PDA

View Full Version : Home Use Tractor decision

metricmonkeywrench
03-13-2023, 02:28 PM
My best gal and I have been contemplating purchasing a tractor for home use on our 2.4 acres of property. As I'm getting older some chores/projects are becoming a bit of work. My basic initial requirements are Loader, Belly mower and Backhoe. Additional implements will likely come with time.

Of course 80% of the time it would be used for lawn mowing duties, with plenty of dirt/gravel movement for home improvement projects and the occasional Virginia Blizzard/hurricane cleanup. The first "at hand" project is stump removals followed by some grading/leveling and potentially a french drain or two. The property is sloping (I have almost flipped the rider in a few spots while learning the yard) and we do have some trees/obstacles to maneuver around. My fear is wishing I had more power (of course) with the downside of having something too big that is overkill after the first initial use (wase of money?). This is something i plan on keeping to the grave (mine or its) as an investment for our future property uses and the kids/grandkids move away and i don't really want to deal with all the ins and outs of rental equipment.

My search has taken me to 2 models to choose from equipped with my desired equipment and are roughly the same size, though they are not quite apples to apples comparison, the JD is classified as a Sub-Compact and the Kubota is a Compact. As equipped the Kubota is $3k more than the JD. I will consider other Mfgrs recommendations I just don't know what else is out there.

1. John Deere 1025R (the 2xxx Series seemed too big and doesnt seem to have a belly mower option)
2. Kubota B2601 (the BX series seemed to small)

Both models seem equally capable and oddly enough they both have about the same engine Hp with an edge to the Kubota as it is a "real" tractor and the 3 point hitch will be compatible with any full size attachments

I have looked on the secondary market around here and anything worth having is either used up or priced like the wheels are made of gold. I also don't want to spend a lot of time fixing other peoples problems, i make enough of my own...

Thoughts and recommendations?
Thanks in advance

HWooldridge
03-13-2023, 02:41 PM
Problems with a belly mower: You can't stick it in corners like a tail mounted shredder, and the dust/debris level is worse because it's right under the operator. Upside is that it makes for a more even cut on the grass.

My neighbor has a small Kubota that's about 25 years old and he's never had a lick of trouble with it. You might also look at Mahindra - they make a very good general purpose tractor, but a lot of the decision should rest on your local dealer support. An established distributor with a good reputation can provide useful guidance.

crappie-hunter
03-13-2023, 02:45 PM
I have a Kubota BX2660, 26hp , 60” belly mower, loader, no backhoe, you would be surprised at what it will do. However if I was buying another Kubota it would be the B series, only because it has two hydraulic pumps, mine is a 2013 model and that year the BX series only had one hydraulic pump, thus slow motion loader unless you run it full throttle which is a little crazy for moving 6” of snow. One pump for hydrostatic and loader

I’m not trading at 81yrs, but if I was I would look seriously at a Kioti,I’m told two hydraulic pumps even on the sub compact, one pump for hydrostatic drive and another for loader and backhoe

Reg
03-13-2023, 02:57 PM
The back hoe is a rather pricy option that in reality will see limited use, I would just rent as needed rather than just having it set for long periods of time. A three point mounted back blade with a front bucket is the handiest combination. A three point mounted mower in my book is a better mower for large areas but for nice lawns you can’t beat a zero turn mower in a smaller size for getting around trees, shrubs and general landscaping.
We have a Kabota but there is nothing wrong with the John Deere. Both are excellent small tractors each with their own good points.

dverna
03-13-2023, 03:14 PM
For what you will pay for a belly mower (MMM) you can nearly buy a zero turn. The ZT will cut your grass twice as fast. For real tractor work you will be removing the MMM and it is a pain to do....and then you need to store it where you can get at easily. Then you have to put the MMM on to cut grass. It gets old real quick. Before going with a MMM go to your dealer and make them show you "how easy it is". Then ask your gal if she can to it if you get hurt.

The "toy" tractors you are looking at (no offense meant but they are toys) are next to useless for stump removal. You need to add a lot of $$$ to get the backhoe and it is weak. Yes, you can pull stumps, but it will be either painfully slow and/or you will damage the tractor/BH. I have 20 acres and have had $600 of BM work done over the last 10 years. BH's are nice to have but a poor investment IMO. BTW, you will need to take it off and store it when using a grader blade, landscape rake or box blade etc. You should not store it outdoors.

When I upgraded from the old JD I went with an LS tractor. I got a lot more machine for the money. I would look at TYM tractors as well if you have dealers not too far away. Green and Orange tractors are good machines, but you are paying a lot for the colors.

Make up a list of tasks. Over buying either in size or attachments (like a BH) is not worth the investment for rarely done tasks.

buckwheatpaul
03-13-2023, 03:34 PM
My best gal and I have been contemplating purchasing a tractor for home use on our 2.4 acres of property. As I'm getting older some chores/projects are becoming a bit of work. My basic initial requirements are Loader, Belly mower and Backhoe. Additional implements will likely come with time.

Of course 80% of the time it would be used for lawn mowing duties, with plenty of dirt/gravel movement for home improvement projects and the occasional Virginia Blizzard/hurricane cleanup. The first "at hand" project is stump removals followed by some grading/leveling and potentially a french drain or two. The property is sloping (I have almost flipped the rider in a few spots while learning the yard) and we do have some trees/obstacles to maneuver around. My fear is wishing I had more power (of course) with the downside of having something too big that is overkill after the first initial use (wase of money?). This is something i plan on keeping to the grave (mine or its) as an investment for our future property uses and the kids/grandkids move away and i don't really want to deal with all the ins and outs of rental equipment.

My search has taken me to 2 models to choose from equipped with my desired equipment and are roughly the same size, though they are not quite apples to apples comparison, the JD is classified as a Sub-Compact and the Kubota is a Compact. As equipped the Kubota is $3k more than the JD. I will consider other Mfgrs recommendations I just don't know what else is out there.

1. John Deere 1025R (the 2xxx Series seemed too big and doesnt seem to have a belly mower option)
2. Kubota B2601 (the BX series seemed to small)

Both models seem equally capable and oddly enough they both have about the same engine Hp with an edge to the Kubota as it is a "real" tractor and the 3 point hitch will be compatible with any full size attachments

I have looked on the secondary market around here and anything worth having is either used up or priced like the wheels are made of gold. I also don't want to spend a lot of time fixing other peoples problems, i make enough of my own...

Thoughts and recommendations?
Thanks in advance

We are a Kubota family with three tractors and a zero turn mower. Have had John Deere and New Holland (Ford) and all were good. I personally would take the compact over the subcompact tractor as stump removal will be easier on the compact vs. the subcompact. My neighbor had a Kubota "B" series and it was a good machine. Our smallest tractor is a Kubota L3400 (34 HP) and it is a gem dandy. I like the heavier frame on the "L" series and frontend loading and backhoe applications will be easier on the "L" series. We bought the L3400 with 94 hours on it and it came with a frontend loader and turf tires with a total of 94 hours and it has been a wonderful machine. Buying slightly used brought the machine below the "B" series and if you look you will find a gently used machine from and individual that has been garage kept with low hours and you will like it better than a subcompact or compact tractor and it will serve you better IMHO.

Enjoy the hunt and get 'er done! Paul

MUSTANG
03-13-2023, 03:42 PM
I have a John Deere 3005 Tractor with numerous 3 point hitch attachments, from loader, and Backhoe I use on the Nevada and Montana properties. This is the smallest tractor I would consider.

thxmrgarand
03-13-2023, 04:06 PM
I've had a small Yanmar 4WD tractor for about 20 years. It was made for the US market. I bought it at a government sealed bid sale when it had 600 hours, with a trailer for transporting it, for $2,000. I knew the shop foreman and was not afraid of the machine. I have replaced the FEL hydraulic valve, and front tires, and that's about it. It came with BH & FEL. I have picked up a brush hog and 3 Pt Hitch finish mower over the years. Like my brother who has had larger Kubotas and Yanmars over the years, trading up as opportunities arose, I find the back hoe to be the handiest implement. It's frame mounted, and I would be afraid of a 3 Pt Hitch backhoe. I haven't done anything that made me wish I had more than the 16 horsepower, but I have to realize this is a light machine. At the same time it's only 46 inches wide so it can get in and out of any space. It's great at moving snow (with rear chains, of course), but now I have a very nice Bobcat skid steer and the warm heated cab it has would make me very sad to go back to plowing snow with the Yanmar. Also, the Bobcat has lights second only to a Boeing 737. The nearest Yanmar dealer is probably 900 miles away, but there is a Bobcat dealer 5 miles away. A dealer is important but I live in a remote place. The Yanmar is old enough that there is no computer, and since the huge parts and mechanics manuals are so good I think I can continue to get by without a dealer. The skid steer on the other hand is all computerized, but I am so far (85 hours I have put on since I bought it) very impressed with Bobcat (this one has a Kubota engine, 59 horsepower). I can watch someone do to the Yanmar and to the Bobcat on Youtube most anything, even watch a girl in a bikini put a new clutch in my model of tractor! Don't need a new clutch but have watched the video 3 times just in case. You might search a site like tractorbynet.com for experiences with each model you are considering. I would worry a little about a Tier IV machine but that technology is improving. A private sale on a low-hour machine at a really good price is where I look for stuff, and I like to buy machinery that has been kept out of the weather. I've used the Yanmar BH to dig out almost countless USTs, move a hot-tub, lift a V-8 out of a Thunderbird, and be a sky-hook for lots of neighbors' projects. Hope this is helpful to you.

MrWolf
03-13-2023, 05:34 PM
Listen to what Don Verna said. I have the Kubota bx loader, backhoe, but no mower. I much prefer using my cub cadet for that. My machine is way underpowered for a lot of things, especially if you try stumps. WAY WAY UNDERPOWERED. Mine fits the bill of being able to fit in my fenced in yard and do the things I need done as I am also unable to do physical work. I snow plow with mine (simple plow attachment, take off loader, real easy) If we don't get more than four inches, no plowing. Get the most powerful machine you can, you will, not regret the extra power. My brother is a service manager at a JD. After speaking to him and the lousy feeling I got at my local JD, I got the Kubota. Good luck
Ron

Shawlerbrook
03-13-2023, 05:42 PM
Love my NH Boomer 40 but I have 120 acres to tame.

BNE
03-13-2023, 06:02 PM
Stumps are very difficult. And the type tree it was also matters. I have a Mahindra 6065. With water filled tires and the grapple and the scarifier, it weighs in close to 10,000 pounds. Some trees can just be pushed over and then I can grab the root ball with the grapple and pry the whole tree out of the ground. Cedar and wild cherry tend to be easy up to 8” diameter. Gum trees? Forget it. They fight back!

My vote would be to go as big and heavy as you want to afford. And pick a known brand that has the closest dealer near you.
BNE

pworley1
03-13-2023, 06:04 PM
I don't have any experience with anything that small but there are many times when my old John Deere 310 four wheel drive backhoe is not enough. Have you thought about getting a small loader backhoe and a zero turn mower?

Eddie Southgate
03-13-2023, 06:15 PM
I use a JD 955 Diesel with a 72" belly mower because it was on the mower when I got it. I as some of the others much prefer a rear mounted finish mower . For more serious work I have two old Fords , a '63 2000 34 HP gas job and a 801 that's rated at 47 HP both are good tractors and normally are found cheap compared to modern tractors. Both are manual shift which I prefer over the Hydrostatic of the 955. The 955 however is MFWD and has modern and better working brakes . The 955 is in the low 30's on HP and about 27 at the PTO. Loaders are easier to find for the JD but can be found for the Fords for not too much. Gas tractors are usually cheaper to fix but in my mind the same sized Diesel does more work . For two acres I'd buy an older and cheaper small tractor for dirt and garden work and a small zero turn for mowing.

Alstep
03-13-2023, 06:17 PM
JD, NH, MF, & Kubota all have a pretty good reputation.
My neighbor had a Mahindra and it was all trouble right from the start. After 2 years of constant fixing, he traded it in for a MF. It was the only dealer who would take it in and he barely got anything for it. Lots of low hour Mahindras for sale at low prices, but their reputation is so bad nobody wants one around here.

nannyhammer
03-13-2023, 06:49 PM
We currently mow about 4.5 acres about every 8 to 10 days so we bought a JD 3032E several years ago. I added on the 72" finish mower the second year and it beat the crap out of the riding mower but was hard manuever around obstacles and in corners. Last year we picked up a 60" zero turn and it's actually significantly faster to mow with than the finish mower. They both have their place on our land.

Gator 45/70
03-13-2023, 07:41 PM
JD, NH, MF, & Kubota all have a pretty good reputation.
My neighbor had a Mahindra and it was all trouble right from the start. After 2 years of constant fixing, he traded it in for a MF. It was the only dealer who would take it in and he barely got anything for it. Lots of low hour Mahindras for sale at low prices, but their reputation is so bad nobody wants one around here.

Same with one of my cousins, His Mahindra is always acting up and in the shop. Never again he says will he buy another one.

Ickisrulz
03-13-2023, 07:51 PM
I have a Kubota BX25D and really like it. It came with a backhoe, of course, and I added a MMM, rototiller, flail mower and rear blade.

We mow 2.5 acres and have another 2.5 acres that are wooded with trails running through it.

It is not as powerful as the larger machines, but I get a lot done at a slower pace. No, I don't dig out stumps with the backhoe, but it does get used.

Mk42gunner
03-13-2023, 09:27 PM
Stumps are a lot harder to pull, and harder on a tractor, than people tend to think.

If you get a belly mower, you will do jobs that can be done with it on, or not do them. They do a good job, but severely limit the tractor for other uses. I know; I have a Woods L59 under a Kubota L175. I use my old WD that Grandpa bought new for any real tractor uses.

Honestly for two and a half acres, I would get a good lawnmower-- zero turn or rider, and rent the other equipment.

Robert

ulav8r
03-13-2023, 10:27 PM
Have used my BIL's Kubota BX23?, mostly the backhoe and FEL. Other than being just barely powerful to be useful my next largest problem with it is the small diameter tires. They make it harder to move over rough ground and less stable when working with the implements. It could also benefit from liquid filled rear tires.

trails4u
03-13-2023, 10:40 PM
I have a Mahindra 1635 that I've been really happy with so far. It's shuttle shift, 4wd and 36hp. We're working it pretty hard on 10 acres and so far, within reason, it's done everything I could ask of it. I also agree with the post above re: backhoe attachment. They are so rarely used by the average homeowner....I'd think twice about spending that money.

I chose the Mahindra because of the relatively small footprint for a 35+hp tractor. It's pretty dang compact but still has the HP to do what a sub tractor won't. If I had to come up with complaints....it's light in the back so you need weight on the 3-pt if you're doing heavy loader work. And because it's narrow....it's not as stable as a large tractor. Not too hard to get some wheels off the ground, particularly with a load on the front. I have zero regrets and would recommend one to anyone for homeowner/small homestead use.

Txcowboy52
03-13-2023, 10:49 PM
Spend the money on a Kubota and never look back , I have a 50 horse with a front end loader , the most useful piece of equipment I own. I bought mine with 0% financing for 5 years and my son recently bought one with the same. His is smaller with a front end loader and a belly mower, he absolutely loves his .

white cloud
03-13-2023, 11:12 PM
I am in TxCowboy's camp. We bought a new Kubota L2501 about six years ago. I take good care of it but it gets used a lot for a lot of different things. It has been flawlessly reliable and amazingly capable considering 25 HP.

samari46
03-13-2023, 11:47 PM
I had a JD sub compact with a belly mower. Seems everytime I went to use it,something needed repairs, In the short time I had it. I spent well over 2K on repairs. Sold it and bought a Kubota L3800 which they don't make any more. No repairs needed in 4 years. Just routine stuff. JD, wouldn't buy one if you paid me. The solenoid switch for the belly mower was jammed with a chip of metal. You'd think the mechanic who worked on my tractor would have found it. *** if you ask me. Frank

rbuck351
03-14-2023, 03:21 AM
About 6 ears ago we moved to a rural 13 acre place in MT. I knew I would be needing a piece of heavy duty equipment doing multiple jobs.
I found an older JD 500 series BH FEL ( about 16,000lbs, 88 hp diesel). It has a 1 1/4yd bucket on the front and will move a lot of dirt, snow or what ever quickly. Being a mechanic I'm not concerned about it's age 1978. I have pulled several fairly large stumps with it and it does a fairly good job. I have about a half acre of lawn and use and older Craftsman 18hp riding mower for that. Unless you are mowing large open fields, I would have a riding mower and a real tractor with a three point hitch for farm type work. Then rent a BH or mini excavator for stumps

dverna
03-14-2023, 08:08 AM
HP is not that important unless you are using things like blowers, tillers, bushhogs etc.

