PDA

View Full Version : CVA Scout 300 Blackout as a Rook Rifle ?

vonfilm
03-12-2023, 07:03 PM
I am intrigued by the CVA Scout Takedown in 300 Blackout. I love that it has a 16.5” barrel and takes down easily without tools.It comes with a rail for easy scope mounting. All report that it has a nice crisp trigger and very good accuracy. With full power J word bullets it approximates 30-30 performance.

Certainly the price is right on these.

What I am wondering about is how it would work with 90-120 grain cast bullets with reduced loads in the 800-1300 fps range. Something like one could achieve with a .32 S&W Long, 32 HR Magnum, or 32-20.

Brass and ammo seems to have better availability than many other calibers and I could even get a 300 BO upper for my AR in the future.

Anyone have any experience loading bunny loads in this caliber?

MarkP
03-12-2023, 08:09 PM
I have loaded the 113 gr LEE and 93 gr RN in my 300 AAC bolt action over a few grainsof Red dot or E3.

vonfilm
03-13-2023, 10:17 PM
I have loaded the 113 gr LEE and 93 gr RN in my 300 AAC bolt action over a few grainsof Red dot or E3.

Mark P,
How are your boolits sized? What kind of accuracy did you get?

I was thinking about some 115 grain .309 RNHP cast boolits from GT Bullets with enough Bullseye to achieve about 1200 fps approximating 32-20 performance. I don’t know where I could find any load data for that application.

The 300 Blackout cartridge looks a lot like a 32-20 to me.

Jedman
03-14-2023, 07:59 AM
I have a single shot rifle chambered in a rimmed 300 blk out that has the case shortened.060 but the barrel is a 1-12 twist. Most true 300 blk out barrels are 1 - 8” or even 1 - 7” twist and have very long throats / leades before you reach the lands so you may find it hard to get short lightweight bullets to group ? I would go a little larger on the bullet diameter on cast bollits maybe as large as what you’re chamber will allow as with a .308-.309 you may get gas blowing past the bullet before it is in the lands.

You are out little if they don’t work out.

Jedman

popper
03-14-2023, 10:55 AM
It will work fine. I did it with red dot in my CVA BO. Note - the rail is weaver, not picatinny. 145gr PB so a bit heavier than you're wanting. Haven't tried with the Hornady half jacket 110 gr. Yes, light bullets have to be loaded real long so not much in the neck. I use 110 Vmax in BO, works great but at the cost, I don't load them light.
Always wanted a RB or rook rifle, scout does the job nicely at a lot less $$.

Grayone
03-14-2023, 11:21 AM
I am intrigued by the CVA Scout Takedown in 300 Blackout. I love that it has a 16.5” barrel and takes down easily without tools.It comes with a rail for easy scope mounting. All report that it has a nice crisp trigger and very good accuracy. With full power J word bullets it approximates 30-30 performance.

Certainly the price is right on these.

What I am wondering about is how it would work with 90-120 grain cast bullets with reduced loads in the 800-1300 fps range. Something like one could achieve with a .32 S&W Long, 32 HR Magnum, or 32-20.

Brass and ammo seems to have better availability than many other calibers and I could even get a 300 BO upper for my AR in the future.

Anyone have any experience loading bunny loads in this caliber?

I have a single shot CVA in 300 BO and have used many different loads in it. I have used it to take a couple of deer as well as many other critters around the farm. It is a joy to hunt with the 16.5 inch barrel. I have used the 90 grain lee SWC to a cast 245 grain bullet in its 1-8 twist. I has been accurate with powders from Bullseye to AA1680 and several in between. This has been an excellent caliber for a caster and reloader.

MarkP
03-14-2023, 10:01 PM
On a Star sizer with LARs BAC or CAR Red. 113's shot decent at 65 yds at lower velocity similar with 93 gr. 1,000 ish fps. The 113's shot Softball sized groups at 2,300 fps at 100 yds. 1:7 twist.

steve urquell
03-17-2023, 12:07 AM
I have a V2 .300BLK and shoot a lot of subsonic loads thru my suppressor. Here are some of my loads. ALso I have used the Titewad data for 32-20 here for my .300BLK with good results with the 150gr 30-30 bullet as well as the .30 carbine bullet. The pic of the 150gr below is 3 shots at 50yds in one hole.
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

https://i.imgur.com/AnVCA0J.jpeg
https://imgur.com/WmjmwJx.jpeg
https://imgur.com/B8DNnbO.jpeg
https://imgur.com/5JvuyzR.jpeg

