PDA

View Full Version : Old Shells. How To Tell If Shouldn't Use?

jonp
03-12-2023, 03:04 PM
Just going through some shells bought at auction along with other stuff probably 150 or so. Some have bad grime, a few obvious erosion of the metal so those are a toss but how to tell if the others are good to fire? I used some steel wool to clean them up and have 20 or so slugs and buckshot which i would like to use but are they safe to fire

Shawlerbrook
03-12-2023, 04:52 PM
As long as they are not bulged or corroded I would say they would be safe. If there’s a problem they most likely will be misfires. Wouldn’t use them for hunting or self defense and also if they were unknown reloads.

remy3424
03-12-2023, 05:16 PM
I would break them down and use the shot anyway.

stubshaft
03-12-2023, 06:38 PM
If they are not bulged, and/or corroded, they would make great plinking and skeet shells.

elmacgyver0
03-12-2023, 06:45 PM
If they were properly stored, they are most likely as good as the day were made.

toot
03-13-2023, 06:47 AM
are they paper or plastic. some times when the hulls are very old the base brass will get very brittle and crack upon firing.

atr
03-13-2023, 02:07 PM
I've got old shells from way back in the 1950's from my Dad's shooting days, paper hulls and they still work! Never had a miss-fire. these are all factory loads and not re-loads
best
atr

ulav8r
03-14-2023, 12:58 AM
Dad had an old paper hull buckshot shell that the overshot wad was slightly bulged. He decided to try it as it was the only one like it that he had. When fired it sounded like a sort of "bloop". The shot went about 15-20 feet. It was a blue paper hull with a yellow sticker over the end that had the shot size printed on it. That was some time in the early 1960's.

jonp
03-14-2023, 03:53 AM
are they paper or plastic. some times when the hulls are very old the base brass will get very brittle and crack upon firing.

A couple of paper but mostly plastic. It appears that the only problems are the bases with lots of grime. I cleaned with steel wool and other than that they look ok but some are very old including one that looks to have a copper base? I didn't know anyone used copper or is it just a variation of the regular base.

toot
03-14-2023, 07:00 AM
A couple of paper but mostly plastic. It appears that the only problems are the bases with lots of grime. I cleaned with steel wool and other than that they look ok but some are very old including one that looks to have a copper base? I didn't know anyone used copper or is it just a variation of the regular base.

thank you for the reply/ I also have seen & shot copper based hulls that were MFG. by MONARK or MOHAWK , I can't remember witch? these were my dads' hulls, I shot them some time after WW2.

Adam Helmer
03-14-2023, 01:31 PM

jonp,
There is a big difference between price and value. Old shells bought at auctions, etc., are an UNKNOWN item. Since you do not know how this ammo was stored over the years, the only value I see is the components therein.

I value my guns too much to fire suspect loads in any of them. Same for powder at yard sales. UNLESS the can is factory sealed, I pass it by. Partial cans of powder could be anything. A gun club member destroyed his pristine 03-A3 on the range last year with a mild cast boolit load ahead of a mild charge of a dollar partial can of gun powder. No bargain there at any price! The shooter only had minor injuries; total for his 03-A3.

Adam

Electrod47
03-14-2023, 02:14 PM
Anyone familiar with the shooting sports should have a strong sense of self preservation. With that said, any little wiggle in that resolve can come with less than satisfactory results.

jonp
03-14-2023, 06:58 PM
Im versed somewhat with rifles and handguns but not shotguns which is why im asking advice from the good members on this forum

Adam Helmer
03-15-2023, 01:41 PM
jonp,
Point well taken, you asked for advice. I am suspect of OLD ammo. I am suspect of partial cans of gunpowder because the Number on the can may NOT reflect the contents! I would never use steel wool to erase corrosion on any shells I would put in any of my guns. Whatever.
I have no way of knowing if your ammo is safe to fire in your guns. If it was cheap enough to possibly destroy your guns, that is your call.
Be well.
Adam

Ithaca Gunner
03-16-2023, 12:25 PM
A fellow gave me a paper grocery bag full of boxes of old Winchester Western Hi-brass #6 shot paper hulls, I dated them to 1957. Only one box had any missing and the shells are in perfect order. Would I shoot them? Yes, without hesitation, except they have collector value and I have other shells for shooting. In fact, the boxes still have their original hand written price stickers on them from the store.

Txcowboy52
03-16-2023, 01:28 PM
From your description of the shells, I wouldn’t be afraid to use them, like others have said plinking or at clays. Some one else said if they are bad they most likely won’t fire. I’ve been loading shotgun hulls for over forty years , never had an issue, knock on wood.

jonp
03-18-2023, 06:12 AM
I would never use steel wool to erase corrosion on any shells I would put in any of my guns.

Nor would I but my post clearly said I will toss the shells with corrosion. It's just grime from being stored on a garage shelf I cleaned off. The shells themselves appear undamaged with no bulges or anything.

Texas by God
03-20-2023, 10:00 AM
Old ammunition doesn’t gain pressure as time goes by. It will either work(go bang) or it won’t.
A break open single shot or double barrel makes sense for their use because of easy access to poke the wads out from a shell that went pfft- boop( technical term).
I was going to use some old paper buckshot shells to break some hanging tree limbs with; only two out of 14 actually fired. My thoughts of saving the buck shot were dashed when I cut one open and saw the horribly oxidized shot. The remaining shells are on display now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk