PDA

View Full Version : Umarex Notos

chutesnreloads
03-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Been looking for a PCP that serves my needs better than the Origin I already posted about.
Criteria is :
1) Substantially more compact
2) Head shot on squirrel accurate to 30 yards
3) No wandering POI
4) Substantially less powerful than the Origin
5) If it will shoot cheap pellets accurately that's a plus

The Notos seems to do all that. Only had it for the weekend so far but I'm impressed.
It will need some trigger work but from what I've read and seen that should be simple.
Even stock from the factory it meets all the criteria. Should be a perfect back yard pest
eliminator.
Ask me in a year or so if I'm still pleased with the purchase. That'll be the real test

georgerkahn
03-13-2023, 05:46 PM
chutesnreloads -- this airgun is a new offering to me; thank you for posting re it. I note Pyramid has it unavailable for about six weeks which has attenuated a bit my making an impulse purchase of one! Sooo much I LIKE: .22 calibre; 21 regulated shots per fill; the shrouds making it quiet; the stock arrangement in itself. They do not list its weight -- do you have a rough idea? Also -- do you have a 'scope on yours?
Hey -- I'm almost a cripple and need another airgun like the proverbial hole-in-the-head. BUT you have me intrigued... Thanks for sharing!
geo311599

elmacgyver0
03-13-2023, 06:37 PM
Why would you want less power?

georgerkahn
03-13-2023, 07:13 PM
I don't know to whom you directed your "want less power?" query -- but I'll provide "my" answer. To wit, the magic power number in the UK is "12" for any air arm, unless one has a special license/permit (the way I understand it) for an arm with higher power. This arm boasts "14" -- more than ample -- 'specially considering the tons of rabbit meat consumed in the UK harvested with <12 arms. :) For me, a 2nd reason is that generally power and sound level run on a parallel course: With more power comes in more noise. For back-yard critter abatement, lower noise is a gigantic plus! And 3rd, the lower the power, too, the lower the recoil. We'd have to check with OP, but my guess this is negligible -- if even a factor -- with this arm.
Hey -- if one can be most happy with their, say, Ford Focus (as is my wife) -- why would one need a NASCAR car? :) :) :)
One definition of life is compromises. Perhaps this arm is an array of them -- and, part of the equation ends in a lower than max power level. So be it... The more I think on it, I am planning on adding one to my stable.
geo

chutesnreloads
03-13-2023, 08:48 PM
Yes it is scoped with a UTG 3x9. I seen others with red dots. It comes with no sights but a substantial picatinny rail.
Seen one mounted with AR style flip up iron sights. One thing I didn't mention is you may want to go with taller rings
or it may be difficult to get your cheek low enough to see through the sight.
I'm sure its weight is listed somewhere but I'd guess around 4 pounds. Really short and light.

Reason for less power? All George said and more. It is quiet but SEEMS a bit louder than my Origin, maybe
because the muzzle is so much closer to my ears. Main reason is where I use it. Backyard squirrels.
It doesn't take a lot of power to take a squirrel at 30 yards or less. The over powered PCPs over
penetrate and it's impossible to predict where the pellet will go after leaving the squirrel. I've heard pellets hit
the fence I know were moving fast enough to break a window. Less power means the pellet stays in the squirrel
or if it exits, it is going slow enough not to damage anything. Too many windows in the neighborhood.
Of course I'm very selective and have to be patient to make only shots that can't harm or even bother the neighbors.

elmacgyver0
03-14-2023, 05:26 PM
I always make sure of my backstop, so over penetration of a squirrel isn't an issue, also sometimes I miss the squirrel, so making sure of what is behind it is an issue.
Hey, I get it and understand.
I have guns that hardly make it thru one side of a pop can, but they are still fun.

Scrounge
03-14-2023, 10:55 PM
I always make sure of my backstop, so over penetration of a squirrel isn't an issue, also sometimes I miss the squirrel, so making sure of what is behind it is an issue.
Hey, I get it and understand.
I have guns that hardly make it thru one side of a pop can, but they are still fun.

