PDA

View Full Version : PW 375 wow

omgb
03-12-2023, 03:33 PM
I know this forum is mostly about metalic reloading but...if you love good machinery then you will appreciate this post. I have several shotshell presses. My first, which I still have, is a Lee Loadall from 1978. It actually makes a pretty good shell. I ought to know, I killed loads of ducks and upland game birds with shells made on that machine. I even took a white tail deer with a load of number five assembled on that machine. However, it could be picky about the hulls and, it had limited load selection. I replaced that machine with an Eagle single stage. It was ok. It used the same bushings Hornady used so I bought a bunch of them. As my shooting needs grew, I invested in a couple of Hornady 366s. They were great for 12 gauge but there was no tooling available for 16 ga. So when I moved away from 12 into 16, I needed a new press. Along came a Hornady 266. This was great. Same bushings, same everything but, man did this press struggle with Black Remington game loads. Those crappy hulls would wrinkle, refuse to crimp, bulge, you name it. Use Fiochi and it worked slicker than snail snot. I also acquired a DL155 about this same time. I set it up for my new "best gauge" the 28. It works fine. Somewhere along the line, I bought a very old, as in 1960s, Ponsness Warren 375. I tried loading 16 gauge on it but the old die was set up for paper hulls and I suspect, short hulls. At any rate, I couldn't get it to work and set it aside for about 15 years. Then came a month ago as I was moving it to clean. I got fed up with it not doing anything but it looked too finely made and machined to get rid of it. So I called PW and ended up sending them the tool head to get dialed in. They updated the dies, cleaned the head and added the new upper cap that allows you to change bushings without draining the hoppers.

Well, it arrived two weeks ago and I set it up. Dang if that machine didn't make the most beautiful crimps! Those old Black Remmys? Piece of cake. This is absolutely the best single stage shotshell press I have every used and is far less finicky that my progressive. 100 rounds and hour is easy. 150 if I rush. Those folks at PW make a really fine piece of machinery. Oh, I have a Mec Grabber I won't be using. I may have to sell it here. It's almost factory new.
Reece

WRideout
03-12-2023, 03:37 PM
Congratulations on breathing life back into that shotshell loader! I too have a penchant for fixing old things to use.

Wayne

jsizemore
03-12-2023, 04:36 PM
I got one from a member here. Already had 2 grabbers in 12ga. (6&8 fold crimps) and a 9000g in 410. Got the 375 and loved the way it fold crimped buckshot loads. Took me a few years to buy the taper crimp upgrade and the 410 dies a couple years after that. What a great loader. Got 200 rounds of Win AA HS loaded with 1 ounce of #4 buck. All my shotguns love them.

dverna
03-12-2023, 05:28 PM
PW reloaders with the improved crimp die make the best crimps in the industry. I, or either of my two trap shooting buddies, could not get the same quality of crimp out of a Spolar...and the Spolar now sells for north of $3000.

You made the right decision to resurrect that press. BTW I have an 800+ with AutoDrive and two 375's

sukivel
03-12-2023, 11:12 PM
I have a 375 in 12 gauge. It’s the funnest press to load with and makes great looking shells.

I goofed around and didn’t get toolheads setup for 16, 20, and 410 like I wanted. They are way more expensive and hard to find now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G W Wade
03-13-2023, 12:55 AM
I have been pulling the handle on a 375 for over 40 years now. Hard to believe how great it works. If someone sees my reloads, they do not believe they are home made! I did back it up with an 800 C afew years ago, but keep turning back to the 375...And have lots of accessories I have aquired over the years. GW

dale2242
03-13-2023, 01:12 PM
My wife and I loaded thousands of rounds of 12 gauge on a 375 when we were shooting trap.
Another of those things that i wish That I hadn`t sold.
They are an awesome shotshell loader.

jsizemore
03-13-2023, 02:44 PM
Ballistic Products uses the 375 to load all their test shotshells.

Scorpion8
03-13-2023, 02:53 PM
I picked up a PW-375 on a whim to try, after using a Pacific DL-366. The -375 is a beast of a machine, very well-engineered and makes a beee-ooooo-tif-ful loaded shell. My only drawback is the multiple arm pulls to get one shell. Even if I use my DL-366 (I have two) in non-auto-progressive mode, I get great shells once with each arm pull. The PW-600 looks like a 1/2-thought between -375 and -800 evolution. But I will admit also, and very emphatically, the PW has superb customer service for these older machines. And yea, I've been through DL-105's, DL-155, DL-266, MEC-600, MEC 761R Grabber and a Texan fw-12. Pros and cons everywhere.