PDA

View Full Version : bleeding dog

redriverhunter
03-13-2023, 09:42 PM
I get home from work today, and my wife tells me the dog was bleeding from ears, nose, mouth and his back end. She took the dog to the vet and the vets said she believed the dog ate a toad or frog and it had ill effects. Never heard of this.

trails4u
03-13-2023, 09:44 PM
That sounds to me like a dog that's been run over by something in its midsection....

tommag
03-13-2023, 09:53 PM
I have a friend who hauls plants out of Florida. His dog sampled a frog that dang near killed him. Similar symptoms.

Rp-
03-13-2023, 11:01 PM
Hope your pup is ok. Hope hes a big dog. I had a 150lb newfinland who ate a whole chocolate cake once. Lips and tongue turned dark purple. We said our goodbyes but after 3 days he snapped out of it and lived another 4 or 5 years. Only reason he survived is because he was big. Any smaller and he would have been a goner for sure.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

facetious
03-14-2023, 01:19 AM
What kind of frogs are thy getting ? Or is it any kind of frog.

414gates
03-14-2023, 01:42 AM
Snake bite ?

Gewehr-Guy
03-14-2023, 07:50 AM
Could he have eaten a large quantity of rat poison? I have heard they can't eat enough to kill a pet, but may thin their blood to cause those symptoms. I'm not a vet, so just a guess.

brass410
03-14-2023, 09:47 AM
our english mastiff gobbled down a large toad one time darn near turned her inside out droolin and slobberin and barfin all over the place, finale was when she collapsed and started to have seizures, as we pulled into the Vets yard up came a VERY disfigured lump of flesh that the Vet figured was a toad in a few moments totally recovered. I would be suspicious that yours has probably gobbled down something that has been poisoned like a mouse, squirrel or the like your pet needs some medical attention

Hickok
03-14-2023, 09:51 AM
Let's us know if your furry friend is all right....I surely hope so!

Finster101
03-14-2023, 04:10 PM
Bufo Toads. Really bad news for dogs or any animal that comes in contact with them including humans. I have killed many.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bufo+toad&sxsrf=AJOqlzVJPMkE8rHsAduh074gBlNlAUq5_g%3A1678824 542591&source=hp&ei=XtQQZNzLIeyoqtsPrL-g8Ac&iflsig=AK50M_UAAAAAZBDibigYZaEXACWQzsfc9ckJfGuthO1 S&gs_ssp=eJzj4tTP1TcwTDPPNTJg9OJMKk3LVyjJT0wBAEQ6BnQ&oq=Bufo&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADILCC4QgwEQsQMQgAQyCwguEIM BELEDEIAEMggILhCxAxCDATIICC4QgAQQsQMyBQgAEIAEMggIA BCxAxCDATILCAAQgAQQsQMQgwEyCAgAEIAEELEDMgUIABCABDI OCC4QsQMQgwEQxwEQrwE6CgguEMcBEK8BECc6BAgjECc6DgguE IAEELEDEMcBENEDOhEILhCABBCxAxCDARDHARDRAzoFCC4QgAQ 6EQguEIMBEMcBELEDENEDEIAEOg4ILhCABBDHARDRAxDUAjoLC C4QgAQQsQMQ1AI6CAguELEDEIAEOgsILhCABBDHARCvAToRCC4 QrwEQxwEQkgMQyQMQgAQ6CwguEIAEEMcBENEDUABYuA1gzyxoA HAAeACAAXyIAZwDkgEDMi4ymAEAoAEB&sclient=gws-wiz

MT Gianni
03-14-2023, 04:47 PM
Posting a location in your sign on helps diagnose stuff like this.