Yep. You can shoot cans with a .357 Magnum, or even a 12ga. shotgun. Once or twice. ;) But you can shoot them all day with .22 shorts or CB or BB caps. I've got a couple of .177 air rifles my brother gave me. Have used them to kill rats in the house and the back yard. I'd LIKE to have something about .50 cal in an air rifle, but so far, the .177's have been adequate for what I NEED! ;)

Bill

georgerkahn
03-16-2023, 08:21 PM
Lucky me will (God willing) be adding one more candle to my (birthday) cake next week, and I received a "Birthday Pricing Special" from the good folks at Midway USA dot com... Soooo.... happy birthday to me: I ordered one. Birthday pricing? $219.30 USD. Now the bad news -- it is presently out of stock, but it is due in... tomorrow! (St. Patrick's Day/ 3/17) Thanks again, chutesnreloads -- God willing, I have another toy headed my way! (The fingers and toes are all crossed in hopes MidwayUSA will in fact get at least one :) in tomorrow...)
geo

elmacgyver0
03-17-2023, 06:10 PM
Hope you get it by your birthday.
Looks cool, Sci-Fi blaster like.
You will be able to ward off an alien invasion.[smilie=l:

chutesnreloads
03-17-2023, 08:07 PM
Do hope you enjoy it George.
Got a chance to shoot mine at 50 yards yesterday...
winds a little swirly, didn't expect much. shot a couple at 15 yards to confirm zero...
last 5 out of the 7 shot mag at 50 yards. I know, one 5 shot group means nothing, BUT
all 5 landed inside a one inch square with 4 I was able to completely cover with a nickle.
This with the cheap Crosman pellets from WalMart
Now I'm reading it will shoot slugs accurately. Don't have a need for that but hey...

georgerkahn
03-18-2023, 09:25 AM
chutesnreloads -- Sadly, MidwayUSA site indicates it is still on "backorder"; the anniversary of my birth is Wednesday (22nd) so maybe (I hope) I'll get lucky. In anticipation I did quite an extensive search to learn that no-one that I inquired to has 7-round magazines... So I'll need be patient -- assuming these will eventually appear.
BUT -- I did find -- on the Umarex site -- the plastic grips ($9.99) to convert the carbine into a pistol; and, their fibre-optic site set ($9.99) -- and have these coming. (Umararex is out of stock vis magazines, too.)
dverna -- Don -- posted the value of "el cheapo" pellets (he bought (as I did from his advice) from Amazon) and -- for recreational "can/rock shooting" at camp (w/ Benjamin Marauder .22 Pistol) they can't be beat!

chutesnreloads
03-18-2023, 09:54 AM
Know how you feel.... When I decided to pull the trigger, Pyramid Air had just sold out so I just ordered off Amazon.
Will be wanting a spare mag or two. The single shot tray that it comes with is pretty decent. Don't remember where
but seems like I remember reading about some higher capacity mags available after market.

Abert Rim
03-21-2023, 10:11 AM
George, what's this about a Midway birthday discount? Mine is Thursday the 23rd.

W.R.Buchanan
03-26-2023, 08:52 PM
Geo< Have a look at this one before you jump in.https://www.pyramydair.com/product/hatsan-jet-i?m=5737 There is also another one like it with 2 Air tanks on board.

Randy

chutesnreloads
03-27-2023, 04:22 PM
Yes that Jet has generated quite a bit of interest lately too

georgerkahn
03-27-2023, 05:49 PM
George, what's this about a Midway birthday discount? Mine is Thursday the 23rd.

Albert Rim -- one of the really super great perk's of being a MidwayUSA customer is their birthday discount. You might go to their sight and read about it.... Here's a paste of this year's eMail from them -- which saved me about sixty U S dollars on the Notos and one other item "I had to have"! Happy birthday to me!!! :) :) :)

"Dear GEORGE,

Your birthday is coming soon, and to help you celebrate, MidwayUSA is giving you access to special Birthday Pricing on thousands of products throughout our website. There are some restrictions on products available for Birthday pricing, such as items on sale or clearance, quantity limited products, and those whose prices are set by our Suppliers, but the good news is there are still thousands of products to choose from at a great discount - just for your birthday!
Here's how it works:

To access your birthday pricing, you must sign-in to the same account to which we sent the Birthday announcement (xxxxxx@xxxx.xxx). Once you're signed in, Birthday pricing will be automatically applied, and you will see a banner wishing you Happy Birthday.

Your birthday pricing is available on one order only and is good starting 7 days prior to your birthday and 7 days after your birthday."

Abert Rim
03-28-2023, 11:06 AM
Well I'll be darned. I have been a loyal customer with them for years, spent thousands. I wonder if their email went to my spam folder ...

Abert Rim
03-28-2023, 11:13 AM
By the way, I happened to see this review of the Notos in Outdoor Life.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/umarex-notos-review/

Dapaki
04-02-2023, 09:55 AM
I picked up a Notos last month and promptly chopped off the fake bag rider for greater comfort on my wrist. I have also been working with a couple good men that designed and printed several moderator inserts for me.

