PDA

View Full Version : I've Never Seen Anything Like This California Blizzard Disaster

OS OK
03-12-2023, 04:39 PM
I've Never Seen Anything Like This California Blizzard Disaster

https://youtu.be/bY37Ihft4wI

Larry Gibson
03-12-2023, 05:23 PM
oh wah, wah wah......

15 - 20 years of "drought" and they have no memory. Or they bought into "climate change" where the world is really getting warmer.... They moved up into the mountains because it was so nice and pretty with a good climate, at least the last 15 - 20 years. Maybe they should remember it's the Cascade and Sierra Nevada Mountains. Was just coming back home from Washington along the east side of those mountains {I know better than to travel through the mountains this time of year] and you should have heard the truckers and other idiots whining and sniveling because I-80 was closed before, through and west of Donner pass. Why they never heard of such a thing...!!!! Perhaps they never heard of why Donner Pass is named that. Had one idiot checking into the same motel in Hawthorne as I was who was astounded there were stretches of roads with as much as 140 miles between gas stations. He didn't even know the snow plows didn't take it down to bare dry pavement. But then he was going north to Seatle and was riding a motorcyle (dirt bike type) with a two gallon tank and, maybe, a 90 mile range.

He was thinking of going over the mountains to go up I-5. I told him his best chance of living was to rent a Uhaul truck to put the bike in and drive to Washington staying on the east side of the mountais to the Columbia River then go west on I-84 to Portland then north on I-5. I also suggested if he goes over Donner and gets snowbound and has to resort to cannabalism to eat healthy by going for vegans....they're grass fed........:lol:

MUSTANG
03-12-2023, 05:45 PM
Larry, enjoyed the post. Experienced a lot of the areas your discussing over the Years. Even Remember when Hawthorne still had all the Old Warehouses, Billeting, and Administrative buildings before they were all knocked down at the Base. Used to have a couple Dozen 14" and 16" Naval Gun Barrels on Wooden Chocks out there too. Any trip across the Mountains to California through (Fill in the Blank) passes was iffy and potentially dangerous November to May back then too.

In the 1950s early 1980's The USMC's Mountain Warfare Training Center (Just down from the Sonora Pass) was all Quonset huts. Prior to the last 20 or so year dry/warm cycle; during the winters the Marines had to dig Snow Tunnels between the Billeting, Office, and Mess Quonset Huts because the snow was way over the top of the Quonset Huts.

Randy Bohannon
03-12-2023, 06:58 PM
Weather yes it happens even in CA, there’s a reason CA has what is now called a DELTA and it’s big and drains all of NorCal. & the Sierra’s . Only a surprise to those who’s history started ten years ago.

tunnug
03-12-2023, 08:22 PM
Too funny, by the way Sierra Nevada is Spanish for Snowed Mountain.

Noah Zark
03-12-2023, 08:43 PM
The presenter of the video is a self-professed master of self promotion of his company and its website for listing and selling diesel powered vehicles. He won't let a good blog subject go to waste.

And as the others have stated, if Dave hasn't seen snow like that before, he's just too young.

Noah

Land Owner
03-13-2023, 05:26 AM
Hey! What's all that white sutff?

LO, Native Floridian

Cosmic_Charlie
03-13-2023, 06:14 AM
I remember the runoff from the 2010/2011 snowpack in the Northern Rockies. Drove out to Spokane and was wowed by the Yellowstone river running brim full in late June. The Pend Oreille River in N.E. Washington State was charging along too. The Missouri was flooding as well and Fort Lincoln State Park was closed near Bismarck where I had planned to camp. That runoff in the Northern Sierras will be spectacular and will move a lot of gold around in the streams.

Gator 45/70
03-13-2023, 09:34 AM
No worries, The Cajun Navy is up there saving folks.

WRideout
03-13-2023, 10:02 AM
The only time I ever got frostbite on my feet was in 1960-something in the Coast Foothills of Ventura County California. They get snow in the upper elevations annually, although not too much, usually. I was hiking and camping one weekend after a light snowfall, but had failed to bring adequate cold weather gear. The Boy Scouts used to promote the idea that a layer of newspaper was good for insulation, but THAT IS A LIE!

My hometown of Oxnard, CA has a lot of nice beachfront property. Sonny and Cher used to own a house there. Every seven or eight years, there is a big storm out at sea that brings the tidal surge up into the first row of custom homes. Since no one has lived there more than three years, they have no idea that this will happen. The houses get wiped out, later rebuilt, and another new person buys a great piece of beachfront property.

Wayne

contender1
03-13-2023, 11:59 AM
It's just God's way of saying; "I'm still in charge."

Idaho45guy
03-13-2023, 12:11 PM
He didn't even know the snow plows didn't take it down to bare dry pavement. But then he was going north to Seatle and was riding a motorcyle (dirt bike type) with a two gallon tank and, maybe, a 90 mile range.

I wonder what bike he was riding? I've never heard of a dual sport with a gas tank that small, or mileage that bad. I ride a Kawasaki KLR 650 and it has a 6-gallon tank and gets at least 50 mpg.

The new hip thing among city folks is to ride these smaller, uncomfortable, buzzy dual sport motorcycles on long trips that involve the occasional gravel road.

I just watched a popular youtuber last night reviewing his new toy hauler and he made the comment that he was "in the woods" enjoying nature and he was in a campground that was all paved and you could hear traffic going by constantly on the nearby highway.