HumptyDumpty
03-17-2023, 09:59 AM
It should work very well. I have had excellent results in 308, with 115gr flat points, originally cast for 32-20, resized to .309". I've accumulated a number of partially full cans, with several different pistol powders. My notes are temporarily misplaced, but it didn't seem to matter which powder I used; a modest starting charge, and loading for accuracy was all that it took to reliably smack a six-inch plate at 100 yards, with irons.

siamese4570
03-17-2023, 01:48 PM
It's good to hear all these good reports on the cva scout. I've been eye-ballin one in 44mag since the handi-rifles have got so stupid expensive. The only comment that I have to Vonfilms original post is I've never seen a rook.
Siamese4570

vonfilm
03-18-2023, 09:34 PM
I have a V2 .300BLK and shoot a lot of subsonic loads thru my suppressor. Here are some of my loads. ALso I have used the Titewad data for 32-20 here for my .300BLK with good results with the 150gr 30-30 bullet as well as the .30 carbine bullet. The pic of the 150gr below is 3 shots at 50yds in one hole.
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

https://i.imgur.com/AnVCA0J.jpeg
https://imgur.com/WmjmwJx.jpeg
https://imgur.com/B8DNnbO.jpeg
https://imgur.com/5JvuyzR.jpeg

Steve,
It is great to see your accuracy with 32-20 equivalent loads with light bullets. This makes for an extremely versatile rifle that can use 85-220 grain bullets and 32 S&W Long to 30-30 performance levels.

With the 16.5” barrel it’s still a handy length with a suppressor. Being able to take it down to a 16.5” bundle is a big plus.

steve urquell
03-19-2023, 08:11 AM
Steve,
It is great to see your accuracy with 32-20 equivalent loads with light bullets. This makes for an extremely versatile rifle that can use 85-220 grain bullets and 32 S&W Long to 30-30 performance levels.

With the 16.5” barrel it’s still a handy length with a suppressor. Being able to take it down to a 16.5” bundle is a big plus.

Oh yeah, accurate little rifle with a great trigger pull. If you didn't know it these are built by Bergara. I settled on a pretty light load of TiteWad and 110gr .30 carbine bullets for my everyday plinking loads. They weren't as accurate as the 150gr bullets but were good enough and super cheap. Since there is no published data on them I'll PM you the data.

One thing that's also awesome about this caliber and being a single-shot is the ability to push a pistol bullet to 2000+fps. The .30 Mauser bullets turn themselves inside out and end up being 1" in diameter and the XTPs nose explodes but the core remains intact and keeps penetrating.

I've loaded a full case of LilGun with an XTP on top and shot armadillos with them. You do have to find and pick up all the parts if it's too close to the house though. Pistol bullets at 2400fps are amazing. On the vid note the muzzle flash and the fact that the jug is blown into pieces. That's a full case of Lilgun and a 90gr XTP

https://i.imgur.com/wUZnwZA.png
https://i.imgur.com/8AnVWA0.png
https://youtu.be/DDsAUwZUNqM

steve urquell
03-19-2023, 08:44 AM
Another thing I wanted to share about seating pistol bullets in these cases is that I had a heck of a time keeping from cocking the bullets. I was using the Lee universal neck expander and it did not work well at all.

I went on Lee Precision's site and started looking at die parts. Ordered a .30 Carbine powder thru expander plug, .30 Mauser bullet seater plug, and a .32 ACP powder thru expander plug in case the .30carb wasn't big enough. The .30 carb was perfect put in my .38 powder thru expander die and I was able assemble the 86gr Mauser RN bullets with no cocking. I bet the .32 expander would be great for lead boolits.

At the time I ordered these parts Lee gave me the parts for free, I just had to pay shipping.

frkelly74
03-19-2023, 08:54 AM
I have some of those Hornady pistol Hp bullets that I got when I had a 30 mauser that I was wondering what to do with. Now I have an idea. I had tried them in my AR in 300 Bo and found they would not feed at all. But my Handy 30-30 might just enjoy eating them up.

steve urquell
03-19-2023, 09:29 AM
I have some of those Hornady pistol Hp bullets that I got when I had a 30 mauser that I was wondering what to do with. Now I have an idea. I had tried them in my AR in 300 Bo and found they would not feed at all. But my Handy 30-30 might just enjoy eating them up.
I wish I could find a pic of the 90gr XTPs I caught after firing at 2000+fps bt I can't find a pic