Does it NEED a different insert? No, it sounds fine BUT if I can drop the dB by 6, I can hit Starlings and HOSP's without the whole flock leaving the area.

I did have to remove the barrel and really scrub the barrel, it was filthy! I ran JB Bore Paste then metal polish, heated the bore and waxed it to help with leading. Shoots nicely at 30y, I will not go further with it, too much chance of a wounded bird not a DRT.

dverna
04-02-2023, 11:38 AM
Air gun barrels are relatively "soft". I would be leery of doing what Dapaki did. He right about barrels being filthy. I had terrible accuracy until I cleaned them. I was lucky with my PCP's and was able to clean the barrels using Ballistol.

Rockindaddy
04-02-2023, 12:25 PM
Have .177's, 22's, and 25 cal air guns. The 25 cal PCP,s (pre charged pneumatics) that are charged with a scuba bottle are very powerful. The German 31gr lead pellets are coming out almost 900fps. I have taken out big boar raccoons with the H&N .25 cal pellets. Lots to consider when making an air gun purchase. I like the fact that they take no primers at $ .10 each and powder at $30/ lb to have fun shooting. Pellets both .177 and .22 are cheap at the Wally Mart! Another consideration!

dverna
04-02-2023, 03:50 PM
Have .177's, 22's, and 25 cal air guns. The 25 cal PCP,s (pre charged pneumatics) that are charged with a scuba bottle are very powerful. The German 31gr lead pellets are coming out almost 900fps. I have taken out big boar raccoons with the H&N .25 cal pellets. Lots to consider when making an air gun purchase. I like the fact that they take no primers at $ .10 each and powder at $30/ lb to have fun shooting. Pellets both .177 and .22 are cheap at the Wally Mart! Another consideration!

You got that right. Not wasting primers to plink with. I am a convert too.

I have been looking at getting a .25. Just too cheap to spend $7-10/100 when I am getting good accuracy with $1.25/100 Crosman .22's. I fhad to eradicate varmints in around neighbors, a .25 would be a great choice.

chutesnreloads
04-02-2023, 06:02 PM
I picked up a Notos last month and promptly chopped off the fake bag rider for greater comfort on my wrist. I have also been working with a couple good men that designed and printed several moderator inserts for me.

Does it NEED a different insert? No, it sounds fine BUT if I can drop the dB by 6, I can hit Starlings and HOSP's without the whole flock leaving the area.

I did have to remove the barrel and really scrub the barrel, it was filthy! I ran JB Bore Paste then metal polish, heated the bore and waxed it to help with leading. Shoots nicely at 30y, I will not go further with it, too much chance of a wounded bird not a DRT.

Yep, All kind of gunk in the barrel but was easy to clean with a few patches. 30 yards is a respectable distance for these short little carbines.
Quite accurate until about 30 yards and then I'm struggling to hold really nice groups. Some of that may be the cheap scope and my trigger is still stock from the factory. Think biggest trouble for longer range accuracy is just finding a steady hold. Not used to such a short gun.
But then 30 yards was it's farthest intended range when I got it anyway.

georgerkahn
04-02-2023, 07:54 PM

I received an eMail from MidwayUSA indicating MY NOTOS is still on back-order, but with the price (birthday pricing) I got it for, I can wait a bit... QUESTION: Might you share the brand, model, and height of the rings you put on yours? 'Tis a MOST pleasing the eye outfit!
Thanks!
geo

Dapaki
04-05-2023, 10:34 PM
I received an eMail from MidwayUSA indicating MY NOTOS is still on back-order, but with the price (birthday pricing) I got it for, I can wait a bit... QUESTION: Might you share the brand, model, and height of the rings you put on yours? 'Tis a MOST pleasing the eye outfit!
Thanks!
geo

It's a 3X12 Bug Buster, they come with rings!

Abert Rim
04-06-2023, 07:12 AM
Sure some good threads on these at AG Nation.

