you working on your 92 like a pro. He also has parts the ejector spring is one that he changes in his action jobs. He is one of the sponsors on Paco Kelly's Leverguns site. Please understand that I'm not saying that you can't work on your gun it's that Steve knows the 92 inside out and has repaired them for many years. His favorite saying when asked why the 92. He says that was the only gun left that nobody worked on. The 92 was designed by the master himself John Browning and is the best one as far as strength goes.

freedom475
02-22-2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks Guys!!:drinks:...Cajun, I called Steve...What a great guy to talk too!! I did a little honing on the fingers and removed a little from the bottom of the ramp and the 480 Puma is running so smooth I can't believe how well she opperates now:mrgreen:. This thing sure packs some punch!! I removed the safety, put a blade front on it and a ladder buckhorn on the rear.... Got it marked out to 900yrds and still have some more room on the ladder.

Recoil is plenty stiff with 400's and 430's but I sure hate the recoil pad...anyone know where to get a real buttplate?

corvette8n
02-22-2009, 03:01 PM
I put a lace on pad I got from Cabelas, mine is in .45 colt but with the metal buttplate it would black and blue you with +P loads. The pad also lengenthed the pull a little.