A tractors best friend is weight. Weight is where the traction comes from. It is one reason I had my rear tires filled. A ballast box is also a good addition to make lifting safer.

Lastly, if you buy used, make sure you get a FEL with SSQA so you can swap out attachments. Pin type loaders are not very handy to use. My most used FEL stuff are pallet forks and a grapple.

gmsharps
03-14-2023, 08:24 AM
I've got a Kubota 5040 which is too big for your use but for me it is perfect. It has a 1/2-yard bucket a bush hog and forklift blades for it. Had it since 2008 and have only had to do regular maintenance on it. Works great for me.

gmsharps

georgerkahn
03-14-2023, 09:35 AM
The BX25D Kubota I bought has proved to be the best, ever, addition! Two criteria for me at the time of purchase were monthly payments (I reckoned I could do <$250/mo -- and bion this one came out at $247.50!) and 2ndly, maneuverability. E.g., camp is 13 miles distance, and I wanted something i could easily pull to and from camp --primarily for work (fun!) there in summer and moving snow (which, bion, I also enjoy on BX25D) at home during winter. I bought a CarryOn trailer which pulls ever so nicely behind my little Toyota Tacoma! For most all bigger tractors I'd have needed a larger trailer and would have exceeded GVWR ratings (6,000 lbs) for my truck -- this weight is total of trailer PLUS whatever's on it!
I have an articulated snow blade on front; the front end loader; 54" belly mower; a LandPride back blade; a LandPride wood chipper, a LandPride Grapple, a couple of boom poles, a mid-buster, and a box blade for it. Changing from one attachment to another is quite easy -- even for me with one leg which doesn't work very well at all ;).
Since I've gotten it, I had on a very few occasion wished I'd bought a bigger machine -- but, you know, that I have to take 27 bucket loads with the BX25 I have versus, say, 21 bucket loads instead with a bigger machine...not, to me, thaaat significant. (If I was working for $$$ -- that might be a consideration, however) The backhoe is awesome, as are other attachments! And the grapple...wowsers -- I am in awe with all this tool does... the apple tree piece in photo weighted enough to almost lift rear tires off ground -- I needed 4wd to move tractor with it!311632
PLUS -- the Kubota service has been ALWAYS super-inexpensive and SUPER-good! I'd not even think of an alternative!
geo

MT Gianni
03-14-2023, 04:54 PM
If you are mowing more than an acre, fence it up and sheep it off. Hair sheep are almost trouble free and have no lanolin so taste way better than the wool breeds. With the banks as they are having food handy can be a nice thing.

Handloader109
03-14-2023, 08:57 PM
I've close to 4 acres that I mow. Half is really pasture, rest is lawn. I bought a 25hp cabelas branded TYM back in 2016 just about the time that bass pro bought them out. Got it with end loaded and belly mower was discounted, and then a tiller at about half price. I've mowed the grass since then, and while it work, it is hard to get in corners and really close, especially if the end loader is on it. I just bought a zero turn last fall that I'll be using for better mowing. The tractor is ok, but not the best. And it is TYM and Mahindra mower (25hp pretty much identical, TYM was building Mahindra model up to last year) the zero turn just mows better.
And you can't till at all with the mower on the tractor. And using any 3pt attachments moved mower deck up and down too. (My blade) So without the mower, it is a decent tractor. Beung a scut it's small, but I move a lot of stuff around with it. Look at everything close to you. LS, Branson (TYM now owns) Mahindra. I would NOT even consider the Tractors that Tractor supply or any of the farm supply stores sell. Think of Warranty and just service work. I've struggled with the cabelas branded as TYM WONT work on them and it's just up to me. I bought with the expectation of cabela servicing as they had at the time a true mechanic and service center 10 miles from me... which is now only a boat repair.....