Dapaki
04-09-2023, 10:26 PM
Yupper, I started the aftermarket printed moderator thing over there.

chutesnreloads
04-11-2023, 09:08 PM
Been following all the Notos threads over there. Doubt I'll modify mine other than trigger work but it's good to read what others are doing.
BTW, try the JSB Exact 14.35 gr. They are a little pricier but so far the absolute most accurate in mine

Dapaki
04-15-2023, 10:31 PM
Been following all the Notos threads over there. Doubt I'll modify mine other than trigger work but it's good to read what others are doing.
BTW, try the JSB Exact 14.35 gr. They are a little pricier but so far the absolute most accurate in mine

True that but I keep the Notos to 30y or so, the JSB's are better suited for a longer range gun IMHO.

chutesnreloads
04-16-2023, 08:21 AM
Agree with the 30 yard limit. Been doing that with several AGs for a long while. Range guesstimation farther is just too critical for anything besides just fun shooting. I'm finding the JSBs enough better at 25-30 yards they may warrant using.
Interestingly, I'm finding the CPHPs and JSBs look like they can use the same zero interchangeably out to 30 yards. Still need more testing to prove that but if so could keep a couple JSBs handy for longer critical shots.

Bowhunter73
05-04-2023, 11:29 AM
Here's my Notos haven't gotten to shoot it much yet had a shoulder replacement, I did a lite trigger mod that helped will work on that more when I get healed up, accuracy was good for me to 25 yards farthest I've shot it.313699313700

chutesnreloads
05-06-2023, 09:01 AM
I've had time to do more testing since my last post. The JSBs and CPHPs do NOT share the same zero but they are close.
The cheaper pellets are good enough out to 30 yards but groups open up with small unexplained flyers. My tin of JSBs
is kind of old and been bouncing around in the range bag so has quite a few pellets with deformed skirts.
I shot four 5 shot groups with randomly pulled from the tin CPHPs then just for fun picked out JSBs that had buggered
skirts and shot four 5 shot groups with them all at 30 yards. The JSBs were all better groups. Guess they're soft enough
the pressure straightens them out in the barrel. Still not convinced they're worth the extra $ over the Crosmans but thought
I'd share

georgerkahn
05-22-2023, 07:46 PM
NOTOS headed my way!!! To celebrate my (22 March) birthday, I used MidwayUSA "Birthday Bucks" gift from them to order a NOTOS -- this on 13 March 2023. The price? $219.30 USD!, but the sad fact is their stock sold out, and I'd need wait for one...
Well (drum roll here?)... I got an eMail from Midwayusa this morn that the NOTOS is in fact back in stock! I 'had' to ring them, and associate advised I spend one U S dollar more to upgrade shipping to UPS -- and (MidwayUSA advised it was shipped, even providing a tracking number) I am scheduled to receive it on Wednesday. Wowsers! Day after tomorrow!!! (An added 'thank you' to Don (Dverna) for his heads-up re really inexpensive .22 pellets on Amazon!) So... God willing -- I'll be having fun with it at camp on Thursday.
Assuming others may have also been in want of a NOTOS -- I reckoned I'd post MidwayUSA having them back in stock!
geo

chutesnreloads
05-22-2023, 08:25 PM
Congrats, Been really enjoying mine. The cheap Crosman pellets at WallyWorld are the second best performers in it so far.

georgerkahn
05-23-2023, 09:28 AM
Congrats, Been really enjoying mine. The cheap Crosman pellets at WallyWorld are the second best performers in it so far.

Being "Curious Geo" here :) -- what have you found to be the best performers in your Notos? (Bion, w/ my bad/bum leg, I have set up several fixed targets which are spinners and the like -- my favourite being the Action Armour Quadrant Target 314309 which I have about 11 meters from my bench -- e.g., close to 10-meter if I were standing. Hence, I do not require either an arm or pellets which might regularly hit a gnat in the butt at this range :).)
BUT, again, I am curious re your "top" pellets?
[PS -- Airguns of Arizona is only vendor I'm aware of who sells Quadrant target -- "BEST!!!" I've ever had/used!]
geo

chutesnreloads
05-23-2023, 03:32 PM
For that set up at 10 meters, I wouldn't look any further than the Crosmans. For mine, the JSB 14.35 grain are best so far and I
can't see anything being able to top them. They cost about double the Crosman pellet and you need to stretch the range out beyond 25 yards
and shoot from a very sturdy shooting position like a bench and sand bags to really appreciate just how much better they are. Out there my JSB groups are near half the size of the Crosman and mind the Crosman are pretty good. I find the Notos with its short lightweight compactness and less than ideal trigger a challenge to shoot really accurately ( by my standards ) without something solid to rest it on be it a door frame, fence post, or bags on a bench. I got mine mainly for back yard squirrel control and it has performed as well as I'd hoped
it would maybe even better than I thought it could with pellets it likes from the bench. Oh yeah, and it's just fun to shoot

georgerkahn
05-24-2023, 07:49 AM
For that set up at 10 meters, I wouldn't look any further than the Crosmans. For mine, the JSB 14.35 grain are best so far and I
can't see anything being able to top them. They cost about double the Crosman pellet and you need to stretch the range out beyond 25 yards
and shoot from a very sturdy shooting position like a bench and sand bags to really appreciate just how much better they are. Out there my JSB groups are near half the size of the Crosman and mind the Crosman are pretty good. I find the Notos with its short lightweight compactness and less than ideal trigger a challenge to shoot really accurately ( by my standards ) without something solid to rest it on be it a door frame, fence post, or bags on a bench. I got mine mainly for back yard squirrel control and it has performed as well as I'd hoped
it would maybe even better than I thought it could with pellets it likes from the bench. Oh yeah, and it's just fun to shoot