90gr XTP @950fps
https://i.imgur.com/8pt50Ts.jpeg

86gr .30Mauser @ 2000+fps:
https://i.imgur.com/VfATZk0.jpeg

ETA: I had forgotten we shot some of my loads over my FIL's chrono. Here is what we got:

..Powder..............Bullet...................... .COAL............Primer..............Velocity

16gr 2400......86gr Hornady SPRN.............1.720............CCI400.......... ......2266

16gr 2400......110gr Sierra HP..................1.950...........CCI400........ .........2214

4.5gr Unique.....150 X-treme Plated FP.......2.00............Rem 6 1/2.............1106

3.4gr Unique.......Hornady 90gr XTP...........1.647..........Tula SRP................964

popper
03-19-2023, 12:16 PM
Or 145gr PB @ 2150 with H110.

vonfilm
03-19-2023, 03:53 PM
You might try a Lyman M die for flaring the case necks.

This rifle is so versatile.

vonfilm
03-19-2023, 04:01 PM
I have taken several deer with a 165 Nosler ballistic tip in a 30-06 with great accuracy and devastating terminal effect. I wonder how this would work at 300 Blackout velocity.

steve urquell
03-19-2023, 05:27 PM
You can load that weight to 1700fps but the minimum expansion velocity on it is 1600fps. Most use the 110 to 125grs loaded to 2000-2400fps.

vonfilm
03-30-2023, 08:58 PM
I ordered a Scout V2 Takedown in 300 Blackout from my local gun shop at a better price than is currently being offered on Gunbroker. No ETA, but they said they will fill the order when their CVA distributor receives another batch.

Now I need to get some brass and reloading dies. I see that Boyd’s Gunstocks offers walnut replacement stocks and forends if I want a more traditional look.

steve urquell
03-30-2023, 11:34 PM
I ordered a Scout V2 Takedown in 300 Blackout from my local gun shop at a better price than is currently being offered on Gunbroker. No ETA, but they said they will fill the order when their CVA distributor receives another batch.

Now I need to get some brass and reloading dies. I see that Boyd’s Gunstocks offers walnut replacement stocks and forends if I want a more traditional look.
Wow, never knew about Boyd's making stocks. Hope ya get your rifle soon .

popper
04-17-2023, 12:16 PM
I got the Boyd's thumbhole stock for mine and left the stock foreend. Increases the weight a tad. Also got a different (steel) rail for scope as it comes with a weaver style so mounts with a lug won't work.

vonfilm
07-27-2023, 12:32 AM

Today I finally received my Scout 300 Blackout. I had almost given up on it. My first thought is to install a B&L Elite 3200 2.5-10 scope that I have on hand. Then get some factory loads and see how well it shoots. I thought they were supposed to come with a little case to hold the taken down carbine, but alas not. The trigger seems very nice out of the box.
I look forward to getting some reloading dies and see how well it does with 32-20 power loads with 90-115 grain boolits. I think I have a box of Speer 100 grain j word plinkers to try.

dverna
07-27-2023, 06:08 AM
Looking forward to your range report.

If you can, would you measure the trigger pull? Thanks.

popper
07-27-2023, 10:10 AM
The rail is weaver, not pictinny. Nope, just cardboard box. Mine shoots very well. Was at the LGS, nope, no 110 vmax or any decent bullets in stock. I typically run 145gr cast @ ~1700 fps in mine.

Daekar
08-01-2023, 02:09 PM
Great to see folks are so happy with these. I was tickled when I saw they were available, they seemed to be the perfect all purpose do anything rifle for the discerning tinkerer who values their hearing.

Iron369
08-01-2023, 03:17 PM
I don’t understand the reasoning for this one. For nearly $400 an decent upper receiver for the ar15 can be bought/built and MUCH more versatile. Plus it’s much scarier.

Daekar
08-01-2023, 04:07 PM
I don’t understand the reasoning for this one. For nearly $400 an decent upper receiver for the ar15 can be bought/built and MUCH more versatile. Plus it’s much scarier.