redriverhunter
03-14-2023, 08:36 PM
thanks for all the replies. I am in north texas near wichita falls. My wife did rush the dog to the vet. The vet ruled out snake bite as she thinks it too cold still. My dog is doing fine now. The frog/toad makes since as we only see them after we have had rain, and it had been raining. When I was a kid when a dog got ahold of a toad he would foam and drool at the mouth. Kodi (my dog) is a back yard breader version of a pit, he is well over 100 pounds. His size and ability to swallow large chunks of food may have be his downfall. I hope he has learned his lesson.

barnetmill
03-14-2023, 11:58 PM
The common southern toad, all of my dogs give it wide berth. Normally my three if it is not a reptile, anything small is investigated, molested, and then likely eaten.
One day one of my dogs when it was younger was just frothing at the mouth. It was a southern toad. About bleeding I do not know about. I might suspect rat poison, but a good vet should have tested for that.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/toad-poisoning-in-dogs
What is toad poisoning?

Toad poisoning occurs when a dog is exposed to toxins secreted by certain species of toads. In the Unites States, exposure to most toads causes only mild signs with licking or ingesting most toads resulting in drooling, vomiting and oral irritation.

Two species of toads in the Unites States can cause severe poisoning—the cane toad and the Colorado River/Sonoran Desert toad. Licking or ingesting one of these toads can cause life threatening signs. The cane toad (Rhinella marina) may also be known as the bufo toad due its former genus name (formerly Bufo marinus). The cane toad is typically found in Florida, Texas, Hawaii, Louisiana and other tropical areas. These toads are very large, between 6 to 9 inches long.

The Colorado River or Sonoran Desert toad (Incilius alvarius) is found in California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas. This toad is also very large, growing up to 7.5 inches long.

Although dogs are more likely to be exposed to poisonous toads, cats have also been reported to develop poisoning. Encounters with toads are more common in the rainy season (March-September) when breeding occurs. Toads are most active after a rainfall or during dawn, dusk and nighttime.
What causes toad poisoning?

Toads secrete toxic substances through glands on their skin. These substances are secreted in higher amounts when the toad feels threatened. When a toad is licked or eaten, absorption of these toxic substances through the mouth, open wounds or other mucous membranes results in poisoning. Toads are poisonous at all stages of life, including the tadpoles and eggs. Even drinking water from a bowl in which a toad was sitting or pond water containing eggs can result in poisoning.
What are the clinical signs of toad poisoning?

Within minutes of licking or ingesting a toad, drooling and frothing at the mouth occur. The gums may become very red and signs of pain, including pawing at the mouth or vocalizing, may be seen. Vomiting and diarrhea are common. Signs typically progress rapidly to include stumbling, tremors, seizures, abnormal eye movements, difficulty breathing, increased or decreased heart rate and abnormal heart rhythms. Without rapid treatment, death may occur.

Hickok
03-15-2023, 08:12 AM
thanks for all the replies. I am in north texas near wichita falls. My wife did rush the dog to the vet. The vet ruled out snake bite as she thinks it too cold still. My dog is doing fine now. The frog/toad makes since as we only see them after we have had rain, and it had been raining. When I was a kid when a dog got ahold of a toad he would foam and drool at the mouth. Kodi (my dog) is a back yard breader version of a pit, he is well over 100 pounds. His size and ability to swallow large chunks of food may have be his downfall. I hope he has learned his lesson.:D Good to hear!

GregLaROCHE
03-15-2023, 08:15 AM
Supposedly, modern rat and mouse poison needs to be consumed multiple times. If your vet has been practicing locally for a long time, he probably is correct.
Glad your pup is doing ok. Don’t think one experience will keep him away from them in the future. I and friends have had dogs attacking porcupines, but they never learn not to do it again.

MaryB
03-15-2023, 02:12 PM
Supposedly, modern rat and mouse poison needs to be consumed multiple times. If your vet has been practicing locally for a long time, he probably is correct.
Glad your pup is doing ok. Don’t think one experience will keep him away from them in the future. I and friends have had dogs attacking porcupines, but they never learn not to do it again.