Thanks -- I have better "luck" with JSB pellets in most of my air-X stuff -- primarily in Beeman/Weihrauch pistols! I should have added vis my 10-meter range, albeit I am sitting it is free-hand/off-hand shooting: no rests. I also have targets (actually pipes driven in ground on which to place targets) at 25 yards, 40 yards, and fifty yards. I use the latter primarily for air-rifle target shooting and yes -- often from a rest.
BUT -- for a short-range "squirrel-getter" like the NOTOS -- which is scheduled for delivery to me, today :) -- I reckon I'll make its acquaintance ;) -- off hand at 10-meters. I bought, from Umarex web-site -- their sight-set, and plan on first shooting with that. Too, I'll take a couple of 'scopes with me and perhaps try them as well... LOTS of fun (for me) getting to make friends with most any firearm -- including (I'm hoping!) this one!
geo

georgerkahn
05-25-2023, 06:31 AM
It's a 3X12 Bug Buster, they come with rings!

Dapaki -- From your suggested 'scope I ordered one last night. Sadly (???) Pyramid has three different listings for the "Bug Buster", and this is the one I have coming:314351 I do like the AO feature! I hope/trust it will do all I want/"need" it for :). Total ante came to $166.28 USD for the 'scope plus a $4.00 tube of Pell-gun Oil. (I needed add an item to increase purchase to >$150.00 to get free shipping ;)).
Thinking on it this morn, with the Notos in the $250.00 range PLUS this (relatively inexpensive, as far as 'scopes go) $160.00 Bug Buster comes to $410.00. Add the optional plastic pistol grips and Umarex's sight-set raises costs still another sixty dollars.
Wowsers! This air-carbine is NOT a "cheapie"! BUT -- I can't wait to get the 'scope and see what it (me???) will do!
geo

dverna
05-25-2023, 09:20 AM
George, look at the cost to shoot. While most people plink with .22's costing over $.06 a shot or cast bullets that need a $.10 primer, plus another few pennies of power, you are plinking with $.02 pellets. And in my case, my air guns are more accurate than bargain .22's or cast loads out to 50 yards.

I used to do most of my plinking with .38's and 9mm when primers were less than $25/k. Now I shoot air guns. I do not miss picking up brass, cleaning brass, casting bullets, lubing bullets, or reloading. And I do not need to wear muffs!

Enjoy your new gun and let us know how it performs.

BTW, all my air guns were "free". I sold guns I was not using. Since getting such good results, I decided to sell more of my "plinking" guns that are too expensive or labor intensive to feed. That will not "work" for everyone, but it works for this old man.

georgerkahn
05-25-2023, 10:24 AM
George, look at the cost to shoot. While most people plink with .22's costing over $.06 a shot or cast bullets that need a $.10 primer, plus another few pennies of power, you are plinking with $.02 pellets. And in my case, my air guns are more accurate than bargain .22's or cast loads out to 50 yards.

I used to do most of my plinking with .38's and 9mm when primers were less than $25/k. Now I shoot air guns. I do not miss picking up brass, cleaning brass, casting bullets, lubing bullets, or reloading. And I do not need to wear muffs!

Enjoy your new gun and let us know how it performs.

BTW, all my air guns were "free". I sold guns I was not using. Since getting such good results, I decided to sell more of my "plinking" guns that are too expensive or labor intensive to feed. That will not "work" for everyone, but it works for this old man.