I think this is one of those things where the folks who want one of these actively don't want some qualities of an AR. The strengths of this type of gun lie in a different direction.
Folks like this kind of gun for its simplicity, reliability, flexibility, and the aesthetic experience.
This gun doesn't make any noise or move after the shot.
This gun doesn't care if you violate cartridge overall length limits.
This gun doesn't care about bullet profile or feeding.
This gun doesn't spit out brass or require a catcher.
This gun doesn't stop working right if you change the power of a load.
It's easy to see the condition of the chamber
This gun suppresses extremely well without having to worry about gas settings.
This gun is shorter for a given barrel length.
... I could go on, but I think you probably get the point. If you're only going to have one gun for every job or if you're kicking doors, well yeah, the AR is probably a better choice. If you're lucky enough to have other guns to cover defense applications, though, there is a lot to be said for something simple like this. I have a Henry rifle that is really similar, and I would rather spend an afternoon with it than any semi-auto centerfire rifle I have ever used.

vonfilm
08-01-2023, 05:11 PM
Daekar, I think you pretty well covered the reasons for a single shot. I have always loved single shot air rifles and I don’t think I’ve ever taken a second shot on wild game. My plan is to use this for a wide variety of loadings, especially reduced loads that wouldn’t cycle an AR action.

Today I drove to my closest public range, only to find it padlocked and permanently closed. I had purchased a prewar H&R folding .410 shotgun there a couple of months ago. I think it has been there for over 50 years. New owners have been operating it for awhile.

I am thinking about a 300 BO AR in the future. I keep thinking about a Fostech Magnesium receiver combo with a Faxon pencil barrel, carbon fiber stock and hand guard, lightweight bolt carrier group, adjustable gas system, and titanium small bits. Some are getting under 4 pounds with sights.

lead chucker
08-09-2023, 12:19 AM
Single shots are great rifles. I have a scout in 44 mag. It shoots good, trigger is nice and it fits my shoulder a lot better than my H&R single shot I use it a lot for a test rifle. Shot one deer with it. A 44 mag is still big enough to kill a deer. I have a Ruger American in 300 Black Out and it has a 1/7 twist it is a tack driver with 14 gr 2400 with a Lee 170 gr FN GC. Even with the fast twist it shoots cast boolits really good which surprised me.

frkelly74
08-09-2023, 07:36 AM
I do really like to shoot my Handy rifle. It is a 30/30 and I have loaded it with cast and have a red dot on it and it just works. It is the first rifle I ever loaded cast for back when there was only the lyman manual for information and I didn't even have a computer. It was " I wonder if this will even work ? " every time. I had a single cavity 160 gr mold that was about $15 new and was in a brave new world using it. Those were the days. AR rifles are a lot more fussing around, oddly I have only one Handy, and multiple AR platform guns. I got the first one back when Obama was going to ban them. It was kind of a knee jerk reaction.

popper
08-09-2023, 12:05 PM
Put an IR scope on my AR BO for night hogs. CVA is fun for testing loads, don't burn nearly as much ammo (primers are expensive now). Can't walk far so is a good rifle on the ATV at the ranch. Got a fixed 4x scope on it.

Gray Fox
08-10-2023, 10:18 AM
I'm just putting my own rook/stalking NEF .30-30 rifle together. I got it two weeks ago from a fellow shooter who bought the rifle with its pre-Marlin standard rifling to use it as a cast boolit gun. He never put a round through it and decided to pass it on for what he had in it. I just put a Skinner aperture sight on it and I'm going to see what I can get it to shoot well before this fall's deer and hog hunting. Unfortunately, my closest range is 90 minutes away in good traffic. GF

doghawg
08-10-2023, 12:06 PM
I think this is one of those things where the folks who want one of these actively don't want some qualities of an AR. The strengths of this type of gun lie in a different direction.
Folks like this kind of gun for its simplicity, reliability, flexibility, and the aesthetic experience.
This gun doesn't make any noise or move after the shot.
This gun doesn't care if you violate cartridge overall length limits.
This gun doesn't care about bullet profile or feeding.
This gun doesn't spit out brass or require a catcher.
This gun doesn't stop working right if you change the power of a load.
It's easy to see the condition of the chamber
This gun suppresses extremely well without having to worry about gas settings.
This gun is shorter for a given barrel length.
... I could go on, but I think you probably get the point. If you're only going to have one gun for every job or if you're kicking doors, well yeah, the AR is probably a better choice. If you're lucky enough to have other guns to cover defense applications, though, there is a lot to be said for something simple like this. I have a Henry rifle that is really similar, and I would rather spend an afternoon with it than any semi-auto centerfire rifle I have ever used.

Well said! +1