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

ascast
03-15-2023, 09:02 AM
I think I would go with the Kubota. The few I have seen hold up well. The JD's seem to have things break for no reason at all. And repairs are overly expensive. I think the backhoe on those little toy tractors are kind of a waste -they work, but any job takes 2 or 3 times longer. You might better rent for weekend. When pulling stumps, are you talking christmas tree sized stuff or 150 year old maple? French drains-how long and deep? These kind of jobs will separate the chaff and wheat rather quickly. I have about 250 acres, mostly firewood and Christmas trees. I mow my lawn with a 1970 JD 112. Everthing else sees a Farmall M or International 300,330, or 350 Utility, or a JD 1010 dozer. Well good luck, I need more coffee.

GregLaROCHE
03-15-2023, 09:21 AM
My question is how much more than mowing do you need the tractor for? There are a lot of new types of mowers these days that make the job easier than with a tractor. If you have stumps to remove or other significant dirt work to be done, consider hiring a professional. In the long run it could save you a lot as well as making your mowing a lot easier.

georgerkahn
03-16-2023, 06:47 AM
My question is how much more than mowing do you need the tractor for? There are a lot of new types of mowers these days that make the job easier than with a tractor. If you have stumps to remove or other significant dirt work to be done, consider hiring a professional. In the long run it could save you a lot as well as making your mowing a lot easier.

GregLaROCHE made a very good point! As much as I adore my BX25D Kubota, that it IS a tractor versus a dedicated lawn mower -- or even those called "lawn tractors" -- I have both a Kubota and a John Deere riding (dedicated) mower for that task! The tractor is too high to get under most tree branches, and it's turning radius is such that steering about trees and similar becomes a challenge. Third, albeit I have Industrial tires -- a compromise from "Ag" or R4 tires to do less harm to turf -- just that one wants all the weight one can get on wheels for tractor traction is contra-indicative to desiring being gentle on the turf.
As a thought -- a rider PLUS the tractor (Kubota :)) may be the way to go? A last benefit would be your not needing to put on / take off the mower deck.
geo

GhostHawk
03-16-2023, 08:23 AM
Backhoe attachment brings a whole new level to "Shoot, shovel, and shut up"

I would be inclined to seperate the mowing from the other jobs that need doing.
A good mower will cost you less in fuel and upkeep compared to a larger unit.

Front loader + bucket, rear scraping blade and backhoe lets you tackle all kinds of big jobs.

Dad plowed the snow in the village I grew up in for 40 years with a smaller John Deer tractor.
Of course it was a losing proposition. It cost more in fuel and upkeep than he got paid.
But he was keeping out little village alive.

Handloader109
03-16-2023, 09:11 AM
Oh, most folks who have paid the extra $5k or 6k or more for a backhoe have said that it was more economical to go rent a real trencher for the few times most of us will dig a trench and it will either sit in the corner or be in the way in the tractor. And you won't be mowing with both the fel and the bh on it.

georgerkahn
03-16-2023, 08:04 PM
Oh, most folks who have paid the extra $5k or 6k or more for a backhoe have said that it was more economical to go rent a real trencher for the few times most of us will dig a trench and it will either sit in the corner or be in the way in the tractor. And you won't be mowing with both the fel and the bh on it.

Very well said, and some good points! My BX25D came as a package -- FEL, MM Mower, and Back Hoe as the "special". Advertised was you pay for two of these attachments, and the third is "free" ;) ;) -- plus 1/2-off on additional. My unit's total price was soooo attractive for what I got, I never thought re continual year after year use of the back hoe. I sure did use it the first couple of years -- God must dust my 18 acres with rock seeds, as they sure seem to grow over the winter and come up high enough to get hit by or, at the least, scrape mower blades. However, I have not had the 'hoe on in the past two years -- BUT -- I definitely have to dig some rocks -- quite a few in size larger than a basketball! -- this summer. Plus, I bought a 5' x 10' dog kennel and have hopes to use it as a deer and critter deterrent for a small veggie garden at camp, too -- the chain links might slow them down. I'll definitely be using the back hoe as an excavator, followed by the FEL to move top dirt in, and the front blade to level it.
Yes -- I am mixed if the back hoe really was a "good" investment -- but, I'll tell you I sure am HAPPY that I have it. Local John Deere rental gets $350.00/day plus $75 clean-up fee (one fee, regardless of how many days) and $135.00 drop-off pick-up fee. Hey -- the $1,360.80 they exact for three days' use -- is not too much below 1/2 of what I paid for mine -- to use whenever I wish.
geo

perotter
03-16-2023, 09:04 PM

Yes -- I am mixed if the back hoe really was a "good" investment -- but, I'll tell you I sure am HAPPY that I have it. Local John Deere rental gets $350.00/day plus $75 clean-up fee (one fee, regardless of how many days) and $135.00 drop-off pick-up fee. Hey -- the $1,360.80 they exact for three days' use -- is not too much below 1/2 of what I paid for mine -- to use whenever I wish.
geo

