PDA

View Full Version : could this be a problem?

chromecrow
01-20-2006, 03:50 PM
I got up this morning at 2am because it had been 10 hours just like the jar of bedding compound said to wait. The moment of truth. Had I permanently glued the gun together rendering it usless?? Had I properly applied the release agent?? Did I fill all the nooks and crannies with clay?? It acted like it didnt want to but I coaxed the parts apart. I dream of one hole groups. Will it just stack 'em now. Dangit I have to wait 2 and a half days now till the bedding fully cures. This might turn out to be a benchrest capable Winchester 94!! Thats right I glass bedded my 94's foreend and buttstock. Could I have a problem? Oh yeah, the UPS guy should be bringing my Anhydrous lanolin today and I can start experimenting with lube recepies. John.

Blacktail 8541
01-20-2006, 05:13 PM
If You Got It Apart I Can't See Much Of A Problem. It Should Keep The Stocks From Splitting And Getting Loose. One Hole Accuracy, I Doubt It . But It Can Not Hurt At All. Bedding Is Usally Used As An Accuracy Aid For Not So Good Action To Stock Fit. It Provides A Consistant Bed For The Action To Be Torqued To. And Provide Consistant Harmonics. Yuor Winchester Can Not Have A Bedded Action Because Of Design. On The Bright Side ,it Will Provide Stength And Weather Proofing To Your Wood And Keep It From Working Loose As Easliy.

chromecrow
01-20-2006, 05:51 PM
I was concerned that the problem may be somewhere inside my brain for glassing a levergun in the first place.

carpetman
01-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Chromecrow---You got up at 2am because the directions said to do so? Do you perhaps have a lawn mower that says"change oil every four hours" and you are getting up twice a night?

grumble
01-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Crow, bedding a rifle is a good thing.

On a lever gun, a nice even joint with no gaps between the tang and the wood will do great things for both accuracy and strength.

Bedding the forearm though, might take you in the opposite direction. You want the front of the rifle to be "loosey-goosey" to allow for barrel vibrations. On my lever guns, I take a thout or two off the receiver end of the magazine tube and the forearm wood. Then to keep it from rattling, I use silicone calk along the mag tube and at the end of the forepiece where it touches the receiver. This allows the barrel to vibrate freely while stopping the racket while carrying the gun.

If you get improved accuracy with your bedding, that's GREAT! If not, try giving the barrel some room to flop around.

w30wcf
01-20-2006, 06:37 PM
chromecrow,

You might find that after you shoot the rifle a bit, the recoil will lossen up the forestock.......if the release agent did its job. Also, the barrel heat would help in that regard.

A number of years ago, I glass bedded the forearm of my dad's '94 Winchester (1938) for about 3" along the barrel channel in addition to creating a little clearance between the barrel bands and the barrel. It shoots very well.

Good luck,
w30wcf

madcaster
01-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Doesn't it help to use dry ice or something to break the bond on a gone awry glass bedding job somehow?Seems like I've seen that somewhere,probably in Gunsmith Kinks by Brownells?

grumble
01-20-2006, 07:23 PM
crhomecrow: "...It acted like it didnt want to but I coaxed the parts apart..."

He got the bedded parts apart, guys.

That dry ice idea is a good 'un, though!

chromecrow
01-20-2006, 08:07 PM
the forearm was a little too loosey goosey i believe. The gun was bought used maybe not the origional furniture? I usually get up at 2:30 anyway( garbageman you know) and I usually like to have a little time before leaving to drink coffee, eat a little breakfast and peruse the "Cast Boolit Gunloads" forums. I figured I was the only nut that would be nuts enough th try such a thing. I should have known better!! Maybe I can glass the handle on my pocket knife so's itt'l cut more straighter!!

Blackwater
01-21-2006, 12:38 AM
Crow, Mick McPherson's book, "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" is one of the few books to go into accurizing levers, pumps and autos, and it's a real good book to have. If you don't have a copy, get one. I think you'll glean a LOT of good info from it.

And BTW, I quit using that release agent that comes with the bedding kits long ago. After doing some dozen or more stocks, I had noted how it peeled off the metal easily, like a skin. I didn't think anything of it until I did a rifle for a good freind, and it STUCK! I put it in the freezer time and time again, and it just was NOT going to let go. Finally got the big rubber hammer and got it apart. A tiny piece of the bedding about 3/32" x 1 3/4" was all that was holding it in, but hand pressure alone, up to the point I was afraid of bending the barrel, would NOT let it go. Since then, I've been using shoe polish or Johnson's Paste Wax, and there's never been even a hint of wanting to stick. The wax doesn't peel off like that old bedding release agent did, but has to be rubbed off with paper towels and a solvent to get clean again.

One other tip on bedding - use a candle, dripping it into any recesses you really don't want the bedding to go, or that would allow a mechanical lock on the piece when bedding. Modelling clay works for that too, but the candle wax is harder and less subject to being squeezed into the recesses where you don't want the bedding to go.

As to levergun and other 2-pc. stocked forends, sometimes you have to try different setups before you get it shooting like it had eyes, but it's well worth the effort in the long run. McPherson's book will give you some things to think about that I think you'll find interesting. Good on ya' for gittin' it done!

waksupi
01-21-2006, 02:36 AM
I glass bed several rifles a week. Our usual method of removal, is to pad the bench top well, and give the barrel a pretty good whack, to break it loose from the glasss. Works darn well. I learned this from our head man, who is a real honest to Gawd gunsmith. He should have shown me this thirty years ago, I wouldn't have been near so ginger trying to get barreled actions out of my stocks. Of course, he wasn't even born thirty years ago, so there would be that particular problem...

chromecrow
01-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Yes, I have seem Mcphersons book ( maybe in Midways catalog) It sounded like probably a interesting read. I was really just aiming to bed the forearm to get rid of what I felt was excessive slop. Well that worked perfectly but a couple of days later with left over compound a little extra time and the inability to leave things alone... I probably cant shoot well enough to see any improvement anyway!!