Sir (dverna) -- I sooo concur with you re just about all you wrote! Getting me "into" airguns were primarily my desire to shoot at camp where powder-powered arms are (technically) legal -- e.g., distance from dwellings, etc. -- but to be truthful when "neighbors" target shoot I, frankly, on occasion find it annoying -- specially when guests are present and the gunshots get them nervous -- so I do not wish to be the one to annoy other good neighbors; and, too, my knee/leg progressing from bad to worse which has really put a damper on, say, 75-yard target posting/retrieval.
My first air arm was a Smith & Wesson CO2 pistol I bought for less than fifty U S dollars! When my boys were young, I got Crosman springer rifles at maybe ten dollars more. I was expressing the difference vis those, say, Crosman sixty dollar springers versus the ~$460.00 for this Notos! While I do not have any of the several-thousand dollar PCPs out there, I do have a few "expensive" (to my budget) ones, including springer pistols by Beeman and Weihrauch; PCP's by Alpha Proj and Benjamin.
Thanks to YOU -- your notes re Amazon pellets pricing -- I bought, well, perhaps more than I will ever shoot (albeit I'll be trying :)) -- so the money is already spent. My sister regularly reminds me that I am now, "three-quarters of a century old" -- so I do reluctantly need admit I may be past my prime...
I viewed a couple of YouTubes on the Notos, and if mine will shoot as well as those -- I will, indeed, be ecstatic! For both YouTubes, pellets in the 15 to 18 grain range seemed to perform the best. A starting point for me :).
geo

dverna
05-25-2023, 01:11 PM
https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1965?amount=60

If you bought that springer in 1965 for $60 that is equivalent to over $550 today. I bet your new gun and scope for $410 are far superior to that Crosman springer...just saying.

BTW, it is one reason I decided guns were not as good an investment as most people want to believe.

Actually, $60 invested in the stock market in 1965 would be worth nearly $15,000 today.

https://www.officialdata.org/us/stocks/s-p-500/1965?amount=60&endYear=2023

I think about the guys patting themselves on the back for buying old surplus rifles back in the day for $15-80. Just not very savvy but it does make them feel good. Guns are to shoot and have fun with...and might be needed to hunt and defend your life with.

Love my guns and will keep the "toys" I want until I die; even if the politicians try to restrict my rights. There is Second Amendment for a reason.

georgerkahn
06-08-2023, 07:40 AM
RANGE REPORT: Well, I've had my Notos for a few days, and finally made/spent an afternoon shooting it. From this, I have a few comments I shall wish to voice:
1/ The carbine comes unassembled, and one needs screw on the back half -- OR, pistol grips which do NOT come with it, and are an optional accessory -- to use it.
a) The holes in back half are a smidgeon too small, and needed reaming enlargement by yours truly for assembly.
b/ NOW the stupidity of the supplied box is clearly revealed, as one must again disassemble it -- four small-headed easily dropped/lost screws -- to put it back into the box.
1> My "solution" was to purchase an Uncle Mike's take-down shotgun case, which now carries assembled Notos.
2/ Per another member's suggest, I bought and put on the Bug Buster 3x-9x 'scope (Pyramid Air), and have no comments/thoughts other than GOOD ones. It fits, works, and using the QD mounts is most repeatable.
3/ I used my Nomad compressor to fill, and this was problem-free. I got an average of 23.5 regulated shots from each fill.
4/ Albeit "designed for" break-barrel air rifles, I found the Air Venturi .22 Pellet Pen "the cat's meow" for field loading the magazine. No fumbling, dropped pellets, etc..
5/ Re noise level I was a tad disappointed. While I own no sound level meters, mine sure seems louder than any of my four Benjamin Marauders; or, the AirArms T100 or S100.
6/ Re accuracy, I took only one pellet to the range: The RWS Superdome 14.5 grain field line pellets. It took me pretty much one magazine to get it sighted in -- I was shooting to target at 37 feet, as measured with a 50' measure tape. Subsequent magazines provided one hole, about the size of a U S quarter-dollar coin. I was most pleased to NOT have/see either a first- or, "last"-shot flyer. Pretty much all my shots were consistant with the goodness (or badness?) of my shooting ability. I was seated at a bench with one huge sand-bag rest between my left hand and and the carbine.
Would I buy it again? You betcha! :) :) :)
I did purchase the sight-set from Umarex, too, to put this carbine through its paces as a "pistol". I was having soooo much fun doing the testing/set-up as a carbine I kind of ran out of time.... Maybe (God willing) next time...
geo