And you likely could sell the backhoe for 1/2 of what you paid for it if you decided you'd never need it again. More times than not, if a person really needed a piece of equipment, one comes out ahead buying it.

Thin Man
03-17-2023, 04:59 PM
Before you buy either machine you have to learn how close the high quality repair shop is located that can repair any issues with each tractor - for both brands. My hunting camp is located in the heart of John Deere country but my tractor is a Massey Ferguson 35. When I ask any repair parts vendor near that camp for simple repair parts for a Ferguson 35 they lean their head to the side and ask "Whaaaaaaaat???" This is the sound of experience. If they are equal, then the decision is yours with no regrets. Some guests at the camp ask why I keep so many repair parts there but they soon learn.

snowwolfe
03-18-2023, 02:22 PM
The back hoe is a rather pricy option that in reality will see limited use, I would just rent as needed rather than just having it set for long periods of time. A three point mounted back blade with a front bucket is the handiest combination. A three point mounted mower in my book is a better mower for large areas but for nice lawns you can’t beat a zero turn mower in a smaller size for getting around trees, shrubs and general landscaping.
We have a Kabota but there is nothing wrong with the John Deere. Both are excellent small tractors each with their own good points.

I use my backhoe as much, if not more than the FEL. If you plan on digging out stumps, ditch the box and buy a blade for the backhoe

Finster101
03-18-2023, 03:00 PM
Reading a lot of these comments I might as well throw in my two cents. I have 2 acres that I bought from my next door neighbor. He was renting his house at the time and had a DT4000 tractor that he threw in with the land. It was great while I needed to clear brush and bush hog till we built a house, then it was basically too big. With the house, a shed and polebarn it just became unhandy. I sold it and bought a John Deere 2025 compact with a FEL and belly mower and use it way more than the bigger Kubota. I realize some think bigger is always better, but I have found the right size tool for the job makes life easier. Kubota makes a fine compact model as well I just stumbled on a smoking deal on the John Deere. I cut my neighbors pasture in the summer with the belly mower because it gets tall really quick and the tractor has a bit more oomph. For my personal yard I use a zero turn mower cleaner cut and faster.

GregLaROCHE
03-19-2023, 12:40 AM
My neighbor had a mower without a steering wheel. It was steered like a Bobcat with two levers. He could spin around in the same spot and easily cut close around objects. It’s the best thing I’ve ever seen for mowing around a home with a few acres. It’s perfectly engineered for one particular job. Swiss Army knives can do a lot, but if you want to cut a lot of something, a straight bladed knife is best.

metricmonkeywrench
03-19-2023, 01:16 PM
Well its been a week since i posted, Yep the shopping high has faded and reality set in...

The basic question that had been rattelling around in my grape has been "do i really need a 35K lawnmower" Despite the number and size of projects we have the cost is just too much right now.

So I revert back to looking on the secondary market with the hopes of finding something suitable.

I do really appreciate all of your thoughts and input!!!

Thanks!!

buckwheatpaul
03-19-2023, 01:27 PM
Well its been a week since i posted, Yep the shopping high has faded and reality set in...

The basic question that had been rattelling around in my grape has been "do i really need a 35K lawnmower" Despite the number and size of projects we have the cost is just too much right now.

So I revert back to looking on the secondary market with the hopes of finding something suitable.

I do really appreciate all of your thoughts and input!!!

Thanks!!