Some dogs learn to never do it again... one of my friends had a brain dead husky that never learned... I helped pull quills once or twice a year until she got to old to explore the woods.

truckjohn
03-15-2023, 02:29 PM
I had to dose my current dog with peroxide when she was a pup due to eating rat poison. Luckily I saw her eat it and got it quick. The trouble is that there are dozens of different rat poison recipes and they all do different things.

The thing is that "How much did they eat" is often a factor of how much is available.

GregLaROCHE
03-15-2023, 07:10 PM
If you have a dog full of porcupine quills, roll him up in a tarp so he is immobilized and can’t bite you. Then take a 1x3 inch piece of wood and drill a whole in the middle. Then get some vodka, rum or whiskey in a plastic bottle. Fix a tube to the bottle with duct tape if necessary. When the dog opens his mouth, shove the wood in between his jaws. Then start squeezing the bottle forcing the alcohol down his throat. Careful not to chock him. After ten minutes he will be calmed down and you can start pulling the quills out. Alcohol has a tremendous calming effect on them. Even more than humans.

deces
03-15-2023, 07:47 PM
You can spray your yard with the insecticide pyrethrin, it is also effective against toads and such to some degree.
https://reptilesmagazine.com/external-parasites-treatment-for-reptiles-pyrethrins-and-permethrins/

elmacgyver0
03-15-2023, 07:52 PM
If you have a dog full of porcupine quills, roll him up in a tarp so he is immobilized and can’t bite you. Then take a 1x3 inch piece of wood and drill a whole in the middle. Then get some vodka, rum or whiskey in a plastic bottle. Fix a tube to the bottle with duct tape if necessary. When the dog opens his mouth, shove the wood in between his jaws. Then start squeezing the bottle forcing the alcohol down his throat. Careful not to chock him. After ten minutes he will be calmed down and you can start pulling the quills out. Alcohol has a tremendous calming effect on them. Even more than humans.

My dog only drinks the good stuff.

Rp-
03-15-2023, 10:22 PM
My dog only drinks the good stuff.My dog licks her ass so I'm sure she will be fine with the bottom shelf stuff.

trails4u
03-15-2023, 10:40 PM
My dog licks her ass so I'm sure she will be fine with the bottom shelf stuff.

I don't actually laugh out loud....ever. But ya got me!!

Thundarstick
03-16-2023, 05:04 AM
I don't actually laugh out loud....ever.

I'm sure if my wife where up, she'd be trying to figure out what I was cackling about at 4am!:lol:

T-Bird
03-19-2023, 10:35 AM
I'm a vet. The vast majority of rodenticides (rat poisons) are warfarin derivatives. They cause hemorrhage by interfering with the blood clotting mechanism and vit K1 is antidotal. In the beginning, warfarin was used, but rats soon became resistant and more and more powerful versions were developed which required smaller and smaller doses to be lethal. A single exposure is quite sufficient for lethality for these newer ones. The effects lake a day or 2 to be apparent, but lethargy and bleeding from multiple sites (or into body cavities) is expected. Consumption of poisoned rats is a possible source of intoxication for dogs. I've never heard of multiple site hemorrhage sites from toad intoxication, if that's what the local vet said....OK! We have several species of bufo toads here, Southern toad, Fowlers toad, Oak toad. All have the toxic parotid glands on either side of their neck. The most common signs of their toxicity is severe drooling, head shaking etc. Supposedly neuro signs, rapid heard rate, seizures are possible, I've never seen these and known it was from a toad. I think most of the time the dog drops the toad before that level of exposure occurs. I've seen my daughter's dog drop one so fast that the toad wasn't even injured from the encounter. I would like to know if there is a species that can cause hemorrhage. Learn something new everyday!

Finster101
03-19-2023, 11:24 AM
I did not intend to mislead the cause with the toad reference. I am certainly not a Veterinarian. Here in SW Florida the news is constantly mentioning the threat to pets from them so that it where my train of thought went. Hope the dog is doing well.