chutesnreloads
06-11-2023, 07:09 AM
Glad you like it Geo. Mine took a little finageling to get them tiny screw holes lined up too. Wish they'd gone with larger screws.
Never had any intention of trying to use mine as anything but a carbine. Seems a bit long/heavy to shoot as a pistol to me.
Try different pellets. I'm sure you can shrink those groups a good bit.
On those 1st shot flyers.... That may be what really got me loving this thing. Pick it up by the moderator, lean it against a tree,
lay it down, I don't have to baby it and it holds zero.
Had mine out yesterday shooting at 40 yards off the bench. Started really close to needing a fill and 1st 5 shots were pretty uniform left to right but near 4 inch vertical spread, guessing it dropped off the regulator. Easy 50 strokes on the hand pump and its full again.
Gave myself a little time to rest from pumping and did couple chores. When I got back to it, was able to put 15 JSB 14.3 into a group
I could near cover with a quarter. Just the edges of holes sticking out under the coin. Now I can only do that from a comfortable steady
shooting position like bags on a bench, but for such a short light carbine, I think it's pretty impressive.
I'd like to complain about the trigger but honestly, having it this long now and haven't taken it apart to slick up the parts, Guess
it just doesn't bother me that much.
Yeah, I would buy it again too

W.R.Buchanan
06-11-2023, 12:25 PM
Geo: Did you clean the barrel? You will be surprised how dirty they are from the factory.

Randy

Camba
08-17-2023, 08:13 PM
I had been thinking a lot on this notos since I read these posts.
I had almost “pull the trigger” to buy it a few times. I don’t know yet what is stopping me.
Great topic!
Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firefly1957
08-22-2023, 11:06 AM
chutesnreloads I only read though the first page of comments what is the standard used for maximum power in the U.K. is it foot pounds or something else?

I do see that Amazon has five .22 caliber guns in stock I was not to impressed with the pellet weight and velocity. I have a barrel cocking Benjamin .25 caliber that shoots pellets between 34 & 37 foot pounds . It is quite hard to cock and the recoil is heck on scope mounts ! I got the gun when we were looking at homes in Florida were it would be needed for pests . Here I have no restrictions on what I can use so I am using it less and less . Since I bought the gun Michigan also removed air guns from the law so they are no longer considered firearms .

chutesnreloads
08-27-2023, 05:08 AM
I believe the maximum without a special permit in the U.K. is 12 ft.lbs.
I think you'll find the Notos in reality to be equal in power or even better than your break barrel.
I have a Benjamin break barrel with the "Nitro Piston". Shot over a chronograph, the Notos
is a little faster with the lighter pellets and considerably better with heavy ones. And it doesn't break scopes.

One thing I've discovered in my limited experience is that the PCPs generally are more efficient with the heavier pellets
than springers. All three of springers I've owned lose Muzzle energy as pellet weight increases due to less velocity.
Now that equals out down range with the heavy pellet's higher B.C. but you're 50 or more yards down range before that happens.

For me that is no help in the real world. Pellets do weird things beyond 50 yards especially if there's ANY wind.
The PCPs on the other hand increase M.E. right from the start as pellet weight goes up. More efficient

Camba
09-11-2023, 02:44 PM
I’ve got one on its way from PyramidAir.
I think it will be a good hunting air gun for me. Less weight to carry and good enough for squirrels and rabbits under 50 yards.

chutesnreloads
09-11-2023, 05:32 PM
For reliable headshots, I'd keep it under 35 but,,,,yeah, think you'll be happy with it

Camba
09-11-2023, 06:42 PM
This video helped me to “pull the trigger” and get one.
It can definitely be a lot of fun.
And yes. 35 yards for head shots is more likely. Which it is the distance I can see the squirrels when hunting them anyway.

https://youtu.be/5dfL2NYXazU?si=s0orOJb7ys2PrJwa

Camba

Camba
09-13-2023, 10:39 PM
Well, I did receive my Notos this afternoon. I fill up the air tank to 250 bar after I put it together. I used the single shot tray for one shot and then proceeded to load the magazine.
I noticed mounting the magazine felt kind of tricky but It worked. After emptying the 7-shot magazine I tried to take it out and I was not able to.

Is there any trick to do that?
Did you have the same issue as I am having?
Camba

georgerkahn
09-14-2023, 02:03 PM
Well, I did receive my Notos this afternoon. I fill up the air tank to 250 bar after I put it together. I used the single shot tray for one shot and then proceeded to load the magazine.
I noticed mounting the magazine felt kind of tricky but It worked. After emptying the 7-shot magazine I tried to take it out and I was not able to.