MostlyLeverGuns
03-13-2023, 06:47 PM
East of Eden - John Steinbeck - 1952, he talks about the California drought cycle, 30 year cycle more or less, drove up Donner Pass many years ago (mid 80's), April(?) but there was snow stacked 30-40 feet high. Lived outside Denver - 8700 feet - lots of people don't understand weather in the high mountains, still see it on I80 in Wyoming, sometimes closes for days, the folks in shorts and T-shorts are not happy.

BrassMagnet
03-13-2023, 08:59 PM
Hey! What's all that white sutff?

LO, Native Floridian

Global Warming is the white stuff!

So I got a nice deal on my new truck a bunch of years ago. It is even Camouflage!
I thought it was white. My Floriduh friend informed me it is really "Extreme Arctic Camouflage!"
I never knew. I just knew white was cheaper and cooler in the summer.

Randy Bohannon
03-13-2023, 09:33 PM
Lots of new placer gold will be washed into the rivers and streams,only reason to visit. Might get lucky and find a whopper nugget or two, twenty pound nugget not to many years ago on the Touolmne River.

deces
03-13-2023, 10:05 PM
You guys got some good chuckles out of me with this thread, thanks!

varmintpopper
03-14-2023, 01:19 AM
Weather yes it happens even in CA, there’s a reason CA has what is now called a DELTA and it’s big and drains all of NorCal. & the Sierra’s . Only a surprise to those who’s history started ten years ago.

Tamarack Calif holds the USA and World record for the most snow fall with 451 Inches (37.5 Feet). Yes it does snow in California !

Good Shooting

Lindy

fatnhappy
03-14-2023, 10:01 AM
Buffalo and Oswego are laughing

white eagle
03-14-2023, 10:28 AM
that is global warming for ya

farmbif
03-14-2023, 11:23 AM
dont know anything about California or diesel Dave and his fancy vehicles but all my fruit trees flowered this week and its forecast to go down to 23 tonight with possible snow. just my luck, another year with no peaches, pears, cherries or apples

Scrounge
03-14-2023, 11:30 AM

I moved from just outside LA to western Colorado in the summer of 1970. That winter it was 20 below in our area of CO. It snowed in LA that winter.

Ickisrulz
03-14-2023, 11:30 AM
I wonder what bike he was riding? I've never heard of a dual sport with a gas tank that small, or mileage that bad. I ride a Kawasaki KLR 650 and it has a 6-gallon tank and gets at least 50 mpg.

The new hip thing among city folks is to ride these smaller, uncomfortable, buzzy dual sport motorcycles on long trips that involve the occasional gravel road.

I just watched a popular youtuber last night reviewing his new toy hauler and he made the comment that he was "in the woods" enjoying nature and he was in a campground that was all paved and you could hear traffic going by constantly on the nearby highway.

I'm not a city person, but I have a CRF250L that I ride around on. It has a 2.1 gallon tank and gets around 60 MPG. With strong wind it uses more fuel. I'd need some extra fuel to make it 140 miles...although I wouldn't set out on a trip that far on that little bike.

Duckiller
03-20-2023, 04:42 PM
While this years storms are impressive I would suggest that So, Cal. in 1968 got a truely impressive storm that snuck up on everyone in a time before satelites. Hit a freshly burned area and tried to cover large parts of Glendora in mud, lots of mud. Then some time in the late 50s I believe The Smith, Kalmath and Eel rivers got hit with an unbelievable storm(s). Drve through the area in the summer and you will see high water marked on power pole 1`0 feet in the air 1/2 mile or more from any river. Supposedly a 10,000 year storm. Life magazine had impressive coverage. It really impressed a mid-west teenage boy.

MaryB
03-21-2023, 01:00 PM
Winter of 96/97 in Western MN... 128 inches of snow... everyone then was saying they had never seen that but I remember just as bad of winters growing up. This winter is at 90% of that snowfall... difference now is they learned how to handle the drifts better and they use bulldozers to push the snow way out into farmers fields where it acts as a snow fence the next time it snows and blows. Spring of 97 was bad... Minnesota River near me had every bridge covered from the SD Border to New Ulm. Trying to get freight at work became a nightmare with tucks going 300 miles out of the way to find an open bridge to cross. That was the year Grand Forks flooded really bad...

jonp
03-25-2023, 07:49 PM
Someone from government save me! No love for people who cant and wont help themselves especially that grown ass man who starts crying on camera. Grow a pair, Waldo

BLAHUT
03-25-2023, 08:06 PM
I've Never Seen Anything Like This California Blizzard Disaster

https://youtu.be/bY37Ihft4wI

These mental giants move to the mountains because it's pretty, without a clue as to what could and will happen, no preparedness for snow, extra food, extra firewood, gas for generator, sled, be it gas powdered or dog powder, large kettle to melt snow for water, snowshoes, warm clothes, battery powered lights, battery powdered radio ?? I have seen over 8' of snow fall in one weekend. If they live, they may learn, now will they remember ??? Prospectors are loving this, this will replenish lots of gold in the streams...
OH; how I miss living in the mountains...

OS OK
03-25-2023, 08:35 PM
These mental giants move to the mountains because it's pretty, without a clue as to what could and will happen, no preparedness for snow, extra food, extra firewood, gas for generator, sled, be it gas powdered or dog powder, large kettle to melt snow for water, snowshoes, warm clothes, battery powered lights, battery powdered radio ?? I have seen over 8' of snow fall in one weekend. If they live, they may learn, now will they remember ??? Prospectors are loving this, this will replenish lots of gold in the streams...
OH; how I miss living in the mountains...

People like you on this forum have me convinced now, for sure and for certain...that God did not create all men equal.

abunaitoo
03-27-2023, 01:33 PM
It's all that hot air they create.
They have to learn not to look for things to get mad at.
Mad is bad.