I posted earlier about buying a used tractor....we wanted a L3400 Kubota and found one with 94 hours and had turf tires and a frontend loader for $15000.00l The smaller tractors tend to be garage kept and have low hours....you can often buy for less than half the new price and a tractor that size can take a decent backhoe setup and do virtually anything ya want except bail hay and carry really 6 x 4 round bales.....we have three tractors and two were bought new as they were depreciated on our ranch taxes but the used tractor is the one we use the most....hope this helps....Paul

Shawlerbrook
03-19-2023, 02:21 PM
Agree ! If you are just mowing a lawn, a good zero turn mower($10,000) is definitely a better tool than a $35,000 tractor. Like I said, I have 120 acres and I brush hog 10-25 acres yearly. I also have a long, wide driveway and we get 100-175” of snow each season. My NHBoomer has been invaluable so far.

MUSTANG
03-19-2023, 03:00 PM
If mowing is the prime requirement - hard to beat the value of a Cub Cadet Zero Turn Mower for less than $4,000.00. I have has this model for the last dozen years. Works great for the 6 Acres at the Moapa House. Montana with the Rocks on the Mountain are a little different story. Once we have the property finally "De-Rocked" and grass established; this will be the choice for "Lawns" as compared to Pastures (John Deere with either Bush or Flail Mowers on 3 point).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet-Ultima-ZT1-50-in-Fabricated-Deck-23HP-V-Twin-Kawasaki-FR-Series-Engine-Dual-Hydro-Drive-Gas-Zero-Turn-Riding-Lawn-Mower-Ultima-ZT1-50/314732004

https://www.cubcadet.com/dw/image/v2/BCSH_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-mtd-master-catalog/default/dw1d89b2c9/products/Equipment/Cub-Cadet_ZT150_6.jpg?sw=740&sh=740&sm=fit

farmbif
03-19-2023, 03:17 PM
I guess if money is no object then $35k for a tractor to take care of 2.5 acres might be fun. ever since the Kohler engine in my $8500 commercial zero turn decided it doesn't want to run anymore I just use a 4 foot bush hog behind my 60 year old ford 4000 and an old sarlo self propelled walk behind to cut the acres of grass on my place.
ive almost got my 69hp 4 wd tractor with loader working again, since I got all the hydraulic cylinders rebuilt it will lift 4400 pounds, that one cost me all of $800 out of the scrap yard a dozen years ago, and have a total of about $1500 into parts and repairs and it needs a new one $700 radiator but it runs great as long as I keep the tanks filled up. it runs a 6' bush hog or box grader and even an old 6' wide 3 point rototiller that I got at an auction for a $200, I guess there are not too many like me that like to buy stuff coated in late model rust.
every time I go to the local rural king store I look at the shiny new tractors out front and wonder what it might be like if I were to $20 something thousand on one with all kinds of new accessories.

Finster101
03-19-2023, 03:41 PM
I bought my JD 2025 with a FEL, belly mower and the I-hitch setup used for 16K. It only had 40 hours on it. Deals are out there. You just have to be patient and keep looking for them. Honestly, if you mainly need to cut grass on a 2 1/2 acre parcel a zero turn is a better choice.

farmerjim
03-19-2023, 04:40 PM
I have downsized to 10 acres (2 in a pond) We cut the 8 acres of grass with a zero turn. Much faster than my 6 foot finish mower. Rent a backhoe when you need one.

ascast
03-19-2023, 04:54 PM
Having mowed acres weekly as a kid, I can say you should sell the grass as hay, cheap. Take three cuttings. Or, let somebody graze it.

GregLaROCHE
03-20-2023, 04:59 AM
Having mowed acres weekly as a kid, I can say you should sell the grass as hay, cheap. Take three cuttings. Or, let somebody graze it.

This makes sense if there is a farmer near by, that makes his own hay and he supplies the equipment and effort. I know people who do this in exchange for some manure for their vegetable garden.

Thundarstick
03-20-2023, 05:15 AM
Since 2 cents are being thrown in, here's mine.

I have 6 acres, no rocks, have done stone dirt work, and have gardens. After the tractor feaver wore off, I really thought about it this way. How many hours a year will I realistically put on a tractor for tractor jobs? My tractor jobs are a rear tine tiller, field cultivator, dirt scoop, and box blade. I have probably averaged less than 20 hours a year on my tractor, and just couldn't justify buying a new tractor. I bought an old Yanmar grey market tractor for real tractor work, and a large diesel zero turn mower. In 7 years I've probably put less than a hundred hours on the tractor, and 300 hours on the mower! I'd love to have a new Kubota, I just can't justify it in my own head.