Is there any trick to do that?
Did you have the same issue as I am having?
Camba

I have had my Notos for a few months and the only "problem" I have had had been, well, putting air into it. For some reason, albeit it works well with a half dozen or so other PCP arms in my stable, I could not get a sufficient seal all the time from Nomad II compressor to the Notos. (My "guess" is their fill tube is slightly out of specs). Anyhoos, I put a 2nd air dryer in line of fill up hose, and this challenge has been met. On the Pyramid Air back-order list, the very day extra magazines came in I ordered (and subsequently received) three extra magazines -- so I now have four. All enter and are removed with zero difficulties! Just as my air-fill tube may be a tad out of whack, this may be the case with your magazine? One really, really great thing is the customer support they offer is a tad better than top-shelf. Ring them -- (479) 646-4210 -- and the odds are more than quite high you will get to speak with a very knowledgeable and helpful person, and if needed, (s)he will eMail you a pre-paid return label for their examination and replacement/repair -- gratis all, under warranty.
BEST!
geo

elmacgyver0
09-14-2023, 02:09 PM
I have a Beeman underlever and occasionally cannot remove the magazine, then I recall, Oh yes, I must cock it first.
Don't know if it is the same for the Notos, but sometimes the simplest things are the solution.
Occam's Razor

Camba
09-14-2023, 02:53 PM
I think I figure it out. The magazine goes in a little too much from left to right and it gets misaligned. It gets worst when you close the lever, as it pushes partially the pellet an jams. If I pull it back just a hear, I may be able to chamber the deformed pellet and fire it.
It does that more often than not.

Camba
09-14-2023, 03:16 PM
Georgerkahn,
Thank you for the info.
I called the (479) 640-4210 number and the guy that answered the call basically said they have no issues with the Notos magazine. He said I am welcomed to send my magazine to be tested with their Notos carabine. If it works on theirs, they send the same back. He went on to say that I may not know how to load the magazine. I said to him that I have 4 other PCP rifles and definitely know how to load them.
Then he said he was responding me with the line he is been given to respond.
That number is from Umarex.
I may call again at a different date and maybe I get a better response from a different service person. [emoji1]
Camba

W.R.Buchanan
09-14-2023, 03:24 PM
Yes you definitely need to have the gun cocked to remove the mag cuz of that probe that pushes the pellet into the chamber.

Randy

Camba
09-14-2023, 03:39 PM
I kept on playing with it and the key seems to be just to guide the magazine and let the magnet activate. I was pushing it in until stops and that is where it begins to slightly pass the chamber by a little (1/3 past the pellet diameter?).
Everything else seem to work fine so far.
I am going to pressurize it and leave it over the weekend to check for air leaks.

Camba
09-14-2023, 08:50 PM
Yes. I did have the gun cocked to pull the magazine out. It did not wanted to come out because it was jammed with a deformed pellet. I had to use a dowel and a rubber mallet (small) and tap tap a couple of times to release it. Basically, the pellet was jammed inside the magazine and the chamber. The bolt would not push it in and I did not force it because it could have been the last shot plastic.
Anyway, I believe I know now not to push the magazine beyond the magnet stop.

georgerkahn
09-15-2023, 10:07 AM
Yes. I did have the gun cocked to pull the magazine out. It did not wanted to come out because it was jammed with a deformed pellet. I had to use a dowel and a rubber mallet (small) and tap tap a couple of times to release it. Basically, the pellet was jammed inside the magazine and the chamber. The bolt would not push it in and I did not force it because it could have been the last shot plastic.
Anyway, I believe I know now not to push the magazine beyond the magnet stop.

Camba -- happy your education was an easy one -- not to push mag beyond mag stop. My first "I should've known" was with a costly air rifle where I elected to clean the barrel -- a patch with Ballistol -- before 1st shooting. OOPS! I did not have the requisite soda straw they do not tell one that should be inserted from muzzle to keep patch forever caught in baffles -- and it was a painful removal! (A trip to gunsmith + $35.00 USD bill!).
Happy shooting!
geo

elmacgyver0
09-15-2023, 03:04 PM
Glad you got it figured out.
Sometimes I spend an hour looking for a tool only to discover it was in my back pocket.

Camba
09-15-2023, 10:32 PM
I’ve just started shooting without cleaning the barrel just for functioning in my gun room. As soon as I get some time, I will be heading to the shooting range and test it there.
I like this little air gun. Easy to put it in a soft gun case for transportation.

chutesnreloads
09-17-2023, 05:57 AM
I've had same problem with my mag Camba. One thing I learned is not to cock it with the barrel pointed down. The next pellet will sometimes fall partly into the chamber then when you go to push the lever forward the pellet gets crooked. I see this mostly when I try removing a partially loaded magazine with the pellet catching the chamber.
Got a couple new mags but not tried them yet. Maybe it's the mag itself but keeping the gun level or the barrel elevated has seemed to
solve my issue

Camba
09-17-2023, 08:24 PM
I will do that. Great advice!